• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls is getting a movie

Terenty

Imagine the most westernised, bastardised "progressive", cheezy, stupid fantasy movie ever? That's gonna be Demons Souls movie from Sony if it's true

mansoor1980

i can imagine the cast

1=chris hemsworth
2=tessa thompson
3=robert de niro or michael caine , supporting role as mentor
4=idris elba as main baddie
5=jacki chan or some other asian actor for diversity
if i am forgetting any other ethnicity/gender , please do add to the list

unlike games lore is not enough to make a good movie....
But this one has potential.The good side everyone loves fantasy settings like hobbit or lord of the rings.Demons soul will be full of creepy creatures, Demons ,Dragons and castles.They can’t do much wrong if they stay treu to the original.Tom Cruise as the fallen Knight would be great.

DelireMan7

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Not sure the cryptic storytelling would work for a movie.
The only TV show that was working with a similar story telling is "Les revenants" (the French version not the American remake "The returned"). Completely different universe from Souls game but felt more "Soulslike" than any games that claim to be one.

Then Souls is more about world, lore and gameplay... Not sure it works for a movie.

I am always curious but I am highly sceptical on this one...

martino

But this one has potential.The good side everyone loves fantasy settings like hobbit or lord of the rings.Demons soul will be full of creepy creatures, Demons ,Dragons and castles.They can’t do much wrong if they stay treu to the original.Tom Cruise as the fallen Knight would be great.
Yes it has.
Imo they should produce books first...see if something good is written and adapt that
A direct movie script i have no faith in (sure it's opinion)

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-demons-souls.html

demons-souls-900x506.jpg

According to our trusted inside source – the same one that has provided Giant Freakin Robot with multiple confirmed exclusive scoops that have included the reveal that Bruce Wayne’s parents will be evil in Robert Pattinson’s The Batman, Bruce Campbell will appear for a cameo in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, and that Monica Rambeau will be a main character in the upcoming Disney+ series Secret Invasion – Demon’s Souls is being developed into a major movie project over at Sony. It sounds like Sony knows that this has the potential to be a big intellectual property for them and that the movie will be a sizable production.

It is unclear at this time what the exact plan is when it comes to the story and how Sony is going to handle any crossover between the two games and their mythologies. Suffice to say, we are specifically hearing that Demon’s Souls is the game that is getting developed into a movie.

The story deals with a kingdom that has been overrun by demons due to a king who has awakened an ancient entity known as the Old One. There is enough of a basic fantasy framework here for any number of writers to spin things in a creative way.

Outlier

It CAN be done, but if it's to be successful, then the story telling CAN'T be like the Souls games.

2 hours of hack and slashing won't be interesting, but neither will super vague story telling.

Might be best to focus on the more important story related characters, rather than the hero.

Sony

Nintendo
I they Sony are really overestimating the power of their IP's... Uncharted movie with miscast actors.. TLOU tv show with a different focus... Now this shit? What story is there to tell? How can you possibly movie-fy a dungeon crawler.

Well they made a movie based on Battleship. They made a movie based on emojis. I guess this isn't the worst idea in the world.

Let's make a TV show about a game which has no actual narrative. TLOU makes sense. This is just pointless and cashing in on dumb fans of the game.

And to the freaks who think the lore around souls games is a story. I don't wanna hear it.

sackings

Could be cool if they went the dark comedy/groundhog day route, where they are dying repeatedly to each boss and trying to solve it like a puzzle.

Fbh

"So what do people like about Demon's Souls?"
"The gameplay, level design, challenging boss battles, unique take on multiplayer, build variety, subtle lore based storytelling and the atmosphere"
"How many of those elements do you think we'll be able to bring into our movie"
"maybe the atmosphere?"
"Close enough, go ahead!!"

Rien

Jelly Belly
Sounds lame

Edit:

Hey I have a nickname avatar thingy! Got no clue why and for what but cool I guess

Last edited:
Not sure this is a good idea, not everything transfers to different media well.
Seems like video game adaptations rarely translate well into different forms of media. Not sure why everyone keeps trying them and then the creators of these travesties get shocked when they fail. I’m not expecting much from this movie, but hopefully it will come out better than Super Mario or Double Dragon.

I guess it could work. There is a lot of visual stuff to work with, and a lot of dialog. The Onion Knight and Soltaire and so many memorable characters. To be honest there is a lot of good material to work with.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I guess it could work. There is a lot of visual stuff to work with, and a lot of dialog. The Onion Knight and Soltaire and so many memorable characters. To be honest there is a lot of good material to work with.

I don't think those characters are in DeS? Haven't played it in a long time though (don't own the remake yet).

Great Hair

Banned
Danny DeVito will play the role of The Maiden in Black
Keyanus Reefs portrays Stockpile Thomas (a lot of sitting)

Other roles:
Yurt = played by Jared Leto, he will only show up in the film once ..
Ostrava of Boletaria = played by Pedro Pascal "Please! I wanna show the world my beautiful face!"
Executioner Miralda = played by DeNiro
Old King Doran = played by Michael Caine
Patches, the Hyena = played by
Mind flayer = played by Roseanne Conner
Adjudicator = played by John Goodman
Maneater = played by Amber Heard

TheMan

to work as a movie it will have to be different enough from the games that tying it to the games will be meaningless.

Holammer

Which investor would look at that and think it's a good idea? The Uncharted movie lingered in a decade of development hell and left a trail of bodies in its wake. If the 2022 release bombs catastrophically? I wouldn't trust Sony with my cash. Especially now when they want to make a movie on an even less known property than Uncharted.
The World of Warcraft movie should by all rights been a monster hit with its well chiseled brand and popularity, but ended up being a horrible flop.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
unknown.png

According to our trusted inside source – the same one that has provided us with multiple confirmed exclusive scoops that have included the reveal that Bruce Wayne’s parents will be evil in Robert Pattinson’s The BatmanDemon’s Souls is being developed into a major movie project over at Sony.
It sounds like Sony knows that this has the potential to be a big intellectual property for them and that the movie will be a sizable production. Considering the popularity of the video game series, they seem to know that they have something that could become a real franchise for them if they play their cards right.

What is interesting about the news we’ve gotten is that we are hearing it is Demon’s Souls that is being developed into a movie.
The spiritual successor to the first game, Dark Souls, has gotten two sequels and is certainly more popular than the original game.

The two titles are not connected as far as their fictional universes are concerned, so we wonder if this film project is going to be directly pulling from the lore of Demon’s Souls as opposed to anything from Dark Souls. Or, is the Demon’s Souls name going to be used but the film will adapt material from both games?
It is unclear at this time what the exact plan is when it comes to the story and how Sony is going to handle any crossover between the two games and their mythologies.
Suffice to say, we are specifically hearing that Demon’s Souls is the game that is getting developed into a movie.

Amazing if true. Sony Pictures should benefit from PS massive IP's.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Amazing if true. Sony Pictures should benefit from PS massive IP's.
This. Idk why everybody is upset we know nothing for now. I mean sure, Monster Hunter is just out and... hum well you know.
But I do hope Sony is not dumb to mess with those kind of licence.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This. Idk why everybody is upset we know nothing for now. I mean sure, Monster Hunter is just out and... hum well you know.
But I do hope Sony is not dumb to mess with those kind of licence.

Also many games and IP's sitting around could help make a good movie/series. The Witcher being the best game to series example. Also they need to expand their content further for their upcoming Bravia Core service:

Last edited:
Top Bottom