• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 3 Not Coming Until at Least 2024

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie has no plans for Destiny 3, perhaps going out as far as 2026.

The response reportedly comes from Japanese outlet 4gamer in an interview with Bungie design director Jacob Benton. Benton started by reiterating that Bungie's focus was on Destiny 2 and that all of its current plans remained with that focus. Succinctly, Benton stated that there were no plans to leave Destiny 2 behind. He goes on to note that Bungie continues to work on new stories and expansions for Destiny 2, including The Witch Queen and Lightfall.

What Benton does explain is a tentative roadmap of Bungie's current plans for Destiny 2. He mentions that The Witch Queen is currently being planned for release in 2022. From there, he refers to Lightfall as the next chapter of the game, which is said to be the name of Destiny 2's expansion following The Witch Queen. Benton doesn't stop there, however. He says Destiny 2 will likely need another chapter even beyond Lightfall. And he makes clear that Bungie wants Destiny 2 to continue being the platform for that story.

If The Witch Queen launches in 2022 and each subsequent major expansion takes a year or longer to launch, that's 2024 just in currently planned Destiny 2 content launching optimally. But 2025 won't be a great option either, because Bungie's tentatively set out that year as when its new IP could launch. Of course, the new IP is being made by a different Bungie team than the Destiny 2 crew, but that doesn't mean Bungie would want to launch something as big as Destiny 3 the same year it's trying to launch a new IP.

So while Benton doesn't explicitly state Destiny 3 won't be until at least 2026, or even that it will ever be released at all, it's somewhat intuitive to see what Bungie's plans are. It has a story in mind for Destiny 2, including a conclusion. That conclusion is at least as far out as 2024. After that, Bungie has another game that could be launched. It's at that point that Bungie could start working on Destiny 3, if it chose to.

Kuranghi

puppy stampede GIF by SB Nation
stampede alpaca GIF by VICE Media Spain

Whoa whoa slow down guys! Everyone can comment on this exciting news if you just take your turns!

edit - fuck sake, replying bumped it and ruined my own joke:

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

sainraja

The response reportedly comes from Japanese outlet 4gamer in an interview with Bungie design director Jacob Benton. Benton started by reiterating that Bungie's focus was on Destiny 2 and that all of its current plans remained with that focus. Succinctly, Benton stated that there were no plans to leave Destiny 2 behind. He goes on to note that Bungie continues to work on new stories and expansions for Destiny 2, including The Witch Queen and Lightfall.

What Benton does explain is a tentative roadmap of Bungie's current plans for Destiny 2. He mentions that The Witch Queen is currently being planned for release in 2022. From there, he refers to Lightfall as the next chapter of the game, which is said to be the name of Destiny 2's expansion following The Witch Queen. Benton doesn't stop there, however. He says Destiny 2 will likely need another chapter even beyond Lightfall. And he makes clear that Bungie wants Destiny 2 to continue being the platform for that story.

If The Witch Queen launches in 2022 and each subsequent major expansion takes a year or longer to launch, that's 2024 just in currently planned Destiny 2 content launching optimally. But 2025 won't be a great option either, because Bungie's tentatively set out that year as when its new IP could launch. Of course, the new IP is being made by a different Bungie team than the Destiny 2 crew, but that doesn't mean Bungie would want to launch something as big as Destiny 3 the same year it's trying to launch a new IP.

So while Benton doesn't explicitly state Destiny 3 won't be until at least 2026, or even that it will ever be released at all, it's somewhat intuitive to see what Bungie's plans are. It has a story in mind for Destiny 2, including a conclusion. That conclusion is at least as far out as 2024. After that, Bungie has another game that could be launched. It's at that point that Bungie could start working on Destiny 3, if it chose to.
My understanding is that Destiny 2 is going to be the main Destiny game for this generation and if they continue the series, then into the next generation; it will continue being the main new Destiny game and won't ever be called Destiny 3 (unless the technology in the next gen consoles requires a big upgrade where they need to make huge changes or maybe it is a new way of playing games but I doubt that.) It's not that we're not getting Destiny 3. We are, we're just not getting it in the form of an entirely new game, where we start over. I am personally okay with that.

Bungie has changed directions a few times and they do take fan feedback (they've gotten rid of sunsetting and introducing some vendor level changes next season) so nothing is set in stone. We'll just have to see how the gaming landscape changes. If Destiny is still a thing, then we'll most likely just have an updated version of D2. I know some people weren't happy about not having access to planets that were sunset but so I can see Bungie packaging up previous campaigns as a standalone thing but who knows.

I think they should just get rid of the '2' and simply call it Destiny. The old one can be labelled Destiny Classic or something.

