• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destroy All Humans Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Backwards Compatibility)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Destroy All Humans Remake frame rate comparison comparing the framerate/fps on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S running under backwards compatibility.

The versions tested were 1.08 on PS5 and 1.0.0.9 on Xbox Series X|S. All three consoles are running this under backwards compatibility.

Patch 1.08 adds an FPS Limit option to the game which allows the frame rate cap to be set to 60fps.

PS5 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts during gameplay seem to often be in the range of 2688x1512 and approximately 2240x1260 on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below that resolution.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being 1344x756. Native resolution pixel counts during gameplay seem to often be in the range of 1920x1080 and approximately 1472x828 on Xbox Series S. Xbox Series S uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 1920x1080 when rendering natively below that resolution.

The resolution seems to drop lower during cutscenes than during gameplay on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S have improved texture filtering compared to PS5

Another One Drake GIF by DJ Khaled

Why didn't this game launch with Pro enhancements? Seems odd for that, so late in the gen, no?

here is the framerate data, both PS5 and XsX hold locked 60

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames300163001530007
Video Frames300163001630016
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height108021601080
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate60fps60fps59.98fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate60fps59fps56fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps59fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30016 (100%)30014 (100%)29998 (99.97%)
33.33ms0 (0%)1 (0%)9 (0.03%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Mortal Shell Enhanced dropped on both Series and PS5 a few days ago, and Yakuza: Like A Dragon finally dropped on PS5 last week, so I assume we will get both those breakdowns this week.

The war wages on.

Congrats, i guess. Knee deep in actual games to care, but for those interested have fun.

And if you've never been in a country of sand where everyone looks similar with some friendly some wanting to cut your head off, calling this a War is insulting.

Last edited:
Congrats, i guess. Knee deep in actual games to care, but for those interested have fun.
Weird flex. Probably play my PS5 at least a few hours every single day.

You commented on slow content, I just offered speculation on what is coming next.

And if you've never been in a country of sand where everyone looks similar with some friendly some wanting to cut your head off, calling this a War is insulting.

Kermit GIF

Are you ok? Sir, this is a gaming forum.

Krisprolls

Banned
How desperate must Xbox fans be to make a thread for every single older game running in backwards compatibility mode... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We get it, Series X runs Pacman and Tetris better (feel free to make a thread on those too), or mostly any other old game nobody cares about because you buy a new console to play new games, next gen games, not replay older games endlessly.

The problem for Series X is PS5 does everything else better, from having great exclusives and actual next gen features like haptics to simply running newer games better... Which is what matters.

Last edited:
We get it, Series X runs Pacman and Tetris better (feel free to make a thread on those too), or mostly any other old game nobody cares about because you buy a new console to play new games, next gen games, not replaying older games endlessly.

On one hand, this head to head comparison is silly since the game has no Pro mode on PS4 to start with, so I agree this is kinda pointless.

On the other hand, to your broader point: I've Plat'd like 9 PS4 games on my PS5 since launch. People love pretending like Backwards Compatibility doesn't matter, but it does.

Hell, most of the "new games" releasing right now are just last-gen games repackaged with a next-gen patch anyway.

As for the thread itself, someone would have posted it if the OP hadn't. These vids always get threads. I haven't posted the last few that dropped because they didn't interest me (games I don't plan on playing). I saw this in my YT feed this morning but am never gonna play this game, and it's just BC mode anyway, so figured it wasn't worth it. But these threads will get posted, and not because the OP is a fanboy of either side. The damn Outriders DEMO thread has 500 replies already

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
On one hand, this head to head comparison is silly since the game has no Pro mode on PS4 to start with, so I agree this is kinda pointless.

On the other hand, to your broader point: I've Plat'd like 9 PS4 games on my PS5 since launch. People love pretending like Backwards Compatibility doesn't matter, but it does.

Hell, most of the "new games" releasing right now are just last-gen games repackaged with a next-gen patch anyway.

Sure, a good BC mode is a nice plus (both consoles do BC pretty well by the way), especially at the start of the gen, when new games are few and far between, but making dozens of performance comparison threads about every older small or indie game running on BC mode, just because the BC mode is made a bit better on your plastic toy of choice, is another matter entirely. It's a bit pathetic. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In the old days of GAF, those repeated idiotic threads would have meant an instant ban for the OP or at least were closed instantly. I'm not sure that was a bad thing.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

How desperate must Xbox fans be to make a thread for every single older game running in backwards compatibility mode... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We get it, Series X runs Pacman and Tetris better (feel free to make a thread on those too), or mostly any other old game nobody cares about because you buy a new console to play new games, next gen games, not replaying older games endlessly. That's the way BC mode works.

The problem for Series X is PS5 does everything else better, from having great exclusives and actual next gen features like haptics to simply running newer games better... Which is what matters.
Terrified.

On another note, I actually never played this game 🤔

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Terrified

Terrified by the stupidity of those threads, yes. The only people in the world actually terrified of Xbox are probably Microsoft management and shareholders. :messenger_beaming:

But I actually like the tag, it's true I enjoy making fun of Xbox fans (only when they say dumb things though). Nothing personal, I enjoy making fun of stupidity in general. :messenger_winking:

And nobody in their right mind could believe someone is terrified of a brand, so it's clear it's a joke. If anything, only thing fanboys of both sides could exhibit is FOMO (fear of missing out), not terror, and sometimes they clearly do, especially Xbox fans (which makes sense considering the situation they have been for years). But I have a good PC and I was a Game Pass subscriber and could be again if needed, so this doesn't even fit me either.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Weird flex. Probably play my PS5 at least a few hours every single day.

You commented on slow content, I just offered speculation on what is coming next.

Kermit GIF

Are you ok? Sir, this is a gaming forum.

