• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PS5 + Xbox Series S|X Upgrades Launch Dec 8th (4K, 60FPS)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haven't played since the original, my first reaction is....what the fuck have they done to the character created?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So when I load up the cosmodrone, my tv states it's receiving a 120hz signal. My tv also shows current fps and I can see a couple drops down to 117hz when panning the camera around, this means it's actually running at 120hz right? I thought the 120hz option was only for pvp.

Edit: This is on series x without any toggles being clicked, I just have the Xbox set to 120hz.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
They did mention this patch introduces adaptive trigger on DualSense too, but I couldn't feel it in game and didn't find option in settings. Anyone has clues?

Shmunter

You can do an introductory mission and engage in the basic playlist activities like strikes, pvp and gambit.

Unless you’re in gamespass you don’t have any content from year 1. So no campaign content unless you have one of the expansions (Forsaken’s, shadowkeep, or beyond light).

They pretty much push new players into the newest expansion.
No gamepass, am on PS5. Do you know if having originally owned the Activision retail copy translates to some add on content without added fees?

Edit : this video demystified the change....original content is there, buried under some legacy option available at some point....

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Did they mention 120fps mode?
There's a toggle for it in options on PS5, and I assume XSX

chessy_08

Its stupid smooth at fps on ps5. Messed up thing it looks like trash on my tv because it only supports 1080p 120hz with no HDR

Holy shit the 60fps is the most transformative thing out of Destiny 2. I downloaded the PS5 version thanks to the free PS plus PS4 version. The first thing i immediately notice is how snappy, responsive and engaging the gunplay is thanks to 60fps.

But i have a problem, this isn't how Destiny 2 started when i played it on PS4, when i booted the game a cinematic plays and there's a setpiece moment where the character gets kicked off from the ledge of a top aircraft carrier. But after booting Destiny 2 on PS5, the game is putting me into Destiny 1 SP first story mission. Someone explain me what's going on with the game, how to experience Destiny 2 properly it's single player story content

Antelope

Holy shit the 60fps is the most transformative thing out of Destiny 2. I downloaded the PS5 version thanks to the free PS plus PS4 version. The first thing i immediately notice is how snappy, responsive and engaging the gunplay is thanks to 60fps.

But i have a problem, this isn't how Destiny 2 started when i played it on PS4, when i booted the game a cinematic plays and there's a setpiece moment where the character gets kicked off from the ledge of a top aircraft carrier. But after booting Destiny 2 on PS5, the game is putting me into Destiny 1 SP first story mission. Someone explain me what's going on with the game, how to experience Destiny 2 properly it's single player story content
They re-did the intro missions and cut out some stuff. It was very confusing for newcomers....well I think it still is but apparently it’s a little bit better. My advice, shoot the guns, don’t think too much about the story.

They re-did the intro missions and cut out some stuff. It was very confusing for newcomers....well I think it still is but apparently it’s a little bit better. My advice, shoot the guns, don’t think too much about the story.

Copy that, so here's what happened. The game apparently knew my Destiny 1 character level thingie and it booted me into this beyond light moon mission thing. I got decimated one shot death from almost everyone. So was this because i was under level? I created a new character and then booted this sequence and wasn't dying in one shot. Also the game took me to the opening mission of Destiny 1 but it wasn't the Game of thrones man narrating the game. Someone explain what order i should start destiny 2, i am a newbie here :(

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You can do an introductory mission and engage in the basic playlist activities like strikes, pvp and gambit.

Unless you’re in gamespass you don’t have any content from year 1. So no campaign content unless you have one of the expansions (Forsaken’s, shadowkeep, or beyond light).

They pretty much push new players into the newest expansion.

Wait so the main game had no real missions? That might explain why when I finished the first mission it just seemed to put me on some stupid map where the aliens keep dropping in.
Why wouldn't they direct the player in some way? If you hadn't said this i might have never played it again......
I do have gamepass.....

Oh ya and the game looks and plays great.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Copy that, so here's what happened. The game apparently knew my Destiny 1 character level thingie and it booted me into this beyond light moon mission thing. I got decimated one shot death from almost everyone. So was this because i was under level? I created a new character and then booted this sequence and wasn't dying in one shot. Also the game took me to the opening mission of Destiny 1 but it wasn't the Game of thrones man narrating the game. Someone explain what order i should start destiny 2, i am a newbie here :(
It used to have an option to choose campaign at the title screen. They've changed it so now you have to choose the campaign as a location on the world maps. It will say as such.
  1. The Red War
  2. Curse of Osiris
  3. Warmind
  4. Forsaken
  5. Shadowkeep
Each is a different story but to enjoy it to its fullest and have continuity I strongly recommend completing them in the correct order.

Last edited by a moderator:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It used to have an option to choose campaign at the title screen. They've changed it so now you have to choose the campaign as a location on the world maps. It will say as such.
  1. The Red War
  2. Curse of Osiris
  3. Warmind
  4. Forsaken
  5. Shadowkeep
Each is a different story but to enjoy it to its fullest and have continuity I strongly recommend completing them in the correct order.

So these 5 add missions, do they equate an actual game all together? How would you rate them vs other first person shooters?

