• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Chiggs

Best Soul Farming Method for Low-to-Mid Level Magic Users

Required Items/Weapons/Spells
  • Bow and arrows (preferably 100)
  • Soul Ray
  • Ring of Avarice
  • Thief Ring
  • Fresh Spice (if your MP is low)

Process:
  1. Spawn in.
  2. Run up stairs and position yourself at the edge of the pit.
  3. Use Soul Ray on Katana Skeleton (keep suitable distance).
  4. Jump back down pit and run outside.
  5. Shoot two Mantas with Soul Ray.
  6. Run into Reaper chamber.
  7. Drop down to bottom floor and immediately run outside to the right ledge.
  8. Shoot middle skeleton with 1 arrow; he will immediately roll off the cliffside.
  9. Run back to the Reaper chamber room.
  10. Shoot and kill Reaper with arrows.

This process takes approximately 3-4 minutes and will net roughly 10k souls. Do it 20-30 times. Time to power level.

Last edited:
This is the first game of the decade I'm addicted to... which is to be celebrated, considering the forum in which I'm posting this.

Works great today, even after updating the console. No problems. I remain completely "off the wagon". Jesus this 12 year old game has teeth!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Thanks for your input!

Soley Magic!

But dosn't the cresent falchion also amplifies magic like the kris?
I'm confused.

Still need to collect the monk's collar. I play offline to have full control over world tendencies.

Thanks again!
The Falchion does magic DAMAGE in melee, but it refreshes your MP. So over time you recover the MP you spend. The Kris makes your spells 10-30% more powerful. Like the ring of magical sharpness and the Monk's collar. Those all stack by the way. Give it a try. Hit something with soul arrow just normal and then do it while holding the Kris in your other hand. If you put the ring and the Kris together with the Monk's collar, I believe you get about an 80% boost to spell power- how hard it hits.

Talk to everyone on the ground floor of the Nexus. Also in world 3-1 you should get a key before the first boss where you can go back to the prison and release a prisoner (Not the blue phantom, but a person). That person will sell you the BIG spells that you use boss souls to get.
There is a 3rd vendor you unlock in 1-3 as well, who sells you the BIGGEST spells.

Best Soul Farming Method for Magic Users
Mmm, my preferred method for a mage is to get 30+ Intelligence, 10 Faith, and then equip bow/talisman in one hand and Silver Catalyst in the other, with the Avarice Ring and the ring that gives you an extra Magic Memorization slot, plus the Silver Bracer if you are female.

Memorization list: Soul Thirst/Soulsucker(or Firestorm if you don't have Soulsucker), Evacuate.

Get to Pure Black world tendency in Shrine of Storms, start at the 3rd archway, and run backwards. Bow down the Reaper on the way, and then use Soul Thirst just before the Black Phantom. Walk up to him(if you run you'll aggro him). Use Firestorm or Soulsucker(NG+ only). Run off the cliff to start the process again. When you want to cash out, use Evacuate instead.

This takes me roughly 5 minutes per run, and using Firestorm in normal I get 30K or so per run, using Soulsucker in NG+ I'm getting 92K souls per run.

You can make it go faster by getting Int to 35, which is enough to use all three spells when you have the Silver Catalyst equipped. You can kill the Reaper with other methods, but I prefer the bow due to the Phantom next to the Reaper who can magic beam of death you if you get unlucky.

This is also arguably the best way to farm a Pure Bladestone, if you need one for some reason, as the Black Phantom does have a chance to drop one.

Note that if you do this, you need to get away from Pure Black World Tendency before you advance to the next level of NG+, because Black Phantom Satsuki is nearly impossible to kill if you don't.

Last edited:

Chiggs

There is a 3rd vendor you unlock in 1-3 as well, who sells you the BIGGEST spells.

Mmm, my preferred method for a mage is to get 30+ Intelligence, 10 Faith, and then equip bow/talisman in one hand and Silver Catalyst in the other, with the Avarice Ring and the ring that gives you an extra Magic Memorization slot, plus the Silver Bracer if you are female.

Memorization list: Soul Thirst/Soulsucker(or Firestorm if you don't have Soulsucker), Evacuate.

