• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Cross Saves are now Live

Helios

FAQ taken from Reddit

FAQs
Do I need to take any action?
  • On PC: Yes. Since Destiny 2 will move to Steam on Oct 1st (with the release of Shadowkeep), you need to link your Battle.net & Steam account. You can do so on this page now. If you additionally wish to play on other platforms, you can enable Cross Save on this page now.
  • On Consoles: If you plan to stay on your platform, no. If you want to switch around, you can enable Cross Save on this page now.
Can I play all content on all platforms?
  • Until Oct 1st: No. Licences are platform specific. If you haven't purchased the game (and didn't get it for free as part of PS Plus / XBox Games with Gold), you can't play.
  • After Oct 1st: Destiny 2: New Lightwill be Free-to-Play on all Platforms. You can download it on any platform, link your account on Bungie.net, and have access to:
    • Patrol on all Locations (including Tangled Shore, Dreaming City & Moon)
    • The Campaign up until Forsaken (D2 Vanilla through Warmind)
    • Strikes Playlists, Crucible Playlists & Gambit (Prime)
    • Leviathan Raid, including Raid Lairs (Eater of Worlds, Spire of Stars)
    • Some select Shadowkeep content
    • NO ACCESS to the Forsaken Campaign, exotic quests, any Y2 Raid or Dungeon (Last Wish, Shattered Throne, Crown of Sorrow), Forges, Menagerie, most Shadowkeep content (including the new raid).
  • Please see also this image.
  • In the words of /u/Roketsu86:
    • Cross Save is what you have. Gear, guns, consumables, shaders, Collection. This all transfers to any platform.
    • Platform licenses are what you can do: Raids, Forges, Exotic Quests, The Menagerie. This is specific to any platforms you purchase licenses on.
I'm playing on multiple Platforms. Which Guardian will I have when enabling Cross Save?
  • When enabling Cross Save, you have to choose which platform is your current "main account", and it will take all data from there and make it available to other platforms. As detailed in the official FAQ, characters on "left behind" platforms won't be deleted - you can disable Cross Save to access them, though there is a 90 day grace period to enable it again.
Can I matchmake with players on other Platforms?
  • No, Cross Save does not equal Cross Play.
Can I play with one character on multiple platforms at the same time?
  • Most likely not, no. You can however log out on one platform (there is an option for this below "Change characters" since forever), boot up another platform and sign in there and have all data readily available.
(PC) When can I play on Steam? Where do I have to buy stuff?
  • You won't be able to play on Steam until Oct 1st. You need to buy stuff in the Battle.net store until then. Coming Oct 1st, you won't be able to continue to play Destiny on Battle.net, and HAVE to play on Steam.
Common Scenarios
I'm playing on Console and want to switch to PC
  1. If you do not own anything on PC, buy Destiny 2: Forsaken - Complete Collection on Battle.net (example in the US store). It includes everything up until now.
  2. Go to this page and link your Battle.net & Steam account. Don't worry if your just bought content doesn't show up - known issue. It WILL transfer over!
  3. Enable Cross Save on this page, choose your console account as your main account.
  4. Log in on Battle.net and play.
  5. Starting Oct 1st, you need to continue to play on Steam. If you want to enjoy Shadowkeep, make sure to buy it on Steam!
I'm playing on PC, but want to use my console account
  1. Go to this page and link your Battle.net & Steam account.
  2. Enable Cross Save on this page, choose your console account as your main account.
  3. Log in on Battle.net and play.
  4. Starting Oct 1st, you need to continue to play on Steam. If you want to enjoy Shadowkeep, make sure to buy it on Steam!
I switched to PC a while ago, and only want to import my Hunter from console while keeping the other PC characters
  • Account merging is not supported, this is not possible. You have to choose to continue either with your console or PC account.
I own the base game on PC/PS4/X1 (from the Battle.net giveaway/PS Plus/Xbox Games with Gold), and want to try it out.
  1. If PC is among the platforms you own the game on, go to this page and link your Battle.net & Steam account.
  2. Enable Cross Save on this page, choose your main account from whichever platform you want.
  3. Start playing on all platforms! Note that you may be unable to access some activities that require other purchases, see FAQ above. Way more content will be available on Oct 1st with Destiny 2: New Light.
I just want to try out other platforms, but do not own the game on other platforms.
  1. Wait until Oct 1st. With the launch of Destiny 2: New Light, some content (see list in the FAQ above) will be Free to Play everywhere. Then follow the steps above.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I wonder, will I'll be able to play Shadowkeep content without buying Forsaken Anual Pass? I just don't need this grindy ass crap, it ain't for me and I won't be buying it ever.