Codes 208

Crucible with 120fps enabled is friggin nuts. I would love to see some comparisons of pre-patch to next gen (plus 120hz mode)

the load times alone make the difference, holy shit.
So these 5 add missions, do they equate an actual game all together? How would you rate them vs other first person shooters?
2 and 3 are smaller compared to the rest as they were just small expansions but overall each campign is pretty good. Though red war is a bit lackluster imo.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member

The first campaign is just ok and they continue to get better and better.
Each campaign takes place on a different planet and offers something different.
Imo a person would only be shorting themselves by not playing them all in order.
Each one takes about 4-8 hours to play through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riky

$MSFT
So when I load up the cosmodrone, my tv states it's receiving a 120hz signal. My tv also shows current fps and I can see a couple drops down to 117hz when panning the camera around, this means it's actually running at 120hz right? I thought the 120hz option was only for pvp.

Edit: This is on series x without any toggles being clicked, I just have the Xbox set to 120hz.

You can output at 120hz on Xbox on a 60fps game, it gives you a slightly smoother ride due to 8ms frame times.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Its stupid smooth at fps on ps5. Messed up thing it looks like trash on my tv because it only supports 1080p 120hz with no HDR
go to ps5 turn off HDR and it should be fine. I do the same thing for COD
i have the c9 that is capable on the latest update.. And HDR is broken too in 120fps
so fuck that. Keep that HDR for 4k 60 games..

go to ps5 turn off HDR and it should be fine. I do the same thing for COD
i have the c9 that is capable on the latest update.. And HDR is broken too in 120fps
so fuck that. Keep that HDR for 4k 60 games..

Why not turn HDR off in the D2 settings instead of on the system?

But yeah, super-dark when enabled! lol Mine was disabled by default when I loaded it up. FOV turned up to 105 :D

MadPanda

Banned
How is the game with all three major expansions for newcomers? I played destiny 2 campaign and that's it. I'd like to play it along with campaigns, but I don't know if it's welcome to New players or not. I'd probably play some crucible and gambit too.

Yabusamaro

Neo Member
So tried Destiny 2 in my Xbox Series X for checking up the 60hz and 120hz options. Graphically looks good and smooth. But when I tried to play, the controller options are just bare bones: No dead-zone configuration, no curve configuration, etc. It is virtually unplayable for me because the analog curve of the thumbsticks goes from very slow to ultra fast in the best configuration scenario. Tried the Xbox Elite curves configuration but still not optimal.

Are there any plans on adding more controller configuration options like Titanfall 2 (the best) or at least like Gears 5 (dead zones and acceleration)?

BigLee74

Well, I can easily see me repaying this. It feels like a new game at 60 fps, what a difference!

As touched on above though, I can't get HDR settings to look good. There is so much black crush indoors... It genuinely looks terrible.

Vtecomega

Banned
So tried Destiny 2 in my Xbox Series X for checking up the 60hz and 120hz options. Graphically looks good and smooth. But when I tried to play, the controller options are just bare bones: No dead-zone configuration, no curve configuration, etc. It is virtually unplayable for me because the analog curve of the thumbsticks goes from very slow to ultra fast in the best configuration scenario. Tried the Xbox Elite curves configuration but still not optimal.

Are there any plans on adding more controller configuration options like Titanfall 2 (the best) or at least like Gears 5 (dead zones and acceleration)?

I believe the Xbox version has always had deadzone issue. Even back when I had it on the Xbox x version It was unplayable for me to the point where I had to switch to the PS4 pro version.

The ps5 version is on point and actually controls a lot better than the PS4 version. That could come down to the 60fps but deadzone feels like it should.

BigLee74

I've upped the FOV to 95, and there is no noticeable dips from 60 fps.

Not sure how reliable my old eyes are though...

mitch1971

Well, I can easily see me repaying this. It feels like a new game at 60 fps, what a difference!

As touched on above though, I can't get HDR settings to look good. There is so much black crush indoors... It genuinely looks terrible.
Don't both with HDR. It's one of the worst implementions in a game I've seen. I can't believe after all these years they haven't even fixed it.

T-Cake

Could FOV impact FPS on either console? Also what's the recommended FOV settings?

I think the range they've included means it's a solid 60fps all the way. The game doesn't take much to run so it's presumably safe to say that they had plenty of overhead to implement the FOV slider anyway.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
If you’re a free player .... there’s no real endgame to engage in.

That’s a bit of an issue ... because where that’s where the game shows what it is and could be.

HOWEVER!

Prophecy Dungeon should be free to all players. It’s also one of the best pieces of content in the game and cooler than most raids. It’s a 3-man activity over a 6-man raid but it’s the only real end game chase for free players.

Unless you’re a pvp player. Then there’s always trials...

If you’re a free player .... there’s no real endgame to engage in.

That’s a bit of an issue ... because where that’s where the game shows what it is and could be.

HOWEVER!

Prophecy Dungeon should be free to all players. It’s also one of the best pieces of content in the game and cooler than most raids. It’s a 3-man activity over a 6-man raid but it’s the only real end game chase for free players.

Unless you’re a pvp player. Then there’s always trials...

Ive never done a dungeon lol

Trogdor1123

I was doing a strike on Nessus and got a touch of sub 60 frames in one part but other than that it has been stellar.

Was working on the hawkmoon quest last night too. I wish these one off locations were usable for more than just a single quest.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Damn, the game runs silky smooth. Very well optimized.

I think this is just a case of a 2014 era game engine running on 2020 HW, Bungie don't seem to be technical wizards.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Destiny 2 was released on 2017 though. And it looks ridiculously awesome.

And is basically the same engine as Destiny 1 and not much better looking. They added some nice particle effects? It looks fine, but the HW is doing all the work here. The 6TF XBX was already 4k, so all they did was get to 60fps due to the new CPUs.

Top Bottom