• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal going live in 15 minutes (9:00 AM PST)

Tomeru

I dunno, i feel like this franchise is always in beta phase. Once you get used to something, it changes completely and you have to get used to it all over again. I wish this game had some consistency.

I would hate to be a new Destiny player hopping into the franchise for the first time. It must be so confusing to them.

What? This is the easiest game to get used to whenever new content drops. Like, the easiest game ever. New players joining a live service game after 4 years will always be confused for a bit. It goes away after a couple of hours in D2.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Excited for what is to come. That said, I was hoping we would see cross play this year and I am surprised at the amount of content going into the vault. Streamlining quests, rotating raids and removing useless/redundant content like escalation protocol and forges is one thing but removing entire locations is another.

VertigoOA

Banned
Excited for what is to come. That said, I was hoping we would see cross play this year and I am surprised at the amount of content going into the vault. Streamlining quests, rotating raids and removing useless/redundant content like escalation protocol and forges is one thing but removing entire locations is another.

I don’t revisit old content like ever... it’s always forward. Most of the things on the chopping block have little to no activity. Keeping stronger elements and bringing back favorites with changes. A quality control initiative isn’t unheard of ... FF14 just did something similar.

We always knew the dreadnaught is coming back For instance and that’s happening in the witch queen expansion. Cosmodrome would be exciting honestly ... loved that place. They’ve pretty much erased vanilla D2... all the f2p content is going byebye it seems.

Still certain the Darkness are going to appear this fall. Europa is the only shown patrol area, but just like forsaken ... the bigger end game zone will unlock post game.

I won’t be surprised if they keep it secret and let us see for ourselves at launch. They’ve been teasing hard for a year now. New subclass and element type too.

Still have no idea what the content of the current season is. Aside from the new dungeon the stream didnt show it at all ... we’re pretty seeing it now ourselves. It’s kinda exciting ... season of the teaser trailer

The leaks were accurate three years in a row. It’s clearly intentional at this point.

Last edited:
I'm weak so I'll hop in later to see what's up.

However cross-generational support aka not taking advantage of next-gen hardware to its fullest except generic graphic sliders is a big bummer. Not every-game needs that I get it but ohh well... we'll see if Destiny has Fortnite resilience.

Last edited:
It has to be a cost-cutting decision. Instancing play spaces for that many locations means you have to have a space reserve on the servers when the player utilization stats are piss poor. I can't really think of another reason why they would do it other than the content being outdated and distracting players from what Bungie would prefer to funnel them through.

Kerotan

Super hyped for the future of destiny. So much good stuff coming. Sad to see 4 destinations leaving but it wouldn't be possible to get so much content otherwise.

Quick question for anyone who plays, as someone who has never played Destiny 2, is the upgrade edition all i need to get all story content availible right now? and also, is it too late to start playing?

Thanks,

Quick question for anyone who plays, as someone who has never played Destiny 2, is the upgrade edition all i need to get all story content availible right now? and also, is it too late to start playing?

Thanks,

I'm not sure if the upgrade edition includes everything available, and part of their announcement was that they plan to vault older content, but the game itself is free. You can start playing today, and it's not too late. The main thing you need to understand is that the game is free, but each major expansion is sold separately. If something looks fun, sounds good, or you have friends who are playing it, you can buy that expansion without needing to buy older content.

The base game of Destiny 2 is still free, though, and all the year one content to go along with it. That's a great deal of the content that has been announced for the vault, though, so it might be better to play it now rather than later.

I'm not sure if the upgrade edition includes everything available, and part of their announcement was that they plan to vault older content, but the game itself is free. You can start playing today, and it's not too late. The main thing you need to understand is that the game is free, but each major expansion is sold separately. If something looks fun, sounds good, or you have friends who are playing it, you can buy that expansion without needing to buy older content.

The base game of Destiny 2 is still free, though, and all the year one content to go along with it. That's a great deal of the content that has been announced for the vault, though, so it might be better to play it now rather than later.
Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it

Neolombax

I'm actually OK with them vaulting some locations and content to make way for new ones. I very rarely even do flashpoint locations nowadays. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth from these old locations.