//DEVIL//

It said i cant transfer from Playstation to Steam. i did it, but I cant see any progress i have still on my steam profile... am i doing something wrong here ? lol

Helios

It said i cant transfer from Playstation to Steam. i did it, but I cant see any progress i have still on my steam profile... am i doing something wrong here ? lol
I may be wrong but I assume it's because the Steam version is not yet released.

VertigoOA

Banned
You can begin migrating from battle.net to steam but cannot play on steam till October 1st.

I wasn’t able to get cross save to work yesterday but others have. I read that Bungie disabled it later on as well.

I think a new influx on Xbox players tried getting in crucible last night on PS4 because I was bodying scrubs in comp easier than ever.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I may be wrong but I assume it's because the Steam version is not yet released.
Yeah i think you are right. i just transferred my PS4 save to both battle net and steam. i just checked my battle.net game and played destiny. and it worked like a charm.

between this and COD, my wife will divorce me this year lol

Tesseract

Banned
i'm still confused as fuck what i need to buy to get the full experience

i bought the game at launch with the season pass

my options right now are complete collection $39.99 (bnet)

forsaken annual pass $14.99 (bnet)

shadowkeep $34.99 (steam)

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned

if i buy the complete collection on battle.net am i good to go in 5 weeks, or what if i just buy shadowkeep or w/e on steam for 35 bucks right now?

goddamn why is this such a confusing product, i bought the game at launch with the season pass and i still don't know what i need to catch up

The complete collection that is currently available for $40 is year 1 and 2 in their entirety covering all released content up to this point.

The free-to-start New Light includes all year 1 content, all strikes, pvp and gambit.

Shadowkeep can be purchased standalone when it launches and does not require purchase of precious destiny content ... only the free to start version. So yea you can buy just Shadowkeep and experience this fall’s new content without having to play catch up.

It gets more complex... shadowkeep comes with a free seasonal dlc voucher. Season of undying ... that launches concurrent with shadowkeep is dlc content. Meaning if you buy shadowkeep later during another season you will have a voucher for that current season and not the one that launches with shadowkeep.

Everything is a la carte and standalone now

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned

so if i wanna play right now do i buy the forsaken annual pass, and that will carry over to shadowkeep for free?

wtf are bungie doing, why isn't this all contained in one product

i'm reasonably certain i already own all of year 1

*edit*

i bought this back in 2017

Destiny 2 - Base Game + Expansion Pass Bundle

$67.49

Last edited:
What did I just read? Is destiny 2 going f2p? I own the vanilla d2 but no DLC, If this means I can play in a meaningful way with my friends again without us all having to buy more stuff then great but I'm not going to spend any more on this game. However at the moment I'm just confused as to what is happening.

Tesseract

Banned
What did I just read? Is destiny 2 going f2p? I own the vanilla d2 but no DLC, If this means I can play in a meaningful way with my friends again without us all having to buy more stuff then great but I'm not going to spend any more on this game. However at the moment I'm just confused as to what is happening.

bro i've been confused how this game has been monetized since it was released

if i buy the complete collection on battle.net am i good to go in 5 weeks, or what if i just buy shadowkeep or w/e on steam for 35 bucks right now?

goddamn why is this such a confusing product, i bought the game at launch with the season pass and i still don't know what i need to catch up

Destiny 2 as with other MMOs gets yearly major expansions, scattered with smaller updates throughout the year. We are currently about to go into year 3.

If you haven't played Destiny 2 at all and would like to start - download Destiny 2: First Light. This is free and it's basically all the content from the first year of Destiny 2, including story mode. In First Light, you can also go to the destinations and play a lot of the activities introduced in year 2, but if you want to play the story content, you'll need to buy Forsaken (which will be discounted soon once Shadowkeep comes out and give you access to everything introduced in year 2 of Destiny 2). Finally, Shadowkeep is year 3, so if you want to play the brand new content that is coming out. you'll need to buy this. Bungie have said that they'll let the First Light players try out some pieces of content from Shadowkeep for free, as a taste test.

Though remember, you don't need to buy anything else if you want to play Shadowkeep. You can get it standalone and play it. Plus with D2: First Light (the free to play game), you can play almost everything that has come out in D2 thus far, bar the story in Year 2, some exotic weapons/high end activities. If you don't care too much about experiencing every single activity D2 has to offer, I would suggest just downloading and playing First Light, then going straight to Shadowkeep. And if along the way you really feel like you want to see the story of year 2 (Forsaken), you can buy it for a small price.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

i bought the game at launch with the season pass

my options right now are complete collection $39.99 (bnet)

forsaken annual pass $14.99 (bnet)

shadowkeep $34.99 (steam)

As far as what i understand. the Steam version is this :

"my options right now are complete collection $39.99 (bnet) " <-- which is year one. this is free version

Forsaken you have to buy . same goes for shadow keep. But forsaken inst available on steam to buy alone. so if you buy the shadow keep in steam you are missing the forsaken

If i am wrong then please someone explain to me ? because i do want to play the forsaken story. and its not available on steam but its available on battle.net. i want to buy it before its too late ( what kind of a fuck this is ? )

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Destiny 2 as with other MMOs gets yearly major expansions, scattered with smaller updates throughout the year. We are currently about to go into year 3.

If you haven't played Destiny 2 at all and would like to start - download Destiny 2: First Light. This is free and it's basically all the content from the first year of Destiny 2, including story mode. In First Light, you can also go to the destinations and play a lot of the activities introduced in year 2, but if you want to play the story content, you'll need to buy Forsaken (which will be discounted soon once Shadowkeep comes out and give you access to everything introduced in year 2 of Destiny 2). Finally, Shadowkeep is year 3, so if you want to play the brand new content that is coming out. you'll need to buy this.

Though remember, you don't need to buy anything else if you want to play Shadowkeep. You can get it standalone and play it. Plus with D2: First Light (the free to play game), you can play almost everything that has come out in D2 thus far, bar the story in Year 2, some exotic weapons/high end activities. If you don't care too much about experiencing every single activity D2 has to offer, I would suggest just downloading and playing First Light, then going straight to Shadowkeep. And if along the way you really feel like you want to see the story of year 2 (Forsaken), you can buy it for a small price.

i paid 70 bucks for the base game and expansion pass in 2017, i'm not gonna download whatever the free version is when i should be able to build off what i've already purchased

As far as what i understand. the Steam version is this :

"my options right now are complete collection $39.99 (bnet) " <-- which is year one. this is free version

Forsaken you have to buy . same goes for shadow keep. But forsaken isnt available on steam to buy alone. so if you buy the shadowkeep in steam you are missing the forsaken

wat :messenger_dizzy:

so all i need is the forsaken annual pass and i'll be caught up?

most confusing shit ever, i just want to buy one thing right now and catch up from where i left off

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

i paid 70 bucks for the base game and expansion pass in 2017, i'm not gonna download whatever the free version is when i should be able to build off what i've already purchased

umm. you need the forsaken pass and shadowkeep pass. assuming you have nothing. From what I understand the new light is a free game which is basically year 1 plus its DLC as far as i understand.

the problem is Forsaken is NOT available to purchase on steam. so if i want to, i will have to purchase it now on battle.net before its too late. or i am missing something

Though I'm not 100% sure, but I think your progress should carry over from what Bungie has suggested. Plus with First Light, you're getting a large chunk of Year 2 of D2 completely for free, like all strikes, crucible, gambit, etc as well as being able to go to all the new locations and being able to do whatever activities they offer to gear/level up along the way. This will lead you nicely into Shadowkeep, which you can buy only if you're still enjoying yourself with the new changes they've made to the game.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
tenor.gif

but i don't have nothing, i have the Destiny 2 - Base Game + Expansion Pass Bundle

*edit*

fuck it i'm giving up for now, bookmarking this thread and will try to figure shit out as we get closer to release

honestly i just wanna play pvp

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

from doing some google search i found this:

Not sure how accurate this is, but it seems if you want the forsaken 2 campaign you will have to purchase it separately ( to enjoy the story mode etc )

Q: What Forsaken and Forsaken Annual Pass content will be included in New Light?
A: Forsaken content available in Destiny 2: New Light includes:
Free Roam on all Destinations
Strikes Playlists
Crucible Playlists
Gambit and Gambit Prime Playlists
Select Annual Pass content

Q: What Forsaken and Forsaken Annual Pass content will NOT be included in New Light?

A: Forsaken content available only with purchase includes:
The Forsaken campaign
Year 2 Raids and Dungeons
Exotic Quests

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/66276/destiny-2s-free-version-include-forsaken-campaign/index.html

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
so people who invested in the game at launch are getting fucked

nice

imma figure this shit out if it's the last thing i ever do

moby dick is real and its name is destiny 2

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Trials aren't coming back and the game has gone downhill since D1. I really tried to get back into it during the Solstice of Heroes but it's just grinding over and over and never feel any more powerful. They go on and on about power for nothing....

Vawn

Banned
While I don't care for Destiny personally, I love the idea of more games getting the option to upload and download saves on the publishers servers that allow cross-saves between competing platforms.

It would be better if they found a way to sell bundles of multiple systems (digitally). I would love the option to swap between PS5 and Switch for games.

Switch has spoiled me, as I use it about 50/50 between handheld and television. But for AAA games, too much is sacrificed when compared to its PC/pure'console counterparts.

Stimpak

Thanks, great OP despite the confusing bungie.

Successfully switched to steam and PS4.

Not sure if I’m gonna buy Forsaken. All I want to do is PvP on PS4 until this game dies (which shouldn’t be too far away).

//DEVIL//

Thanks, great OP despite the confusing bungie.

Successfully switched to steam and PS4.

Not sure if I’m gonna buy Forsaken. All I want to do is PvP on PS4 until this game dies (which shouldn’t be too far away).

I just bought forsaken and the last expansion because I do like the story and i love the PVE in the game. been away from it since 2017. now its a good time to be back.

However i started playing and i don't remember shit. a bit confusing.

I’m going to just buy shadowkeep dlc on PS4 and pc I hope it lets me play pvp but I think it’s going to lock my weapons because I don’t own all the dlc on PS4 and pc :(

ookami

Trials aren't coming back and the game has gone downhill since D1. I really tried to get back into it during the Solstice of Heroes but it's just grinding over and over and never feel any more powerful. They go on and on about power for nothing....
Well... That's what people asked for. Grind. Something to aim for in between DLCs. What people seem to not understand is that having an event for one full month does not mean you should finish everything the first week. However, I'll admit that having to do this for three characters do feel like a chore.

Funny coming for someone playing the less supported activity. I mainly enjoy the story and PVE. While playing casually PVP, I do hope they'll show some love in this area.
It is far from dying when you leave your publisher while keeping your IP and launching your next extension with the first year free to play.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Well... That's what people asked for. Grind. Something to aim for in between DLCs. What people seem to not understand is that having an event for one full month does not mean you should finish everything the first week. However, I'll admit that having to do this for three characters do feel like a chore.

Funny coming for someone playing the less supported activity. I mainly enjoy the story and PVE. While playing casually PVP, I do hope they'll show some love in this area.
It is far from dying when you leave your publisher while keeping your IP and launching your next extension with the first year free to play.
I didn't even get through my Titan, the second round of grind was too much. I have too many games to complete and it just seems like a time sink that rewards comparatively very little. There are no new trophies, the armor most looks terrible or is a reskin and I never truly feel more powerful than I was before.

I used to love the game but maybe I'm just burned out. D1 was fantastic.

ookami

I just bought forsaken and the last expansion because I do like the story and i love the PVE in the game. been away from it since 2017. now its a good time to be back.

However i started playing and i don't remember shit. a bit confusing.
Try this if you have the time.

There are no new trophies, the armor most looks terrible or is a reskin and I never truly feel more powerful than I was before.

I used to love the game but maybe I'm just burned out. D1 was fantastic.
Yeah, I do miss the tone from D1 around Taking King. Darker and funny with parsimony, not like an Avenger movie pre-Infinity War. A matter of taste I guess, I still enjoy the game right now.
Bungie did acknowledge the problems with feeling powerful and difficulty in general on their Director's Cut post. I also have my fingers crossed for the next armors in Shadowkeep.

Last edited:

Stimpak

When I said the game was dying, I meant more specifically the PvP.

I don’t know about consoles, but on PC you’d literally fight the same teams multiple times in comp or trials.

On top of that, bungie (despite trailblazing with Halo/MLG) gives zero shits about the competitive Destiny scene.

To me, the PvP is the best thing. The PvE is lame af. Leviathan was a cool setting but the boss was so anti climactic.

Not trying to shit on anyone’s favorites, but I don’t get how someone could love the story over the gunplay in destiny 1 or 2.

That’s what makes this game so fun to return to.

Edit: if someone made a competitive sci fi shooter with gunplay as tight as destinys, there would be no reason to play it anymore.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m going to just buy shadowkeep dlc on PS4 and pc I hope it lets me play pvp but I think it’s going to lock my weapons because I don’t own all the dlc on PS4 and pc :(

PVP will be free regardless of platform. Your weapons and gear carry over all versions. You will not be locked out of your gear only the dlc content due to platform licensing, etc...

PVP is literally 50% of the playerbase. Nowhere near dying... don’t confuse this with halo... that’s dead

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
PVP will be free regardless of platform. Your weapons and gear carry over all versions. You will not be locked out of your gear only the DLC content due to platform licensing, etc...

PVP is literally 50% of the player base. Nowhere near dying... don’t confuse this with halo... that’s dead
PvP is what always keeps the game alive during content droughts (even though we really haven't had any during this last year with the annual pass style of content delivery). Crucible is in a big need of change because it has many flaws (most maps are not suited for quickplay 6 vs 6 since they were made with 4 vs 4 in mind, heavy ammo is the greatest offender, pinnacle weapons are the only real PvP pursuit, Mida catalyst is a joke, competitive is lame because the modes are not suited for it, crucible labs are abandoned), but is still filled with players. And from the Shadowkeep trailer, it seems that Bungie will revamp PvP altogether and address most of the critical problems. I agree with you, it is far away from being dead.

Last edited:

ookami

Not trying to shit on anyone’s favorites, but I don’t get how someone could love the story over the gunplay in destiny 1 or 2.
Yeah, gunplay is also one of the main things that hooked me. But as someone who grew up also playing RPG/MMO and interested in lore, it is also something that clicked with me. :)

Stimpak

Yeah, gunplay is also one of the main things that hooked me. But as someone who grew up also playing RPG/MMO and interested in lore, it is also something that clicked with me. :)

Fair enough.

