• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite online rage, The Last of Us: Part II "has one of the highest completion rates of any" PS-4 game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klayzer

Any person who boots up a game just once gets added to the "incomplete" list. Rentals, borrowing, and even just plain quitting at any point all affect completion rate.

For example, the very first boss in Dark Souls III, who you encounter about 30 seconds into the game, has a trophy tied to beating him. Currently that trophy has been unlocked by only 87% of players, and that's just the first few minutes of the game turning away 13% of all players. I haven't even completed Dark Souls III (although it's on the list...that fucking ever growing list). Less people (myself included...and obviously percentage wise) have defeated the Deacons of the Deep than have completed The Last of Us. I'm aware Dark Souls has an overall high attrition rate, but their achievement lists make it incredibly easy to track where people stop progressing.

With that said, I personally see 58% as a VERY impressive completion rate number, no matter the game. But I also don't see why it even actually matters at all.
Without a question its impressive. People are letting their dislike for it cloud rational judgement. Not many games at all, single or multi, have as high a completion percentage. The very mention of the game seems to turn their brains into rocks.

Yoboman

I guess that streamer was the best gamer in the world on launch day as his 16 hours are better than the 1000 rushed gamers in that link by 2.5 hours.
Maybe he played on easy and skipped all collectibles, exploration and side quests like most streamers

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
A lot of people loved the first game, so to me there's no surprise that a large number of people wanted to see the sequel through.

mekes

I didn’t complete it, I didn’t even get very far. Perhaps about 5 hours in before quitting. It wasn’t for me back then, I wasn’t enjoying the story at all. I’ve kept it in my collection, I bought physical. May try again in the future, but it’s not high on my priorities anymore.

trikster40

The game was awesome. People wanted to know how the story played out, and the gameplay kept it interesting enough to make it through it.

I understand the hate, but think most of it is unwarranted.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Ahahahaha this is the metric they use now lmao
I don’t get this logic. In fact it’s down right dishonest.

The game is one of the best reviewed titles of all time.

The game is one of the best selling games of the generation.

The game has a higher completion rate than most other games.

By all credible and usual metrics, the game is a a standout success.

sol_bad

One of the streamers beat the game in 15-16 hours. And that included watching all cut scenes and getting killed a bunch of times so he had to redo areas.

How many hours of cut scenes are there? I know in the last few hours it was about 30-40 minutes alone as I saw him finish the game.

I bet if people skipped cutscenes, this might only be a 10-12 hour game.

He must have played it on games media review difficulty.

Yoboman

You know how it goes, look for the streamer who finishes the game the quickest to prove an agenda point.
Dude you're in a thread about those who have completed TLOU2, arguing with somebody who has completed TLOU2 and shown the average length of completion. And YOU HAVENT EVEN PLAYED IT.

Sweet merciful mother of irony

And then you want to bring up having an agenda?

PnlSY4t.gif

thelastword

Banned
Nah its clearly a case of people hated it so much they all just wanted it to end so they finished it very quickly.
Ha ha, good one.....
Instant rage for some. This release really did a number on haters psyche.
Never seen a game terrorize kiddies and give them so many nightmares. They were plotting against the game since "ND is bad for crunch, Druckmann more like cuckman, because he defended his game after a leak, they said this game would not review well, then the 94/5 Meta shook them to the core, they then went on the review bomb the game....Then they said sales will be bad because these reviewers got paid and they will stop buying this game when persons report it's really the worst game this gen" News then came up that LOU2 broke records after slighlty under 2 days of sales. They said sales have tapered off, till when ND blows their eyesockets out with the latest numbers for LOU2, maybe a few days after they release it on PS5......

This is Sony's biggest game, it would have been a victory for some if it reviewed bad and tanked, it is also from Sony's best developer and most prolific GOTY winner, also the studio at the top of the graphical foodchain.......LOU is like PS's excalibur, the plotting the wishing, the attempts to defeat it has been unrelentless, but the more they fight excalibur, the more bodies stands beneath it's wake. LOU 2 is overcoming every plot and warrior sent it's way with extreme prejudice....So you will see some really hateful and vengeful posts in here soon...

Interesting to see how a lot of people does not ends a game..

If 58% is good do not want to see the bad ones.
Thing is, the 42% who did not complete may still be playing, it's a long game. Maybe some don't have the time yet to continue, they booted and laid it down....People had to prepare to go make some bread after Covid had them locked down for awhile. I also anticipate a tonne of sales for LOU 2 for the holidays when most people take a few days off and find some time, especially with cheap PS4's and of course the PS5 version would be around then.....As I said, when all is said and done, I expect 30+ million copies of LOU2 to be sold...

Fake

Maybe he played on easy and skipped all collectibles, exploration and side quests like most streamers

Not only that. If you watch some reviewers, TLOUS2 have both a easy 'cinematic' mode, maybe similar to God of War 2016 and an acessibility option for blind people, but I saw some reviewers using for collecting itens and beating the game more fast.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

Same, it took me somewhere between 35 and 40 hours, it may have been longer than 40 hours, I can't remember.
And I'll return to it again soon.
If it gets a 4K60 patch on PS5 (unlikely?) I’ll do it. It will be the first game I replay in years.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Spoilers or whatever,

It's a solid game (as far as third person shooter AAA games go, it's a pretty mechanically fluid experience) with abysmal pacing, only really bothersome on second+ playthroughs. It's been brought up before in more eloquent detail, but having a narrative structure that builds up to a climax only to stop RIGHT BEFORE said climax and restart from a different perspective is...not good narrative structure.

Say what you will about specific plot events or quality of writing (I'd say it's about as well written or contrived as it's always been, whether that's a pro or a con is up to you) but I feel like it's the ping ponging of narrative tension that harms it more than any female biceps or golf games. By Abby's Seattle day 3, I was feeling more tension and sense of stakes because I was aware we were about to go back to Ellie. That shouldn't be the case when the plot was focused on an entirely different area. I should have been most invested in the Haven war and all that, and the fact that I just wanted that shit to get over with so I could see the theater conclusion was....eh. Certainly could have been managed better, I think.

EruditeHobo

Higher completion rate than:

• Final Fantasy 7 Remake
  • God of War
  • Spider-Man (PS4)
  • Days Gone
  • Death Stranding
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Detroit Become Human

Many of these have more copies out in the wild, right?

Regardless, I get your point. The issue with this game was never that there weren't a lot of people that liked it, rather there was a group (debatable how big it is) that very much doesn't like it. Which is fine, it's all just opinions.

The number of people -- millions! -- finishing this game so quickly, within a few months, is impressive. And no matter what, in an age of GaaS & MTX & multiplayer everything & ADHD mobile games taking over, it's really nice to see exemplification of the value of the single player experience. Because this game is it, or part of it... a story that people just have to get through, and can't get any other way. That was the strength of this game, and others like God of War, RDR2, etc. I think we will see similar things for Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

odhiex

I have finished it, loved it and still my GOTY so far.

Different opinions on the Internet are all good, but that doesn't bother me at all.

bukowski81

It's not surprising.

Can't believe that there is still people that actually believe this game is widely disliked. Outside of some dudes in gaming forums, twitter and stuff like that, the game is universally acclaimed.

Whitecrow

Banned
I don’t get this logic. In fact it’s down right dishonest.

The game is one of the best reviewed titles of all time.

The game is one of the best selling games of the generation.

The game has a higher completion rate than most other games.

By all credible and usual metrics, the game is a a standout success.
It had positive review bombing.
All media was scared of SOny not sending them copies anymore.
A lot of people outside forums swallowed the false advertising.

After the launch, the sales droped like any other SOny AAA. Thing only logical when people find out what the fuck they played.

Birdo

Banned
They played it to the end to see if it eventually gets good.

Disclaimer: This is a joke and not in any way an attack on anyone who enjoyed the game, Sony, or any of Sony's share holders.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

It had positive review bombing.
All media was scared of SOny not sending them copies anymore.
A lot of people outside forums swallowed the false advertising.

After the launch, the sales droped like any other SOny AAA. Thing only logical when people find out what the fuck they played.
Gotta try harder than that.

Whitecrow

Banned
Gotta try harder than that.
Can you elaborate and try to deny what I said?
EDIT
More proof:

Which other Sony exclusive got discounted this soon? No one.

And why?

I'll let you think.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake – 53.3%
  • God of War – 51.8%
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man – 50.7%
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy – 50.3%
  • Detroit: Become Human – 49%
  • Ghost of Tsushima – 38.2%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn – 34.5%
  • Days Gone – 34%
  • Death Stranding – 29.3% (???)
  • Red Dead Redemption II – 28.6% (?????)

wow
tenor.gif

I wonder what those % look like for some lesser-known titles

Halo0629

Game isn't really that long and pretty straightforward. You can beat it in 25 hours and even shorter than that at lower difficulties.

Klayzer

Dude you're in a thread about those who have completed TLOU2, arguing with somebody who has completed TLOU2 and shown the average length of completion. And YOU HAVENT EVEN PLAYED IT.

Sweet merciful mother of irony

And then you want to bring up having an agenda?

PnlSY4t.gif
Yeah, that didn't stop people from having an opinion. Im sure you only give opinions on things you have experience with :pie_thinking:

thelastword

Banned
Despite all the rage online the game still slayed in reviews, sales and completion rates....

I have learned not to get too involved in rage debates and online neck-vein popping, pitchforking and Greta Thunberging outcry sessions.....

Modern Warfare 2 - all the ragers/boycotters were playing on launch day
MK11 - sold bonkers and reviewed well
LOU 2 - reviewed supremely well, lined up for GOTY 2020, broke sales records and people just loved spending their time finishing up this long 40-50 hour game because the combat, scenarios etc was so great and gripping....

odhiex

Can you elaborate and try to deny what I said?
EDIT
More proof:

Which other Sony exclusive got discounted this soon? No one.

And why?

I'll let you think.

Not it matters that much, but the game was released in June and has been selling very well (millions nof copies) since. It's great that now, new potential players could get it $10 cheaper.

Do you still want a prove that no other Sony's exclusives have received discounts 2-3 months after being released?

You don't like the game and it's fine.

Woggleman

Honestly the game has some of the most engaging combat I have ever played and some of the sections especially later in the game give the sense of tension and dread of a post apocalyptic world very well. The hollowed out skyscraper and the bottom floors of the hospital felt like a slow descent into hell in a good way.

decisions

The controversy probably hurt the game's legs, but people who were invested enough to buy it anyway were probably only more motivated by the controversy to finish it - everyone wanted to have their viewpoint on the game so they could argue on the internet about it.

Reactions: Cha
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom