• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls on PS5 to have more than 180 tutorial videos

Seems as senseless as an easy mode. If From is not confortable with an easy difficulty setting I dont see how they can go and do this. 'Cause I mean... 180?!! There is bound to be a lot of spoilers there. Which is as detrimental to the so-called 'Soulsborne' experience as the lack of challenge; at least to me.

Exploration and discovery, in my opinion, is as important to the 'formula' as the ordeal these games are.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I knew there would be easy mode. This is close enough.

When the game comes out and someone goes through all the videos, I bet it's going to be tons of demos of how to beat each monster and boss.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm so god damn sick of this difficulty arguments every time we get new Souls games.....every fucking time.

tenor.gif

Great Hair

Banned
Immersion doesn’t end with sensory feedback. “Demon’s Souls,” a famously punishing game, will make use of the PS5′s activities UI, which offers helpful tips regarding certain tasks. Moore says there are over 180 videos, each with increasing levels of visibility into what’s needed to complete portions of the game, available via the interface.

Is this too hard, too complicated?

- each game gets "daily tasks cards" based on your level, progression"
- are you doing one? Are stuck? Watch said helpful tip, 180x for Demon´s Souls

All of which have been shown, talked about on during that "PlayStation direct about the UI".

Orta

Banned
Sounds like Sony knows the average casual who buys this at launch will be overwhelmed by the difficulty and will likely chuck it to one side or return it to the store. They'll hate it.

For gaming geeks like us its a thing of beauty, but its not a system selling launch title for the masses.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I prefer to do a rage quit in "1-1" (in front of that damn castle) and live in shame for 6 months before returning to conquer it, rather than watching 180 videos.
Cool beans, so don’t watch the videos then.

This is an OPTION for people who want some help. It’s entirely, well, optional.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Isnt this pretty much as a little walkthrough videos on youtube? But instead of opening YT, you do it from PS5 UI. If that's the case it's no big deal really.

It is better because you’ll not get spoilers and you don’t get the awful 9 minutes introduction to the 1 minute of the actual thing you want from the youtube video.

MastaKiiLA

This is good. Make the game more accessible. I'll be using YT guides for anything tricky that the dev videos don't assist with. There's no point releasing a niche launch game. Selling to a small percentage of a small userbase is a guaranteed way to not get another game of its kind from that developer. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there's a patch to introduce difficulty settings sometime down the road. Purists be damned. If you relish the added challenge, you can skip the videos. Many of us played Uncharted on the highest difficulty setting, in order to enjoy the challenge. But the game still remained easily accessible for lower-level players. It sold like gangbusters, and has resulted in a beloved franchise. Meanwhile, before this remake, some of you were wiling to suck dick in a dark alley to get another game in this style. You reap what you sow.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Selling to a small percentage of a small userbase is a guaranteed way to not get another game of its kind from that developer.
Demon's Souls considered niche back in 2009 but not anymore after the success of Dark Souls series.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamer 1: Cant wait to see a recap of cool monsters, bosses and items people post to the net

Gamer 2: Gimme an hour. I'll upload snippets of the tutorial videos

borborygmus

This sucks and I don't want it to exist. Frankly, I don't care for any effort to be spent making a game like this more accessible.

ITT people trying to signal how benevolent they are, "Golly gee, that way some more of the good folks will get to experience it, y'all!" 🤢

But no, it's not appropriate for this game and it's always a slippery slope.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I'm so god damn sick of this difficulty arguments every time we get new Souls games.....every fucking time.

tenor.gif

THIS !

I am always sad to see that Souls games are reduced to their difficulty. These games offer much more than just challenge.
Difficulty is the least of my concern when speaking about Soulsborne. Remove it and they remain the best games I've ever play.
Storytelling, lore, atmosphere, build diversity are just above everything else for me. Of course difficulty is part of the charm but not the biggest component for me.

Bartski

Gold Member
Not sure why should anyone be against that, seems like a perfect way to keep the game uncompromised while keeping those accessibility boxes ticked

farmerboy

This is a huge QOL addition. All from the UI, which is ingenious.

It keeps you engaged with the platform and game.

Umbral

I want to personally disable this feature for everyone who requested an easy mode just to deny you any assistance.

Green_Eyes

Souls games are about patience and observation. Don't blame your lack of patience on the game or imaginary 'crazy execution'.

Kssio_Aug

It is better because you’ll not get spoilers and you don’t get the awful 9 minutes introduction to the 1 minute of the actual thing you want from the youtube video.
I think the feature is great. I actually meant that it's no big deal in the sense of spoiling the experience, since you can look walkthroughs on youtube since forever now.

Spaceman292

Banned
Some gamers would never have survived the 80s gaming era. Every game owned your soul- and broken controllers.
They wouldn't survive because games from the 80s sucked.

Anyway I don't see this as a big deal. It existed for all the other Souls games - it's called youtube. This is basically the same as pulling up the youtube app on your playstation, except it's slightly quicker.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this as many people who play soul games end up going to the internet or YouTube if stuck.

OZ9000

Banned
pathetic.

souls games aren't even that difficult. i find them relaxing.

if you suck at it then it's not the games fault. it's yours. stop crying and play it properly.

This sucks and I don't want it to exist. Frankly, I don't care for any effort to be spent making a game like this more accessible.

ITT people trying to signal how benevolent they are, "Golly gee, that way some more of the good folks will get to experience it, y'all!" 🤢

But no, it's not appropriate for this game and it's always a slippery slope.
Dude it's a fucking video game, not the entrance exam to the country's top universities. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Isn't that what Youtube is for?

It's part of the new UI features for the PS5. I think every 1st party game will have them (and some 3rd party).

