• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls (PS5) Sold Over 1.4 Million Units

S0ULZB0URNE

You have no ideia what are you talking about lol
So no numbers.
I posted numbers that can easily be googled.

I will edit my post like you do when wrong. The difference is I will remind you of what you said and was wrong about yet aren't man enough to admit it.

ethomaz ethomaz Said.....

'You know these numbers are better than most if not all Dark Souls releases."

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So no numbers.
I posted numbers that can easily be googled.

I will edit my post like you do when wrong. The difference is I will remind you of what you said and was wrong about yet aren't man enough to admit it.

ethomaz ethomaz Said.....

'You know these numbers are better than most if not all Dark Souls releases."
I stand with my own and correct opinion based in facts.

Demon’s Souls (2020) numbers are indeed better than any Soulsborne game released on PlayStation.

Your weird assumptions won’t change the reality.

Plus like I said it won’t be a surprise if Demon’s Souls (2020) becomes the best selling Soulsborne ever on PlayStation with that strong start… after all a lot of fans doesn’t have a PS5 yet.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Will pick it up during the next sale never played a souls game before

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I stand with my own and correct opinion based in facts.

Demon’s Souls (2020) numbers are indeed better than any Soulsborne game released on PlayStation.

Your weird assumptions won’t change the reality.

Plus like I said it won’t be a surprise if Demon’s Souls (2020) becomes the best selling Soulsborne ever on PlayStation with that strong start… after all a lot of fans doesn’t have a PS5 yet.
I gave numbers.
You gave nothing.

yurinka

Can we all just agree that 1.4 million doesn't get Jim Ryan + Herman Hulst excited? It's not a needle mover. These types of games, as good as they supposedly are, don't have breakout potential. It's a genre better left to third parties and smaller developers.

Let's stop squabbling about what we disagree on (see: the definition of "good") and start uniting on something we can all agree on.
We can agree 1.4M in half a year or so it's the best launch for this niche genre on PS, and it means it's even more profitable because it's a remake so is way cheaper to develop than a brand new game.

And even better, they achieved it in a single console with a launch game, with no previous userbase. And even more, they did it with a game that originally nobody bought instead of being a remake of a super sales hit. And even more, they did it selling it at $70. And even more, got a 92 in metacritic.

So we can agree Ryan + Hulst must be and should be very excited. In fact, they just bought its studio, so make sure they are excited.

Last edited:
Its a perfect first souls game for newcomers and actually the first souls type game. Its astonishing how much FromSoftware got right on their first entry.
I think the world tendency system in Demon's is very off-putting for new players. Even people who've beaten the game don't always understand how the system works at all.

Venza

Banned
I think the world tendency system in Demon's is very off-putting for new players. Even people who've beaten the game don't always understand how the system works at all.
Oh definitely. The world tendency seemed novel at first but I still dont fully understand it. It is the easiest souls game though.

Last edited:

Apeopleman

Oh definitely. The world tendency seemed novel at first but I still dont fully understand it. It is the easiest souls game though.
I agree. It’s silly and I hate how certain NPC quests and places in the worlds are locked behind full white or full black

ethomaz

Banned
I agree. It’s silly and I hate how certain NPC quests and places in the worlds are locked behind full white or full black
It is actually one of the features that should be used in more games.

It was innovative and awesome to reach pure white or pure black world… world tendency is something that should be used again.

It is one of the things that makes original Demon’s Souls better than Dark Souls.

It is pretty easy.

If you die you make the world more black.
If you kill a boss (not die) you make the world more white.

In online it is the cumulative of dies and kills of all players in the server… of course you have full white or full black events frequently that are set for periods and player activity doesn’t affect it.

In offline it all depends on you… each two bosses killed you increase a level for white tendencies… each two dies you add a level to black tendencies.

So you decide what the world will become… of course pure black is easier because you can die whatever you want but pure white is more complicated because you have a fixed number of bosses to kill per playthrough and even if the number of bosses is several times more than what you need to reach pure white it will be difficult if you start to die a lot.

Man that was 2009… only a word describe it… genial.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

They sell incredibly well, but to a niche audience. That audience buys every game that FROM puts out. The games do not have mass appeal, which makes them "niche", by definition.
Now, Elden Ring may change that, as it should have more crossover appeal.
Over 27 million from just the Dark Souls games says your wrong.
If we add the other Soulsborne games it's even higher.
Most anticipated game award beating BOTW 2 and GOW2.... Elden Ring achieved says your wrong.

Last edited:
Over 27 million from just the Dark Souls games says your wrong.
If we add the other Soulsborne games it's even higher.
Most anticipated game award beating BOTW 2 and GOW2.... Elden Ring achieved says your wrong.
You're clearly hung up on the term "niche", but it does not mean what you think it does. "Niche" does not mean "small". A "niche market" does not mean that the market is small. A niche market merely means that it is a specialized or dedicated segment of a bigger market. Souls games ABSOLUTELY fall into this category.
I said already "the games sell incredibly well". It's a dedicated player base who buys ALL the FROM Software games. They didn't sell copies to 27 million people. They sold 3 games each to about 7-9 million people. There's literally hundreds of millions of gamers, so 8 million people in that specialized Souls market is therefore "niche".
The entire problem here is that you misunderstand what the word actually means. Sony even said that they consider the PS5 market to be "niche", and they've sold how many so far? And it's the hottest item to buy again for the holidays... it's still for a niche market.

Last edited:

tommib

It is actually one of the features that should be used in more games.

It was innovative and awesome to reach pure white or pure black world… world tendency is something that should be used again.

It is one of the things that makes original Demon’s Souls better than Dark Souls.

It is pretty easy.

If you die you make the world more black.
If you kill a boss (not die) you make the world more white.

In online it is the cumulative of dies and kills of all players in the server… of course you have full white or full black events frequently that are set for periods and player activity doesn’t affect it.

In offline it all depends on you… each two bosses killed you increase a level for white tendencies… each two dies you add a level to black tendencies.

So you decide what the world will become… of course pure black is easier because you can die whatever you want but pure white is more complicated because you have a fixed number of bosses to kill per playthrough and even if the number of bosses is several times more than what you need to reach pure white it will be difficult if you start to die a lot.

Man that was 2009… only a word describe it… genial.
Yeap, the fact that people still don’t understand It plays in its favour. It was so mysterious back in the day to see doors that were closed before but were now open and NPCs reacting differently to you. You knew you did something but just couldn’t quite figure it out. It was genius and adds to the brilliance of the whole thing.

Add to that ending up as a boss to another player and the whole thing was an explosion of creativity of intertwined systems.

We can agree 1.4M in half a year or so it's the best launch for this niche genre on PS, and it means it's even more profitable because it's a remake so is way cheaper to develop than a brand new game.

And even better, they achieved it in a single console with a launch game, with no previous userbase. And even more, they did it with a game that originally nobody bought instead of being a remake of a super sales hit. And even more, they did it selling it at $70. And even more, got a 92 in metacritic.

So we can agree Ryan + Hulst must be and should be very excited. In fact, considering they just bought the studio we can be sure they are excited.
Animated GIF

Lognor

Banned

So we can agree Ryan + Hulst must be and should be very excited. In fact, they just bought its studio, so make sure they are excited.
Huh? IS this joke? Souls games are a niche genre? Dark Souls 3 sold over 10m. Sekiro has sold over 5m copies. Nioh has sold over 5m copies. Souls games are not niche.

Ratchet and Clank has likely already outsold Demons Souls when the former has never been a sales hit. And Demons Souls has been on sale longer than R&C and Demons Souls has been on discount several times already.

1.4m isn't terrible, but it's not fantastic either.

S0ULZB0URNE

Gameplay wise is probably the most crude Souls but imo the lore, atmosphere and characters are still the best in the franchise.

That is why I still consider it the best one.
Dark Souls with DLC is better imo.
If Demon's Souls was longer or offered DLC this would likely be different.

