• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Decided to check and yea, this is the 6th spider man game with the number 2 in the title.

Kadve

Got a bit curios and there has sure been a lot of spider man sequels throughout the years, and that's just the ones they bothered to number. This got to be a record right?

There was a Gameboy game from 1992

15234-spider-man-2-game-boy-front-cover.jpg

A Gameboy color one from 2001

Spider-Man_2_-_The_Sinister_Six_Coverart.png

The more famous Playstation one also from 2001.

Spider-Man_2_Enter_Electro_US_Cover.jpg

The classic movie tie-in from 2004.

34510-spider-man-2-xbox-front-cover.jpg

The less classic tie in from 2014.
The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2

And now this
uw5S1KQ.png

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I believe in Insomanic, they can manage quests, boss battles etc. it’s a different situation now those past Spider-Man games felt like desperate movie games. Super hero video game movie games are ELITE now many thanks to Batman Arkham series and the excellent Spider-Man PS4.

HisExcellency

Neo Member
I didn't know this but am not surprised. This just shows how popular this character is and has been for decades. And although not all have been great, he's starred in pretty good games since the Genesis era.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I believe in Insomanic, they can manage quests, boss battles etc. it’s a different situation now those past Spider-Man games felt like desperate movie games. Super hero video game movie games are ELITE now many thanks to Batman Arkham series and the excellent Spider-Man PS4.
i don't get people want more ps4 spiderman after the playstation game and the remake on ps5 and the morales game.. do you really need more open world spiderman?

i get WHY companies do this obviously. Spiderman 2 is WAY cheaper to make then the first one.
You have a solid gameplay loop and mechanics. So they have the sandbox all the need to add is more content.

i couldn't even finish the ps4 game.. after a while it all fucking felt the same how nice it even was.. i call it the ubi syndrome.

I feel happy for the fans of spiderman. But this is def not the reason why i got a ps5.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
i don't get people want more ps4 spiderman after the playstation game and the remake on ps5 and the morales game.. do you really need more open world spiderman?

i get WHY companies do this obviously. Spiderman 2 is WAY cheaper to make then the first one.
You have a solid gameplay loop and mechanics. So they have the sandbox all the need to add is more content.

i couldn't even finish the ps4 game.. after a while it all fucking felt the same how nice it even was.. i call it the ubi syndrome.

I feel happy for the fans of spiderman. But this is def not the reason why i got a ps5.
It’s not just another open world game it’s the world of Harlem, NY is legit and has a super feel to it. Yes Sony fanboys root for Spider-Man but the game holds a
Untitled.png

HisExcellency

Neo Member

I sometimes get burned out on Ubisoft open worlds too. Also bad open worlds or uninteresting ones. Spider-Man PS4 is neither. I loved every moment of the game except most sneaking missions. When the gameplay is that good and the dialogue is that enjoyable, you can enjoy the most mundane of tasks like collecting pigeons.

I platinum'd the game so I am definitely a fan. I 100% think people bought a 5 in part because they wanted more open world Spider-Man. But to each their own.

Yeah, I agree. It's a good, solid game. But everything about the game is just so... Solid? Safe? Slightly above average? It's fun but nothing really stands out and it gets really repetitive after a while and not as satisfying anymore.

If they change things up quite a bit and add some really interesting gameplay elements I'm down for another game, but they probably won't.

catvonpee

Much like the Aliens IP no longer being controlled by Sega, it feels good to see that Spiderman is no longer controlled by Activision. I feel the IP is in very competent hands now.

Kadve

Much like the Aliens IP no longer being controlled by Sega, it feels good to see that Spiderman is no longer controlled by Activision. I feel the IP is in very competent hands now.
Atleast they made good games, unlike LJN/Acclaim who mostly held it previously.

Bakkus

There were actually 5 different Spiderman 2 games released in 2004, so we got to add 4 more to the list.

MrA

Banned
There were actually 5 different Spiderman 2 games released in 2004, so we got to add 4 more to the list.
ps2/gc/xbox , was the psp also the same as these 3?
the completely different pc , famous for being way way worse
ds, 3d graphics, 2d gamplay
gba, 2d/2d and also sprites in free roam 3d,
is there another one is it the psp one?

MrA

Banned
I don't believe many want another Activision or LJN Spiderman game.

:messenger_fearful:
activision made plenty of decent spiderman games, the ps1 spiderman games, spiderman 2, and like 39423645 good ones on the ds, not to mention the x-men legends/marvel ultimate alliance,
unfortunately, as time went on Activision got worse and worse about it

Bakkus

ps2/gc/xbox , was the psp also the same as these 3?
the completely different pc , famous for being way way worse
ds, 3d graphics, 2d gamplay
gba, 2d/2d and also sprites in free roam 3d,
is there another one is it the psp one?
There was also one on the N-Gage.

activision made plenty of decent spiderman games, the ps1 spiderman games, spiderman 2, and like 39423645 good ones on the ds, not to mention the x-men legends/marvel ultimate alliance,
unfortunately, as time went on Activision got worse and worse about it

Unfortunately I only played the bad ones.

:lollipop_pensive:

MrA

Banned
Just found out it was a ripoff of spiderman 1 on GBA. The PSP version of 2, however, was it's own game.
I think that's even better
Joe: hey bob let's get spiderman 2 on the ngage!
Bob: okay, let's use the ds version!
Joe: nah can't do it
Bob: how about the gba version!
Joe: nah let's though em a curve ball, gba port, but of spiderman 1, they'll think it's an original game
Bob: and we'll make millions!

Blond

Banned
I still can’t believe it’s happening in general: This is pipe dream territory! I know people think it had more to do with Spider-Man movie right’s, but it’s clear Marvel really thought their 1st party output was what the way to go for their property.

bender

What time is it?
Ended up mainline it, the chasing of the pigeons and the clearing out of those 'bases' got boring personally.

Probably for the best. A lot of the original felt like filler. Miles Morales was superior just in the fact that it was more streamlined. I hope Insomniac figures out a way to make better use of the open world outside of the main missions.

Kadve

Yea but i didn't count them separately. They were all based on the same movie, tells roughly the same story and are just adapted for different systems (with the exception of the PC version, no idea what happened there) and their specs.

Unlike the 2001 games, which tells different stories with the GBC version even getting in own sequel in the form of Mysterio's Menace later the same year.

What exacty was good about the quests and boss battles? 90% of the sidemissions were just awful and the boss fights were much too easy, 0 challenge. The Ubisoft filler stuff like cat stautes, photos, backpacks was also super boring.

Overall the game was enjoyable thanks to the Batman Arkham series "inspiration", but no masterpiece. 7,5/10 for me.

Star-Lord

What exacty was good about the quests and boss battles? 90% of the sidemissions were just awful and the boss fights were much too easy, 0 challenge. The Ubisoft filler stuff like cat stautes, photos, backpacks was also super boring.

Overall the game was enjoyable thanks to the Batman Arkham series "inspiration", but no masterpiece. 7,5/10 for me.
The entire gaming world disagrees, but you do you.

Top Bottom