Get to Pure Black world tendency in Shrine of Storms, start at the 3rd archway, and run backwards. Bow down the Reaper on the way, and then use Soul Thirst just before the Black Phantom. Walk up to him(if you run you'll aggro him). Use Firestorm or Soulsucker(NG+ only). Run off the cliff to start the process again. When you want to cash out, use Evacuate instead.

This takes me roughly 5 minutes per run, and using Firestorm in normal I get 30K or so per run, using Soulsucker in NG+ I'm getting 92K souls per run.

You can make it go faster by getting Int to 35, which is enough to use all three spells when you have the Silver Catalyst equipped. You can kill the Reaper with other methods, but I prefer the bow due to the Phantom next to the Reaper who can magic beam of death you if you get unlucky.

Note that if you do this, you need to get away from Pure Black World Tendency before you advance to the next level of NG+, because Black Phantom Satsuki is nearly impossible to kill if you don't.

I like it, but your method is advanced and there's more risk and setup involved. Any magic schmuck can jump right into mine.

Portugeezer

Best Soul Farming Method for Magic Users

Required Items/Weapons/Spells
  • Bow and arrows (preferably 100)
  • Soul Ray
  • Ring of Avarice
  • Thief Ring
  • Fresh Spice (if your MP is low)

Process:
  1. Spawn in.
  2. Run up stairs and position yourself at the edge of the pit.
  3. Use Soul Ray on Katana Skeleton (keep suitable distance).
  4. Jump back down pit and run outside.
  5. Shoot two Mantas with Soul Ray.
  6. Run into Reaper chamber.
  7. Drop down to bottom floor and immediately run outside to the right ledge.
  8. Shoot middle skeleton with 1 arrow; he will immediately roll off the cliffside.
  9. Run back to the Reaper chamber room.
  10. Shoot and kill Reaper with arrows.

This process takes approximately 3-4 minutes and will net roughly 10k souls. Do it 20-30 times. Time to power level.
What about for melee scum like me? How to farm souls quickly?

Sinthor

Gold Member
20 vit, 19 end and 30 str.

I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and 3-1 so far. About to do 4.1 for easy souls farming in 4-2

With crushing axe I have 88 plus 48 bonus attack in physical atk. With crescent scimitar it gives me 67 physical but also 82 +9 in magic attack.

With that in mind it gives me 157 attack power for scimitar and 136 with crushing axe
Well, you really need to finish 2-2 and 2-3. Then you'll be able to upgrade weapons enhanced for strength with materials. Also will get you that crushing great sword I mentioned. Basically, world 2 should be finished as soon as possible so you can upgrade weapons and get weapons from the boss souls.

bronk

Banned
Apologies for any lower level people going for the Old Monk tonight. My lvl 30 char got firestorm and I had to test it out, while I suicided in 2-2 to get the world to black tendency so I could get the talisman of beasts. I was the a$$hole that was hitting you with firestorm once you got in the boss fight room. One shot kills. I did make sure that no one was repeated...that only happened once and then I let them kill me since I'd already wrecked them one! I forgot how awesome Firestorm is in this game. I wanted to use fireball instead to have the ranged option but instead went with the lava bow and firestorm. Yikes!
That must be a thing. Someone tried to do that to me, followed by proper destruction of that weak magic bastard.

Sinthor

Gold Member
That must be a thing. Someone tried to do that to me, followed by proper destruction of that weak magic bastard.

Yes, fortunately a lot of people don't know how to properly use firestorm. AND, of course, people that know how to avoid that...at least most of the time.

I like it, but your method is advanced and there's more risk and setup involved. Any magic schmuck can jump right into mine.
Since my method is best done in NG+ or beyond anyway, while it's advanced none of it requires doing much you wouldn't do anyway, unless you just never found/unlocked the spell vendors.

And FWIW I basically used a modified version of your method to get to the 30+ int to begin with.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Allant on NG+ is breaking my balls 💀
My big advice is to be far away from him and let him come to you with his charge attack. Dodge that and do a 1-2 hits then back away from him.

His close range attack are really fast and hard to react to it.

