• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Derelicts Is an Indie Survival Game With Amazing Water Simulation Based on Unreal Engine 5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Recently, an indie developer shared some footage from their work-in-progress game based on Unreal Engine 5, focusing specifically on the engine’s power in simulating water, which was brought to life by Krystian Komisarek, another indie developer that is part of the project.

Derelicts is a survival game on Unreal Engine 5, and if you take a look at its Steam page, it already looks like a solid project from a small indie team. However, what makes it stands out from the other competitor is probably the developer’s focus on details in simulating the environment.

The water footage above is absolutely something incredible that you can barely find in the recent AAA projects. Although it’s yet to be seen how well this could be optimized at launch, it’s already a proud achievement for the team behind Derelicts and another sign of UE5’s crazy power.

Currently, there is no official release date for Derelicts, but we will probably hear more about it in the future!

The water:

200.gif

CamHostage

Oh, yep, that's Fluid Flux. Ignore this game until it's playable (yay, another indie survival game?) and just watch the waterworks...

Fluid Flux can be yours in your next Unreal Engine project for only $350 for the package. Seems pretty awesome. The tech designer Krystian Komisarek works at Flying Wild Hog, but he also made a lot of UE Marketplace projects produced by himself as side-projects.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The indie game development scene has been budding over the last decade or so, largely thanks to flexible development tools and accessible distribution platforms like Steam and Epic Games. Thanks to flexible and powerful engines such as the likes of Unreal Engine 5, even smaller indie teams can create compelling experiences that can stand on their own two feet against most AAA releases. In this feature series, we have talked about many such games including but not limited to Black Myth: Wukong, ILL, Road to Vostok, and a few more.

Today, we will be looking at yet another ambitious title in the form of DERELICTS. Originally conceived as a solo development project, DERELICTS punches well above its weight in certain aspects, and as such - it could very well end up being the next smash hit on Steam. DERELICTS takes cues from a wide array of sources and crafts something that is both familiar and fresh at the same time, and so we ask the question - what is exactly DERELICTS?

Oh, yep, that's Fluid Flux. Ignore this game until it's playable (yay, another indie survival game?) and just watch the waterworks...

I have the greatest respect for every indie dev out there. But the truth is that pretty much everyone with basic UE knowledge can make an amazing looking demo from marketplace assets.
Making a complete game is another story...

Last edited:

CamHostage

I have the greatest respect for every indie dev out there. But the truth is that pretty much everyone with basic UE knowledge can make an amazing looking demo from marketplace assets.
Making a complete game is another story...

To be fair, there's actual gameplay in the second video. Lots of Survival Game 101 to it, some mechanics where you can almost see the UE Blueprint triggers in action, but also a fair bit of complicated, considered and well-associated mechanics (plus I don't know why but you can ride sluicebox aqueducts like a slide.) So, with some skepticism still, I think I am ready to accept Derelicts as "a game"

But the court agrees with you; better watch yourself, counselor!

Last edited:

Banned
[/URL]

Recently, an indie developer shared some footage from their work-in-progress game based on Unreal Engine 5, focusing specifically on the engine’s power in simulating water, which was brought to life by Krystian Komisarek, another indie developer that is part of the project.

Derelicts is a survival game on Unreal Engine 5, and if you take a look at its Steam page, it already looks like a solid project from a small indie team. However, what makes it stands out from the other competitor is probably the developer’s focus on details in simulating the environment.

The water footage above is absolutely something incredible that you can barely find in the recent AAA projects. Although it’s yet to be seen how well this could be optimized at launch, it’s already a proud achievement for the team behind Derelicts and another sign of UE5’s crazy power.

Currently, there is no official release date for Derelicts, but we will probably hear more about it in the future!

[/URL]

The water:

200.gif

all that nice water... tarnished by screen space reflections...
on large water surfaces anything but planar reflections or RT reflections is unacceptable imo.

Kilau

Gold Member
Looks cool, I like the building but not crazy about the monster aspect.

Fluid Flux can be yours in your next Unreal Engine project for only $350 for the package. Seems pretty awesome. The tech designer Krystian Komisarek works at Flying Wild Hog, but he also made a lot of UE Marketplace projects produced by himself as side-projects.

[/URL]

See, I’d love to just play around in this simulation, looks so neat but not $350 neat since I’m not trying to make a game.

CamHostage

See, I’d love to just play around in this simulation, looks so neat but not $350 neat since I’m not trying to make a game.

Agreed. Would be like a fun puzzle game. Any creators here on GAF?

It might be cool if indie devs pursued an angle of "Tech + Game" like back in the Renderware/UE days where they made games with the engines so they could make better engines for making better games. In this case, though, instead of a big multi-purpose development house, it's the indie way: solicit a game developer partnership to be a flagship partner for a technology project, for feedback and workout as well as expanding the visibility of the project. Like, put the word out, "Hey, I have this thing, it's still in the works but I want a puzzle game made of it before it goes into 70billion survival-roguelike knockoff projects, but I only have time to make the tech, who's interested?" I mean, technically that's what UE Marketplace is (plus it's not a full engine, it's just a module to play around with or work into a scene, maybe into a play system,) anybody could take this and run, but there's not AFAIK a great suggestion system for that sort of relationship. Synchronicity between programmer and designer would be a cool angle to pursue for developers out there who only work one side of the equation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom