• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 is moving from Battle.net to Steam on September 17

Helios

Announcing Destiny 2 on Steam
On September 17, 2019, Destiny 2 on PC will be moving to Steam. To get ready for that move, we will be enabling you to move your current characters, gear, and progress from Blizzard’s Battle.net to Steam. We’ll have more news about how this will work later this summer.
For now, you can sign up for email updates so we can let you know when it’s time to take your next steps.
*Further details for Korea will be announced in the future via Bungie.net

F.A.Q.
More information coming soon!
Click above to sign up for updates.
Q: Which Destiny 2 purchases and entitlements transfer over from Battle.net to Steam?
A: The PC migration from Battle.net to Steam will include a one-time transfer of ALL ownership rights that a player already owns (Expansions, Silver, Account, Seasons, etc.).

Q: Can players pre-order Shadowkeep on Steam right now, and migrate their Battle.net account later?
A: Yes. Players may purchase Destiny 2: Shadowkeep from Steam’s product page now, and migrate their account at a later date.

ultrazilla

Announcing Destiny 2 on Steam
On September 17, 2019, Destiny 2 on PC will be moving to Steam. To get ready for that move, we will be enabling you to move your current characters, gear, and progress from Blizzard’s Battle.net to Steam. We’ll have more news about how this will work later this summer.
For now, you can sign up for email updates so we can let you know when it’s time to take your next steps.
*Further details for Korea will be announced in the future via Bungie.net

F.A.Q.
More information coming soon!
Click above to sign up for updates.
Q: Which Destiny 2 purchases and entitlements transfer over from Battle.net to Steam?
A: The PC migration from Battle.net to Steam will include a one-time transfer of ALL ownership rights that a player already owns (Expansions, Silver, Account, Seasons, etc.).

Q: Can players pre-order Shadowkeep on Steam right now, and migrate their Battle.net account later?
A: Yes. Players may purchase Destiny 2: Shadowkeep from Steam’s product page now, and migrate their account at a later date.

Thanks. I was wondering about this. I have the base Destiny 2 game on Battlenet but haven't bought anything further because of Bungie pulling it from that service and adding it to Steam. I'll simply wait to purchase Shadowkeep and anything else via Steam.

For those of you who play Destiny 2 on PS4/Xbox One, the jump from 30fps on consoles to 60fps and more on PCs is incredible. Night and day difference. The PC version is the definitive Destiny 2 experience.

Looking forward to jumping back into the PC Destiny 2 player pool via Steam in September! :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Whoops. Deleted and added to above post. If a mod can kindly just delete this post. Thank you!

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
So, um, you wouldn't be able to play it from b.net anymore?

If you have it on b.net and don't want to install steam you are screwed?

wipeout364

Surprised at this, sounds like they are deactivating it on Battle.net. I would have thought they would exist simultaneously at least until Destiny 3. After all their talk I guess Blizzard wasn’t that excited in the end about having them on their platform.

I still am trying to figure out what went down with all this. I just don’t see what Activision gained by letting them go so easily, it would be fascinating to have some back room insight into what all went down, because from the outside it makes no sense at all. Maybe the Bungie guys got some pictures of Bobby Kotick cheating on his wife or beating up some old lady over a quarter on the sidewalk.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
kinda crap they are taking it from Battle.net (at least sounds like it).

still i'm happy it's coming to Steam. it's what the game needs. i'm gonna jump back in once it moves over.

waylo

Banned
Well, for one the Epic store sucks and is a half-assed attempt at a store front. Steam on the other hand has been involved in the PC space for 15+ years. Steam is also fully fleshed out and offers the end-user tons of features. The Epic store doesn't even have a cart.

Trying to pretend the two are even in the same category is absurd.

Mista

Banned
That’s good and since they’re no longer under Activistion then it makes sense. People get to transfer everything so no problem at all

Last edited:

Garnox

It should be. People should be pissed about it.

Let me put it in a different light: Destiny 2 is removed from B.net and goes Epic Games Store exclusive. Don't you think people would be up in arms?

Double standard, again.

Difference here is that Bungie and Activision (who owns Blizzard/Battle.net) split and parted ways, so Bungie/Destiny 2 needed to having a landing spot, and I feel Steam is the least controversial.

Fuz

Banned
Difference here is that Bungie and Activision (who owns Blizzard/Battle.net) split and parted ways, so Bungie/Destiny 2 needed to having a landing spot, and I feel Steam is the least controversial.
You don't get the point, do you? They're forcing people to install a new launcher, which is not the same where they bought the game.
And people are ok with this ONLY because it's steam and they're fanboys. It would have been EGS, they would have been up in arms.

Soltype

You don't get the point, do you? They're forcing people to install a new launcher, which is not the same where they bought the game.
And people are ok with this ONLY because it's steam and they're fanboys. It would have been EGS, they would have been up in arms.
In the real world accounts are passed between companies all the time, people are only upset when their QoL is affected. Most people don't mind change if it's for the better.Epic is a worse launcher compared to steam, that's why people are upset.

PhoenixTank

I'm quite surprised by this. Last I knew D2 was going to live side by side on both Bnet and Steam. The wording doesn't entirely rule that out, but does seem a change in direction.
Searching again... perhaps this was me/news outlets getting wires crossed on cross saves & moving between Xbox/PS4/PC.

Stuart360

Because the Epic store sucks, and Epic are scumbags. Plus if Bungie had chose Epic over Steam, it would of confirmed Epic had moneyhatted yet another game, something Steam dont do.
Plus the playerbase will jump by 10 times as soon as it launches on Steam.

Last edited:

This is a valid point but honestly what would the solution be? I don't have enough details perhaps the BNET launcher is not an option when new content comes out and if that is the case then what would you suggest Bungie do? If they make their own launcher you need to download another launcher. If they allowed the game to on all the launchers avaiilable now you still have to download a different launcher and now you have fragmented communities that lowest quality launcher dictates the level of options the game has on other launchers.

Hudo

Man, it would've been cool if Destiny 2 moved to GoG instead... Steam and the EGS are both crap.

• Love
Reactions: Fuz

Garnox

On the contrary. I think my point was missed.

Typically, EGS has this reputation now, when EGS gets exclusives to their launcher, it’s usually a new release and there was a monetary incentive given to said new release or in rare cases, transferring from previous launchers such as the Shenmue III debacle.

In this instance, since Activision and Bungie parted ways, Activision didn’t want them any more so Bungie was forced to relocate and as a result, forced to get a new launcher.

At that point, a new launcher would need to be installed, so Bungie was given a option of where to take their business and they could’ve gone either way with EGS or Steam.

If they would’ve gone with either route, I feel nobody has a right to complain, because Bungie wasn’t given a monetary incentive to come to EGS or Steam, they JUST got out of that ordeal with Activision. I think Bungie just decided to go with Steam.

I get what you’re saying Fuz, I just don’t think it applies to THIS specific situation (any other time, I feel you’re right) because it’s slightly different and honestly if they went to EGS OR Steam, there shouldn’t be complaining because people on Battle.net were gonna have to download a new client regardless because Activision gave them boot. Therefore it wouldn’t make a difference if it was EGS or Steam, right?

I don’t have a horse in this race because I’ve been a day one D2 player on XBOX One.

For those on PC, having to download a new launcher is a necessary “evil” and for those having to do so, wouldn’t really care if it’s EGS or Steam at this point.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Exhibition A: yet another proof of why gamers suck and why gaming is in such a sorry state.

Kadayi

Banned
It's a fair point but the argument could be that they are moving to a platform with more features instead of less

I think at this juncture we all know Fuz hates Steam with a a passion. He only enters the GAF Giveaway Competitions to stop other gaffers from having to use it because it is the work of the devil (and maybe the Fabians as well). 🤔

Anyway back on topic given Bungie have departed Activision they had to go somewhere so Steam is as good as anywhere at a guess.

manfestival

I find this stupid to have to reinstall the game. I just hate massive installs and this will be THAT. It is basically an inconvenience at most.

ookami

Except steam is a way better thing than EGS, so let's not pretend otherwise.
Well... Steam had most of the issues encountered on the EGS. And let's be frank if you look at their road map Epic aim to have the same functionalities.
For me, the only issue is the strategy used by Epic to create aggressively exclusivities on the PC platform. But hey, it is also the responsibility of the development studio.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this game man running maxed out on 3440 1440 looking super smooth .. + gsync.

on a freaking gtx 1060 this shit is hilarious
best optimized pc game i ever played

Last edited:
Activision kicking Destiny 2 off Battle.net is funny in hindsight. It was always strange to see all these Blizzard games and then suddenly out of nowhere Destiny 2. Especially since Call of Duty has remained on Steam throughout the Destiny 2 life cycle, Activision didn't even want to force Call of Duty onto Battle.net so what the hell was Destiny 2 even doing there to begin with?

Honestly, who didn't see this coming? Once Bungie dumped Acitivison it was only a matter of time before Destiny 2 was removed from bnet.

Iorv3th

Exhibition A: yet another proof of why gamers suck and why gaming is in such a sorry state.

No it's not. You might be the only person on the planet that has Battle.net installed on your PC and doesn't have Steam installed. This is a completely different situation from a game getting pulled from steam and going to EGS for money.

Battle.net is exclusive to Blizzard and Activision games and no other game has ever been on the service. So them removing a game they are no longer affiliated with is very different from these other situations you keep trying to make it seem similar too.

Let's also recognize that if you are really bitching about installing another launcher other than battle.net you probably don't play Destiny anyway. If the only launcher you have is battle.net you aren't playing non blizzard games on your PC.

Last edited:

Hudo

you sound like that typical linux fan
While I do use Linux (and Windows) at work, I am not a Linux fan at all, haha. I like my BSDs more (but they are not as suited for the research that we're doing).

But I still think that digital-only distribution is something that I don't want to be part of. In fact, I haven't bought some games that were interesting to me but were only available in digital-only form. GoG is a bit of an exception to that because GoG fucks off after you have bought the game. Steam and EGS don't fuck off, they bother me with how coupled to the games they are and I just don't like that. And the games that I have bought physically and require to be activated on Steam, I have cracked so I don't have to bother with Steam at all.

Kadayi

Banned
I do, as do tons of other people.

(Gotta love ignorant people.)

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Pejo

Weren't they giving the base game away for free on battle.net a bit ago? So technically this means you could get that transferred over to Steam as long as you've logged in once?

I played a ton of this game on PS4 until their business and game decisions drove me away, but I might as well get what I can on Steam for free.

Arkage

Banned
Do you really believe this will be a common problem?

Considering the total outrage it was for Shenmue 3 to switch from Steam to Epic, there should rationally be an equally screaming to the heavens for this move.

But I'm sure there won't be, because Bnet doesn't have the rabid fanbase that Steam does in the Great Client Wars.

waylo

Banned
Weren't they giving the base game away for free on battle.net a bit ago? So technically this means you could get that transferred over to Steam as long as you've logged in once?

I played a ton of this game on PS4 until their business and game decisions drove me away, but I might as well get what I can on Steam for free.
Not sure it matters. Isnt the bade game along with everything already released going free? The only thing you have to pay for is the new DLC, right?

Top Bottom