• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed Input Latency Testing in 2021 - Next Gen Consoles tested - Series X | PS5 | PS4 | X1S

Not sure why people hyping ALLM, seems like uneducated thing to do. Here is detailed whole latency improvemenet stack from MS:

And here is result in Gears 5:

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

ALLM is just part of this and only for people who cannot use their TV Remote.

And yes latency in Gears 5 is greatly noticable, I am beast at Versus MP and I totally sucked before.
Their numbers seem to be in line with what NX gamer measured in COD (look at the median input number vs what MS calls the average)--same ball part for 120 and 60fps mode.
snimekobrazovky2021-0gwkem.png

The part I find interesting marketing wise is that MS has been touting their prowess's at reducing input latency as a benefit for their platform for years, and it seems the PS4 has always been better than the xbone at it (the most I have seen Sony say about is something like "input latency is important to us).... That tells you about the marketing methods of each company.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Their numbers seem to be in line with what NX gamer measured in COD (look at the median input number vs what MS calls the average)--same ball part for 120 and 60fps mode.
snimekobrazovky2021-0gwkem.png

The part I find interesting marketing wise is that MS has been touting their prowess's at reducing input latency as a benefit for their platform for years, and it seems the PS4 has always been better than the xbone at it (the most I have seen Sony say about is something like "input latency is important to us).... That tells you about the marketing methods of each company.
Again look at the difference between XB1S and XSX, the progress is clearly visible, that it was not bullshit. They obviously compare it to their own tech, not to Playstation....

They obviously compare it to their own tech, not to Playstation....

Bingo

Although Microsoft do enjoy hyping up their advancements they never compared the latency to their competitors platform. This is certainly not the same thing as making the "world's most powerful console" claim.

I believe some are getting confused between the two.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hoping they also patch the ps5 version to at least be on par with the x1x version as it looks really bad in some parts...particularly the HDR

Yup, it was my worst HDR game. But now you should calibrate your HDR on PS5 first like here:

This video helped me a lot, you need to make the disappear actually, not barely visible, unless you're playing competitively and want that extra boost for shadows that aren't there or if the TV tends to crush blacks like in some FLAD and OLED's.

YCoCg

Absolutely correct, as this is all they can and my tests support the claims, they have certainly made strides here and it is much better for it.
How were the times for Wired? Is the Series S/X controllers better than the XB1 controllers there?

JackMcGunns

Banned
Microsoft tried to market their really low input latency, while sony didn't even say anything. Exactly as they did with the performance aspect.

I don't trashtalk microsoft at all, it's really great they managed to lower their input latency and kudos to them, but sony is really killing it while not saying anything at all which is something I really appreciate, you know that everything is polished and they don't have to force market that to you, it's just their philosophy.

Maybe MS had a budget for it while Sony didn’t? 🤷🏻‍♂️ MS just seems to be advertising everything, including things like BC with their games and peripherals, Auto-HDR, etc., doesn’t mean Sony is doing better there by being quiet.

On the flip side, Sony has heavily advertised their 3D audio, meanwhile MS did an excellent job with 3D audio in Series X and it’s hardly mentioned, in fact people often think only PS5 supports it.

Last edited:

NXGamer

How were the times for Wired? Is the Series S/X controllers better than the XB1 controllers there?
I tested in the video, pretty much the same only slightly smaller window of variance and not worth any effort as would be invisible and small use case.

Shmunter

Can’t believe people have been putting up with that deficit all gen on xbone. They must be getting wrecked in cod with crossplay.

//DEVIL//

As someone who has Cold War on both systems . I find the input lag is way higher on Xbox than ps5 it’s really noticeable . It’s almost at breaking point for Xbox .

Both systems are good, some games perform better on XSX ad some perform better on PS5. Both camps should be happy that we are getting more 60fps games right from the start than current gen(PS4/XboxOne)

//DEVIL//

They look quite close to me. Like nearly indistinguishable. You must be a robot.
No I notice it clearly When I aim down sight, it’s never 100% on target when sniping specially.
You will have to put the control speed to 3 to get it playable and that is too low. Specially when I have it at 6 on ps5

NXGamer

As someone who has Cold War on both systems . I find the input lag is way higher on Xbox than ps5 it’s really noticeable . It’s almost at breaking point for Xbox .
Just check you have your TV set-up identical on both, sometimes after updates TV can change inputs and turn stuff on that was off.

