• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deleting a game from EGS deleted my entire games folder?

MMaRsu

Banned
I had tony hawk installed in F:/games folder, where I have all my games from Steam, emulators and such

I wanted to clear some space so decided to delete the game from the Epic Launcher. But then I want to install another game and it says I have 700GB free space on my SSD (which was almost full)????

Now I go and check and yes the entire folder has been cleared, the steam map is still there but all games in there are also deleted?

What the hell is this?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
It's a feature.

EGS is easing the burden of your backlog and allowing you to focus on games from Epic instead.

wipeout364

It's in the fine print as part of creating your epic account. Something about "we reserve the right to screw you over at anytime."

bender

What time is it?
giphy.gif

F:\EGS Games
F:\Steam Games

GHG

Gold Member
MMaRsu MMaRsu

On all seriousness did you select the root of the folder to install the game to or did you create a sub folder within games called TonyHawk (or something similar) for it to install the game to?

It sounds like you selected the main folder as your install folder and then it installed the games' files loosely in that folder. As far as the launcher saw it, it was just deleting the folder you installed the game on because it thought that game was the only thing that would be in there.

General rule of thumb - make each PC launcher have it's own sub-folder and ensure each game is being installed to its own folder and not to the root directory of that folder.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, EGS is and has been doing the absolute bare minimum as a store front. It's pretty ridiculous. Oh they offer more of a cut for devs? Great! Too bad customers get an extremely limited experience with practically no basic functionality.

MMaRsu

Banned
Actually it may have been a way out I deinstalled, yes that had a base folder of F:/games without a sub folder sadly. So a deinstall I guess just deleted the entire map. Fucking hell

Soodanim

Gold Member
EGS just throws files in the base destination without a sub folder?! Now wonder they have to give games away for free, what a train wreck

GHG

Gold Member
EGS just throws files in the base destination without a sub folder?! Now wonder they have to give games away for free, what a train wreck

By default it doesn't, but if you select a custom directory for individual games and don't specify a sub folder then it will.

Last edited:

jakinov

Yeah, EGS is and has been doing the absolute bare minimum as a store front. It's pretty ridiculous. Oh they offer more of a cut for devs? Great! Too bad customers get an extremely limited experience with practically no basic functionality.
The basic functionality is there. It just takes time to add additional features and they prioritize certain ones over other. In regards to bugs, it's also common for companies to track but not address bugs, especially if it isn't easily reproducible and doesn't affect a lot of people. It's not like Steam is bug free either or implemented every user request feature in a timely manner. There are things people asked for on Valve forums that to this day have not been implemented or things that too years before being implemented.

GHG

Gold Member
The basic functionality is there. It just takes time to add additional features and they prioritize certain ones over other. In regards to bugs, it's also common for companies to track but not address bugs, especially if it isn't easily reproducible and doesn't affect a lot of people. It's not like Steam is bug free either or implemented every user request feature in a timely manner. There are things people asked for on Valve forums that to this day have not been implemented or things that too years before being implemented.

Thanks Tim.

TheContact

one time i accidentally put a document i was writing in a steam game folder and when i uninstalled the game, it took the document with it. lost hours of work, but i shouldn't have put it in there i guess

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’d say whole directories being removed is a pretty important bug to address. For all of Steam’s problems (if you’ve ever used the Steam Input menus you’ll have seen unfinished or missing text many times), I’ve never had installation and uninstallation be anything but smooth. Steam only removes that which it put there, so no chance of extra files being deleted. I’m pretty sure GOG is the same. I’d much rather manually delete a left over mod file after uninstalling than have all of my games deleted because the poxy launcher doesn’t just give every game its own sub-directory like every other launcher on the planet.

If I was OP I’d be pissed off, because there’s no reason for a launcher in this day and age to be pulling some backwards shit like that regardless of the options.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Maybe if they didn't spend all their money on giving away games or moneyhatting them they could improve their product and actually be competitive.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

That IS true. But there are many basic things that people have been hoping for or expecting that are completely absent. With the team and backing Epic has there's no excuse for why some of those things are absent. They have what's needed to make their platform better, they've had it ever since EGS' birth. But it looks like that potential focus is placed elsewhere.

Steam is by no means bug free, correct. But it IS in the lead in terms of what PC players expect and want in a digital platform. Which is understandable as Steam laid a lot of the ground work.

Also, the bug OP is referring to is pretty damn awful. I haven't heard of anything as bad or similar regarding another digital platform.

jakinov

I’d say whole directories being removed is a pretty important bug to address. For all of Steam’s problems (if you’ve ever used the Steam Input menus you’ll have seen unfinished or missing text many times), I’ve never had installation and uninstallation be anything but smooth. Steam only removes that which it put there, so no chance of extra files being deleted. I’m pretty sure GOG is the same. I’d much rather manually delete a left over mod file after uninstalling than have all of my games deleted because the poxy launcher doesn’t just give every game its own sub-directory like every other launcher on the planet.

