• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction AllStars Looks Great

Yeah, not to be a Debbie Downer as some would put it, but I put this at the bottom of the show, below Bugsnax obviously.
Bugsnax is GOTY. Actually game of the century. Ignored, blocked, and reported.

But I agree with you. Maybe in reverse order though, neither didn't catch my interest. That furry game on the other hand... Lol

JimiNutz

Banned
I agree with the majority re the art style. It looks too much like Fortnite and is off putting to me.

That being said I love the idea of a multiplayer focused car combat game and the brief glimpses of gameplay did look like the game could be incredibly fun!

The development team are also made up of people that worked on some of my favourite racing game series previously - PGR, Motorstorm and Wipeout! That gives me a lot of hope that they will nail the gameplay.

I'm cautiously optimistic and really want to see more. As this is a new IP they should show off some extended gameplay soon so that people have a better idea how it plays - hopefully it's far along in development and coming out soon as I think this could make a cool launch game.

Finally, I do wish this was just a new Twisted Metal game but as a 90s kid in his mid 30s I appreciate that the metal style aesthetic and soundtrack probably wouldn't appeal to the kids of today and would likely be extremely off putting to them. It's a shame but they do need to be able to market this game to that generation of younger gamers as well if it's to be successful.

While this news might excite others, it actually makes me more worried about this game.

Twisted Metal's director David Jaffe explains below that he thinks the secret to a great fast-paced car combat game is to NOT focus too much on the "car" aspect:

So it doesn't really inspire confidence to hear that this car combat game is being made by racing game developers...especially with its trailer only running at 30fps :/

nkarafo

Ah, the usual cast of boring, weird dressed, overdecorated, oversaturated, randomly generated looking, "diverse" characters any game in current year must have.

Dr_Salt

While this news might excite others, it actually makes me more worried about this game.

Twisted Metal's director David Jaffe explains below that he thinks the secret to a great fast-paced car combat game is to NOT focus too much on the "car" aspect:

So it doesn't really inspire confidence to hear that this car combat game is being made by racing game developers...especially with its trailer only running at 30fps :/

That retrospective its awesome. Part 2 where they talk about why Twisted Metal Black is such a great game is very well made. Op should watch that if he thinks Twisted Metal can´t be brought back. They just need to copy what the did with black.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Looks like Bleeding Edge with cars. Will probably end up just as dead, too.
Oh god totally forgot about Bleeding Edge already. Yeah that's something that came and went didn't it? Let's hope this meets a more kind fate.

I'm surprised GAF is somewhat negative/lukewarm on this as it basically looks like a modernization of Twisted Metal with some Rocket League stylings sprinkled on top. Could very well be loads of fun, especially on launch to try out on our shiny new consoles.

xrnzaaas

The aesthetic of this game drives me away. Sony should make a remake of Destruction Derby or Twisted Metal.

pasterpl

This game looks like a lot of fun, I am just worried that it will be too chaotic to actually enjoy playing it

mejin

It's like a MS kind of game, but with higher development and marketing budgets worthy of Sony. Maybe it'll work.

I was hyped for a new Destruction Derby, then I saw all the gimmicks and hamming it up that has me currently wary of how this game will turn out. What was wrong with the "real" old school version of just pure derby, the music would kick in to that circular arena of metal carnage and you just plowed into reverse against all those incoming AI vehicles. I found myself just wanting that version of the game but online, not this jacked up trailer of weirdness. It's like the reality shows of today, the whole thing is turned into characters and editor narratives and loses sight of the actual content e.g. in this case that classic arena of death to the end of one car standing victorious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom