• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Malakhov

Banned
I restarted the game as a knight templar instead of royalty, I want to go with a pure strenght build. I went to 4-1 to get the crescent scimitar right after 1-1 and got the crushing axe from 2-1 as well which I think once upgraded you can do a good run with it? I have 20 vitality, 15 endurance and 20 strenght. I should aim for 30 strenght and then upgrade what after that?

I cheesed the dragon for that purple shield and strenght ring as well.

The crescent scimitar helps so much at the start of the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yersterday i killed Flamelurker. I never understood why people say this boss is hard. In the original game i killed him with magic, yesterday i was exploring 2-2 without intention of killing him right away, was not even with the appropriate items and consumables and yet i managed to kill him using only melee attacks, a Kilij+3 without any buff.

It's more like 40-50 hours, unless you remember everything about the game.

Bosses are not gimmicky, it's the same as the rest of the Soulsborne series. I would say the only difference is that in the other games the player have more tools to be OP early, DS has a more focused scope and you have to use the tools the game gives you.
Thanks but it's too late...i already bought the game like 30 min ago :ROFLMAO:

Good news tho.

Yersterday i killed Flamelurker. I never understood why people say this boss is hard. In the original game i killed him with magic, yesterday i was exploring 2-2 without intention of killing him right away, was not even with the appropriate items and consumables and yet i managed to kill him using only melee attacks, a Kilij+3 without any buff.
People say he's hard because he's hard. You just happen to be really good at it, either due to reflexes or it just feeling natural to you for whatever reason.

I don't know why Souls games attract that attitude so heavily though. You can not find a boss in a Souls which doesn't have somebody saying "I just don't get why people think he's hard!" A boss in Dark Souls 4 could have a 99% chance of an undodgable arena wide insta-kill and someone would be all "I don't know why people complain about this fight, I breezed right through".

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So glad with my new faith build that I went to Valley of Defilement and got the Moonlight sword early in game. It melts through all the fire salamanders and mining mud guys in world 2 like a hot knife through butter. I haven’t even started levelling it yet. Also this sword is glowing all the time so it adds to the light acting almost like a torch. Fucking love this sword.

Love how this game just massively opens up once you kill the Phalanx. You can really complete any world at that point, aside from the first. That’s probably the most open their games have ever been.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
you can do it! some beginners tips:

- every item you pick up is instantly and forever in your inventory. so suicide runs to grab items are cool.
- don't worry about dying. i have fought bosses for hours on end before beating them. every death you learn more.
- levels usually work by having a main route that ends by going to the boss gate and also opening a shortcut back to the start. this makes it so you can usually just run by every enemy and speed run to boss fights. the first level gets that points across pretty well.
- save up for the Heater shield and use that. it has 100% physical defense, meaning it will block anything blockable. not all shields are 100% so you get chip damage from them, but this will block anything.
- start out by taking it one enemy at a time. easiest way to fight in the beginning is by holding up your shield, letting them hit you, then killing them after you block their attack.
- think of this more as an RPG than as an action game. often the solution to an enemy or blocked part of the level is discoverable through exploring. when you hit a roadblock, take some time to explore. you can find new gear, upgrade equipment, healing items, shortcuts, etc. by exploring. you can find free souls all across the world as well, so exploring helps you level up.
- speaking of which, you will not be able to level up until you beat the first boss, The Phalanx. save all your firebombs for this fight and use them liberally on this boss. then use Pine Resin to coat your sword in fire, two-hand it, and gouge away to victory.
- VIT will level your health, END your stamina as well as equipment weight tolerance (more END means you can wear heavier armor). the ratio affects your roll speed and anything below 50% is good for rolling.
- save your boss souls, give them to Stockpile Thomas, because later you can use them to obtain spells and rare weapons. feel free to consume any other anonymous souls you find before levelling.

Thank you for this. I am determined to get good at this game. One of my RL friends also suggested starting over as a royalty class to help me get used to souls games?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Beat the 1-2 Tower Knight boss, finally. Went up the stairs and took out the ranged guys, then timed my magic arrow attack for when he attacked. Took a while to get the rhythm down, but I finally took him out. This is great because now I can farm those couple of blue eyed knights right before the 1-3 archstone for tons of grass.

I'm also starting to get the lay of the land in 4-1. I got passed the first fog bank, but got totally wrecked by some skellys with giant swords.

JimiNutz

Banned
Thank you for this. I am determined to get good at this game. One of my RL friends also suggested starting over as a royalty class to help me get used to souls games?

