• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 3 is coming as Destiny 2

VertigoOA

Banned
This is not news for those following the game.

The current season is basically tracking the big bad Darkness pyramid ships finally coming to the game.

An in-game cinematic will be released this week or next (it’s already online if you look) of the Pyramids being close to Saturn and in our solar system. Current popular rumor is that the Titan patrol zone will be nuked from the game this summer in effort to free up game space for the fall.

Now what is the fall?

When Activision was still around, the original leaks, many of which from before Forsaken’s release all ended up being true... with that said... D3 was being planned for next gen launch and was said to feature new subclasses, two new patrol zones (Europa and the interior of a flagship pyramid ship as an end-game zone like the Dreaming city). 100 million dollars later and having bought out of their contract with Activision ...plans changed big time.

Bungie has officially tweeted that D2 will support next gen consoles. That means faster load times thanks to SSD (and console versions need it!), true 4K 60 on both consoles and increased FOV. Background quality of life adjustments have begun facilitating some of these things now (being able to recolor cross-hairs etc.)

If you follow the end-game cinematic of the Vanilla D2 you can see how things changed. We weren’t supposed to go to the moon... a return to the Dreadnaught was supposed to up next but that has changed.

Essentially Shadowkeep and Year 3 has been a skeleton year as the last two years of D3 development has been moved into D2. There may not be a D3 for a number of years. Currently we know that Bungie wants to be a multi-IP developer and publisher by 2025 which includes Destiny and Matter for the time being.

We’re looking at what should be a full-sized game expansion. Our current weapons are being power capped for the 3rd time in the series’ history to make room for large amounts of new loot.

If you want to know what Europa, the interior of the Pyramid ships, and even a look at Darkness enemy units... it’s all been available since D1 pre production. Essentially Destiny has begun to realize its original design concepts in many ways. Nice to see nothing really got left on the table... not even the narrative of us being the villains of the universe (which is has been A smaller part of the narrative these last two years

We should be getting a reveal for the summer season within weeks or days. I expect that to be an even bigger tease for the fall. Fall expansion trailer should come days later at Geoff Keighley’s summer games fest event.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Some of the new enemy units

destiny_conceptart_10Whw.jpg
F721Darkness.jpg

Original basic concept art for enemy race types

Europa ( home of Deep Stone Crypt - where Exos like Cayde-6 were made)

Destiny-Europa.jpg

Supposed interior of flagship Pyramid ship
mark-kolobaev-bungie-concept-artstation.jpg

Fallen civil war plot line also happening. But I expect that to be the strung yearly narrative or following fall expansion.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
4K60fps on next-gen consoles will definitely be a plus.

I mainly played D2 on PS4, but tried the demo on PC, and damn, completely different game.

VertigoOA

Banned
And the source for this is where?

Also we know that theres gonna be a Destiny 2 year 4, Luke Smith has said as much

the huge disaster clock in-game that shows the pyramids moving closer and closer to in-game locations. There’s a lot of them... a lot

Luke Smith also said “years 4, 5, and 6, etc...”. You can’t always take this literally. I still think the game has an endpoint too but I also have seen plans changed yearly ...

They teased cross-play and skill tree reworks last year so imagine those are closer to happening this fall.

The biggest question is whether Sony will make users rebuy digital licenses to content on PS5 because I expect Xbox versions to be fully compatible on Series X.

Last edited:
Extra content, maybe a new expansion or whatever yeah sure but this aint Destiny 3 content chief. They'll support the game because it's played but they are 100% working on a sequel.

VertigoOA

Banned
Extra content, maybe a new expansion or whatever yeah sure but this aint Destiny 3 content chief. They'll support the game because it's played but they are 100% working on a sequel.

Last two years of D3 development IS this fall’s expansion. It’s not happening for years as they’re already hinting at at least three more years of D2.

Weapons now have a one year shelf life. All the of systems being implemented are long term investments. D3 isn’t happening either at all or anytime soon.

The game is successful still. In the top 10 most played games almost year round for every platform it’s on and their bottom line. Bungie being a publisher and developer increases the risk of building new engine or dropping user base. They’re sticking with it

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Releasing sequels for live service GAAS shit like this is the worst thing you can do. The team maintaining the current game and engaging with players is not the one building the sequel, so you end up making the same mistakes all over again and pissing everyone off. It happened with this game and Division. Bungie would have to be the dumbest dev team on earth to do that again, although I won't put it past them.

SCB3

They're also working on a new IP Matter and a mobile game for a Chinese publisher as well(I think it was Tencent)

VertigoOA

Banned
They're also working on a new IP Matter and a mobile game for a Chinese publisher as well(I think it was Tencent)

They got an investment from mobile Chinese company NetEase for 100 million. It does not mean they are working on a mobile IP. It’s rumored it cost them 100 million to get out of Activision deal.

Matter is being directed by former raid design lead Christopher Barret and expect to launch in 2025. Luke Smith staying as Director of Destiny.

Current gen being supported still should hold it back unless they drop it as they did 360 and PS3 for Rise of Iron. I don’t know if any engine improvements they may have built for what was D3 can be implemented into the current game. I do have concerns of it becoming a Bethesda-like Frankenstein’s monster after a few more years.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Sorry but where is the source in 4k/60 and that it will be supported on next generation systems? Don't recall seeing that anywhere. I heard something about next generation but nothing about it being confirmed.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
" Current popular rumor is that the Titan patrol zone will be nuked from the game "

YES! please be true. god i HATE the Titan area.

anyway, it's was obvious Destiny 2 was gonna be sticking around a lot longer before we get D3 if we ever do get it. I think the game is looking quite dated so I do hope we get Destiny 3 with new improved visuals and engine enhancements.

we'll probably get D2 on next gen then about 2-3 years later we'll get Destiny 3 which will see out the rest of the generation and maybe set itself up as an ongoing game throughout the years.