R6Rider

Gold Member
After playing the original I never really understood the tendency system. After playing the remake, the world and character tendency actually isn't very confusing at all.

Along with this, the NPCs and quests tied to the world and character tendency is less convoluted than NPCs location and order of quests in the Dark Souls games.

The big thing with the world tendency is that it's not explained worth a damn in-game and that getting a world to pure black can be extremely difficult for new players to continue.

Apeopleman

After playing the original I never really understood the tendency system. After playing the remake, the world and character tendency actually isn't very confusing at all.

Along with this, the NPCs and quests tied to the world and character tendency is less convoluted than NPCs location and order of quests in the Dark Souls games.

The big thing with the world tendency is that it's not explained worth a damn in-game and that getting a world to pure black can be extremely difficult for new players to continue.
Yea the issue is its not explained. How am I supposed to know killing myself in the nexus so I’m in soul form is ideal? Seems like an odd thing to do 🤷‍♂️

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yea the issue is its not explained. How am I supposed to know killing myself in the nexus so I’m in soul form is ideal? Seems like an odd thing to do 🤷‍♂️
Had a buddy who never played the original and was asking me why so many people were rolling off the stairs. This was after he was asking me why he had more red skeletons on the skeleton level. Poor bastard.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Huh? IS this joke? Souls games are a niche genre? Dark Souls 3 sold over 10m. Sekiro has sold over 5m copies. Nioh has sold over 5m copies. Souls games are not niche.
To take the emotion out of this, I'll use a non-gaming example. Whole Foods is a grocer that roughly 20% of Americans shop at during a given year, according to quick search I just did now. That is a huge number of people, about 60 million people. However, Whole Foods caters to a "niche market". As I said above, "niche" does mean "small". It simply refers to a dedicated, specialized market that is part of a larger market.
You are listing off games like Nioh, which is exactly the point. Nioh players are part of that niche market. The Surge players are too, as are people who played Ashen. As are people who will definitely buy Elden Ring day 1.
I know this niche well, as I'm part of it. I've platinumed all the Souls games, and both Nioh 1&2. I played Ashen and Death's Gambit on day 1. The problem is that you're misunderstanding how the term is used in regards to the marketplace. Why do you think there's a term for Soulsborne games? Because it's an easily identified "specialized" segment of the player market. That is what "niche" really means.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Ratchet and Clank has likely already outsold Demons Souls when the former has never been a sales hit. And Demons Souls has been on sale longer than R&C and Demons Souls has been on discount several times already.

Sekiro shipped 5 million copies in 4 years on 3 platforms.

Nioh SERIES shipped 5 million copies in over 4 years on 2 platforms. Nioh 2 sold 2 million in 1 year.

Dark Souls II sold 10 million copies in 4 years.

The fact that you're comparing a game sold on 1 platform with a lower install base over 4 years is insane.

Demon's Souls will likely hit 3 million next year and it's STILL a very niche genre.

Topher

Gold Member

10 million for Dark Souls 3 over four years. Nioh and Nioh 2 combined for 5 million copies. On multiple platforms with install bases in the hundreds of millions. And these games are on PC where multiple store fronts are offering sales on a continued basis. The base price for Dark Souls 3 remains $60 but head over to CD Keys and get it for $12. You can't just compare console game sales to PC without putting it into proper context.

How 1.4 million sold on a closed platform of 10-12 million isn't impressive, I have no idea.