Bartski

Gold Member
My big advice is to be far away from him and let him come to you with his charge attack. Dodge that and do a 1-2 hits then back away from him.

His close range attack are really fast and hard to react to it.

I did it.

Dodge, 2 hit combo, bail, interrupt AOE with soul ray, repeat.

The mistake before I was trying to shield his charge (Dark Silver +5) but that gave me chip damage and left me with very little stamina so I was constantly on the defensive. I'm at VIT 20 which is crazy low for NG+ and one direct hit from him kills me at full health. He's got tons of health himself, I tried with blue summon but that doubles it so it's actually way more doable solo. gg, NG++ here I come!

Malakhov

Banned
Well, you really need to finish 2-2 and 2-3. Then you'll be able to upgrade weapons enhanced for strength with materials. Also will get you that crushing great sword I mentioned. Basically, world 2 should be finished as soon as possible so you can upgrade weapons and get weapons from the boss souls.
Will try to finish them next then

I finished 3-1 and 4-1 this afternoon. I wanted to be able to use the 4-2 souls farming method so now that's unlocked I'll go finish world 2 for a new weapon.

I used the soul farming a bit from4-2 and I am now up to 30 vit, 20 end and 30 str. It'll help a lot

This evening I'm playing some tsushima, I'm drained from demon's souls, quite an intensive game

Last edited:
Anyone else find the 3d audio slightly misleading sometimes? Like you can hear a sound coming from a direction but the direction is ever so slightly off? It's an interesting conundrum to run into, especially with the gargoyles in 3-2.

Also, I'm playing as Knight build and I don't seem to be able to have anything to spend my boss souls on. They're all just sitting in my storage bank not being used. Might have to wiki these to figure out what I can do with them. Should finish 3 completely today (I love the pvp boss fight that is so cool) and then it will be on to either 4 or 5. I might try a run through 4-2 but maybe I'll give 5-1 a go first.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Anyone else find the 3d audio slightly misleading sometimes? Like you can hear a sound coming from a direction but the direction is ever so slightly off? It's an interesting conundrum to run into, especially with the gargoyles in 3-2.

yeah, it's far from perfect but the tech is there, it's just a bit dodgy just like animation and graphics can be sometimes. Some areas just sound crazy good and it really works, for example, in all dragon encounters... IMO it just sows room for improvement in design and implementation

About the best I can come up with for melee is to enter then 4-2 archstone and quickly kill the Reaper and the guy behind the hidden wall to the left of the Reaper, while using the Ring of Avarice and the Silver Bracer (if female body-type).

If people have not done so, it's worth it to change your body type to female using the statue just to use the bracer. It irks me that there is no male equivalent (although there is Male only armor, none of it has a +souls effect).

Jooxed

Gold Member
I know it’s not much but I beat my first boss in my first souls game!

P65HvXY.jpg

Malakhov

Banned
Best souls farming is 4-2. Get in, jump down and snipe the reaper, get 5k souls. Run back and suicide from the ledge. Then get back to reaper and collect your souls, snipe reaper, another 5k souls, suicide etc.. rinse and repeat

Sinthor

Gold Member
Will try to finish them next then

I finished 3-1 and 4-1 this afternoon. I wanted to be able to use the 4-2 souls farming method so now that's unlocked I'll go finish world 2 for a new weapon.

I used the soul farming a bit from4-2 and I am now up to 30 vit, 20 end and 30 str. It'll help a lot

This evening I'm playing some tsushima, I'm drained from demon's souls, quite an intensive game

Check the site below out. You can look at all the weapons as well as boss weapons and figure out what you want. You really can do this game with anything from a little dagger, all the way through a great sword or bow. It's up to you. Part of what makes these games so awesome.

I've killed the first black skeleton in 4-1 over forty times with no luck.

Fuck. I swear I read somewhere that the black skeletons in 4-1 drop pure bladestone. I just double-checked and read that it's a very rare drop from the black skeleton behind the illusory wall right after the adjudicator archstone. I just got it on my first try.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Fuck. I swear I read somewhere that the black skeletons in 4-1 drop pure bladestone. I just double-checked and read that it's a very rare drop from the black skeleton behind the illusory wall right after the adjudicator archstone. I just got it on my first try.
Wow, good for you! That IS really rare. Lucky day!

