• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Der Struwwelpeter: The nightmare of growing up in German speaking countries

Lupingosei

Banned
For more than a century this book was either in pretty much every household and even in school libraries in German speaking countries. The author the German doctor Heinrich Hoffmann wanted to show children what happens, if they don't behave or listen to their parents.

This includes the main protagonist Struwwelpeter. Who did not want to cut his hair or fingernails.

H_Hoffmann_Struwwel_03.jpg

Or for example the boy who sucked on his thumps for too long so the tailor cut them off

H_Hoffmann_Struwwel_17.jpg

But there are others, the boy who did not want to eat his soup, so he starved and died.

H_Hoffmann_Struwwel_18.jpg

Or the girl who liked to play with fire, so she set herself on fire.

H_Hoffmann_Struwwel_08.jpg

Some of this stories were so popular, they became part of the German language. For example Zappel Philipp was the German word for what today would be an ADHD kid. Or Hans guck in die Luft, somebody who could not concentrate at the task at hand. In the story he almost drowned, because he was not giving attention to where he was going.

However there was also a story about three kids who made fun of a black kid and were thrown into ink by Santa Claus as punishment.

AKG5133.jpg

It is such a weird book and while they already tried to ban it about 50 years ago, you will still find it in a lot of bookstores and libraries today. For over 150 years, this is still part of a lot of people's childhood.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I grew up with this book here in Austria.
Yes the stories seem shocking at first, but they are teaching valuable lessons. The world isn’t a comfort zone, not for adults and not for kids either. The sooner we understand this when we grow up the sooner we can cope with the harsh reality.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The one about cutting your thumbs off is a little strange, but I guess it helps you realize that bad people exist who can permanently hurt you.

A lot of the others just seem like basic safety lessons, but I haven't read the book.

Lupingosei

Banned
That's gruesome and cool. Do you think the stories helped shape the attitudes of generations? What about yourself or family?
Well, that is hard to answer, because this is only part of making children shit their pants while growing up. There are a lot of customs all over the German-speaking part of Europe with the same goal.

Learning through fear was critzised a lot especially in the '60s and '70s and a lot of customs, fairy tales, and other things were censored.

The original fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm were way more violent. Funny enough the violence stayed for a very long time, the sex however got censored over time. So was the wolf in Red Riding Hood more a rapist who wanted to steal her virginity.

AJUMP23

Good thing the Germans listened and never did anything bad that shaped the history of the world. And if they did they would definitely learn from their mistakes the first time.

Biff

I'm sorry but I can't read that title without thinking of Stroopwafels. You guys have weird cookies.

Ma-Yuan

I had this as a kid too and I call my oldest son zappelphillip if he can't sit still and behave. I don't think it's as bad as people like to believe 🤔

Tschumi

Nightmare of German Speaking coutries for me... my local see in Berlin being full of fat naked old people

Kamina

Golden Boy
OP, I grew up with the brilliance that is Max and Moritz... oh my gawd, I don't think I ever got over the depiction of those two being shoved into the oven by the baker!

iu

He knew what he was doing... simply disturbing! lol
They do survive though and eat themselves out of the dough.
But they meet their end when thrown into the mill.

18806085_303.jpg

Last edited:

BigBooper

I enjoyed the Grimm stories as a kid. They were english translations, so probably censored, but still plenty of death and maiming.

StormCell

They do survive though and eat themselves out of the dough.
But they meet their end when thrown into the mill.

18806085_303.jpg
Yes I recalled this, too, while looking for images on image search. Just morbid, but it did get the point across that if you test adults enough they can turn and get rid of a nuisance kid... not defending it, but it does happen.

Ionian

This thing exist in English?
Yup, had a copy in the local library and also school as a child in Ireland.

It's fascinating and terrifying at the same. Think I was the only kid who really bothered with it

Last edited:
Top Bottom