• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dentist Acquires Treasure Trove Of Rare Retro Games For $1.02 Million.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What a fucking waste of money, think of all the good that could be done in the world with that kind of money!
I hope it makes them feel happy, (I’m sure it won’t)
We give Israel like 49 billion dollars a year despite it being a foreign country and spend around 450 billion on military shit a year. Imagine all the good we could do within America with that money!

brap

Banned
He was in some other gaming forum I frequented before and he is a nice dude though. But I still hate the fact he and other similar youtube channels fucking made every single older game expensive.
I'm sure he's a nice guy. He paid for Tony from H4G to come out to his house for some N64 DD shit. And yeah retro games aren't worth it anymore because everybody on youtube drives up the price. I'm getting all the PS2 games I can before the price skyrockets.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Where did all this envy come from? Dude has extra money to spend waste on games. Don't be pissed off about it. Why should he spend his time or money "making the world a better place" if he doesn't want to? It's the "you didn't build that" mentality, and it's disappointing to see it here. It's his cash he's wasting, not yours.

Would I spend that on a few dozen games myself? Hell no.

Do I think profit-driven collectors that don't care anything about the games skew the market for us true gamer that also collect? Sure.

As for Metal Jesus, I enjoy him and his crew. His vids are fun and I've been opened up to new games I might not otherwise have seen. It's his viewers that rush out to buy the games and spike the price, not him. He's just doing his channel and talking about pickups or hidden gems or games he likes. What's wrong with that?

diffusionx

Gold Member
What a fucking waste of money, think of all the good that could be done in the world with that kind of money!
I hope it makes them feel happy, (I’m sure it won’t)

It probably won't make him feel happy, hence the soyface in the photo - that's not a face of true joy.

That said I doubt this is the only way this guy is spreading his money around.

I know - I'm part of that generation. I'm 40 very soon :(

I am too, and I bought some old games lately, but they're used and even if a bit pricey, not like... that pricey. I wanted Order of Ecclesia, kind of did a double take at the price, and bought it anyway. It's a lot easier for me to do it now then it was 15 years ago. Maybe I'm part of the problem.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
“It took far too much money, he said.

That's pretty much what I say everytime I get home from the dentist.

dentist-open-wide-me-dentist-34246877.png

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I mean yeah no shit. He obviously knows it goes on and has no problem with it.

I guess I'm not sure what he's supposed to do about it. Stop talking about games he likes? Stop making videos? Tell his viewers they aren't allowed to buy the games for themselves? People act like he's personally responsible for the price spike.

brap

Banned
I guess I'm not sure what he's supposed to do about it. Stop talking about games he likes? Stop making videos? Tell his viewers they aren't allowed to buy the games for themselves? People act like he's personally responsible for the price spike.
idk but hes still partially responsible for it

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I fucking hate that ugly motherfucker and his hidden gems videos. Those videos should be titled 'LOOK AT ALL THE GOOD OBSCURE GAMES I BOUGHT FOR CHEAP THAT WILL NOW SKYROCKET IN PRICE BECAUSE OF ALL THE RESELLERS'
Fuck that dude

Inviusx

The "retro" gaming market was a mistake. There is a retro shop near where I live selling Mario Kart 64 for like $70AUD, cartridge only. Almost as expensive as when it was new 25 years ago.

There is no "collection" value in a banged up cartridge of a game that sold millions. It baffles me.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I mean yeah no shit. He obviously knows it goes on and has no problem with it.
He addressed it in one of his videos. I don't have an issue with him honestly. I actually enjoy Reggie's presence more. He actually collects games he's interested in and is going to play. If there are games he won't play he'd get rid of.

The ones I dislike are the ones who brag about their complete collections. They have no desire to play at all. Kinda feels like "look at me I have them all nanana".

The ones who genuinely do it for love of preservation though, that's ok.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
The "retro" gaming market was a mistake. There is a retro shop near where I live selling Mario Kart 64 for like $70AUD, cartridge only. Almost as expensive as when it was new 25 years ago.

There is no "collection" value in a banged up cartridge of a game that sold millions. It baffles me.
Can you explain what ‘collection value’ means?

I have some very popular and not rare games in my collection and I think they have value. Things like Mario and Zelda games. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games and so on...

Inviusx

Can you explain what ‘collection value’ means?

I have some very popular and not rare games in my collection and I think they have value. Things like Mario and Zelda games. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games and so on...

They have far more sentimental value (to you) than monetary. However I find that these retro sellers put a massive price on sentimentality, foregoing the fact that a game may not actually rare at all.

Like OOT or M64, these fetch ridiculous prices (in my local retro store) despite the fact that millions of copies were made.

Zog

Banned
They have far more sentimental value (to you) than monetary. However I find that these retro sellers put a massive price on sentimentality, foregoing the fact that a game may not actually rare at all.

Like OOT or M64, these fetch ridiculous prices (in my local retro store) despite the fact that millions of copies were made.
If stores sell them for high prices then they can be resold for high prices. High prices don't just benefit stores.

Top Bottom