I'm excited with where Destiny is headed. It remains the only game that I have played for years, consistently. It feels like the story is coming together slowly and finally going somewhere. I'm happy that the Exo Stranger is back in the picture, that arc was a major cliffhanger from D1.

j0hnnix

Does NeoGaf have a guild for destiny or has it died out? I'm thinking of jumping back in with the new season and expansion, probably will pick it up for PC and play on Xbox since cross save makes it easier to bounce around.

VertigoOA

Banned
Does NeoGaf have a guild for destiny or has it died out? I'm thinking of jumping back in with the new season and expansion, probably will pick it up for PC and play on Xbox since cross save makes it easier to bounce around.

Yea and no. In all honestly we need to create a new one since old DestinyGAF probably moved over to resetera... and honestly ... I’ll never play with those losers and refuse to carry their banner or be associated with them.

I’ll start a new one after I get the Weekly xp engram with my current clan this week.

Proper game discussion happens here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/destiny-2-shadowkeep-ot4-free-stuff-for-everybody.1504612/page-21

Last edited:

Inviusx

I got this for free on PSN in 2018 and honestly I got bored after like 6 hours. I don't really see the appeal to be honest.

j0hnnix

Yea and no. In all honestly we need to create a new one since old DestinyGAF probably moved over to resetera... and honestly ... I’ll never play with those losers and refuse to carry their banner or be associated with them.

I’ll start a new one after I get the Weekly xp engram with my current clan this week.

Proper game discussion happens here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/destiny-2-shadowkeep-ot4-free-stuff-for-everybody.1504612/page-21

Thanks. I agree we should create a new one. I remember it moving over to resetera.

Lanrutcon

I'm always curious about coming back, but I'm not sure about their current stance on loot. How much shit is locked behind PVP and raiding?

I guess I should jump back in. Shadowkeep was a huge let down (story-telling wise), and all the seasons that followed it were lackluster at best. I've been waiting for the Pyramids of the Darkness to arrive and wreak havoc on the system for 3 years, and it looks like we finally arrived at the comparative of Destiny's Infinity War movie, with Destiny Lightfall being the Endgame.

I can't wait to see Destiny's take on geometry wars.

Terce

Are the platforms still entirely separate? I purchased one of the expansions on my PS4 and was extremely disappointed to see that it didn't carry over to PC, so I would have to make sure I started bounties on PS4 if I was going to be on PC at all that day.

If this type of arrangement is going to carry over than I'm just going to drop the game and move to something that actually offers compatibility, not sure why my character would sync but unlocked content on the account wouldn't

mekes

I haven’t been keeping up for the past few expansions. Destiny has been a wild ride, full of some pretty damn good highs and in the gutter lows. Considering the game was made with extreme replay-ability in mind I was always sad that Exotic weapons and armor went completely obsolete along with raids. Both being the more compelling reasons to play long term. It spoiled the game for me.

Overall I think the game has been on a slow decline since late original base game onwards. I can’t even be bothered to watch the videos or read up on the new updates as I don’t think my issues with the game are going to be fixed. I think it would take D3 and a 180 in design philosophy for me to pay interest again.

VertigoOA

Banned
It seems that cosmodrome will be free and meant to expand the free to start aspect and will be available on sep 22nd with the next expansion. Well... all patrol zones are free etc... but still.

They confirmed that 3 raids will be launching this fall. I think that’s insane! Vault of Glass to launch later also. That’s 4 raids confirmed for the next year alone. Pretty nuts. Surprised it’s true. This expansion just became the biggest destiny release to date.

So 4 patrol zones and year 1 raids being removed and 3 patrol zones, 3 raids taking their place this fall.

Last edited:
It seems that cosmodrome will be free and meant to expand the free to start aspect and will be available on sep 22nd with the next expansion. Well... all patrol zones are free etc... but still.

They confirmed that 3 raids will be launching this fall. I think that’s insane! Vault of Glass to launch later also. That’s 4 raids confirmed for the next year alone. Pretty nuts. Surprised it’s true. This expansion just became the biggest destiny release to date.

So 4 patrol zones and year 1 raids being removed and 3 patrol zones, 3 raids taking their place this fall.
Strikes are going away too. It isn't clear but if the assets are gone for locations, it makes sense although I dont like it one bit. I've paid for that content. It shouldnt cycle out so I can pay for it again.

Top Bottom