Our glorious leader EviLore EviLore suggested that this wasn't a good idea because the reliance on magic means that you probably won't develop the necessary combat skills and understanding of the combat mechanics.

I'm sure it makes the game easier picking Royalty class but I've had a lot of fun gitting good by playing as Knight and am glad I made that choice.
I've never really been a fan of magic use though so maybe it'll suit you - I also heard it doesn't really matter that much which starting class you pick as you can mould your character to your own liking as you progress.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Beat the 1-2 Tower Knight boss, finally. Went up the stairs and took out the ranged guys, then timed my magic arrow attack for when he attacked. Took a while to get the rhythm down, but I finally took him out. This is great because now I can farm those couple of blue eyed knights right before the 1-3 archstone for tons of grass.

I'm also starting to get the lay of the land in 4-1. I got passed the first fog bank, but got totally wrecked by some skellys with giant swords.

A future tip for Tower Knight with Soul Arrow: it's far faster and easier to get up close and to stay behind him much how you would if using melee. His back is a huge and easy target and you can shoot him down extremely fast. No need to time your attacks with his.

Shrine of Storms is the world with one of the hardest mobs/regular enemies, while it has the overall easiest bosses IMO. This world with Pure Black tendency is also extremely difficult in specific sections.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
hwyLerl.png

Valonquar

Basically:
When you kill a world boss or kill black phantoms you get closer to light in that world. Killing 3 bosses should bring you to full light unless you did anything negative.
When you die in human form or kill an NPC or invade another player's world and kill them, you get closer to the dark in that world. Usually dying 3 or 4 times in a world will bring you to full dark.

Character tendency is a bit more of a PITA. Getting full dark is as easy as running around killing NPCs everywhere or invading a lot. Full white, do all the Pure White world quests and also drop blue stones to get summoned and help other players beat boss.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Our glorious leader EviLore EviLore suggested that this wasn't a good idea because the reliance on magic means that you probably won't develop the necessary combat skills and understanding of the combat mechanics.

I'm sure it makes the game easier picking Royalty class but I've had a lot of fun gitting good by playing as Knight and am glad I made that choice.
I've never really been a fan of magic use though so maybe it'll suit you - I also heard it doesn't really matter that much which starting class you pick as you can mould your character to your own liking as you progress.

To be fair, just using magic on its own is a bit dull. I’m finding myself mixing between magic and melee, even though I’m only really boosting my magic stat (crescent falchion ftw).

Arthimura

The starting class is more important just to give the player a quick start in the desired gameplay style, and in the case of min-maxing, it's important to choose an appropriate class to not waste points in attributes you won't use.

I concilidate magic and melee, i like to be something like a swordsman that can uses magic. Even for melee builds you can get some advantage by having some magic/faith, because you will be able to use some buffs like Protection, Regeneration and buff your weapon.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
To be fair, just using magic on its own is a bit dull. I’m finding myself mixing between magic and melee, even though I’m only really boosting my magic stat (crescent falchion ftw).

Yeah I imagine most people must use a mix? If I manage to beat the game once then I do intend to replay using a more magic based character. I'd like to do a Dex character as well next time.

The starting class is more important just to give the player a quick start in the desired gameplay style, and in the case of min-maxing, it's important to choose an appropriate class to not waste points in attributes you won't use.

I concilidate magic and melee, i like to be something like a swordsman that can uses magic. Even for melee builds you can get some advantage by having some magic/faith, because you will be able to use some buffs like Protection, Regeneration and buff your weapon.

I've gone for a swordsman also and do have the regeneration miracle as well, although I can only use it twice before all of my blue bar depletes. I may invest in some more miracles later on in the game.

Maybe Temple Knight would have been better for my first playthrough but I preferred the look of the Knight.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah I imagine most people must use a mix? If I manage to beat the game once then I do intend to replay using a more magic based character. I'd like to do a Dex character as well next time.

Dex builds are my usual bread and butter with Souls games. Have you played Dark Souls? If not, I thoroughly recommend a Dex build with the uchigatana.

Ar¢tos

People say he's hard because he's hard. You just happen to be really good at it, either due to reflexes or it just feeling natural to you for whatever reason.

I don't know why Souls games attract that attitude so heavily though. You can not find a boss in a Souls which doesn't have somebody saying "I just don't get why people think he's hard!" A boss in Dark Souls 4 could have a 99% chance of an undodgable arena wide insta-kill and someone would be all "I don't know why people complain about this fight, I breezed right through".
I did world 2 today. Flamelurker went down on the 1st try. All his attacks were kinda slow, predictable and easy to dodge. Killing Dragon God with the stupid God Hands (without stats for them) was 20x more annoying. Took 20 min...

