• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

rocK`

Banned
Theres no point in arguing. I have enough experience on m/kb to know that the aim assist on controllers right now is too much. You could be the best player and have perfect aim, but the game is more than 1 v 1s.. it may not happen every match, but it does happen. There will also be people who abuse the aim assist to use it on a mouse/kb just to win which is the greater issue. I linked a clip earlier and I'l link it again..

https://clips.twitch.tv/HedonisticPlainBeeDancingBaby

Hopefully bungie lowers the aim assist or does something to address the issue.

It is quite ridiculous how blind people are arguing. You show them definitive evidence, they retort with a petty 'oh you're just being salty'.

At least back it up with some meaningful evidence showing that aim assist isn't broken atm.

Kibe

Neo Member
How is this not a bigger deal, by the way?

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/11929

People are getting banned for absolutely no reason and Bungie doesn't offer a dispute because:

"Permanent account bans are only implemented with rigorous checking to ensure that the innocent are not punished alongside the guilty. Bungie does not comment on or discuss individual account restriction or bans."

Are we waiting for a streamer or youtuber to get banned so this changes?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It is quite ridiculous how blind people are arguing. You show them definitive evidence, they retort with a petty 'oh you're just being salty'.

At least back it up with some meaningful evidence showing that aim assist isn't broken atm.

At 120fps, it seems too heavy based on those vids for sure: I concur.

At 60fps (which is what I play at) it seems perfect and just like the console versions.

The previous suggestion to adjust AA to the FPS (if that's possible) is a great idea: then it's win/win. Taking AA off for any form of the game though, that's not an option, as it essentially blocks off certain parts of the game for those that are going to play with controller (which I bet, will be more than you'd think, especially for a previously exclusive console heavy hitter like Destiny).

ViciousDS

Banned
Theres no point in arguing. I have enough experience on m/kb to know that the aim assist on controllers right now is too much. You could be the best player and have perfect aim, but the game is more than 1 v 1s.. it may not happen every match, but it does happen. There will also be people who abuse the aim assist to use it on a mouse/kb just to win which is the greater issue. I linked a clip earlier and I'l link it again..

holy shit

Zeneric

Wow, that's too much. Now I see.

Ivan

I don't know how to explain it, but I don't like how Destiny feels on mouse and keyboard. Suddenly everything feels ordinary, like many other FPSes. It looses that signature Bungie feel on m/k IMO.

ViciousDS

Banned
Now you know what we're talking about. I don't know of anyone that can watch that in good faith and say "that's fine".

I knew the AA was much.....but that looked like a GTA style head lock.....that was insane, so I'm guessing the trick is to quick scope every shot basically?

Then with higher FPS the problem becomes more insane.

It seems like the AA was designed for 30FPS in mind and the reason we all think its that much more insane is because of the fact the average PC player will be pulling 60fps....meaning double the normal AA you add in folks with 144hz displays and we got auto aim basically at that point.

Sounds like they need a variable AA solution otherwise folks with 144hz get a massive advantage with a controller.

dmix90

holy shit
There is a framerate counter though and it says 60. So that's still fine if it's true to console versions. Maybe if AA snappines is really framerate depended then they should reduce AA value to match console 30 fps and make it dynamic from there. Your framerate is almost always fluctuates on PC but it still should be possible to adjust i dunno every 10 fps segments? All engines can track current framerate behind the scenes and some even try to predict it( i think... might be bullshit )

I don't know how to explain it, but I don't like how Destiny feels on mouse and keyboard. Suddenly everything feels ordinary, like many other FPSes. It looses that signature Bungie feel on m/k IMO.
Yup. That's why controller should still feel the same as on console.

Won

Decided to give this a shot. Surprised how well it runs and how good it looks considering my machine at this point begs to be put out its misery.

Almost feel bad that the rest of the game doesn't do much for me. Nothing compelling here, but good effort on the port by Bungie.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That vid didn't even look that bad lol...there are worse Hand Cannon ones out there.

I'm still thinking it's a Hand Cannon issue: I pretty much only use ARs and Nergal Pulse and I don't get auto headies like...ever?

Yup. That's why controller should still feel the same as on console.

This guy gets it: with you 100% on that front hombre.

kevin1025

Banned
Figure I'd ask here, since I'm not sure where else to ask:

Is there any way to purchase the expansions other than with the base game yet? Or is that going to be added as a separate thing later on?

I was having a lot of fun with the strike until we reached the boss and I started remember some of the reasons why I quit Destiny 1 in the first place. A person left after the first time we died on the boss. Okay, cool, is the game finding someone else to join me? No idea, it doesn't tell me. A person suddenly joins and then we try to fight the boss. We all died and both of them leave.

Then it's just me standing there before the part where you jump down to the boss for a couple minutes, not knowing if someone else was joining the session and without any option to manually say, "hey match me with someone else." I finally just decided to quit and had to start all over again.

To be fair, they do force teammates to teleport to you before you fight the boss but the fact that some stuff is still like this is why I'm definitely waiting before I buy this game. I really hope that it's still like this because it's a bare bones beta but I'm not really prepared to give Bungie any preorder money before I find out.

kevin1025

Banned
But... But all that phat digital lootz for pre-ordering the mega shit!!!
70f78870e958aab1d0827743c3ae3ab4.jpg

Jarate

Banned
M+KB still is a better option then a controller with aim assist. I don't see it being that big of a deal.

It makes me more likely to buy the PC version as well, as I generally like to play these type of looty games on my couch on my tv. I know that most people just use M+KB on PC, but there is a sizeable portion of PC players who like to play with a controller.

FinKL

I'm attributing it to vibration, the way guns kick and "auto aim" which all M/KB have adjusted.

Tecnniqe

Banned
DIRECT RELIEF FOR HOUSTON

Through the Bungie Foundation, we are partnering with Direct Relief. You may remember them from our collaboration to come to the aid of Nepal. Their mission in Houston has already begun. They are focusing on helping the most vulnerable, extending the reach of relief efforts, and bolstering critical frontline responders.

You can read more about their much-needed work, learn how you can help, or donate to them directly at their official website: https://www.directrelief.org/emergency/hurricane-harvey-response/

To invoke the power of our community, we're offering a commemorative pin through the Bungie Store ($14.99 USD). Your purchase of this item will include an emblem for use in Destiny 2. All profits from your purchase will go straight to Direct Relief in support of the Hurricane Harvey response efforts.

harveyrelief_emblem.jpg

------------------------
Figured I should give it a go here instead of a new thread for those who consider picking the game up and want to help with the current situation!

Swarna

M+KB still is a better option then a controller with aim assist. I don't see it being that big of a deal.

It makes me more likely to buy the PC version as well, as I generally like to play these type of looty games on my couch on my tv. I know that most people just use M+KB on PC, but there is a sizeable portion of PC players who like to play with a controller.

This is true in general and especially for top-tier PC players, but specifics matter. If a literal aim-bot is aim assist dialed up to 100%, would dialing down to 90% suddenly become a worse/equal option to raw input? Obviously, Destiny isn't this ludicrous, but how exactly do you measure what is fair and what isn't? How about factoring in the aim of your everyday casual PC gamer (the majority of the playerbase for this version)? Because they cannot pull off these flicks in a consistent manner with this level of ease:
I don't think anyone cares about AA in PVE but lots of people think its presence in PVP is a slippery slope.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I see people time and again failing to read the issue with Aim Assist on PC.

It's not about KB/M vs Controller
Or being mad about a Controller user killing you

It's about the fact that you can fool every game to think you use a controller, thus enabling AA when you in fact use a KB/M.
That way you get both the AA and the agility and precision of the KB/M setup.

This alone cause a imbalance between Controllers, the ones who exploit this and those who just user a regular KB/M setup with no AA exploitation.

It's not fun for anyone, it ruins the competitiveness of the game and makes it so either you exploit like the rest or get crushed or put at a heavy disadvantage in it's current state.

The way I see it you have 3 ways to "fix" this:

Axe it completely.

Allow AA only in PvE.

Leave it as it is.

bonus 4th is allowing it for unranked and removing it from competitive matches

Tuning down AA wont do anything either, the small advantage gain is still a gain too much.

Edit: Shit wrong thread but I'll leave it here too

Ramirez

Just turn off AA for the new Trials of Osiris, the other stuff, even competitive will have no ranks/exclusive gear. Problem solved.

dmix90

Just turn off AA for the new Trials of Osiris, the other stuff, even competitive will have no ranks/exclusive gear. Problem solved.
That's still a shitty compromise. Controller users are doomed by default in one of the best online modes. Not good.

Ramirez

That's still a shitty compromise. Controller users are doomed by default in one of the best online modes. Not good.

Well, I can't see them allowing people to implement AA into their M/KB for the actual competitive playlist. I also don't think it's possible for them to detect when people are doing this, so I don't really see any other compromise.

Tecnniqe

Banned
See, while PC might have the best version there also exist 2 platforms with controller support and AA, and while I don't mind PvE AA any sort of PvP AA is ripe for abuse and you can't do anything about that so what you really come down to is that you have a controller with AA, PC users with built in aimbots of sorts and PC users with no assist.

Who do you think it will be fun for?

dmix90

See, while PC might have the best version there also exist 2 platforms with controller support and AA, and while I don't mind PvE AA any sort of PvP AA is ripe for abuse and you can't do anything about that so what you really come down to is that you have a controller with AA, PC users with built in aimbots of sorts and PC users with no assist.

Who do you think it will be fun for?
If it's really not possible to detect cheating m/kb scum or there is no way to tweak AA properly for high framerates if that's the issue...fine leave me in a separate pool with gamepad only users and m/kb losers who had a bad day and felt like cheating.

I don't care if this competitive PVP gamepad-only pool will only have 100 other players compared to thousands in m/kb pool.

Filben

Hm, strange balancing with the melee attack, it's high damage and long cooldown time. I don't like that because it feels random, the moment you're in cooldown and the enemy's not. I'd prefer no cooldown but way lower damage.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If it's really not possible to detect cheating m/kb scum or there is no way to tweak AA properly for high framerates if that's the issue...fine leave me in a separate pool with gamepad only users and m/kb losers who had a bad day and felt like cheating.

I don't care if this competitive PVP gamepad-only pool will only have 100 other players compared to thousands in m/kb pool.
Thing is the game think the exploiters got a controller so you will versus them now and pool them with pad users.

dmix90

Thing is the game think the exploiters got a controller so you will versus them now and pool them with pad users.
That's fine. Some scum might enjoy to play in this pool occasionally. I don't care and i don't think it will be that much beneficial to them or there will be so many of them. It will be basically like it's right now on consoles with XIM users there.

Ramirez

Hm, strange balancing with the melee attack, it's high damage and long cooldown time. I don't like that because it feels random, the moment you're in cooldown and the enemy's not. I'd prefer no cooldown but way lower damage.

Hmm? You can still melee even if your ability is on CD? It's 3 for a fully shielded opponent, 2 if they're weak. Shoulder Charge on Titan will kill if the player is around 30% shields I believe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The melee is not really on "CD", but the "special buffed melee" ability is.

It's kind of annoying that you can't choose when to use the special or the normal but that's a minor thing.

Oscar

Is it possible for the devs to simply make a controller/AA playlist for Crucible?

I don't mind Aim Assist on PvE content, but having an advantage during competitive multiplayer is unacceptable IMO.

The main argument for Aim Assist on PvP seems to be "Destiny isn't about competitive multiplayer" but shit like Iron Banner says otherwise. Pit all the aim assist users in their own playlist, problem solved.

-MD-

I never played the first Destiny but I just tried a strike mission and a pvp match, first impression is it feels stiff/slow as hell, even as the "agile" class.

I'll try some more later but really it just came across as Halo/Borderlands, lots of bullet spongy enemies, lots of reloading.

Top Bottom