• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PS5 + Xbox Series S|X Upgrades Launch Dec 8th (4K, 60FPS)

ultrazilla

FYI, I ported over my game from my old PS4 Pro to my PS5 when I got the 5 at launch.

There are already much more improved load times(to and from orbit) are very quick now(my average is like 5-6 seconds).

Can't wait for the full 4k/60fps patch tomorrow, having the game on PC(Steam with cross-save) it was hard to play on the PS4 Pro(30fps)
after playing in native 4k/60fps plus on PC. It's so buttery smooth.

Now, we'll basically be getting the PC perks on home consoles(Series X/PS5). Gonna be awesome.

This is gonna get me back into Destiny. I love the crucible but I don’t wanna play 30fps competitive MP

More like actually introduce Destiny 2 to me. I deleted the game after installing it on PS4, just couldn't stand the 30fps gameplay/gunplay. Felt lousy :( so yeah can't wait for the 60fps update for PS5!

retsof624

More like actually introduce Destiny 2 to me. I deleted the game after installing it on PS4, just couldn't stand the 30fps gameplay/gunplay. Felt lousy :( so yeah can't wait for the 60fps update for PS5!
I game shared it from a friend at launch and definitely enjoyed the PVE content but I couldn't get comfortable in the crucible because of it only being 30fps. I was messing around with the sensitivity trying to find the perfect setting and I couldn't. Plus, I watched some PC footage when that version came out a few months later and REALLY couldn't go back to playing after seeing how smooth the PC version was.

I was playing Destiny lightly August through October, and I dropped it until this patch came out.

The game is good, but I have never had a game so immediately rewarding that urges you to play in the moment...and then the second you stop playing I have no idea why I would ever care at all.

Antelope

Should I wait to install it tomorrow or can I download the game now and update it when the next gen patch drops? I was really excited for this expansion, but it seems kind of a like a dud. Now I want to check out the patch and see if next gen version is worth playing.

FYI, I ported over my game from my old PS4 Pro to my PS5 when I got the 5 at launch.

There are already much more improved load times(to and from orbit) are very quick now(my average is like 5-6 seconds).

Can't wait for the full 4k/60fps patch tomorrow, having the game on PC(Steam with cross-save) it was hard to play on the PS4 Pro(30fps)

Now, we'll basically be getting the PC perks on home consoles(Series X/PS5). Gonna be awesome.

do we know if the graphics will be equivalent to maxed out on PC? i have a 1080ti and can run max graphics at 4K on my pc (i9 processor too). so i'd imagine that xsx and ps5 can do it too. currently the aliasing on xsx (back compat version of course) is pretty bad. game looks so beautiful on pc at 4K/60.

edit: just went back and looked at DF's analysis of the xbox one x 4K upgrade back in 2017. basically, it was just resolution upgraded. so here's to hoping it's more than just frame rate on this one!

"But it's fair to say that the scope of the enhancements made to Destiny 2 are resolution-based alone - and if there are disappointments here, it comes from the fact that the established range of console settings remains on par with the base versions of the game in every way. Shadows retain the low resolution found in the original, and while view distances look fine, they clearly lag behind the richer PC release. Anti-aliasing remains the same too - it does the job, but adds a tiny amount of blur compared to PC at its best."

Last edited:
Should I wait to install it tomorrow or can I download the game now and update it when the next gen patch drops? I was really excited for this expansion, but it seems kind of a like a dud. Now I want to check out the patch and see if next gen version is worth playing.

i have the same conundrum. after looking around, decided to keep the download i have of it on and then let it receive the patch/update (which basically deletes what needs to be deleted and then downloads the new game ~70GB). so bsically, i would download now and let your PS5/XSX do the magic itself tomorrow.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
As it says, same everything except rendering resolution.

I guess that ended up not being true with some of the DF breakdowns, like Valhalla and Dirt 5. LEss pixels and less of everything else.

Dynasty8

Wait till tomorrow. The next gen "patch" requires a full reinstall.

Also, what makes you say it's a dud? The expansion is awesome if you're into Destiny. The game overall is just fun IMHO. The gunplay, movement, the different worlds, the social aspect, and now the fact the game is going to run in 60fps (120fps for PvP) makes Destiny one of the funnest shooters on the market.

ultrazilla

do we know if the graphics will be equivalent to maxed out on PC? i have a 1080ti and can run max graphics at 4K on my pc (i9 processor too). so i'd imagine that xsx and ps5 can do it too. currently the aliasing on xsx (back compat version of course) is pretty bad. game looks so beautiful on pc at 4K/60.

edit: just went back and looked at DF's analysis of the xbox one x 4K upgrade back in 2017. basically, it was just resolution upgraded. so here's to hoping it's more than just frame rate on this one!

"But it's fair to say that the scope of the enhancements made to Destiny 2 are resolution-based alone - and if there are disappointments here, it comes from the fact that the established range of console settings remains on par with the base versions of the game in every way. Shadows retain the low resolution found in the original, and while view distances look fine, they clearly lag behind the richer PC release. Anti-aliasing remains the same too - it does the job, but adds a tiny amount of blur compared to PC at its best."

EDIT: Just so everyone knows(I don't think many have picked up on this) Bungie is saying we have to re-download the entire game for Series X and PS5 to take advantage of next gen features(4k/60fps/120fps)

According to Bungie, the Series X and PS5 patch is native 4k.

destiny_next_gen.png

Here's a really great article on what the patch contains along with other items of interest:

Destiny 2 PS5 and Xbox Series X Countdown: Start Time, Patch Notes, Server Downtime and New Features

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Did the same here, loadtimes are significantly improved, especially the mid level ones

Should be a great day tomorrow.

draliko

This could be the thing that brings me back in, other than the fact d2 expansions are free on gamepass

EDIT: Just so everyone knows(I don't think many have picked up on this) Bungie is saying we have to re-download the entire game for Series X and PS5 to take advantage of next gen features(4k/60fps/120fps)

According to Bungie, the Series X and PS5 patch is native 4k.

destiny_next_gen.png

Here's a really great article on what the patch contains along with other items of interest:

Destiny 2 PS5 and Xbox Series X Countdown: Start Time, Patch Notes, Server Downtime and New Features

yeah, saw that. which shows me resolution and framerate. so the game is already 4K on xbox one x. so are we to infer that the only upgrade (outside of "faster load times", which are there today) is going to be framerate boost? don't get me wrong, that alone will be great! just would be awesome to have maxed graphics/settings too. i mean, it's my understanding that the new systems are more than capable of doing this.

ultrazilla

yeah, saw that. which shows me resolution and framerate. so the game is already 4K on xbox one x. so are we to infer that the only upgrade (outside of "faster load times", which are there today) is going to be framerate boost? don't get me wrong, that alone will be great! just would be awesome to have maxed graphics/settings too. i mean, it's my understanding that the new systems are more than capable of doing this.

I haven't heard/read that there are any other actual visual/performance boosts outside the native 4k, higher framerates and improved loading times(that are supposed to be even quicker with the next gen patch btw)
Guess we'll have to wait for the breakdown of the patch from DF to see if Bungie was able to sneak anything else into it.

I haven't heard/read that there are any other actual visual/performance boosts outside the native 4k, higher framerates and improved loading times(that are supposed to be even quicker with the next gen patch btw)
Guess we'll have to wait for the breakdown of the patch from DF to see if Bungie was able to sneak anything else into it.

just been oddly pumped for this patch for a while now. love destiny. hate the 30fps. play on my pc but i prefer the console experience. all my friends are on console, etc. this is a good week for gamers!

Antelope

Wait till tomorrow. The next gen "patch" requires a full reinstall.

Also, what makes you say it's a dud? The expansion is awesome if you're into Destiny. The game overall is just fun IMHO. The gunplay, movement, the different worlds, the social aspect, and now the fact the game is going to run in 60fps (120fps for PvP) makes Destiny one of the funnest shooters on the market.
Thanks!

I have been day 1 on all the expansions, I just felt really burned by the seasons last year. So I love the world and the gameplay, but I feel like I spend every season grinding for new—and less interesting—gear.

Also, I’ve been hearing mixed reviews on reddit....but I should know better than to read reddit.

Have you been enjoying the expansion?

GymWolf

Too bad you have to do the campaign solo, it was a slog on pc and i can't see myself doing it again.

A 1080ti is just around 60fps at 4k max, since gpu comparisons are all the rage.

Really interesting to see if loading times are good. The wait is painfully slow at times, even on pc.

Dynasty8

Thanks!

I have been day 1 on all the expansions, I just felt really burned by the seasons last year. So I love the world and the gameplay, but I feel like I spend every season grinding for new—and less interesting—gear.

Also, I’ve been hearing mixed reviews on reddit....but I should know better than to read reddit.

Have you been enjoying the expansion?

Yeah, I totally get what you mean by the seasons. I feel like it's just there to add some small stuff during the drought.

And yeah, reddit is the one place I'd recommend to stay out of. With almost 2 million subscribers, the main posts you'll see are those who have done everything and just want to vent nonstop. It's not a bad place, but it's a common trend where a new expansion comes out, people are having a blast during the first couple weeks and then 2 weeks later, all you see are complaints from people. Personally, yeah... I want more. I love the game and it can always be improved, but I have to be realistic, Bungie splitting from Activision has removed a big chunk of developer resources. We will never see something as big as Forsaken, but Beyond Light has provided me with a lot of fun. I am personally enjoying everything from the campaign, the challenging Master Nightfalls/Empire Hunts, and the new Raid is one of the best yet. Also, the Crucible sandbox is the best it has been since Destiny 1. It's very well balanced now and Stasis is a blast once you get the hang of it and how to counter it.

NBNW13

Neo Member
Do we know when the upgrade goes live? Is it a midnight update, available at reset or at some other time?

VertigoOA

Banned
So can we say goodbye to traveling into space loading screen ..

I expect it to be similar to how it is now with BC... you forget they exist comparitively

Sucks that I finished pretty much everything I can up to this point before this dropped. However, as pvp player anyway.... 120hz is going to be absolutely fucking glorious

Last edited:
It is live right now, I'm re-downloading the game
live now?? i thought this was the timing (I'm in central US time zone btw)

• December 8, 8 AM PST (1600 UTC): Players are removed from activities in Destiny 1 and 2 and won't be able to log back in until 9 AM PST when Update 3.0.1 is available.
  • December 8, 9 AM PST (1700 UTC): Destiny 2 Update 3.0.1 is rolled out across all platforms and regions. Players can log back into Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 at this time. Ongoing maintenance is expected to conclude at 10 AM PST.
  • December 8 10 AM PST (1800 UTC): Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 maintenance is expected to conclude.

Trogdor1123

I just checked on PS5 and I clicked on the "check for update" option and nothing. Don't think pre-load is live.

EDIT: Preload(must download the full game again) is supposed to be live 45 minutes from now at 12am Eastern(or your corresponding time zone).
Doesn't it not come through a regular update on ps5? You need to redownload it don't you?

ultrazilla

Doesn't it not come through a regular update on ps5? You need to redownload it don't you?

No. No partial update for Xbox Series X or PS5. You MUST re-download the entire specific Series X/PS5 version of the game to take advantage of the new features. P.S. logging
in now to PS5 to check, it should be live in like 2 minutes. Let's keep each other informed and help others with any problems, cheers Guardians!

Last edited:
Top Bottom