• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - The Hinokami Chronicles - PS5 Gameplay 4K (Deluxe Edition out now)

rubhen925

Got a chance to check out and review the game. Here are some info and impressions:

- PS5 version install size is 28.57 GB as of version 1.000.002
- Deluxe edition gives 2 day early access
- No modes to choose from. PR confirmed that in 4K mode the game runs at 30FPS. A 60FPS mode will be available post launch apparently. No time frame given.
- the game is basically a clone of naruto storm games. Combat, story mode design, etc etc.
- Story mode is 8-10 hours. 8 Chapters in total.
- Music is hella blocked so if you're planning to stream or cover this on YT, make sure to turn off BGM.
- Half the story scenes are in the form of Memory fragments, which are still images from the anime, with anime voiceovers. Most of these are blocked as well.
- Getting S ranks in all chapters will unlock rewards like new characters to use, stages, photos, player cards, music, and quotes from the characters.
- you can also use kimetsu points to but them (In game currency)
- The game is easy. Even on hard. Until the final chapter I really didn't have any issues with the game
- You can spam auto combos to victory most of the time.
- Versus mode feature online mode and local play.
- In online you have ranked and custom. Both require you to be part of lobbies. The game won't match you into automatic matches sadly.
- In Local play you can play against humans, or computer.
- There's a practice mode as well.
- A training challenge mode is available to do some character specific challenges for 12 characters. But these challenges and objectives aren't that unique. Only 3-4 unique ones that are repeated over and over again.
- The roster includes 18 characters to use at launch. But 6 are reskins with slightly modified movesets and specials moves
- 2 demons will be added as a free update post launch. Date unknown. There are DLC characters as well. but not sure when they will come.
- Only 10 stages/map. One of them is reused day or night.
- in my opinion, the game is fun for what it is, but we've seen this before in the countless naruto storm games. Other than the nice visuals and music, CC2 hasn't pushed the genre forward at all.
- the game also suffers from having not enough content at launch. The roster is also small.
- I beat the game, and played a couple hours in local and online. Now I'm ready to move onto other fighting games that provide a little more challenge honestly.
- I might have gone a little soft with the final score in the review due to my love for the anime and manga. So you're welcome to subtract 1 from the total score I gave it lol.
- I recommend waiting for a sale or waiting for the devs to add more content and characters to the game.

PS5 Gameplay 4K

My review:

Last edited:

llLeonhart

Gold Member
Dare I say this looks almost as good as the Anime? Kimetsu is a weird case in which the anime is better than the manga. It animates so incredibly well.

Yamisan

A few hours in and the overworld seems 30 fps easily. Combat looks fine otherwise. Hate the slow movement when exploring.

Yamisan

Anyone else finding the audio low? I have to set my home theater up much louder than any other game... I'm on ps5

ManaByte

I rushed to the Rui fight, and OMG it's amazing. PERFECTLY recreated. Kamado Tanjiro no Uta and everything. LOVE IT! I was jumping out of my seat when Nezuko used her Blood Demon Art in the fight.

Larxia

Dare I say this looks almost as good as the Anime? Kimetsu is a weird case in which the anime is better than the manga. It animates so incredibly well.
It was the same in the Naruto Storm games, it looked so good and the scenes were so well made, some fights were better in the game than in the anime. CyberConnect2 are really great at this, and this game is a Storm clone so it's not surprising they are in their known territory.
It's weird that DBZ Kakarot wasn't like this at all, since it was CyberConnect2 too.

Pejo

Man it looks so good visually, only to be another bog standard anime arena fighter. The IP deserves a better genre.

ManaByte

Man it looks so good visually, only to be another bog standard anime arena fighter. The IP deserves a better genre.

It's a Shonen anime built around characters with katanas fighting a big bad. It's a fighting game anime.

Pejo

It's a Shonen anime built around characters with katanas fighting a big bad. It's a fighting game anime.
Doesn't mean it has to be a completely average fighting game with flashy moves and supers and no substance. I'd rather they went the DBZ: Kakarot route or even Fairy Tail, which managed to get out of arena fighter hell. Even the best arena fighter we got in years, KLK -IF, didn't make many waves past the first week.

Yamisan

Doesn't mean it has to be a completely average fighting game with flashy moves and supers and no substance. I'd rather they went the DBZ: Kakarot route or even Fairy Tail, which managed to get out of arena fighter hell. Even the best arena fighter we got in years, KLK -IF, didn't make many waves past the first week.
Kakarot was one of the worst anime games of the decade.

ManaByte

If someone hasn't seen the anime, they can basically play this. There are just a couple of small things missing. Like you don't see Tanjiro's dad talking to him about breathing (just a black screen), and of course you don't get those awesome Episode 19 credits, but this is basically the anime running in real time.

xzAggN7.jpg

Andodalf

Banned
Why do people have to shit post?

Not talking about anime ascetic, but this, all the DBZ and Naruto games on console are fighters. There’s like 10 naruto games and they are all fighters. Image how great an RPG in that world could be!

Doom85

Not talking about anime ascetic, but this, all the DBZ and Naruto games on console are fighters. There’s like 10 naruto games and they are all fighters. Image how great an RPG in that world could be!

Depends on your definition of fighter. Dragonball FighterZ is the only fighting game based off an anime within recent memory that would be comparable to traditional fighting games, while the Naruto games and such are consider arena brawlers or such. Though while I haven’t played them, I believe the recent One Piece and Black Clover games are not arena games to my knowledge.

I mean, I love FighterZ, and would love a sequel or more seasons, but the same team doing Naruto “FighterZ” would be awesome.

zedim

Neo Member
It was the same in the Naruto Storm games, it looked so good and the scenes were so well made, some fights were better in the game than in the anime. CyberConnect2 are really great at this, and this game is a Storm clone so it's not surprising they are in their known territory.
It's weird that DBZ Kakarot wasn't like this at all, since it was CyberConnect2 too.

Very different type of games, kakarot is an open world rpg you can't have this type of graphics in a game like that

Top Bottom