Trogdor1123

Yeah... I'll wait for them to fix Destiny 2 before the get a dime from me. It's Shane cause there is so much potential in the game

LordCBH

I think bungie would be better off just dropping the number from D2 and work on piecemeal getting the best content from D1 integrated in alongside new content. D2 is my addiction and I’d honestly rather it continue than have another one release and make us all start over. I will if I must, but I’d rather not.

TheMan

With the frequent update and addons, the only reason to make D3 would be to make a new engine for the next gen machines.

sainraja

I think bungie would be better off just dropping the number from D2 and work on piecemeal getting the best content from D1 integrated in alongside new content. D2 is my addiction and I’d honestly rather it continue than have another one release and make us all start over. I will if I must, but I’d rather not.
They have already gone in that direction which is why I think they should drop the '2' in the name as well.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Desitny should be a game that keep receiving updates like Warframe.

Destiny 1.x
Destiny 2.x
Destiny 3.x

With all the Raids, Strikes, Planets, Missions, etc.

A new game every time breaks the imersion... if Destiny 2.x was a update to Destiny 1.x I should be putting over 1000 hours per year with the game but they choose to release Destiny 2.x as a new game and so I just put about 100 hours overall and see playing less and less ever after a wonderful GAFer gift me the last expansion.

Bungie decision just break the community.

Last edited:

nerdface

Banned
I hope they don’t throw away D1. I enjoyed that game quite a bit, but never played the expansions.

They should do a physical Switch Destiny1 release that includes all the content. Ad-hoc, online, or offline play.

I think it would do quite well, and would fit the ‘sometimes online’ model of the switch nicely.

I know I’d buy at least two copies.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I would love to get back into destiny, but i dont have a group of friends who i play games with so raids and other multiplayer only activities without match making are off limits to me

sainraja

Desitny should be a game that keep receiving updates like Warframe.

Destiny 1.x
Destiny 2.x
Destiny 3.x

With all the Raids, Strikes, Planets, Missions, etc.

A new game every time breaks the imersion... if Destiny 2.x was a update to Destiny 1.x I should be putting over 1000 hours per year with the game but they choose to release Destiny 2.x as a new game and so I just put about 100 hours overall and see playing less and less ever after a wonderful GAFer gift me the last expansion.

Bungie decision just break the community.
That's what Bungie has said they are doing.

sainraja

I would love to get back into destiny, but i dont have a group of friends who i play games with so raids and other multiplayer only activities without match making are off limits to me
You can use the Destiny companion app to match with others doing a raid but those are end game activities, the ones that don't have matchmaking. Everything else has matchmaking. Now is a good time to get back into the game! I am telling you, I stepped away for a while and when I returned, it felt much better and not because they had changed it (I returned just before they changed everything). The game is a lot easier to get into now with a more seasonal focus (not that it did not have seasons before.)
Don't care. Destiny 2 has been many steps in the wrong direction from what I wanted from the game.
I would give it another try specially since its F2P now.

Last edited:

Tranquil

Just played Destiny 2, maybe I'm missing something but there was no main campaign to play, only DLC. It all felt very samey samey, defeat a bunch of weak enemies then at the end of the mission there is a boss; rinse and repeat for every mission.

jaysius

Banned
Destiny 3 needs to be completely different, a completely better game, than 1 and 2, I fell for it also, I bought 2 hoping that it was different from 1 and it was slightly better, but they won't trick me again...again. 3 needs to be an actual good game.

I really don't know what happened to Bungie to go from Halo games to THIS.

sainraja

Just played Destiny 2, maybe I'm missing something but there was no main campaign to play, only DLC. It all felt very samey samey, defeat a bunch of weak enemies then at the end of the mission there is a boss; rinse and repeat for every mission.
Beyond Light is the latest new campaign and you can still play Shadowkeep and Forsaken. You can no longer play some of the older campaigns (because some planets were sunset.)

Last edited:

Tranquil

Beyond Light is the latest new campaign and you can still play Shadowkeep and Forsaken. You can no longer play some of the older campaigns (because some planets were sunset.)
Yeah, I played Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and the Moon. Stopped about halfway through Beyond Light.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I don’t even see Destiny 3 being made at all. Wouldn’t be surprised if they drop the 2 at some point as well since they recycling all of D1 content back into the game.

With stuff coming and going (mostly going now), they can freely add new stuff and rework systems when ever. No need to hold off for a number sequel.

sainraja

Yeah, I played Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and the Moon. Stopped about halfway through Beyond Light.
Oh gotcha, well, then the next one coming is going to be called 'The Witch Queen' and I believe that hits next year. Until then, we just have to play through the seasonal content and story that Bungie adds. Many people liked how this season Bungie added some story beats as the season progressed. Also the Presage mission for the exotic scout rifle called Dead Man's Tale is pretty fun! If you haven't tried that, I would try that.