If I was OP I’d be pissed off, because there’s no reason for a launcher in this day and age to be pulling some backwards shit like that regardless of the options.
Depends on if they can reproduce it and how many people are affected. If you have finite resources to fix other bugs that people experience more often or cause more damage or work on features that make more money. They are going to prioritize that. I don't know whats on their plate but that's how a lot of teams decide on what work to do.

Nobody wants bugs to happen, but they do and bugs can do all kinds of undesirable things.

Maybe if they didn't spend all their money on giving away games or moneyhatting them they could improve their product and actually be competitive.
They aren't mutually exclusive. They can do both and they do do both. The money they spend on marketing is a business decision that helps give them they revenue, that they do to be competitive and get their foot into the market faster. Having parity with misc. chat/social features isn't going to be what's going to do that. Even if they had parity; people are just going to try to use Discord for communication and Reddit for community/memes. Throwing money at development doesn't give you things faster always. In software development, it's widely considered bad to add more people if your project is late (at least in the short term). Moving a deadline up and adding people is effectively doing the same thing.

That IS true. But there are many basic things that people have been hoping for or expecting that are completely absent. With the team and backing Epic has there's no excuse for why some of those things are absent. They have what's needed to make their platform better, they've had it ever since EGS' birth. But it looks like that potential focus is placed elsewhere.

Steam is by no means bug free, correct. But it IS in the lead in terms of what PC players expect and want in a digital platform. Which is understandable as Steam laid a lot of the ground work.

Also, the bug OP is referring to is pretty damn awful. I haven't heard of anything as bad or similar regarding another digital platform.
It's common nowadays for companies to instead of waiting 5 years to enter a market and have full future parity they release what they call the "minimum viable product" while continuously trying to catch up with updates (and sometimes to do more). It's same reason why Disney+ and HBO Max didn't launch with all the same features as Netflix. They didn't want to wait a year or two to release a product that worked just fine and people were willing to use. Some people might not adopt it right away. But at least they are making now instead of paying the salaries of a bunch of people to work on something while they could have been making some of that money back. Another reason why companies do this is because they don't want to enter a market later because that gives the competition more time to grow unopposed.

It sucks if you get it. But if it happens to 1 out of every 500,000 people and only happens sometimes when that 1 deletes a game then it's not a high priority to fix right away. I don't know anything about the bug or what their backlog of work looks like. But it's something to keep in mind why a bug can exist but nobody is trying to fix it. It's what software companies do. I see people complain all the time (not just about Epic Launcher) that why does this old bug still exist or why doesn't this feature exist yet. And the answer is finite workers with arguably more higher priority work to do.

Stuart360

I dont get it, you uninstalled the game because you wanted to make space, and now you're pissed off because the game isnt there anymore?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Depends on if they can reproduce it and how many people are affected. If you have finite resources to fix other bugs that people experience more often or cause more damage or work on features that make more money. They are going to prioritize that. I don't know whats on their plate but that's how a lot of teams decide on what work to do.

Nobody wants bugs to happen, but they do and bugs can do all kinds of undesirable things.
Going by this thread, it sounds like it’s possible to install games into a folder without a sub-folder. That’s a HUGE red flag and yet it’s so easy to fix. Destination path just gets changed, that’s it. If what’s been said is true (and it sounds like it for this to have happened), if C:/Games is your folder then it dumps (or at least can dump) games in that folder, then deletes the whole folder on uninstallation.

Even if they couldn’t be bothered to code in a proper uninstallation method for each installed file, the installation being given a sub folder within the defined installation folder (C:/Games/THPS12) would have stopped this whole thing happening.

The entire point of launchers is for them to manage it for you - to make it idiot proof to encourage people to use it over loose installers and risk falling prey to human error. EGS, if this is all true, has failed on a fundamental level.

bargeparty

Going by this thread, it sounds like it’s possible to install games into a folder without a sub-folder. That’s a HUGE red flag and yet it’s so easy to fix. Destination path just gets changed, that’s it. If what’s been said is true (and it sounds like it for this to have happened), if C:/Games is your folder then it dumps (or at least can dump) games in that folder, then deletes the whole folder on uninstallation.

Even if they couldn’t be bothered to code in a proper uninstallation method for each installed file, the installation being given a sub folder within the defined installation folder (C:/Games/THPS12) would have stopped this whole thing happening.

The entire point of launchers is for them to manage it for you - to make it idiot proof to encourage people to use it over loose installers and risk falling prey to human error. EGS, if this is all true, has failed on a fundamental level.

I don't think I've ever seen a game not install into it's own folder. They must have selected the wrong folder by mistake and never noticed.

I picked a game in EGS and it shows right there it's going to the I drive, and below that the full path which is I:\Aztez

You pick a different folder or drive, and it stills goes to \Aztez.

If everything was correct prior, which we may never know, then the deletion error was just a bug. A bad bug, but a bug nonetheless.

Last edited:

jakinov

I agree launchers should do that/be that way. A lot of bugs arise when developers overlook things. Also, sometimes even if solutions are easier doesn't mean people will work on it either. And this might not even be an issue that they aware of as not all users report bugs.

Top Bottom