Shmunter

No I notice it clearly When I aim down sight, it’s never 100% on target when sniping specially.
You will have to put the control speed to 3 to get it playable and that is too low. Specially when I have it at 6 on ps5
Having access to both and able to alternate a/b always highlights discrepancy

From the tests they should be closer. Something wonky going on with your series?

//DEVIL//

Just check you have your TV set-up identical on both, sometimes after updates TV can change inputs and turn stuff on that was off.

that’s what I did first. I have Sony x900F . I was like is game mode on ?
Everything is the same to the point I actually used the same hdmi input at one point

I honestly stopped playing that game on Xbox.
Just frustration specially when I am on Nuketown almost all the games sniping

onesvenus

Everything is the same to the point I actually used the same hdmi input at one point

What's your claim? That you are able to feel a change between 4 and 7 ms or that NX video is wrong?
Because one is impossible and you are the only one reporting the later...

NXGamer

You have some great reactions, it may be that some maps are worse than others.

Input lag on XB1 systems has always being worse in COD games. It's the same for Battlefield games. Input lag is noticeably lower on PS4.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

What's your claim? That you are able to feel a change between 4 and 7 ms or that NX video is wrong?
Because one is impossible and you are the only one reporting the later...
My claim is mainly my own observation. With all respect to all the hard work the YouTuber did, at the end it’s what I feel . Cold War there is a noticeable input lag in that game on Xbox series X. Period . Modern warfare BC doesn’t have this problem. Not really sure if it’s because Cold War is heavier on the system that modern warfare or if Cold War sucks at Xbox in terms of input latency.
It really matters from a player to a player . If you are just casual run and gun guy , you probably won’t notice it and got used to it. But if you are competitive in hardcore nuketown all day sniping. Then yeah there is a difference

On the flip side, Sony has heavily advertised their 3D audio, meanwhile MS did an excellent job with 3D audio in Series X and it’s hardly mentioned, in fact people often think only PS5 supports it.

Well, Sony's 3D HRTF solution can support few thousands sources, MSs solution few hundreds. Of course MS wouldn't braging about it

My claim is mainly my own observation. With all respect to all the hard work the YouTuber did, at the end it’s what I feel . Cold War there is a noticeable input lag in that game on Xbox series X. Period . Modern warfare BC doesn’t have this problem. Not really sure if it’s because Cold War is heavier on the system that modern warfare or if Cold War sucks at Xbox in terms of input latency.
It really matters from a player to a player . If you are just casual run and gun guy , you probably won’t notice it and got used to it. But if you are competitive in hardcore nuketown all day sniping. Then yeah there is a difference
I believe you. But with the measured difference it really can't feel night and day unless yours is behaving oddly.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Well, its not the totally the same, but if you have turned off all the dynamic shite, motion interpolation or just anything that adds input lag then the other modes will still have their input lag much reduced from the stock settings, so maybe thats why.
I just did some testing, and it seems it's a difference between 60hz and 120hz.
My xsx is set to 120hz, and I believe that's a system wide setting.
My PC was set to 60hz, and anything other than game mode introduced very visible input lag.
After switching the PC to 120hz, input lag in picture mode is highly reduced; game mode is still better, but picture mode is actually playable now.

Wonder if Xbone’s virtualization layer gives it this slightly higher latency. That layer of abstraction never sounded like a good choice for a game console (regardless of bc benefits).

Did you actually watch it, appears not. Did you get to the second post...?

Ubisoft game yes, Call of duty and dirt 5 no ps5 is better.
While "XSX with better latency in most games" is not the takeaway to have after watching the video, his conclusion isn't completely baseless. Unless I missed something, Xbox won 3 games in the tests: Valhalla, Watch Dogs, and Red Dead; whereas PS5 won Dirt and CoD; and all other BC games besides Red Dead were tied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom