• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Depth perception.

Ive got one major problem n i think itll be here for years! Its depth perception,

Games have advanced in visuals but still somehow old games looked more 3dish... Than modern games is it just me or is this common?

I know they use 3d glasses in films and have done it on the ps3 in titles like cryisis but the tech simply couldnt pull off for obvious reasons frame rates and so forth biggest of them is having to wear glasses.

So i dont know about most people but as good as visuals get in games they still remain 2d.

Or will raytracing and global illumiation help cause somehow games with good gi look more alive than faked ones.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Ive got one major problem n i think itll be here for years! Its depth perception,

Games have advanced in visuals but still somehow old games looked more 3dish... Than modern games is it just me or is this common?

I know they use 3d glasses in films and have done it on the ps3 in titles like cryisis but the tech simply couldnt pull off for obvious reasons frame rates and so forth biggest of them is having to wear glasses.

So i dont know about most people but as good as visuals get in games they still remain 2d.

Or will raytracing and global illumiation help cause somehow games with good gi look more alive than faked ones.

You need to look into VR then. Depth perception is only one part of it. There's also a real sense of scale, say if you were to stand next to a truck in VR it will look the same size as a real truck instead of a rendering of a truck on a screen.

Last edited:
That could also be the case.

DF released a video a few months ago about how awesome modern games look on a crt screen.
Not long ago when i had a x 360 games on it looked clearer on a flat panel but looked graphically better on a crt n i tested this back in forth... Now i remember but i dont know y though

You need to look into VR then. Depth perception is only one part of it. There's also a real sense of scale, say if you were to stand next to a truck in VR it will look the same size as a real truck instead of a rendering of a truck on a screen.
Vr is cool n all but it isnt for every game you cant play fifa in vr its for certain games, im talking about normal games but i want to see them with depth,

gifgaf

Nothing beats the depth perception of VR.
My brother has a squint and struggles with depth perception IRL. When I told him about VR we were not sure that it would even affect him as he had tried 3D glasses and the 3DS with no effects but he was blown away at just how much depth he could see in VR. I think that convinced him to buy a headset of his own instantly.

Vr is cool n all but it isnt for every game you cant play fifa in vr
Yet.

its for certain games
I dissagree, there are many flat screen games being ported to VR and even Emulators of old consoles that run in VR.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Not long ago when i had a x 360 games on it looked clearer on a flat panel but looked graphically better on a crt n i tested this back in forth... Now i remember but i dont know y though

Definitely worth a watch. Not sure if they address depth perception though.

Last edited:
My brother has a squint and struggles with depth perception IRL. When I told him about VR we were not sure that it would even affect him as he had tried 3D glasses and the 3DS with no effects but he was blown away at just how much depth he could see in VR. I think that convinced him to buy a headset of his own instantly.

Yet.

I dissagree, there are many flat screen games being ported to VR and even Emulators of old consoles that run in VR.
You can port fifa in vr but it isnt designed as a game tp be played in vr, vr is more of a first person type of game device its silly to play a game like fifa or a third person game and one of its problems is that all u see is the game world no idea whats outside and this will always be its major problem.

gifgaf

You can port fifa in vr but it isnt designed as a game tp be played in vr, vr is more of a first person type of game device its silly to play a game like fifa or a third person game and one of its problems is that all u see is the game world no idea whats outside and this will always be its major problem.
Again, I dissagree. VR does not have to be first person. Imagine VR as a camera that you have full control of with your head, then factor in the depth perception you see, also many games in VR are third person.

I am not saying the Fifa as it stands right now is perfect for VR, what I am saying is it's possable and probable that it will happen in the future in some form.

Last edited:
Again, I dissagree. VR does not have to be first person. Imagine VR as a camera that you have full control of with your head, then factor in the depth perception you see, also many games in VR are third person.