Last edited:
I just keep getting blown away by this game. If this is a sign of things to come this generation I feel like we’re finally there with graphics.

The tower of Latria is so damn beautiful. Some of the gothic architecture really just gives me incredible Warhammer vibes.

Feeling pretty good about my progress as well and think I’m starting to get into the end game.

I have a dragon long sword +5, quality winged spear +5, crescent falchion +5 lava bow and steel shield +9 as my main gear. Just picked up the gloom armour from the guy in the cell also. Man those screaming enemies at the bottom of the tower are creepy AF! Loving it.

I have defeated the last fair few bosses on my first try. Tower Knight, Check. Penetrator, Check. Adjudicator, semi check (second try but first time I wasn’t really trying just looking). Fools Idol, Check. Maneater, Check.

I even got through 3-2 with only one stupid death and I feel it should have been avoided I chased an enemy over an edge near the crystal lizard after the black phantom mind flayer and got a fall death that was totally not a fall death distance it was just built that way into the game. Feeling like I’m getting pretty good. Or maybe I’m just over levelled I don’t know it’s like once you understand how to play this game it’s really not that hard after all.

I haven’t even visited the swamps yet but planning to do that today after / if I can’t complete Latria.

the lava bow is serious awesome thing to have. Plus I learned a healing spell so I’ve barely been using any grasses so have just so many stocked up I think I might even be maxed out.

This is a remake. What a freakin game!!! I think it’s going to be in my top 5 games of all time now. I am a souls convert (perhaps from software) but i dunno if I can play those game’s at 30 frames so I may need to get them on pc and that’s going to take a pc upgrade uggg. Going to have to go back and try some more of these games.

For my NG+ play through I’m going to try and mix in a little bit more magic. I wonder how much harder it will get but it will be fun to have an all rounder I think. This time I’ve been strength, endurance and vitality with a bit of dex but no magic at all.

Last edited:

Antelope

I feel like this game is schooling me worse than Genichiro or Martyr Logarius. The bosses have been pretty simple, but I have an embarrassing amount of world deaths. 5-2 especially is eating me alive.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I feel like this game is schooling me worse than Genichiro or Martyr Logarius. The bosses have been pretty simple, but I have an embarrassing amount of world deaths. 5-2 especially is eating me alive.

5-2 is pretty much universally regarded as the nastiest level in the game. It's torture.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Dex builds are my usual bread and butter with Souls games. Have you played Dark Souls? If not, I thoroughly recommend a Dex build with the uchigatana.

No, never played any of the Dark Souls games.

I've played a decent amount of Sekiro and a bit of Bloodborne but Demon's Souls is my first real proper attempt at beating a Souls game.

I do intend to go back to Sekiro once I've hopefully beaten Demon's Souls.
I will go back to Bloodborne too at some point but am hoping/waiting that they patch it for PS5.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
No, never played any of the Dark Souls games.

I've played a decent amount of Sekiro and a bit of Bloodborne but Demon's Souls is my first real proper attempt at beating a Souls game.

I do intend to go back to Sekiro once I've hopefully beaten Demon's Souls.
I will go back to Bloodborne too at some point but am hoping/waiting that they patch it for PS5.

Ooh... you really should play Dark Souls if you’re enjoying Demon’s. It refines and improves just about everything.

I’m loving my run through, but I’m reminded again and again just how next level Dark Souls is beyond this game in terms of level design, world building, boss fights, gameplay and storyline.

There are moments in Dark Souls that are absolutely unparalleled.

Arthimura

Ooh... you really should play Dark Souls if you’re enjoying Demon’s. It refines and improves just about everything.

I’m loving my run through, but I’m reminded again and again just how next level Dark Souls is beyond this game in terms of level design, world building, boss fights, gameplay and storyline.

There are moments in Dark Souls that are absolutely unparalleled.

Dark Souls is great, but honestly i think Demon's Souls is better.

There's something special about the atmosphere, story, characters and level design from Demon's Souls, that i feel it was somewhat lost in Dark Souls.

On a note, my first Soulsborne game was Dark Souls, i played through it blind and after that i did the entire content in a second playthrough. Then i went to play Demon's Souls and was impressed by how better it felt to me.

The only thing i would say it's better in Dark Souls is one or another addition in the gameplay, like plunge attacks and jumps. And maybe the amount of content, but even that i would not count necessary as an advantage because some of the content is uninspired, while every world in Demon's Souls feels special and handcrafted.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
5-x is a joke now that you can actually see all items in the swamp without all the damn mist.

also, I just platinumd this sucker twice now. Best game of all time, not counting ffvii

jshackles

I'm an idiot and just now realized that you can click on the trackpad to open like a "quick inventory". Handy!

Malakhov

Banned
I accidentally backstabbed osvaldo in 1-1 and he agroed on me, had to finish the level with the idiot chasing me down

Then he was nowhere to be seen in 2-1

Is that guy important? Don't really want to restart again

Ogbert

Got to be honest, this black phantom satsuki fight is really starting to get on my tits now. I can take being one shot, but him healing back to full after ten minutes of boring circling is getting fucking boring.

Danny 117

I find 4-2 the most difficult so far (although I haven't been into 5 at all yet) it's the Manta's that are the killers. Damn I hate those guys!
Yeah it’s a pretty unforgiving area. I have been having a great time helping people out there with my glass-cannon mage, one-shotting the end-boss of the area with firestorm never gets old :messenger_sun:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just took down Flamelurker with the Large Sword of Moonlight. it worked very well, stun locking him quite often, leading to big big chunks of damage everytime i got a swing in.

it's a pain to dodge his attacks cos the fire will still get ya, you have to be constantly monitoring your health and keeping it up. using the Ring of HP Regen really helps!

Arthimura

I accidentally backstabbed osvaldo in 1-1 and he agroed on me, had to finish the level with the idiot chasing me down

There is an interesting questline involving him. How far are you into the game?

Malakhov

Banned
There is an interesting questline involving him. How far are you into the game?
I've beat 3 bosses so far, got my crescent scimitar, killed red dragon. My 2nd time since I restarted as a pure strenght build instead of magic. Really don't want to start again a third time.

Will I miss out on some good items?

Skeletron

In my game he killed himself. Apparently you have to baby sit him even after clearing the area or he starts fighting again on his own every time they respawn. And even after that in 1-2 there's a possibility he'll die on his own.

I gather there's a quest later for a sword named Demonbrandt that you won't be able to do without a key he gives you, but I can't be bothered. Plenty of other swords in the game. I'll try to keep his dumb ass alive on a second playthrough down the line.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
In my game he killed himself. Apparently you have to baby sit him even after clearing the area or he starts fighting again on his own every time they respawn. And even after that in 1-2 there's a possibility he'll die on his own.

I gather there's a quest later for a sword named Demonbrandt that you won't be able to do without a key he gives you, but I can't be bothered. Plenty of other swords in the game. I'll try to keep his dumb ass alive on a second playthrough down the line.
Just went back to 1-1 and he was there and still mad at me and trying to kill me so I killed him and got the key

Skeletron

Just went back to 1-1 and he was there and still mad at me and trying to kill me so I killed him and got the key
Lmao well there you go! Easy. In my case I didn't realize he had killed himself until leaving the area and not finding him in 1-2 so the key he dropped had disappeared. Motherfucker!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Got to be honest, this black phantom satsuki fight is really starting to get on my tits now. I can take being one shot, but him healing back to full after ten minutes of boring circling is getting fucking boring.
Not sure what your build is, but he can be easily beaten with a weapon that staggers him. Just keep close to him and attacking with R1 (for example I was using the Large Sword of Moonlight) and it staggered him until he died. Never had a chance to heal.

2AdEPT

Every time.

Why do I listen to him???

Cause he has the best prices for heavy arrows in the nexus!
as others have mentiond you need to stun lock him so he cant heal. You can take a good chunk of his health off with a parry or backstab as well.

Edit: Here is the video

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

5-x is a joke now that you can actually see all items in the swamp without all the damn mist.

also, I just platinumd this sucker twice now. Best game of all time, not counting ffvii
How did you manage to get enough stones of ephemeral eyes?
I've been killing myself in world 2 instead of the nexus because there are no important pwwt events there now (then after I finish 3 and do pwwt events there I'll start suiciding in 3) but I think I'm going to need to "artificially" turn 3 worlds into pbwt, and then do it again for the primeval demons.
Unless... Is it possible to kill a primeval demon, like in 2-1 and the warp to 2-2 instead of the nexus to kill the BP scirvir?
Does wt refresh when you change area or only when you go to the nexus?

Top Bottom