• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

dmix90

Is it possible for the devs to simply make a controller/AA playlist for Crucible?

I don't mind Aim Assist on PvE content, but having an advantage during competitive multiplayer is unacceptable IMO.

The main argument for Aim Assist on PvP seems to be "Destiny isn't about competitive multiplayer" but shit like Iron Banner says otherwise. Pit all the aim assist users in their own playlist, problem solved.
Yes i think it's possible. This game does not even use dedicated servers.

All they need is to check which input method is used during matchmaking and make a toggle or checkbox in menu "Matchmake only with gamepad players YES/NO" or few different icons in Director for competitive gamepad-only crucible modes. They already doing this check to switch button prompts to match input device or recoil model. If it swaps from gamepad to M/KB during match just kick player from game/not allow to move until switched back. There will be m/kb cheaters just like on consoles, but i think this is not a big issue.

Arkanius

Finally got around to test the game:

- Visually this game is a stunner
- The shooting is satisfying even if a bit bulletspongy
- Feels like Halo with a different coat of paint
- I still can't quite grasp what all the abilities do. Seems no player does, guess its normal since its the first time Destiny 2 comes to PC
- The PvP felt like ass
- If I get the game, it would be for PvE only

Now my fears:

- Everything I read about makes the game feel like EXTREMELY LOW on content. The strike on the Beta felt like an old SvenCoop level... I don't know if I can play a map like that on ad eternum
- The campaign didn't feel very fun.
- The classes felt all samey-
- I don't want to be skinned alive in DLCs and expansions that are short on content (again) and are 20€ each

I don't know what to feel. It feels like a super pretty and satisfying, but feels like a Devils Bargain

Aomber

Yes i think it's possible. This game does not even use dedicated servers.

All they need is to check which input method is used during matchmaking and make a toggle or checkbox in menu "Matchmake only with gamepad players YES/NO" or few different icons in Director for competitive gamepad-only crucible modes. They already doing this check to switch button prompts to match input device or recoil model. If it swaps from gamepad to M/KB during match just kick player from game/not allow to move until switched back. There will be m/kb cheaters just like on consoles, but i think this is not a big issue.

You might have missed my post, but I'm gonna quote myself again. This wouldn't work, cheaters using "gamepads" who are actually using kb/m would just join the gamepad matchmaking and wreck the people not using it. It's not the same at a higher framerate compared to consoles, there's a humongous difference using a kb/m at 30 fps and 144 fps.

That's an optimistic thought, the problem is there's a lot of legitimate controller software that people would use to use controllers outside of the standard Xbox Controller, and that's assuming that cheaters wouldn't have other ways to bypass such detection. That being said, pools won't solve that problem.

Either way it's none of my concern, at this rate AA will get removed because exploits are already being widely shared. If you want competitive controller PvP buy a console, that's been true for decades.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

- I still can't quite grasp what all the abilities do. Seems no player does, guess its normal since its the first time Destiny 2 comes to PC
- The PvP felt like ass

Now my fears:

- Everything I read about makes the game feel like EXTREMELY LOW on content. The strike on the Beta felt like an old SvenCoop level... I don't know if I can play a map like that on ad eternum
- I don't want to be skinned alive in DLCs and expansions that are short on content (again) and are 20€ each

I don't know what to feel. It feels like a super pretty and satisfying, but feels like a Devils Bargain
by the time the pc version comes out you’ll have most of those uncertainties in your con pile answered.

played the beta a couple of hours, i still have to play the PVP part, but so far i enjoyed it, but honestly i was expecting a little more in the gameplay department, movement seems i little slow but my last FPS was titanfall 2 so that was expected i guess, enemies feel a little bulletspongy, shooting was good. And the port seems to be pretty good overall, runs well and has a FOV slider
I guess this one goes in the wait and see line, too much games to play and too little time right now

dmix90

You might have missed my post, but I'm gonna quote myself again. This wouldn't work, cheaters using "gamepads" who are actually using kb/m would just join the gamepad matchmaking and wreck the people not using it. It's not the same at a higher framerate compared to consoles.
We are going in circles :)

Already posted my thoughts about that on previous page. Even this separate pools kind of solution is not that good. It should be considered as last resort to this whole mess. I am fine with the way things work right now. Maybe a few tweaks to aa if issues( don't even know if they really are issues yet ) are framerate related that's it.

Aomber

We are going in circles :)

Already posted my thoughts about that on previous page. Even this separate pools kind of solution is not that good. It should be considered as last resort to this whole mess. I am fine with the way things work right now. Maybe a few tweaks to aa if they are framerate related that's it.

I did, I'm saying you're not understanding that it's not the same as kb/m abusers on console. It's not a matter of adjusting the AA it shouldn't be there at all, and I'm guessing you don't own a 144hz monitor but the framerate topic is an age old discussion as well, saying there will only be a couple abusers is a random guess.

TitusTroy

generic is a good way to describe this game but I call it casual...this is for casual gamers who don't need or want a lot of depth in their gameplay (choosing a few skills does not make this a RPG)...I hope the retail release will have way more PvE versus PvP...I played a few of those PvP Crucible matches and got bored quick...even though the Strike co-op PvE is also repetitive I enjoy replaying it...I also like the map designs and look of the characters...the overall presentation of this game is drawing me in more then the actual gameplay...reminds me a bit of Titanfall

Compared to the beta on PS4, the PC beta is blowing me away! So smooth. PC is definitely the go to version. Having a blast playing through the strike and trying different weapons.

Also has anyone here just explored at the start of the strike in the outdoor area and found that Storm Minotaur? I've killed it a few times and its dropped a crate and even had a message "A high value target has dropped its cargo" or something like that. Hasn't given me anything yet though so I guess that is for a patrol event. The area behind where you spawn where the fallen and cabal fight I've even had a few Dregs spawn in on Pikes. I was able to snipe one out and take his Pike and cruise around a bit blasting enemies until my team got to the boss and it teleported me to them. :/ There are a few jump lifts that move you around that upper area near spawn with yellow bar hobgoblins that drop heavy ammo. Once you kill a few of them the Storm Minotaur spawns, its also spawned just randomly on different paths. A few times once I've killed it, it made the hobgoblins despawn and the jump lifts disappear.

ABt5tsJ.jpg

Cozy fireplace in the farm

No open text chat in these zones is pretty lame.

Team chat is in the works, just not there for beta

Just gave the Farm a tour. Its beautiful just like the rest of this game. Not a ton to do there right now but it was worth the brief visit just to check it out.

There was a huge soccer game of like 10 players going on when I got there lol. Seemed they were taking it pretty seriously

Xyber

Well now I understand why I see so many people only running around with hand cannons and just wrecking people at times.

Even if I did run up against a bunch of people doing that tonight, I still didn't lose a single game in like 3 hours and only 2 or so were even a close call. My buddy and I are just wrecking people, winning most games with like 100-30. Managed to get 20.0 in efficiency one game as well. :p

So far I have enjoyed the PvP way more than the very meh strike and campaign mission in the beta. I'm currently considering buying it just for the PvP if they get that aim-assist sorted out.

Mooreberg

What are the other MP modes going to be in the final game? I liked control/domination in the first game, but either the 4v4 limit or mysterious influx of players from another shooter who never do anything is making it dull here.

Jolkien

Anyway to remove that scrolling with the mousewheel switch weapon ? I made my melee on mousewheel click but sometime in the heat of the action I move the mousewheel a bit and I switch weapon.

after playing through the opening mission 3 times (once per class), running the Strike, and visiting the Farm on PC now I think I'm just gonna have to pass on getting the PS4 version and just wait for PC

I know there's a month & a half wait and PS4 gets exclusive content for a while but it just plays so much better/feels better on PC

jett

D-Member
"Relax Guardian, you're scaring them! They'll never want to match with you again."

lol

I kinda missed Crucible. As a Year One player, this is still pretty fun, although I don't really agree with the changes they've made. Capturing a base quicker with more players was neat.

I definitely don't like the changes to Nova Bomb. Just feels weird, nothing like in Destiny 1. And most importantly, not being able to use fusion rifles as my secondary. That's just the worst.

Oscar

What are the other MP modes going to be in the final game? I liked control/domination in the first game, but either the 4v4 limit or mysterious influx of players from another shooter who never do anything is making it dull here.

Off the dome, assuming they're bringing these from D1:

- Team deathmatch
- Rift (Kind of like a reverse neutral flag CTF).
- 3v3, 2v2
- Round based elimination TDM.

I'm pretty sure I left some out.

Moaradin

Strike was pretty good. A lot better than any of the ones I remember in the first game. Boss also was a lot more interesting and wasn't just a bullet sponge.

Hopefully all of the Strikes are of this quality.

Wanderer5

Heh, got a friend interested, but don't know if I be getting this, least day 1. I'll just wait and see (partly to see how PvE turns out), but I been having fun. I probably give Hunter a round or two in Strike tomorrow to call it.

The farm was a nice looking place.

I could only get correct colors on RGB Full. HDR seems to mess up everything. I was playing the game in green and purple and was wondering if that's how it was supposed to look. Nope.

- The PvP felt like ass

Now my fears:

I know your pain. By the end of destiny one, I couldn't even stomach a strike because I had done most of them near a hundred times. I hope they can keep things more varied in full release.

Top Bottom