I am not saying the Fifa as it stands right now is perfect for VR, what I am saying is it's possable and probable that it will happen in the future in some form.
You cant see outside the game world in vr, mate all im tryibg to do is play my normal games when having my popcorn, my beer and so forth not put on some glasses and only see the game, u can disagree until jesus comes back but it waint working mate.

gifgaf

You cant see outside the game world in vr, mate all im tryibg to do is play my normal games when having my popcorn, my beer and so forth not put on some glasses and only see the game, u can disagree until jesus comes back but it waint working mate.
I am not forcing a headset on you... I am discussing shit is all. Jesus get off your high horse.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I feel like some phrases here are getting confused...depth perception comes from stereoscopics, meaning you have two different images going to each eye and your brain combines them, creating a sense of 3D space. That can be achieved by a variety of means, like red/blue filters and it’s mostly trash when it’s a flat screen you’re looking at with glasses on. VR, when you can isolate each eye and adjust for individual’s IPD really makes the effect awesome though.

I don’t think ray tracing or other elements of graphical fidelity really change this. A flat screen is a flat screen showing you a 2D image. Getting your brain to process something in a way that you have depth perception of the image is always going to require some extra hardware, whether it’s VR goggles or glasses or whatever the 3DS did to send one image to the left eye and another to the right.

I feel like some phrases here are getting confused...depth perception comes from stereoscopics, meaning you have two different images going to each eye and your brain combines them, creating a sense of 3D space. That can be achieved by a variety of means, like red/blue filters and it’s mostly trash when it’s a flat screen you’re looking at with glasses on. VR, when you can isolate each eye and adjust for individual’s IPD really makes the effect awesome though.

I don’t think ray tracing or other elements of graphical fidelity really change this. A flat screen is a flat screen showing you a 2D image. Getting your brain to process something in a way that you have depth perception of the image is always going to require some extra hardware, whether it’s VR goggles or glasses or whatever the 3DS did to send one image to the left eye and another to the right.
Nope your wrong on this vr is better at depth perception than other methods but that doesnt mean a flat screen cant show that, thats why we have 2d and 3d graphics and anybody in the world can tell a 2d game from a 3d game or 2d objects in a 3d game!

Ive once played my 360 on a crt and played it on a flat screen hdtv and i could tell the crt had more depth thibgs looked more 3d, this could be true because crt tvs have richer colors and deeper blacks something hd tvs dont have and have always tried to replicate, thats why we have hdr displays nowadays.

Psykodad

Banned

I think you are kinda missing the point.

Even on a 2D screen, you perceive depth. Hence, perception.

If I play Horizon Zero Dawn, I can switch HDR on and off and perceive different levels of depth in the game.

I think that's what OP was talking about.

Obviously, VR is an entirely different beast.

Last edited:

gifgaf

If I play Horizon Zero Dawn, I can switch HDR on and off and perceive different levels of depth in the game.
HDR changes depth perception? honest question. I'm still a 1080p scrub and I haven't seen HDR irl and do not really understand it. I guess I should look it up.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
HDR changes depth perception? Honest question. I'm still a 1080p scrub and I haven't seen HDR irl and do not really understand it. I guess I should look it up.
Imo it does, probably the more subtle colors which affects lighting for example, which in turn affect thing like fog or smoke effects.

Not sure how it all works technically, but stuff like smoke and fog seem to have more volume compared to SDR, which enhances depth perception imo.

Not really sure how to express it more clearly.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned

I don't really understand what any of that means. There are already plenty of 3rd person VR games and they work very well. I don't see why FIFA wouldn't work. Maybe work the camera like you would a Madden game. It's like a drone that flies above your team.

We agree that not every game needs to be in VR, but to write off 3rd person games completely? Why?

Wonko_C

I don't really understand what any of that means. There are already plenty of 3rd person VR games and they work very well. I don't see why FIFA wouldn't work. Maybe work the camera like you would a Madden game. It's like a drone that flies above your team.

We agree that not every game needs to be in VR, but to write off 3rd person games completely? Why?
A VR FIFA game could work from the perspective of a spectator in the stands of the stadium, only you control the players like you normally do on a TV game.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
A VR FIFA game could work from the perspective of a spectator in the stands of the stadium, only you control the players like you normally do on a TV game.
Yeah, exactly! Which, as you point out, would be the perspective you have now in FIFA games. I just wonder if the players would be too far away to make them out properly on our current VR headsets. The one negative I feel like they have is being able to resolve a lot of detail once you get to a certain distance. That's getting way too much into the tangent, but I find it interesting.

You know what game I have the biggest boner for in VR? Rocket League. Maybe the camera snapping to the ball and flipping around all the time would just be too much for most people in VR, but the depth perception would make it so good.

Top Bottom