• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction AllStars Delayed to Feb; Now Launching on PS+

Inviusx

New question, does Sony now have a warehouse full of the boxed copy of this game? Or was this decision made internally months ago and it never made it to the manufacturer?

This is the kind of stuff that collectors love.

iHaunter

Sure rocketed in popularity but doesn't necessarily equal profit. Average user was going to pay $70/£70 for entry fee minimum. I wonder how many people pay in Rocket League (1 in 20?) and I bet that amount will be nowhere near $70.
I'm sure the goal is to have cosmetic skins on cars.

Chukhopops

Game is supposed to be on store shelves in two weeks, yet it turns out they never pressed discs or shipped them to stores so the retailers could get ready for launch.

They knew this delay would happen months ago, yet told gamers now.
This is what I find interesting in this - it’s not like they made the call this morning, Sony knew about this a while ago.

Still, it’s probably the right choice. It’s difficult enough to make a multiplayer game live even when it’s free to play, so launching it with full price tag on a single platform would have been straight suicide.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So it's gone from a $70 launch title to a "free" game launching well after launch lol. I'd say they took the publics reception to the game to heart and realized that it would bomb because it looks bad. Good decision, might be able to salvage something from it now.

They must have known they were doing this a while ago though, just didn't want the bad PR. All launch games would have had to have already gone gold and sent to the manufacturers.

Last edited:
This game should have been made free-to-play with MTX monetization. Somehow the clown Hermen realized it this late.... the likelihood of it getting a PC port to recoup the money spent on that singleplayer increases exponentially.

Great either way for PS5 and PS+ owners. Another blunder from the clown.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Given what PS + did for

Fortnite
Rocketleague
Fall Guys

And an entire host of games of this calibre, I think this move has potential.
PS+ did nothing for fortnite lol. Fortnite has always been free right across the board lol.

The game has to be good for it to be a smash hit like those games. Delaying it 3 weeks before release and showing virtually zero gameplay doesn’t instill confidence. People in here thinking it could be the next rocket league just cause it's "free" are delusional. Every MP game on game pass isn't an instant smash hit just because it's "free".

Last edited:

wipeout364

Looked terrible right from the word go. Bleeding edge level of bad looking characters (actually worse IMO). They are trying to save what would have been the first PS5 failure and its a smart choice, game actually has a small chance to build an audience now and monetize skins battle passes etc.

Shaukdotdj

Same, lol.

I still have yet to try Fall Guys and I think that hype has sailed.
Probably sailed for anyone who actually buys new games. The free to play crowd and the ps+ crowds are probably the biggest overlap of gaming demographic when it comes to the ps online games and there's never a shortage of players in the lobbies, they make their funds on the dlc/mtx after release and probably get a kickback of a percentage of the membership fees per download.

Last edited:

Shaukdotdj

I was mainly just making a point that games always need to produce more maps over time to keep people engaged. I should have worded that differently.
Oh yeah that's definately fair for smaller scale games. Like I can see battle royales using the same map. For months on end but even fall guys caused map fatigue for a lot of people in as little as a month.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Game looks stunning.
Characters look really cool well animated
Feels like a premium product.

the car combat feels pretty slick. Love the nudge right stick to ram.

then you have the FUCKING ESPORT CANCER SHIT STICKERS DANCES OUTFIT COLLECTING CANCEROUS SHEIT FUCK THIS

FORCE FUCKING WALK OUT OF CAR BULLSHIT FORTNITE SHEIT.
IT IS NOT FUN

NOT FUN NOT FUN IT FUCKING SUCKS FUCK OFF WITH THAT SHIT

GAME IS A CAR COMBAT GAME NOT FORTNITE!!

Dude this hurts man great art style absolute boring to play. The modes suck

And nothing really to keep playing. F2P ESPORT SHEIT hard pass

uninstalled

Papacheeks

Banned
Game looks stunning.

then you have the FUCKING ESPORT CANCER SHIT STICKERS DANCES OUTFIT COLLECTING CANCEROUS SHEIT FUCK THIS

IT IS NOT FUN

uninstalled

How did you play it early?

Pedro Motta

Played it for a bit now, really cool, weird at first, but when you learn to play it's really good. Can't to play tomorrow with my mates.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Game looks stunning.

IT IS NOT FUN

uninstalled
are...are you ok my dude?

Let’s wait for the professional reviews before passing any stern judgements, shall we? Could be another sleeper hit like Rocket League.

Prison Mike

Banned
Game looks stunning.

IT IS NOT FUN

uninstalled
crazy GIF

Yamisan

Played about an hour, match making only seems to be working for free for all solos, probably due to the lack of players at 7am est. Got 1st place in my 1st match woo. The game is better than I thought it would be. Gonna keep on playing for a game when drunk or just for a short gaming session. Menus remind me of Fortnite =\

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Let’s wait for the professional reviews before passing any stern judgements, shall we? Could be another sleeper hit like Rocket League.

Gaming media has been completely caught off guard with last generations biggest hits. A lot of 7's and 8s going to GotG type candidates.

SkylineRKR

Its not bad, but as the majority claims its not worth 70 bucks. Not even half of it.

The game is fairly populated, I get into matches instantly. I tried both the first mode and Carnado. The problem is, the game is lacking. The on foot is not interesting at all and I never feel like i'm in danger. You can easily avoid cars, jump on them and try to wreck them (I had some dudes probably not wiggling LS, I could wreck them easily). This seems to be more efficient than actual car combat, as long as their reaction is late. The car combat is so so. Driving around is fun and snappy, and hits feel okay. But the destructions could be more bad ass, they lack oomph. Also, players can simply jump out if the car is at low health.

I would much rather have a Twisted Metal game. Or a Motorstorm. Not Onrush, I thought that game was shallow as fuck (I have it on PS4 still). Though Destruction kinda gives me the same feels, its also really shallow.

Top Bottom