• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls on PS5 will allow choice between fidelity and frame rate.

Mr Hyde

Yep, platted the game from start to finish entirely in single player.

Demon's is the only game in the series I haven't platted. Pure Bladestone farming killed it for me. I hope Bluepoint has softened the drop rate on this. And reworked the spawn rate for crystal lizards.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Demon's is the only game in the series I haven't platted. Pure Bladestone farming killed it for me. I hope Bluepoint has softened the drop rate on this. And reworked the spawn rate for crystal lizards.

The Pure Bladestone farming made it easier in single player, because all you need to do a shift to phase Pure Black and farm the dual wield BP in 4.2.

Was taking me days until I did Pure Black, and then I got it in half a day after that I believe.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But this is a "remake" not a "remaster" as far as I can tell.

It seems like Bluepoint and Japan Studio are rebuilding it with entirely new assets. I mean look at the comparison videos - the extra geometry and textures in what was shown is a lot...

It’s a remake, in the same vein of Shadow of the Colossus.

the_master

I like consoles because the games just work, and they look and feel as the devs thought it was best.

Edit:
Some times I wish we could forget about 4K and make the games look way better in 1080p. In some years, 8k will require 4 times more polygons to be shaded. Making consoles waste more processing power just because of resolution but, again, not adding more quality.

We could have full ray traced incredibly detailed and rich games if we still where in 480p but we need about "16 times more power" to render the same game at more resolution

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Yeah, I saw this earlier.
Now I'm really excited. Would love this for as many exclusives as possible.

Also, if it's 4K/30, I don't think they'll need to go all the way down to 1080p for 60. I really don't want to have to play at 30 either way.

Also VRR makes targeting higher fps even more attractive for people with TVs that support it.
They would also need to drop ray tracing likely.

ethomaz

Banned
It’s a MP game? What?
It is a MP game.

Your world is based in what the others players are doing... and you can be invaded or invade others worlds any time.
That is why you can't pause when playing.

BTW I strong recommend to not turn off online features because one of the biggest surprises of the game (at time) can be only experienced with the online features on.

PS. Imagine others guys invading your world and when you fight them you realize your response is slower than the invasors because you are playing graphic mode lol

Consoles games should be simple... little to no options... now we are finally backing to the past no loading time devs wants to fuck us again with graphic/performance options.

Last edited:
Welcomed, but I'm a graphics nut at heart so. I'll definitely be trying 4k-30 first. That crisp image quality with all the extra bells and whistles. Give them to me.

mortal

Gold Member
1440p/60fps

CoordinatedEnergeticChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

I really hope fidelity means ray tracing in this case.

8k is likely going to be reserved for games that are either BC with updates or games taht are not very heavy on processing power.

8k is likely going to be reserved for UHD video playback/streaming. I don't think it's realistic to expect any sort of 8k gaming.

We could have full ray traced incredibly detailed and rich games if we still where in 480p but we need about "16 times more power" to render the same game at more resolution

lol. Are you actually arguing for 480p? Like it or not, as panel resolutions increase the source needs to as well or it looks like complete shit.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Cool to see the options on the half-gen consoles persist onto next-gen's base systems.

There's always going to be someone who prizes framerate over resolution, or vice versa, or even prefers to dial down both in favor of a boost to general visuals (Rise of the Tomb Raider). Giving people (well explained, simple) options is a nice change.

Portugeezer

I hope more games have these options on consoles. I swear especially with Souls games people moan about not 60fps. Now people finally will STFU and Play. The. Game.

O-N-E

Japanese games generally speaking have 3D models with more angles / straight edges than in the West, which favours more curves, rounded edges and chunk. Overall the shape language is more simple in Japanese games. It might be subtle to some people, but it's really obvious to me. I'm not into the change in the way they're approaching the model designs.

Also the environments... For some reason they decided to add overgrowth to everything? Some places were meant to look stark, without any greenery. They should've kept to the original DNA of the design.

