• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls (PS5) Sold Over 1.4 Million Units

yurinka

Impressive sales for an a $70 remake of an old game nobody bought that is also a launch game for the only platform where it has been releasing. It means that slightly under 14% of the available console owners until know bought it.

Last edited:

Reallink

Lol 1 million on launch day? I doubt Sony even went that high with their optimistic expectations

Soul's games typically sell pretty well, launches are hugely front loaded with your hardest core customers, gaming is bigger than ever including an unprecedented Covid bubble, and it was basically the Mario 64 of the PS5 lineup. I think it's safe to say they had healthy expectations for it.

Last edited:
Just like I suspected.
Sony was quiet about the sales of Demon's Souls due to the upcoming acquisition.

Soul's games typically sell pretty well, launches are hugely front loaded with your hardest core customers, gaming is bigger than even including an unprecedented Covid bubble, and it was basically the Mario 64 of the PS5 lineup. I think it's safe to say they had healthy expectations for it.

Miles was the Mario 64 of the PS5 lineup. Not Demon's Souls lmao

The only Souls game that was capable of managing those types of numbers was DS3, snd that required a massive install base to achieve

Last edited:

Rea

It was remake after all that decrease a lot the costs when over 80% of the creation is already created.
What?? 80% ?
All blue point reuse was gameplay mechanics codes and the rest of the everything is redone. Animation, textures, songs, new lighting and shadows system, new weather system, programming for haptics and 3d audio. Enemies designs are also improved and more detailed with additional stuffs. It is a remake, yes, it won't cost the same as brand new IP, yes, but saying 80% of the game is a stretch.

Mess

Miles was the Mario 64 of the PS5 lineup. Not Demon's Souls lmao

The only Souls game that was capable of managing those types of numbers was DS3.

I'd very much disagree. Souls players will buy a PS5 to play DeS. Miles is both cross gen and would prolly not be a console seller anyway. DeS as a launch game was a strong move by Sony.

skit_data

Soul's games typically sell pretty well, launches are hugely front loaded with your hardest core customers, gaming is bigger than ever including an unprecedented Covid bubble, and it was basically the Mario 64 of the PS5 lineup. I think it's safe to say they had healthy expectations for it.
I remember reading that they considered all their launch titles selling ”better than expected” in one of their annual reports a few months ago so I doubt sales could be considered disappointing.

DS3 sold about 3 million in 3 months across 3 platforms with a combined install base of at least 100+ million. Demon’s Souls could be considered even more successful given those metrics or at least within expectations.

ethomaz

Banned
What?? 80% ?
All blue point reuse was gameplay mechanics codes and the rest of the everything is redone. Animation, textures, songs, new lighting and shadows system, new weather system, programming for haptics and 3d audio. Enemies designs are also improved and more detailed with additional stuffs. It is a remake, yes, it won't cost the same as brand new IP, yes, but saying 80% of the game is a stretch.
Good part of game development budget is used in the pre-production stage where you create the story, art, character and enemies design, define the mechanics, songs, etc etc etc... in others works it is where you define your project.

What Bluepoint did was to get that project already created and remake/code it in another platform.
From Software did most of the job before 2009.

Last edited:

Mess

Good part of game development budget is used in the pre-production stage where you create the story, art, character and enemies design, define the mechanics, songs, etc etc etc... in others works it is where you define your project.

What Bluepoint did was to get that project already created and remake/code it in another platform.

Bluepoint had a lot of work on the remake for sure but what had to be done was very well known, easier to deliver on a given scheldule. Again, smart move for a launch title.

for as much as u can't throw a rock online without everyone claiming souls games revolutionized gaming...and how they are better than everything else...im kinda surprised. I thought it would sell more than that. It was basically the only PS5 exclusive game for over half a year

Yeap if we take attach rate only Demon’s Souls (PS5) did better than Bloodborne.

It can surpass Bloodborne in long run sales due new PS5 owners buying it… plus bundles… but it is not set on stones.

The good think is that it did so much better than Demon’s Souls original… a game that a lot of gamers wanted to play but could not buy it (Altus printed only 900k copies in US that make the used copy market to sell it at way over $90 after the word of mouth success).

I’m very happy these that did not have the chance to enjoy the original can play this gem now.
Let's be honest the person I quoted is a massive Xbox troll, so it's not surprisingly he'd post that garbage.

I thought sales of games aren't important metrics to Xbox fans any more? Only important if it's a sony exclusive not selling.

skit_data

I'd very much disagree. Souls players will buy a PS5 to play DeS. Miles is both cross gen and would prolly not be a console seller anyway. DeS as a launch game was a strong move by Sony.
I bought a PS5 for Demon’s Souls, but I also find it completely resonable that most people bought it for Miles Morales. Its totally fine, not everyone likes these games and the Souls-series fanbase is not the crowd to lean into if you want a big blockbuster(its a hardcore fanbase, but not very big), that role was filled by Miles Morales.

Sony provided several launch titles: the blockbuster family title, the more hardcore niche ”git gud or die tryin” title + for the kids in sackboy and astrobot.

Well played according to me, they offered a relatively wide lineup of games for a variety of customers.

Last edited:

Codes 208

And thats the difference between expectation and reality.

It still tops the charts btw, its a big franchise.
Its almost like spiderman can sell just on its name or something (Especially after the first insomniac title) crazy concept i know.

whereas DeS had very little marketing appeal and soulsborne has a lways had a cult following with near niche sales. Honestly this is about where i expected tye sales to be around.

ethomaz

Banned
Guys? Really?

Miles Morales vs Demon's Souls?

A franchise over 10 million in sales vs a franchise below 3 million sales?

Except for the meme Miles Morales is not NICHE.

Last edited:

Rea

Still that's not 80% lol. It's not the same as simple up_ resolution. They basically have to redo most of the things. Like motion capture, voice acting, remaster the songs. New graphics engine like global illumination, indirect shadows, weather system, high Res textures.
Old game didn't has those features.

JaksGhost

As the sole premiere first party launch title (and for the following 8-10 months), and still one of the only ground up next gen showpieces, I have to imagine Sony was expecting around 1 million units basically on launch day. While I'm sure they're happy they're not bleeding money on an abject bomba, they can't be thrilled with 1.4 million in a year. If it's not well below their expectation, it has to be just barely hitting their most pessimistic worst case forecast.
OrnatePastItalianbrownbear-size_restricted.gif
PUT THE PIPE DOWN!

Amiga

PS. I still remember some saying the game was not selling even it being in the best sellers in PS chartz lol

Still on premium price, least were $50 promotions. did it ever go under that price.

Ogbert

Great game. Loved it.

But a timely reminder of how niche Souls games are. We are enthusiasts and enjoy From games, but it's COD, FIFA and their pals that shift units.

YukiOnna

Great game. Loved it.

But a timely reminder of how niche Souls games are. We are enthusiasts and enjoy From games, but it's COD, FIFA and their pals that shift units.
I don't know, Sekiro was one of FROM's fastest sellers and hit 5M total in a short period. Dark Souls III reached a lifetime sales of 10M as of 2020 which is 4 years later. I think it's just specifically the Demon's Souls IP.

[Sigma]

Those are very good numbers considering the install base and the fact that $70 price tag was maintained for quite a while so they definitely made some money off it.

A very 🤡 take if there was one.

1.4 million on 10 million consoles it's over 1/10 players buying it.
Actually, the attach ratio was a lot higher when the game sold the bulk of its sales (first couple of months, as it is for most games).

It may have very well sold over 1 million when there were only still 6 million PS5s sold.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Pretty good attach rate for this kind of game (helped by the limited launch games as expected). I know Souls games have gotten more popular over the years but still.

I knew it was possible despite people comparing how Returnal sold and that Sony didn't state the DeS sales; you can't look into those things too much until you get solid numbers.

Last edited:
Why are some people surprised? I was the only next game looking launch game and Souls stuff became quite popular. Guess it will sell like 2,5m with some serious price drops and maybe another 2m if they port it to Pc.

dd492941

Beating a dead horse I feel but when will bluepoint get to remaster or remake bloodborne. The best game in the souls genre.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
1.4x $70 is right around 100 million so I suspect that more than paid for the costs.

I know there is lots more to it than that but still probably very successful.

1.4 million includes discount sales too. That game dropped in price pretty quickly if I recall correctly.

Feels like treading water IF that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You don't...

$25 off from Amazon 10 months after release.
30% off PSN 7 months after release.

Nintendo evergreen this is not.

skit_data

$25 off from Amazon 10 months after release.
30% off PSN 7 months after release.

Nintendo evergreen this is not.

Alright it was actually discounted at 30% but I wouldn’t call it ”dropping in price pretty quickly”, seems pretty normal for a 7 month old game at PSN.

Nintendo is something else entirely, they announce N64 controllers at twice the original price 25 years later for pete’s sake!

Top Bottom