• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls on PS5 to have more than 180 tutorial videos

Jose92

[Membe
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/video-games/ps-5-release-games-features

Recently in the Washington Post had an interview with mark cerny and some first party developers , and in one of the topics they discussed was about how demon's souls integrates the with the activities UI and they had to the following:

Immersion doesn’t end with sensory feedback. “Demon’s Souls,” a famously punishing game, will make use of the PS5′s activities UI, which offers helpful tips regarding certain tasks. Moore says there are over 180 videos, each with increasing levels of visibility into what’s needed to complete portions of the game, available via the interface. Stumped? Now you don’t even have to leave the screen.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

As long as I can turn it off, it's fine with me.
Can I disable them?

If so, then I don't care.

You absolutely can not turn them off, in fact every time you die or enter a new area a huge plus symbol pops up on screen with COD style heavy metal riffs and you have to click "close" followed by "are you sure?" Followed by another pop up asking you if you have seen the new fortnite skins in the store. These are mandatory and impossible to turn off.

Tranquil

Cool, but I always have a laptop next to me that I can search for how to vids on youtube for any game I'm stuck with.

Raven117

Gold Member
Thats a good compromise.

Its not like most of us werent googling or looking at the old gaf thread anyway. You still have to beat it.

ivan.k

Or maybe they should have just add difficulty options to make the game more accessible. No way in hell I'll watch 180 videos of this shit just to understand the basics.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Thats a good compromise.

Its not like most of us werent googling or looking at the old gaf thread anyway. You still have to beat it.
Still have ptsd for Dancer of the Boreal Valley. Looked up dozens of guides which did nothing to help me. and it all just came down to rng and dancer not being aggressive out of nowhere on a run. Only boss in all of Soulsborne series that I had real trouble with.

Raven117

Gold Member
Still have ptsd for Dancer of the Boreal Valley. Looked up dozens of guides which did nothing to help me. and it all just came down to rng and dancer not being aggressive out of nowhere on a run. Only boss in all of Soulsborne series that I had real trouble with.
That move set was weird to me.

Kssio_Aug

Isnt this pretty much as a little walkthrough videos on youtube? But instead of opening YT, you do it from PS5 UI. If that's the case it's no big deal really.

Aesius

Just fucking play the game for an hour and you'll figure it out.

That's the key to everyone intimidated by FromSoft games. Don't even worry about dying or your save for the first few hours. Just run around, die a bunch, and learn the controls. After that, the games become much easier. It's that initial "terrified to progress because I still don't even know how to block" phase that scares people off and makes them quit.

Fuz

Banned
Souls for babies.

I haven't played Demons', but based on my experience with Dark Souls I think this is a really idiotic decision.
The obscureness of the game added quite a lot to the whole atmosphere.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So they would rather we watch 5 hours of tutorials than just offer some normal controls or offer additional difficulty modes? Ok.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
git gudders incoming:
tenor.gif

Banned
that's for the Uncharted audience, they can't even junp over a ledge if the game doesn't specifically tell them to do so 🤣

GymWolf

Do people realize that this stuff in not ingame on-screen but you have to call some sub-function on ps5 to see it?

They are not gonna spoil the atmopshere with tips&tricks pop ups...(at least i hope)

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Personally I wouldn't compare this to easy mode. Even when the game shows you how to defeat the boss you still have to do it without changing the difficulty. There's just going to be less guessing and trial&error about the boss's weaknesses, using the environment to your advantage and all that stuff.

Isa

Gold Member
Interesting to see how we've come since the Nintendo era game hotlines. I don't mind it, would rarely touch it save for maybe a moment or two over the gen if that. I'm curious if its on their server side or the devs, or just merely youtube style amateur stuff. The latter might not be so helpful whereas if its like that retro collection, I can't recall the name, it let's the game play itself and you can opt to take control at any time. Wish I could remember, perhaps its an SNK collection.

Anyway, if its the devs or their playtesters doing a playthrough to show particular segments I think that is actually pretty cool. I like how in the Sackboy example Sony used it didn't spoil anything which is cool.

Top Bottom