• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detroit: Become Human has sold 8 million copies

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
detroitbecomehumanfeatured.jpg

Quantic Dream's Detroit: Become Human has reached 8 million copies sold. According to the developer, that number accounts for its PlayStation 4 and PC releases (most sales are from the former), but notably excludes its availability on subscription services like PlayStation Plus.

The success of Detroit is joined by a reported "significant increase" in sales for Quantic Dream's earlier titles, 2013's Beyond: Two Souls and 2010's Heavy Rain. All three games released on PC in 2019, but the sales for each title reportedly increased compared to 2021.

"We are delighted to introduce our works to an ever wider and younger audience, and on all continents," wrote Quantic Dream's co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumière. Fondaumière called it an "unusual phenomenon" that could be attributed in part to the studio's publishing team and the games' appeal to the PC market.

Following the release of Detroit, Quantic Dream was acquired by NetEase and is currently developing Star Wars Eclipse for the PlayStation 5. With the NetEase acquisition, the developer said it would continue "bringing high-quality triple-A video game experiences to players worldwide."

sounds good, considering that a lot of "real" gamers despise QTE-games and or Cages writing and are then voicing their distaste/hate, so word of mouth is probably rather bad at the launch of any of their games.

I like 'em, a lot, Detroit certainly the most and even Beyond was fine.

And while multiplatform is nice for everyone, I wonder why Sony did not make them one of theirs, since Heavy Rain was maybe for some an exclusive that highlighted the PS3 library. At least it was important for me back then. But they also did not close the ties with Until Dawn maker. imo weird.

Wish them success with Netease as their overlords.

Star Wars is a big opportunity for them, but also a real test to see if their gameplay can be picked up by a mainstream audience.

Obviously, 8 million copies suggest that it can, but I wonder if they can replicate the elements that made their past games successful i.e. heavy marketing and association with PlayStation.

Now they'll be multiplatform and have a big IP attached so they could go on to sell 15 million copies... but we'll have to see.

sounds good, considering that a lot of "real" gamers despise QTE-games and or Cages writing and are then voicing their distaste/hate, so word of mouth is probably rather bad at the launch of any of their games.

I like 'em, a lot, Detroit certainly the most and even Beyond was fine.

And while multiplatform is nice for everyone, I wonder why Sony did not make them one of theirs, since Heavy Rain was maybe for some an exclusive that highlighted the PS3 library. At least it was important for me back then. But they also did not close the ties with Until Dawn maker. imo weird.

Wish them success with Netease as their overlords.

The relationship with Sony really soured after all the controversy at the studio and probably some development issues within the studio. The relationship was pretty rosy in 2018 and then the hostile work environment stuff also came out in 2018 and that's basically when the relationship ceased.

They had a 3 game deal and it wasn't extended. Sony absolutely would have purchased them under normal circumstances. They were always a big part of PlayStation offerings since the PS3.

Ultimately, being in bed with David Cage probably isn't worth it, though had things went well, who knows what they could have made together, especially if they went into the VR space.

Well deserved, it was a landmark achievement in narrative adventure game design. The sheer variability of outcomes hasn't been matched since. Plus the flow chart with percentages of audience choices was a good evolution of stuff that TTG and Japanese games had been doing.

It's also a great ride of a story, despite David Cage's tendency to dip too far into melodrama and clunky metaphor. He's still great at creating tense moments where you're genuinely agonizing over the choice you're about to make. I feel like his flaws get magnified dude to spillover hatred from the "not real games" crowd, and the fact that Cage himself can come off as pretentious. But I've liked all of their games with the exception of Beyond.

As far as the new Star Wars game, I'm curious to see what it actually is because some early reporting on it made it seem liked QD is switching genres for this new project.

Saber

Gold Member
The game is great, but I think the amount of robot drama and the other stories are unnecessary. It should be 100% about Connor, and in between 50% of it should be about robot drama and the rest solid cases.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The game’s appeal on PC market? Last I checked it crashes constantly and they haven’t patched it.

I played it last year. I didn't have a single crash.
In fact, in technical terms it's one of the best games on PC.
It runs very well, has a shader compilation process at startup, barely any stutters. And it looks great, especially characters.

Mr Hyde

8 million copies is an incredible achievement. Detroit was a great game so it deserves it. A significant improvement over Beyond, which was a let down coming from Heavy Rain. I look forward to QDs next game. I can't wait to see what they are able to do with current gen hardware, especially when it comes to graphics, since that's their biggest strength.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played this during the lockdowns and thought it was excellent, and it looks amazing.

I have Heavy Rain on my PS5 so maybe I’ll tackle that one day.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I think if it wasnt for the bad press on the owner sony could have acquired this studio, too bad.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Very timely.

Game is almost 5 years old. Why do we need to see this? Why does anyone care?

Plus most were sold for $5 at a deep discount 6 months after release.

mckmas8808

Banned
Star Wars is a big opportunity for them, but also a real test to see if their gameplay can be picked up by a mainstream audience.

Obviously, 8 million copies suggest that it can, but I wonder if they can replicate the elements that made their past games successful i.e. heavy marketing and association with PlayStation.

Now they'll be multiplatform and have a big IP attached so they could go on to sell 15 million copies... but we'll have to see.

Without Playstation's help?

LOLOL!!!!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Quantum dream’s games are treated as masterpieces I played all their games and hope they continue on.

Dutchy

Funny, I got recommended a complete walkthrough of the game on YT and decided to watch a couple minutes.

Several hours later and I'm still watching. Their games are really unlike everything else.

I played Nomad Soul when I was 7 and even though I never got far, I thought it was an incredible experience.

Fahrenheit is one of my favorite ps2 games hands down.

Heavy Rain was incredible. Beyond was a slight disappointment. And I love Detroit.

Wish nothing but the best for this studio.

yurinka

Well deserved, it was a great game. Nice to see they sold 5.5M on PS4 and 2.4M on PC, plus whatever money they made from game subs like PS Plus.

I really enjoyed it, as happened with Heavy Rain when it was released. I even enjoyed Beyond even if it's the weakest of the three.

Can't wait to play their Star Wars game, and hopefully a new game with Sony in the somewhat near future.

Last edited:

RaduN

Strange, i thought Beyond Two Souls was easily the best, with Heavy Rain 2nd, Detroid and Indigo kinda tied for last (still enjoyable of course).

Imo, Beyond and HR are the only ones that connect the dots at the end in a somewhat satisfying or at least, interesting way. The others were a little bit of a mess.

Anyway, well deserved sales.

FBeeEye

Banned
I wanted to play this game so bad, but didn't have a PlayStation. We need more games like this with a great story and it doesn't always have to be action-oriented. I loved As Dusk Falls as well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I only ever sold two ps4/5 games after finishing.
Callisto Protocol and This.

I loathe Detroit lol.
They swerved in this weird realistic-pretentious direction. Fucking robot holocaust ?! REALLY ?!
Fahrenheit was fantastic schlock and cringe. They just lost it with Detroit

dcx4610

Excellent, excellent game. I can't decide if I like it better than Heavy Rain or not but it's better than Beyond (which is also excellent).

I thought it would be a simple AI becoming human story but it's much deeper and emotional than that. I love Marcus' interaction with his owner and when he gets questioned about something, it's interesting to see how he processes the question and learns. It feels very realistic. Also, that junkyard scene - incredible. One of the coolest experiences I've ever had in a video game and absolute audio perfection with how it's designed. The scene towards the end with Kara. Powerful stuff.

The only downside to the game is there are wildly different outcomes, dialogue and scenes based on how you play and your answers that you'll never get to see everything unless you play it over and over. There's some crazy stuff I've seen on YouTube that I would have loved to have seen in the game.

Anyway, I don't know why David Cage gets so much hate. All 3 of Quantum Dream's games are amazing and compelling. I know it's not Call of Duty for some people but these are the type of games that keep me a gamer. They are doing something special and unique in a sea of been there, done that.

kiphalfton

This game sounded like it was one of the better Quantic Dream games... but that's not saying much as I played Indigo Propechy, Heavy Rain, and Beyond: Two Souls... and they pretty much went in that order in regards to quality (i.e. from best to worst).

Top Bottom