ethomaz

Banned
To take the emotion out of this, I'll use a non-gaming example. Whole Foods is a grocer that roughly 20% of Americans shop at during a given year, according to quick search I just did now. That is a huge number of people, about 60 million people. However, Whole Foods caters to a "niche market". As I said above, "niche" does mean "small". It simply refers to a dedicated, specialized market that is part of a larger market.
You are listing off games like Nioh, which is exactly the point. Nioh players are part of that niche market. The Surge players are too, as are people who played Ashen. As are people who will definitely buy Elden Ring day 1.
I know this niche well, as I'm part of it. I've platinumed all the Souls games, and both Nioh 1&2. I played Ashen and Death's Gambit on day 1. The problem is that you're misunderstanding how the term is used in regards to the marketplace. Why do you think there's a term for Soulsborne games? Because it's an easily identified "specialized" segment of the player market. That is what "niche" really means.
You should try Mortal Shell… even with the way lower production value you will have some good surprises… I mean there some great ideias there and the game is not bad at all.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
You should try Mortal Shell… even with the way lower production value you will have some good surprises… I mean there some great ideia there and the game is not bad at all.
+1 for Mortal Shell. Game has some really cool ideas and class differences.

yurinka

No, your post is the joke.

They didn't sell that in less than a year (or even at full price), didn't sell that starting with a userbase of 0 users, didn't sell that in a single platform.

Dark Souls 3 was included in places like PS Plus or Humble Bundle, was also frequently selling it for around 10 bucks during a couple of years before achieving that, and was also sold bundled with the previous DS gmaes before reaching the 10M.

Nioh didn't reach 5M, what they announced is that the Nioh series, not the first game, reached 5M at the end of April 2021. Back in February 2020 they mentioned Nioh 1 (not only in PS, also counting PC) reached 3M:

Ratchet and Clank has nothing to do with this genre, it's like trying to downplay the sales of any random game saying Minecraft, GTA or CoD sold more.

Last edited:
You should try Mortal Shell… even with the way lower production value you will have some good surprises… I mean there some great ideias there and the game is not bad at all.
Yes, I've played and beaten Mortal Shell as well. Tried doing the run without a shell, but couldn't get past the boss who spams the ice AOE attack. Don't actually know how they expect you to beat her without taking some damage.

yurinka

The base price for Dark Souls 3 remains $60 but head over to CD Keys and get it for $12.
Starting a year and something after release, its cheapest price has been around $10-$12 on PC during 3 years and a half or so, with a total minimum of 5.99€. It also was included in PS Plus, Humble Bundle and so on, and also was sold bundled with the other DS games (light green for minimum price in any store for that day).

image.png

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/darksoulsiii/history/#/chart:price

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Starting a year and something after release, its cheapest price has been around $10-$12 on PC during 3 years and a half or so, with a total minimum of 5.99€. It also was included in PS Plus, Humble Bundle and so on, and also was sold bundled with the other DS games.

image.png

Is that data on Steam or some other website?

Delicious crow in the morning :pie_savoring::pie_savoring::pie_savoring:

I made a rookie mistake with my estimate by not incorporating the release date into it. A mediocre charting in November still means you sold a lot of copies. Very obvious in hindsight.

YukiOnna

No, your post is the joke.

They didn't sell that in less than a year (or even at full price), didn't sell that starting with a userbase of 0 users, didn't sell that in a single platform.

Dark Souls 3 was included in places like PS Plus or Humble Bundle, was also frequently selling it for around 10 bucks during a couple of years before achieving that, and was also sold bundled with the previous DS gmaes before reaching the 10M.

Nioh didn't reach 5M, what they announced is that the Nioh series, not the first game, reached 5M at the end of April 2021. Back in February 2020 they mentioned Nioh 1 (not only in PS, also counting PC) reached 3M:

Ratchet and Clank has nothing to do with this genre, it's like trying to downplay the sales of any random game saying Minecraft, GTA or CoD sold more.

Bit of a correction, but Nioh Series is now at 6M, they didn't give an update on the breakdown between the individual games this time though.

arvfab

Banned
Yes, I've played and beaten Mortal Shell as well. Tried doing the run without a shell, but couldn't get past the boss who spams the ice AOE attack. Don't actually know how they expect you to beat her without taking some damage.

The AOE is actually easy to avoid. Just run away from the boss as soon as you see the animation of the attack start (beware of the arena limits). Alternatively you could stab him before he starts the attack, but I'd rather not risk it.

Took me a while to beat him... Only to give up on the final boss 😩

Top Bottom