• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction AllStars Looks Great

Yoboman

Of all the games that came out of the PS5 reveal I think this one deserves more discussion. Its clearly a more GAAS style game which is a different style of game in the vein of Rocket League for Sony to publish.

This looks like a cool mix of arena based racing with elements of destruction and being able to leave your car. If done right it could be a lot of fun

The developer has people with credentials. Its made by developers behind the Project Gotham and Wipeout franchises

Surprisingly nobody has really come for Rocket Leagues crown despite it selling over 40 million (2 and a half years ago, can't find more recent numbers) so it would be great if this could make a mark.

Visually it is really sharp and eye catching. Even if the art style is clearly catering towards the young Fortnite demographics

Only thing I didnt like is the name. Reminds me of Playstation AllStars, which is not the best association to start but also kind of makes you want this game but with Playstation mascot characters. A Sweet Tooth cameo makes sense

Jubenhimer

It's kind of nice to see Sony trying a big budget multiplayer game again. The PS4 was pretty weak in that regard, with most of its first party multiplayer titles being rather niche or lame downloadable games. So I'm hoping to see more titles of a larger scope in this genre. On that note, why not bring back Twisted Metal again? That used to be one of PlayStation's biggest multiplayer IPs.

Yoboman

It's kind of nice to see Sony trying a big budget multiplayer game again. The PS4 was pretty weak in that regard, with most of its first party multiplayer titles being rather niche or lame downloadable games. So I'm hoping to see more titles of a larger scope in this genre. On that note, why not bring back Twisted Metal again? That used to be one of PlayStation's biggest multiplayer IPs.
I thought that too but it was a bit of a flop last time they tried to revive it.

Twisted Metals problem is it will always be intrinsically tied to a 90s edge lord aesthetic. And THE KIDS aren't into that

Dope! I thought I was alone in this, but I genuinely love what I am seeing with Destruction All-Stars. I am cautiously optimistic, but I can't shake the feeling it's going to end up being a "freemium" game stuffed to the gills with microtransactions, but I am crossing my fingers.

Dr_Salt

I thought that too but it was a bit of a flop last time they tried to revive it.

Twisted Metals problem is it will always be intrinsically tied to a 90s edge lord aesthetic. And THE KIDS aren't into that

Twisted metal black is arguably one of the best ps2 games ever so I have no idea what you are talking about. The worldbuilding and soundtrack in that game are amazing.

Yoboman

Dope! I thought I was alone in this, but I genuinely love what I am seeing with Destruction All-Stars. I am cautiously optimistic, but I can't shake the feeling it's going to end up being a "freemium" game stuffed to the gills with microtransactions, but I am crossing my fingers.
It 100% will. If not at launch then eventually

Thats the nature of the beast these days

VN1X

Banned
Yeah cautiously optimistic for this one. Hoping this allong with Godfall are both free at launch (which would also be the best time for these games to release).

It 100% will. If not at launch then eventually

Thats the nature of the beast these days

If it's free-to-play then I don't mind throwing some money at it over time, but these studios have to come to terms with the economic climate we live in and understand that not everyone can afford every piece of content locked behind a paywall. If I have to grind out several hours to earn content then I'm fine with it so long as it's reasonably obtainable. We're talking not have to grind out hundred of hours to get a skin, car, etc. It's a tricky business trying to find that balance, but it's doable and still capable of financially supporting that studio.

Yoboman

Twisted metal black is arguably one of the best ps2 games ever so I have no idea what you are talking about. The worldbuilding and soundtrack in that game are amazing.
A game can be good and still not appeal to modern audiences

Dr_Salt

A game can be good and still not appeal to modern audiences

If they made a game that topped amazon sales charts where the game director has sexy time with a tranny then idk how they can´t make a modern Twisted Metal appealing to the general public.

