• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Narrative Designer Confirms Osiris and Saint-14 Are Gay (ThePleasure, GET ITT!!!™)

Since the launch of the PS5 and Xbox Series X / S, there seems to be a good deal of noise online surrounding Destiny 2, with players both old and new alike jumping into the game and exploring Europa, Beyond Light’s new snow-covered planet. With an already incredibly active community, Forbes has been keeping eyes on conversations going on surrounding the game, and one of those surrounds the sexuality of 2 legendary Guardians.

Those familiar with the game’s lore would likely know of the relationship between two legendary Guardians, one being Osiris, and the other being Saint-14. Osiris traveled to Mercury whilst on a mission to disrupt the Vex’s plans for the entire universe, but Saint-14 chased after him to stop him from disturbing them. This led to Saint’s death, but he was brought back after Osiris utilized time-travel.

It’s noted that in the current season of Destiny 2, Osiris has been finding notes from Saint-14 hidden around his ship, with one referring to Osiris as “my fiery phoenix.” There’s also some dialogue from a character called Drifter who touches on the two as being together. The community has been debating whether the two are “bros or boyfriends”, as Forbes describes, to the point that Bungie has stepped in to confirm.

Bungie’s Narrative Designer Robert Brookes took to Twitter with a thread to elaborate on the relationship, touching on his own personal journey in the process. “Representation matters. Whether its sexual orientation, race, culture. It helps you identify with yourself, understand yourself, and feel seen.” he explains

562951_1.webp

karasu

jfc this shit is so retarded. How about representing some decent fucking storytelling and not a bunch of socially progressive bullet points. Try that maybe?
People are more important than stories. Stories are meant to inform us, build us up, teach us, entertain, etc. It's been like that since the beginning of time. If you can give people a type of armor that only exists because they're strengthened by the story you've told them then you're doing it right. If you haven't understood that by now then that is the reason for your discomfort. Idiocy. Read more.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Representation in Destiny matters so much, nobody seems to even care about these characters or the story in the first place, preferring levelling up their newest, awesome gun.

I would suggest moving over to Netflix, where you can write agendas instead of entertainment more freely.

Catphish

People are more important than stories. Stories are meant to inform us, build us up, teach us, entertain, etc. It's been like that since the beginning of time. If you can give people a type of armor that only exists because they're strengthened by the story you've told them then you're doing it right. If you haven't understood that by now then that is the reason for your discomfort. Idiocy. Read more.
Well, I may be an idiot, or I may just not be fluent in whatever anal discharge you just posted.

Aion002

The only characters that are interesting on Destiny 2 are Cayde, Petra and Sagira... Everybody else is trash.

Rather than working on characters relationships... They should try at least make them interesting.

I am still angry that other than Petra, no one else helped avenging Cayde.... Also, Osiris is an idiot.

showernota

Not since learning who Dumbledore enjoys banging have I been so content knowing the sexuality of something that doesn’t exist.

Dthomp

Beyond dumb, and completely meaningless since it serves NO FUCKING PURPOSE in a looter shooter game where you interact with either of these characters for less then an hour of screen time between the two of them in the HISTORY of Destiny. These writers need to get over themselves with wanting to force their shit into holes that weren't designed for it

-Arcadia-

Banned

Entertainment is mostly entertainment, but sometimes that can be the case. Stories have been used to lift up and pass on the ideals of family, sacrifice, heroism, etc., to children for thousands of years.

You on the other hand, want to pass on... anal sex, mostly to other adults, in a Bungie looter shooter?

Perhaps that's where the disconnect occurs.

Who knew fictional gay characters could love shooting things in the face so much? At least we still have Shaxx and Mara Sov getting smash happy.

You learn something new every day.

I get what you're saying; the problem is that representation is wasted if it's just meaningless props in a meaningless story.

Compelling storytelling that involves marginalized people (TLoU, Hellblade, etc.), will do well. And has a place.

This is just kind of like JK Rowling announcing a random character in Harry Potter is LGBTQ like a decade after the last book... but it wasn't even a good story like HP... it's fucking Destiny 2.

Just like how Dumbledore is suddenly gay, it feels tacked on.

lmao I swear I didn't see this before my post

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I played both Destiny campaigns and couldn’t tell you who a single character is or describe a single plot point

I played Destiny 2 and its first expansion, and it's all so forgettable. What is coherent and actually follows is merely boring and/or stupid. The writers of that game have the easiest job in the world. They can write whatever they want because everyone stopped bothering to pay attention about a week into Destiny 1.

GamingKaiju

Phew! Thank god! Glad that got cleared up now if only Bungie could make D2GA I might play it again.

ya know what I cba with downloading so many gigs of data to play that trash again so I’m good.

Iorv3th

So Osiris really set up his go back in time shit just to save Saint 14 so he could fuck him?

Them being gay doesn't matter, but it makes the story kind of look shittier for the fact.

Last edited:
Why does everyone have to announce their sexuality these days. I don't care. What rational person walks around yelling at the clouds....hey look at me, a hetero man, I like women. No one gives a fuck who I like. Like what you like but shut the fuck up about it already. Make great games and characters, whomever that may be.

For once I find myself wishing they didn't have time to explain.

Philfrag

Banned
I remember a few years back I was addicted to Destiny 2. The shooting felt great, it looked and ran really well. But the first time I heard even a little bit of dialogue I turned that shit down to 0. Write good characters before you give them a sexual orientation. You can’t just point at a 3D model and call it gay.

sainraja

I played Destiny 2 and its first expansion, and it's all so forgettable. What is coherent and actually follows is merely boring and/or stupid. The writers of that game have the easiest job in the world. They can write whatever they want because everyone stopped bothering to pay attention about a week into Destiny 1.

That is soo true. I've no clue what is going on!

Neolombax

I dunno, I kinda got this vibe ever since Season of Dawn? You have a Warlock hellbent on searching millions of realities to go find a supposedly dead Titan friend, must be an extremely good friend.

Top Bottom