Hopefully, they didn't get rid of that initial fluted armour set. It's iconic and looks awesome. No deal without that set.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really hope fidelity means ray tracing in this case.

It’s already been confirmed to have Ray tracing.

The way they described it with “fractured mode” in the original trailer description (before changing it), it almost sounds like you can switch modes on the fly while playing.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
All things even, If you are doubling the amount of pixels To display each frame, then you need to halve the resolution to get the same result?

1080p is 1/4 the resolution.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think they may manage more than 1080p 60fps.....

I wouldn’t be shocked with 1440p reconstructed to 4K with 60fps.

People (me included) didn’t expect all those 4K native games with ray tracing that were shown on Thursday.

Last edited:
It’s already been confirmed to have Ray tracing.

The way they described it with “fractured mode” in the original trailer description (before changing it), it almost sounds like you can switch modes on the fly while playing.

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant was I hope fidelity means ray tracing on and ray tracing off could still allow 4k/60fps. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
So, do we have to choose one between shadows and ray-tracing also? As in only one of them can be turned on at a given time?

IMO the real question is if a locked 60FPS even exists for this game.

A locked 30fps for "fidelity mode" is pretty much guaranteed ( hopefully with good framepacing ).

But "performance mode" is kind of vague and MIGHT just mean an unlocked framerate that's allowed to flail around wildly between 30 and 60fps. Hopefully this is not the case.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IMO the real question is if a locked 60FPS even exists for this game.

A locked 30fps for "fidelity mode" is pretty much guaranteed ( hopefully with good framepacing ).

But "performance mode" is kind of vague and MIGHT just mean an unlocked framerate that's allowed to flail around wildly between 30 and 60fps. Hopefully this is not the case.

True, but I feel Bluepoint will do right by this and not half ass it with just unlocked framerate.

Wouldn’t worry about frame pacing since this is built in their in house engine and that was never an issue, nice and smooth with SotC remake.

cireza

Developers aren't even trying to use the SSD it seems ! Otherwise you would not have to choose between 4k and 60fps, as the thing does magic if I believe what PS experts were saying.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Hop on the the private server and get someone to drop it for you. It's easy, just a DNS change in the console settings.
I wasn't gonna let a coding error stop me from getting the only trophy I was missing, so I did it this way.

i knew 4k 60fps by default was too good to be true

this is almost conditioning console consumers into being pc gamers lol

maybe next gen playstation 5 and xbox 4 will be straight up pcs

xsx is almost like a mini itx as it is lol

mcjmetroid

I'm all for choices but isn't the point of a next generation system the fact that we no longer should HAVE to make choices like this?

Dontero

Banned
Also the environments... For some reason they decided to add overgrowth to everything? Some places were meant to look stark, without any greenery. They should've kept to the original DNA of the design.

No they were not. They simply didn't have enough budget to put them there. Boletaria is supposed to be fallen kingdom in state of decay.

NoviDon

The GI looks so good in this game. It adds an eerie and mysterious atmosphere to the game that I think is stylistically key to blueprints vision. there is no way I'm playing a scaled back or baked in lighting version for the higher frame rate. Maybe on a second playthrough but we're going full eye candy day 1.

xrnzaaas

I can't tell if the 'why no 4k/60fps in every game' are troll posts or not.

Personally I don't mind if the game offers two modes for people with different preferences. Just don't make it a whole list of graphics settings, because I don't want to waste time finding the optimal settings when I'm playing on a console.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I can't tell if the 'why no 4k/60fps in every game' are troll posts or not.

Personally I don't mind if the game offers two modes for people with different preferences. Just don't make it a whole list of graphics settings, because I don't want to waste time finding the optimal settings when I'm playing on a console.

Exactly... I personally buy console games for the promise behind a single fixed HW specs and games fully optimised for it, not for devs to just leave a fancy GUI for their configs options and let me optimise it. I want devs to do the work, only things I see reasons for configs options are things such as brightness calibration, rumble on/off options, control remapping, FOV control, etc... things like that. The rest screams a bit of loss of focus.

Top Bottom