VertigoOA

Banned
Nice, but no 4k60 confirmation I take it? Just a patch (most likely)?

There’s no reason not to expect next gen performance on-par with current pc standards. It’s already 4K on One X. Both frame rate and FOV are CPU constraints of current gen. And you can see current gen hampering the experience lately.

The question is if PS5 version will be a “port” because I expect smart delivery on Series X. Whether you will be able to play 30fps current gen and next gen 60fps is the question.

I’m expecting cross-play to launch tho. Gen vs gen support to mitigate frame rate discrepancies (fuck pc cheating scumbags).

It’ll still be sorta free to play (“start”). Next gen launch is an opportunity for another relaunch. And everyone always downloads a bunch of free shit at launch just because...

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

There’s no reason not to expect next gen performance on-par with current pc standards. It’s already 4K on One X. Both frame rate and FOV are CPU constraints of current gen. And you can see current gen hampering the experience lately.

The question is if PS5 version will be a “port” because I expect smart delivery on Series X. Whether you will be able to play 30fps current gen and next gen 60fps is the question.

I’m expecting cross-play to launch tho. Gen vs gen support to mitigate frame rate discrepancies (fuck pc cheating scumbags).
That would be great. I wonder if they won't do 60fps on consoles (assuming cross play) due to PvP and it's impacts on the "competitive" side.

I'd assume Sony would leave that up to the developer to decide but who knows now days.

Can't wait to get rid of minute long load times. Although, if the rest of the Fireteam is on PS4 will it matter? Still waiting on them

VertigoOA

Banned
Unless cross-platform is supported in some way I expect it to be fragmented. Such is why I’m leaning towards One and pS4 being able to play with eachother and Series X and PS5 being cross play with eachother.

PS4 to PS5 tho? At best I can see it being a toggle option.

I wouldn’t expect backward compatibility necessarily probably just next gen ports.

It depends if the licenses bought to content on current gen carries over. We know Xbox is pushing that kind of stuff. I get a feeling Sony might have you rebuy it all. All of that seems like it’s a deal to deal situation right now so who knows but we should have that information coming soon.

We know Fortnite and a Rainbow Six will be moving into next gen. What happens with on-going games from generation to generation will be interesting to see. For all we know the same exact games will still dominate two years from now.

Last edited:

small_law

I don't want to come off as petulant, but with 4K/60 fps or 1440p/120 fps being table stakes for next gen, it's going to be really hard to tolerate anything less than that from D2 on Series X and PS5. I'll be very surprised if Bungie isn't ready with ports within the console launch windows, if not day one.

I hope that's the case. I bounce between PS4 and PC. If you haven't played D2 at 60+ fps, you're in for a treat. Hopefully.

And the source for this is where?

Also we know that theres gonna be a Destiny 2 year 4, Luke Smith has said as much

The source is from the tales of his ass. Don't you love it when people spew bullshit and make it as if it's a fact? Lol.

I don't want to come off as petulant, but with 4K/60 fps or 1440p/120 fps being table stakes for next gen, it's going to be really hard to tolerate anything less than that from D2 on Series X and PS5. I'll be very surprised if Bungie isn't ready with ports within the console launch windows, if not day one.

I hope that's the case. I bounce between PS4 and PC. If you haven't played D2 at 60+ fps, you're in for a treat. Hopefully.
Yeah, Destiny 2 at 60 fps is bliss. That’s not to say it doesn’t play well at 30 FPS because it does. Bungie basically perfected 30fps console shooters IMO.

Unless cross-platform is supported in some way I expect it to be fragmented. Such is why I’m leaning towards One and pS4 being able to play with eachother and Series X and PS5 being cross play with eachother.

PS4 to PS5 tho? At best I can see it being a toggle option.

I wouldn’t expect backward compatibility necessarily probably just next gen ports.

It depends if the licenses bought to content on current gen carries over. We know Xbox is pushing that kind of stuff. I get a feeling Sony might have you rebuy it all. All of that seems like it’s a deal to deal situation right now so who knows but we should have that information coming soon.

We know Fortnite and a Rainbow Six will be moving into next gen. What happens with on-going games from generation to generation will be interesting to see. For all we know the same exact games will still dominate two years from now.

The concept of a "cross-gen library" seems to be getting more and more shine. MS seems to be touting it quite a bit with Smart Delivery and whatnot. In a game like Fortnite I have to imagine that everything you've bought/unlocked will follow you. For Destiny 2 I could see it working out either way. Maybe existing players can upgrade to the next-gen version at a discount?

SCB3

Yeah, Destiny 2 at 60 fps is bliss. That’s not to say it doesn’t play well at 30 FPS because it does. Bungie basically perfected 30fps console shooters IMO.

Peope tend to forget that Bungie made Halo, so all that praise that people are giving Halo CE to Reach in the MCC and saying 4 and 5 aren't as good, remember it was Bungie that made those fantastic games, hell I'd argue Halo 2 is one of the best FPS games ever

Top Bottom