• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite Releasing One AAA Game Every 4-5 Years, CD Projekt RED is Now Worth $8 Billion

Dontero

Banned
Some of the biggest growth companies are now being pumped with money despite not having anything to really show for it: TESLA, Beyond Meat, Virgin Space. We're in a current state of euphoria driven mostly by speculation.

Going by that analogy any investment that doesn't bring money on day 1 is automatically failure and shouldn't be funded.
That is not how investment works. Companies aren't your private house income. They take bilions of dollars of loans to see maybe 5% profit in next decade. Good example of that is food market. Whole sector works on 1% margin rates. Everything they build is being paid of in 10-20 years due to that.

HarryKS

Going by that analogy any investment that doesn't bring money on day 1 is automatically failure and shouldn't be funded.
That is not how investment works. Companies aren't your private house income. They take bilions of dollars of loans to see maybe 5% profit in next decade. Good example of that is food market. Whole sector works on 1% margin rates. Everything they build is being paid of in 10-20 years due to that.
We're not arguing about the same things here.
It's a very silly analogy. Food giants are not growth drivers. They actually make money and redistribute dividends. Mondelez and Al's market caps are representative of the value they bring to shareholders. They've already been there and done that. It's a safe industry. Revenue streams are steady.
CD Projek's current market value is not in adequation with the money they bring in for a cautious investor. I did say they were a good surprise for longs, but one has to wonder what's driving the growth when you factor in net income.

Airbus Jr

Banned
CDProjectRed is now the second biggest european gaming company behind Ubisoft

Congrats

Keep it up and you guys gona be number one

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not a lot of companies can manage to output three excellent games in a row while also launching a digital storefront.

Witcher 1 gained a cult following on PC. It wasn't revolutionary but it launched during a time when sprawling WRPGs were far less common (same year as Mass Effect and 2 years before Dragon's Age Origins and Demon's Souls, to add some context).

Witcher 2 blew everyone away and is still my favorite game in the franchise. Gorgeous graphics, much better combat and pacing, scandalous nudity, great cast of characters, branching highly-replayable story with mature choices that really rubbed Bioware's nose in it (IMO). Came out the same year as Dark Souls and Dragon's Age II, for context.

Witcher 3 wasn't my personal fav but the gigantic map populated by not-cookie-cutter NPCs was an achievement unto itself. Brought even more normies into the franchise too.

They deserve the $$$. I hope Cyberpunk 2077 is another huge success for their company.

Airbus Jr

Banned
As much as I like CD Project and GoG, this seems overvalued as fuck.

I dont understand why many people here seems to be hating this news

Shouldnt you guys celebrate and be happy about this ?

Theyre among one of the most consumer friendly developer and most talented developer these days

I rated CDProjectRed aboves Rockstar, Naughty Dog, FromSoft, Capcom, SE, Santa Monica ,Obsidian, Guerella, Kojima Production and many others

Is this something to do with them not being an American dev or something like that?

Last edited:
I dont understand why many people here seems to be hating this news

Shouldnt you guys celebrate and be happy about this ?

Theyre among one of the most consumer friendly developer and most talented developer these days

I rated CDProjectRed aboves Rockstar, Naughty Dog, FromSoft, Capcom, SE, Santa Monica ,Obsidian, Guerella, Kojima Production and many others

Is this something to do with them not being an American dev or something like that?

I am not an American so probably got nothing to do with that.

I like CDP a lot. I like GOG a lot.

Companies that are significantly overvalued tend to crash and burn or become a victim of growing too fast too soon. I would happy if they are worth 8 billion but really its hard to imagine how. They hold 1 successful IP (maybe 2 soon). They have 1 middle of the road store that probably does just about decent revenue.

Top Bottom