Lets call it what it is, a little slap and tickle amongst those ....unfortunante.

Terrified by the stupidity of those threads, yes. The only people in the world actually terrified of Xbox are probably Microsoft management and shareholders. :messenger_beaming:

But I actually like the tag, it's true I enjoy making fun of Xbox fans (only when they say dumb things though). Nothing personal, I enjoy making fun of stupidity in general. :messenger_winking:

And nobody in their right mind could believe someone is terrified of a brand, so it's clear it's a joke. If anything, only thing fanboys of both sides could exhibit is FOMO (fear of missing out), not terror, and sometimes they clearly do, especially Xbox fans (which makes sense considering the situation they have been for years). But I have a good PC and I was a Game Pass subscriber and could be again if needed, so this doesn't even fit me either.
Mr. Triggered is triggered af :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chessmate

Banned
Considering Sonys reconfiguration of temporary CLM in the block shading unit this doesn't come as a surprise in a bandwidth-heavy BC game. As RGT pointed out in his latest analysis on super resolution, this might have an impact on how the PS5 renders the resolution of SDK-based last-gen titles. At least temporarily. Of course, next-gen-titles will profit enormously of the new block shader unit in the DLMM pipeline. So I fully expect the framerate-gap in upcoming titles like Resident Evil 8 to widen in favor of PS5, since the adjustment will allow devs to write to the metal like Judas Priest.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
And Series S/X wins that one as well as it's all about the fps. 60fps on both S/X.
It is about the frames isn't it. Oh pardon me, no its resolution now PS has a advantage. ;-)

He used a terrible example there since even Series S plays that game at twice the framerate as PS5🤣
At the end of the day 99% of players won't care why it's better on Xbox, the fact is this is another game that just is, Microsoft just did a far better job.

Stuart360

We get it, Series X runs Pacman and Tetris better (feel free to make a thread on those too), or mostly any other old game nobody cares about because you buy a new console to play new games, next gen games, not replaying older games endlessly. That's the way BC mode works.

giphy.gif

Thought you would be happy. According to VGTech PS5 renders one extra frame than XSX (30016 to 30015). So another win for PS5 amirite?.

Edit. Dat custom tag tho.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Zathalus

Why didn't this game launch with Pro enhancements? Seems odd for that, so late in the gen, no?

here is the framerate data, both PS5 and XsX hold locked 60

PlatformsPS5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Frame Amounts
Game Frames300163001530007
Video Frames300163001630016
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames000
Lowest Torn Line---
Frame Height108021601080
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate60fps60fps59.98fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate60fps59fps56fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps60fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps59fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30016 (100%)30014 (100%)29998 (99.97%)
33.33ms0 (0%)1 (0%)9 (0.03%)
Other
Dropped Frames000
Runt Frames000
Runt Frame Thresholds20 rows20 rows20 rows
The Xbox Series X dropped one frame there. Absolutely unplayable.

Concern

giphy.gif

Thought you would be happy. According to VGTech PS5 renders one extra frame than XSX (30016 to 30015). So another win for PS5 amirite?.

I don't even bother with that account. Its alt and most likely a throwaway account. He's been seen replying to himself in a faceoff thread lol.

OT: I heard this remake wasn't very well made. Anyone try it?

Ok so I'm guessing this IS one of those BC games that dont count right?

Ps5 competing with the Series S for like the second or third time but we get all this trolling about the S "holding back" this gen. Ironic
It doesn't count (for a hardware comparison) because this BC game is again locked at 60fps on PS5 so we can't do a fair CPU/GPU comparison against XSX, the way for instance we did with Skyrim (both BC games, same settings, higher fps on PS5).

By the way the XSX game, while running at around 1440p on average is not perfectly locked at 60fps and its res can actually drop to 1080p, same as PS5.

Last edited:
Ps5 competing with the Series S for like the second or third time but we get all this trolling about the S "holding back" this gen. Ironic

So now we are saying the PS5 is on par with the Series S?

That's kind of a silly thing to say in my opinion when the PS5 performed vastly better than the Series S in a wide variety of games.

When it comes to this game it looks like they just increased the cap for the PS4 Pro version of the game. The PS5 is running it at a locked 60 so it can definitely run it at higher settings.

By the way the XSX game, while running at around 1440p on average is not locked at 60fps and its res can actually drop to 1080p, same as PS5.

Not trying to make either console look bad but it appears that native versions do make a big difference in games. If they made a native version of this title on both the results would be much better.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts during gameplay seem to often be in the range of 2688x1512 and approximately 2240x1260 on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below that resolution.

The resolution seems to drop lower during cutscenes than during gameplay on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.

From VGtech previous video: the only resolution found on ps4 and PS4 pro version it's 1920x1080p
Angry Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

Last edited:

Chessmate

Banned
Can't wait to see how Thelastword spins this one, they will be in pretzel shape to make this one a win.

Well, what no one here seems to realize: PS5 holds its target resolution to a rock solid 1080p. Not a single drop whatsoever. Wonder why Series X' resolution is all over the place, really seems to struggle to pull of this ugly old game consistently.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Well, what no one here seems to realize: PS5 holds its target resolution to a rock solid 1080p. Not a single drop whatsoever. Wonder why Series X' resolution is all over the place, really seems to struggle to pull of this ugly old game consistently.

PS5 has exactly the same problem on the Division 2, only it stays around the 1080p mark almost all the time, wonder why.

assurdum

Banned
Really hard to explain. Guess we'll have to wait for a proper analysis from some Gaf expert like Bo Hazem. Maybe he'll be back soon, he probably took a little nap after this video was uploaded. 🤔
What it's hard to explain? This patch did nothing, just unlock the FPS. Or do you think it's normal for series X to drop at 1260p to hold 60 fps in this game?

Top Bottom