Tmack

You can farm the rolling skeletons in 4-1 for exp and get crescent falcon there. It is very helpful at the start of the game.

I am 30str, my crushing axe is still not better than crescent falcon, at what point strenght will a weapon outclass it? Also got a claymore from a random drop and it won't outdamage falcon and it's slow as hell.

Initially I tought I had to follow a specific order to play. I`m going for srenght build also (i guess that`s what i mean lol) and will look for the Falcon next, thanks for the tip.

Btw, just beat after only god knows how many hours my second boss, the Tower Knight.... wth, took me forever just to reach him. Was constantly dying to the two big guys before the boss... After many hours i was able to reach him most of the time to just die, and die, and die. lol

Questions:

- Should i always sunk my souls into lvlups, right?

2AdEPT

What are the best weapons for a soul mage?
Any suggestions?
The Crescent path is popular early game for the mana regen and the crescent falchion is just there for the taking in 4-1, but you will get more magic power from moonlightstone, not moonshadowstone like on the falchion....LOL pretty confusing, even confused me as a vet at first! There is a partially upgraded moon sword found on the ledge of the maneaters boss fight but you can go that path with any weapon you want. Again to be clear you can get MORE magic power with Moon weapons as the game developer figures that the mana regen thing is a big value so it scales less damage off magic with Crescent weapons than with Moon.
Requote for help. Do I bother upgrading crushing axe or I can get something better soon?

You need to get pretty far in the upgrade path and have lts of strength. also when you test the falchion vs. the crushing, a certian type of enemy might be prone to magic and reslient to blunt etc. so you cant always be sure the enemy you are testing on is a good test. THe mobs in 1-1 are usually a decent test.
If your question is about the skip being removed I concur, it needs to stay in there...so useful..... I actually think it was put there on purpose...look at the eroded stones in the video below just in the right place to let you up ...not an accident IMO. If the stones were not eroded the skip wouldnt work........but if you or others dont know about it:

Same place just bring a big or fast weapon, those repears die fast but also deal big damage. Drop down onthe first reaper from the stairs on the left.
I've killed the first black skeleton in 4-1 over forty times with no luck.
LOL - here is my reaction getting it first try by accident.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Questions:

- Should i always sunk my souls into lvlups, right?
Repairs and arrows as well, lots of them. Get a bow and upgrade it to +7. It will help a ton as a melee strenght fighter

Did you start as knight templar? I'd also recommend raising your faith up a little bit (16) for some good faiths to cure poison/plague, evacuation and second chance

Malakhov

Banned
Same place just bring a big or fast weapon, those repears die fast but also deal big damage. Drop down onthe first reaper from the stairs on the left.
LOL - here is my reaction getting it first try by accident.

As a melee fighter with a bow +7 I can three shots them from above then suicide and repeat.

Can't say it enough, a bow is a must for a melee character

Sinthor

Gold Member
As a melee fighter with a bow +7 I can three shots them from above then suicide and repeat.

I think the bow is a must for ALL. Helps you pull individuals from groups of enemies, at the least. Longer range than anything else as well. VERY useful. Plus, shooting treasure down from the ceiling.. :)

2AdEPT

I always carry a bow no matter what character I use. Its just part of souls games for me. I felt out of place without a proper one in Sekiro and Bloodborne. Especially for the first time in a new area if it looks like there are too many enemies clumped together I either take them out or at least kite them over if Im going full melee. 1-3 is like that in more than two spots and Ive never gone through there wthout my trusty compound long bow upgraded or not.

Azaroth

Just realized there is no way to delete a specific saved character file in the game. Only option is to delete your save file at the system settings level, which deletes all your characters and all saved settings. Wow, seems like quite an oversight. I have no idea if there's a limit to the number of saved characters you can have, but it sure would be nice to be able to delete just one character save if one just wanted to clean up the "Load" screen of specific saves they no longer want. Very odd, every other Souls game had this option from what I remember.

Top Bottom