Yoboman

If they made a game that topped amazon sales charts where the game director has sexy time with a tranny then idk how they can´t make a modern Twisted Metal appealing to the general public.
What in the fuck are you talking sbout

wipeout364

Art direction is a complete turnoff to me, character and vehicle design looks terrible. Can’t speak to the gameplay just looks like rocket league type game so could be good.

Bleeding edge had the same problem but at least those designs had obvious effort put into them, a misguided effort maybe but you couldn’t deny that somebody would think it was cool. This just looks like a game designed by someone Who was trying to think what the kids would think is cool which always generates the worst designs.

sublimit

Banned
Art direction is a complete turnoff to me, character and vehicle design looks terrible. Can’t speak to the gameplay just looks like rocket league type game so could be good.

Bleeding edge had the same problem but at least those designs had obvious effort put into them, a misguided effort maybe but you couldn’t deny that somebody would think it was cool. This just looks like a game designed by someone Who was trying to think what the kids would think is cool which always generates the worst designs.
They both look equally tacky to me.

Vawn

Banned
I thought I was watching an Xbox conference when this came up. It didn't feel PlayStation to me at all - in gameplay or art style.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Wait, is this actually Sony exclusive? Dayum... :(

Good on them, this is the kind of game I wanted to play on PC with my friends online. Seems like a blast for parties too.

Bryank75

Banned
Reminded me of Rocket League and since the company that made that were bought, I am glad we can have something that is a mix of Twisted Metal, RL and Fortnite.

Grinchy

Banned
The concept seems really fun but it's very hard to tell so far. As we get closer to launch and get actual gameplay videos, I'll have a more clear idea of what the game really is like. Getting 1-3 second snippets of the game mixed in with other video just doesn't have me completely sold.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't like the aesthetic, nor do I like the GAAS leanings. It just looks too much like they're trying to recapture Rocket League, without the parts people like.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, OP. You are wrong.

It doesn't look good because they only showed us a tone trailer with extremely vague hints at what gameplay will look like.

Maybe it'll be good. Maybe it'll be bad.

We just. Don't. Know.

D.Final

Banned

Of all the games that came out of the PS5 reveal I think this one deserves more discussion. Its clearly a more GAAS style game which is a different style of game in the vein of Rocket League for Sony to publish.

This looks like a cool mix of arena based racing with elements of destruction and being able to leave your car. If done right it could be a lot of fun

The developer has people with credentials. Its made by developers behind the Project Gotham and Wipeout franchises

Surprisingly nobody has really come for Rocket Leagues crown despite it selling over 40 million (2 and a half years ago, can't find more recent numbers) so it would be great if this could make a mark.

Visually it is really sharp and eye catching. Even if the art style is clearly catering towards the young Fortnite demographics

Only thing I didnt like is the name. Reminds me of Playstation AllStars, which is not the best association to start but also kind of makes you want this game but with Playstation mascot characters. A Sweet Tooth cameo makes sense

Yeah
It seems a really fun game to play.
Like Rocket League

yurinka

I think that in terms of aesthetics MOBA and Rocket League are awful, and I think it's a huge mistake for games like this one to keep copying them.

The main MOBA and Rocket League weren't successful because of their aesthetics.

Kikorin

I think it looks great from a gameplay prospective, I just hate the art-style.

But if the game turn-out to be fun, I'll try for sure. And I really hope it will be good, I miss old arcade racing games and this reminded me of Crashday.

Grinchy

Banned
Rocket League is one of my favorite games ever. This looks nothing like Rocket League.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: yeah this has absolutely nothing to do with rocket league other than sharing the similarity that there are cars on the screen

This does seem like it could be fun, though.

Wipeout-2097-Platinum-PAL-PSX-FRONT.jpg

giphy.gif

quest

Not Banned from OT
Not even remotely the same developer though?
Not like from is doing the souls remake. This would just be a remaster. Update the graphics, ui and add some online play. I just get excited thinking about it. I could easily see me playing it with my old gaming friends.

Top Bottom