I know they probably don't think it'd make them much money but I'd like to see a REAL singleplayer storyline set in the destiny universe. Not a GaAs

then again im not a fan of gaas games so what the hell do i know lol

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
If you'd have told me ten years ago that I'd care so little about a new (or the current tbh) Bungie game I'd have thought you were crazy.

nerdface

Banned
I know they probably don't think it'd make them much money but I'd like to see a REAL singleplayer storyline set in the destiny universe. Not a GaAs

then again im not a fan of gaas games so what the hell do i know lol

that’s what makes the first one so good, it’s a legit good loot shooter on its own...I did a little multiplayer story, but was mostly either single player, or in pvp

the pvp controls were just so good too, crank sensitivity, turn off auto-aim and pelt people in the head with the fastest assault rifle you can find...they’re literally helpless

I’m tempted to buy a PS4 and play the first game. Are people still online? Pretty sure I own the digital version.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pure shooters won’t love anything Bungie does they’re trying to loot and shoot but that’s shooters now a days.

Patrick S.

Banned
Destiny 1 and 2 were two of my favorite shooters ever. I hate that they lied regarding their 10 year plan for Destiny 1. I hate that they pump out expansion after expansion devaluating your older content. I hate the forced increases in power level with expansions. And I hate that vault shit, where they take content you paid for with your money away from you and may or may not put it back in the game at a later time.

It's a shame, because Destiny is SOOOOOOOO good, but they're really ruining it with their greed and unwillingness to maintain content the customer paid for.

I won't be back for Destiny 3.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
As expected, they mentioned in one previous TWAB that there will be one more chapter after Lightfall.

D2 is alright so far as other looter shooter competitors all sort of flopped. But by 2025 there should be some real contenders.

Ogbert

I love Destiny. Fucking great game. Awesome gunplay. Good exotic quests. Take it for what it is and there’s nothing that comes close.

Blond

Banned
With the frequent update and addons, the only reason to make D3 would be to make a new engine for the next gen machines.
Truly, I’m sure Destiny 2 only exist because there was so many fundamental things wrong with Destiny. Now that the new foundation is much better it only makes sense to expand on the “mmo” aspect via expansions and updates then making an entirely new game.

LordCBH

I also want them to unvault stuff like the raids and worlds. There’s a ton of awesome content they took away because....reasons.

Patrick S.

Banned
I also want them to unvault stuff like the raids and worlds. There’s a ton of awesome content they took away because....reasons.
The reason is that this content occupies server and tech support resources, and by denying those two things to the customers who paid for that stuff, Bungie is maximizing their revenue. It's greedy and pathetic.

VAVA Mk2

They are treating Destiny 2 like a game as a service now. They are just going to keep adding content to Destiny 2 for a while.

ripeavocado

Banned

They shouldn't even bother, just work on the other project.

sainraja

Truly, I’m sure Destiny 2 only exist because there was so many fundamental things wrong with Destiny. Now that the new foundation is much better it only makes sense to expand on the “mmo” aspect via expansions and updates then making an entirely new game.
They are also sunsetting planets to bring them back later based on new content they will be working on. So it's not like they are not re-working the game.

Raven117

Gold Member
I love me some Destiny as well, but the complete fuck up of the release of Destiny 2 (as opposed to building on Destiny 1), has really taken the wind out of it for me.

Im still an addict, but each time, the hits are less and less. There are only so many times I can take a ride on that hamsters wheel.

Romulus

Good, the whole series is so uninspired and generic. "Grind for cool armor and shiny shit!" Just hollow, soulless, mindless bullshit.

Last edited:

Barakov

This latest expansion sucked out all the interest I had for Destiny 2. For me it just became a real chore to play. They would have to really change it up for me to be interested in Destiny 3.

This still exists?? Their business model doesn't make any sense. Wasn't this a free to play game but you have to pay for some expansion or something like that? That's when I stopped playing. Also, when they made Destiny 2 free to play it didn't make sense for newcomers. The structure of the game was inexistent.

There wasn't a path for you to go through the world, there wasn't anything telling you what you should do.

So yeah, bungie should just scrap this and start over.

the_master

That is a shame.
I would rather have a new game than new content replacing the old one and then vanishing forever.

Now a days it is impossible to play the original story

LordOfChaos

That is a shame.
I would rather have a new game than new content replacing the old one and then vanishing forever.

Now a days it is impossible to play the original story
Yeah, it's frustrating how hard or impossible it is to get through a linear like campaign story of an older DLC when a new one has replaced it.

They should just add a SP campaign mode for each story to let you do that.

sainraja

I already said something along the lines of this in this thread lol. But I hope Bungie will package up the old campaigns into their own individual games. Would be a neat way to capture it.

Top Bottom