• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DENON & Marantz Offering Free HDMI Adapter to Fix Xbox Series and PS5 HDMI 2.1 Bug With Receivers

It also needs it's own power cable? What is that adapter doing o_O

Maybe I will wait a few more months?

Basically downgrading the signal to 420 YUV or something similar. Sucks but the video chip in these receivers can't handle the type of video signal being outputted by Series X and Nvidia graphics cards.

Yes definitely wait! There's an issue with supply at the moment for certain components so you'll be waiting a while unfortunately.

EDIT: Read Venuspower's post below

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Don't need this adapter for the PS5, it works fine in the 8K port since both it and the Sound United AVRs use Panasonic HDMI chips.

Will be getting it for the XSX however... The adapter is the only way to get DTS X + 4K 120hz together since the 2020 model LG OLED TVs don't support piping DTS X through eARC (can only do Dolby Atmos).

MrTentakel

hdmi 2.1 seems to be a huge problem for the industry.
-Sony´s hdmi 2.1 TV (2020) update (VRR/ALLM) delayed
-Yamaha AVR hdmi 2.1 update delayed
-Marantz/ Denon "special fix" with breakout box
-Edit: Still waiting for my PS5 VRR/ALLM update

I wait for an AVR with at least 3 hdmi 2.1 inputs and sure as hell won`t buy based on promised features.
And I won`t reward the industry for their stupidity and scummy practices by buying the broken mess now and buyiung again in 2022.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have a 2600h so I may look into this. It's one of the main reasons I go through my CX and just use eARC instead of directly through the AVR.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Don't need this adapter for the PS5, it works fine in the 8K port since both it and the Sound United AVRs use Panasonic HDMI chips.

Will be getting it for the XSX however... The adapter is the only way to get DTS X + 4K 120hz together since the 2020 model LG OLED TVs don't support piping DTS X through eARC (can only do Dolby Atmos).
I guess I am in “luck” because I have a 2019 LG C9, but fck I thought they had this addressed by a FW update… sigh… I already run the consoles via the TV and ARC (older AVR with no eARC support but it can handle DTS still). A/V sync for movies can be a bit shit going through the TV instead of letting the Blu-Ray playing console decode it though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah I’m just gonna wait a year or two to upgrade my receiver until they sort this mess out
I just got the X2700H delivered yesterday as I thought that the issue might be circumvented by a FW update (Denon had to gall to try to increase prices due to shortages apparently, happened post order at least) and I am considering whether to unbox it or not. It is not buying a lot over the 3-4 years old X2300W beside eARC (which means LPCM 5.1+ at least) and support for DV/HDR10+ passthrough.

With the C9 having the VRR issue plaguing OLED I am also not going to use VRR, but this HDMI 2.1 transition is perhaps the biggest coordinated clusterfck I have seen in the tech industry in many years.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Can you get the XSX to decode it and pass it as it through eARC? I will order this box, but I wonder if the C9 does not need it because it can process DTS or if DTS support is only needed when you pass bitstream from the console (I guess DTS-X needs to be decoded by the AVR then right?).

Venuspower

Basically downgrading the signal to 420 YUV or something similar.
This is wrong. The adapter has nothing to do with Chroma Subsampling or something like this.

Long story short:
- There are 60368 FRL "patterns"
- The bugged chipset from Panasonic Nuvoton is missing 12 of those "patterns". Why are they missing? Because
Panasonic Nuvoton thought they do not need them (Yea, this is true).
- "Unfortunately" Series X is using these 12 patterns every single time when the console switches to FRL mode.
NVIDIA 3000-series-cards use these patterns only for 8K@60@HDR, not for 4K@120@HDR.

What does the HDMI adapter do? It unpacks the signal with the missing FRL patterns and repackages it into a signal that does not use these patterns. That is it. The Adapter does not touch the signal itself. There is not compression, not chroma subsampling taking place. It simply ensures that the missing FRL patterns are not sent to the AVR.

Fun Fact: Playstation 5 is using a Panasonic Nuvoton HDMI chip aswell. This chip is also missing those 12 patterns.
Which is why the current PS5 revision is working just fine when connected to an AVR that is using the bugged HDMI chipset. But it is more than likely that Sony will switch to the fixed HDMI chip sooner or later. In fact Panasonic Nuvoton already produces those chips. Therefore, you may need this adapter in the future for new revisions of PS5.

P.S.: There will be another adapter later this year that has multiple 8K Inputs.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Can you get the XSX to decode it and pass it as it through eARC? I will order this box, but I wonder if the C9 does not need it because it can process DTS or if DTS support is only needed when you pass bitstream from the console (I guess DTS-X needs to be decoded by the AVR then right?).
I believe you can do 4K 120hz + DTS X through eARC on the 2019 LG models since they can pass DTS X.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Oh man.. that's garbage.

I feel vindicated for waiting on HDMI 2.1 but also kinda stupid.. should have just bought a TV and not used HDMI 2.1 features years ago lol

Buggy Loop

😐

This whole HDMI 2.1 has been a mess, I’m kind of happy I stayed on the sidelines with my freaking old 1080p plasma until all this crap gets fixed. Fucking joke of a standard

AgatonSax

Denon/Marantz refresh hardware almost every year so I’d definitely return and wait for next iterations. It’s the Arcams and Anthems that need to get it right.

Top Bottom