You need to be a PS+ subscriber to have access to them.

180 videos sounds like a lot on the face of it but we are yet to find out how many videos there will be for other games.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
pathetic.

souls games aren't even that difficult. i find them relaxing.

if you suck at it then it's not the games fault. it's yours. stop crying and play it properly.
Speedrunners don't start from scratch. They spend hours first imitating good runs they've seen on YouTube and watching how others achieved their times. The same goes for people who do no-hit runs, 1 credit clears, and so forth. I've watched hours of playthroughs for certain shmups to try to learn routes and figure out complicated patterns.

Why not put this type of information (albeit low-level information, too) at the fingertips of the player?

They still have to "git gud". Their fingers still have to push the buttons.

Just give me an easy mode, I'm old'ish and don't have the reflexes anymore.

It's not reflexes. Demon's Souls has mostly puzzle bosses and the easiest bosses in the series. It's more a cerebral experience.
They actually kinda made the game harder in this remake, as I believe they limited healing items. In original Demon's Souls you could have ridiculous amounts of healing.

You can also summon, getting people to join you in defeating the bosses. You can get a few hints about easiest progression from fellow gamers, including good early items (most of the first levels have some good equipment in them). The bigger enemy will be the environment, which you'll have to explore and master, including the various enemies you'll meet.

Even the later Souls games, which have far more twitch-like encounters, can still be beaten without going overboard with reflexes. Honestly, your ability to notice patterns and be able to choose the opportune moment to strike. The game has been finished on like numerous different controllers that severely limit reflexes.

Say you don't have the patience, sure, but it's definitely not about your reflexes going down as you're older.

regawdless

Banned
Curious what's exactly shown in those 180 videos. The first ones will show off controls, how items work etc. I think.

But what more? How to beat a boss, how to find a shortcut?

It's good that there's help for players who struggle. I just hope for them, that it doesn't take too much away from what made DeS great. The sense of discovery, slowly figuring out how certain systems work, what certain items do and a lot of mystery.
It may de-motivate some players to try to figure it out on their own, when the solution can be shown directly.
Still a neat idea and I'm sure it will help a lot of people to enjoy parts of the game to a certain extent.

I personally don't care because I won't use it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's part of the new UI features for the PS5. I think every 1st party game will have them (and some 3rd party).

You need to be a PS+ subscriber to have access to them.

180 videos sounds like a lot on the face of it but we are yet to find out how many videos there will be for other games.

Yeah 180 sound like a lot unless they have a video for every command in the game. Stuff like 2 second video of light attack, roll etc.

ruvikx

Banned
As long as they're not shoving this stuff in my face, it'll be okay (for example UI pop-ups or whatnot whenever I die saying "check this video for tips"). That would be obnoxious. I'll also emphatically say DON'T WATCH THE HELP VIDEOS to the people who've never really played a Souls game before. It'll ruin the experience.

I miss the days where games took weeks or even months to beat because of their difficulty and you had to figure out how to fight on your own. Beating the boss was its own reward.

I can imagine shareholders & CEO's would rather encourage the opposite model, i.e. "buy game, beat game as quickly as possible, buy next game, repeat".

iHaunter

For anyone asking, it's not going to be "On" by default, it's just part of the card system. You can choose to use it or not. I have ZERO issues with this existing.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Seems as senseless as an easy mode. If From is not confortable with an easy difficulty setting I dont see how they can go and do this. 'Cause I mean... 180?!! There is bound to be a lot of spoilers there. Which is as detrimental to the so-called 'Soulsborne' experience as the lack of challenge; at least to me.

Exploration and discovery, in my opinion, is as important to the 'formula' as the ordeal these games are.

Why is that in gaming, gatekeepers see themselves as some authority when in combat sports, gatekeepers are the guys send over to get smashed by the real contenders?

What I mean is, this gatekeeping you're doing? Yikes

borborygmus

Then just don't use it?
Why does it matter to you that exists for other people when you can just not use it?

It signals a lack of commitment to the game's design principles. It says: welcome to the Souls series, don't bother trying to learn how to be good at it.

A creator who is dedicated to the integrity of his work would not pander in this way. It's unbecoming and it weakens the confidence with which it's presented.

Social factors such as this are not quantifiable, e.g. "What does it matter to you if your girlfriend cheated on you?" And no, I'm not comparing this to something like that, I am just illustrating that looking at things mechanically misses some important factors. Mechanically, you're not affected, but there is an abstract effect that you are neglecting.

It's like a top chef doing commercials for McDonalds. Mechanically "it doesn't affect the food he makes bruh." But it's unbecoming and diminishes the intangible value of his craft.

In general, "you can't tell the difference" is a poor argument.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
If it was up to me, the first tutorial video I would make is something like this:

"Tip: this game is not a button mashing and neither the enemies gonna kiss the floor the moment you arrived. If you want to win this game, you better start learning. Remember, is not just about winning. Is about getting good at the game."

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sounds like Sony knows the average casual who buys this at launch will be overwhelmed by the difficulty and will likely chuck it to one side or return it to the store. They'll hate it.

For gaming geeks like us its a thing of beauty, but its not a system selling launch title for the masses.
Exactly. I don't see how this could be a problem for anyone unless the system is needlessly intrusive and pushes it without the option to disable.

Does anyone really think that Sony, at a console launch, not encouraging a developer to support a feature designed to add convenience and cut down on pause>google time in what is likely the most difficult launch title ever released? Behave, GAF.

It's weird to think a series known for its difficulty has this built in, but at the same time you can either learn for yourself or you can learn from someone else. Why not have it built in? You can bring up the Steam overlay and have guides at a button press on PC, and there's no difference here.

Top Bottom