Thanks for being gracious with my slightly peevish take on destiny

VertigoOA

Banned
PvP is what always keeps the game alive during content droughts (even though we really haven't had any during this last year with the annual pass style of content delivery). Crucible is in a big need of change because it has many flaws (most maps are not suited for quickplay 6 vs 6 since they were made with 4 vs 4 in mind, heavy ammo is the greatest offender, pinnacle weapons are the only real PvP pursuit, Mida catalyst is a joke, competitive is lame because the modes are not suited for it, crucible labs are abandoned), but is still filled with players. And from the Shadowkeep trailer, it seems that Bungie will revamp PvP altogether and address most of the critical problems. I agree with you, it is far away from being dead.

I don’t complain about Crucible much because I adjust to the meta. Supers are answered with suppressor grenades and sniper shots. I prefer the 4 v 4 comp playlists as well. 6 v 6 is fun but too hectic for me. I went full sperg with Crucible... almost have not forgotten.

What am I saying... I love the PvP more than anything in the game lol. I started raiding again tho... both last Wish and crown of sorrow are great. They really are the best environments in the game :/

Last edited:

Pejo

Man their site was getting hammered into the night yesterday, finally got my various save sharing and steam migration done though. I'm really glad they're doing this. My friends play on PS4, but I prefer PC, so this allows me the best of both worlds. Too bad it doesn't let you just purchase once and own the expacs anywhere, but I can always buy first for PS4 and then get the PC ones on sale.

Dynasty8

I'm going to break this down into 3 parts (Year 1-3) to prevent confusion for everyone in here who's confused. This about the DLCs, F2P stuff...not cross play.

Year 1: This will be free for everyone on October 1st, 2019. Comes with 3 campaigns, 3 raids, you can explore every single planet in the game, you will have access to ALL the strikes, every single Crucible (PvP) modes and maps, and all Gambit stuff (the cool PvE/PvP hybrid mode). That's a shit ton of content for free. Plus a TON of side missions such as some very cool year 1 exotic quests such as Whisper of the Worm and more.

Year 2: This costs $40 now and will cost around the same come October 1st. However, I believe you can buy this NOW and get all the year 1 stuff free before having to wait until October 1st. This comes with The Forsaken campaign (my personal favorite), 3 raids, some match making activities such as Black Armory, The Reckoning, and the Menagerie. Also some very cool side/exotic missions as well such as Zero Hour. If you find yourself enjoying the Free Year 1 stuff, then go for it....but just know that it's not required, you will still have access to just about everything else for free.

Year 3: Shadowkeep campaign, probably 3 more raids, new side/exotic missions, some new activity known as Nightmare Hunts, and different premium content and activities that Bungie will unveil as time goes by. If you just want the Shadowkeep campaign and the first raid along with some other stuff, then this cost $35. But if you're like me and play Destiny far more than most games, get the annual pass for $60 and you're covered for whatever Bungie releases from October 1st until around October of 2020. Again, this is not required and it is your choice if you want to ONLY buy Shadowkeep...meaning Forsaken is NOT required (same vice versa).

Hope this helps. It's really not confusing once you get into it...Bungie has done a pretty good job at changing a lot of the nonsense from the pre Activision days.

VertigoOA

Banned
The only thing that has changed is that you no longer need to own any older content to play the new stuff and get into endgame.

Before price collapsed for their dlc quickly. This mostly prevents that. It’s arguably more expensive but it’s more content so I’m cool with it

The most interesting new change is... no one needs to play the campaign... it’s there but new players bypass it. Interesting... seeing that’s where casual players stop.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Got it working.

Native 4k res on One X vs Pro checkboard is a noticeable improvement.

Easiest achievements completion ever.

Top Bottom