• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEBUNKED: Someone is going to acquire Bungie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
2011-01-14 - 2020-06-12Addition of officer CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY, agent
Its may not be Microsoft though.

No. No one is going to acquire Bungie unless we assume that someone is also going to acquire Sony. And a million of other companies because having an agent of Corporation Service Company is extremely common in America.

ZTEIGf2.jpg

Incidentally, Jez corden says clearly in a following tweet that he's just guessing.

Corporation Service Company is not a title. It's an actual company, which offers a wide range of services to other companies, in this case, Bungie. It has nothing to do with acquisitions. When they start working with a company, their agent is added to the company network.

Here's a summary of what they do.

This is simply extremely poor research by whoever wrote this. They got it all wrong. They had a narrative to push and "adapted" they findings to falsely support it.

I swear, this whole acquisition thing is making everyone dumber. 😂

Last edited:
I would love it to be Sony just for the meltdown, but I doubt it.
I feel Sony need some games for the straight not too PC male demographic that Xbox got down. :p

That's cool I guess. I dunno why they just don't stay independent. They want their cake and all that. But they got their independence that they clearly wanted from MSFT and then immediately went and got in bed with one of the most notorious publisher's in the business. Then they finally got out from under their umbrella and they what?....Now want to go back into someone's pocket? I dunno, it's hard for me to care about them honestly as Destiny 1 + 2 were both kind of trash on release, enough for me to not CARE if they became better games later...

Good luck to them. They seem like they did their best work under MSFT's umbrella, but they also don't seem as valuable to me as they used to be. Though the numbers may speak differently.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Why would they sulk to be independent then want to be acquired a few years later.

Why would Microsoft acquire Bungie after letting them go? Of they really wanted Bungie they just could have kept them.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
No. No one is going to acquire Bungie unless we assume that someone is also going to acquire Sony. And a million of other companies because having an agent of Corporation Service Company is extremely common in America.

ZTEIGf2.jpg

Incidentally, Jez corden says clearly in a following tweet that he's just guessing.

Corporation Service Company is not a title. It's an actual company, which offers a wide range of services to other companies, in this case Bungie. It has nothing to do with acquisitions.

Here's a summary of what they do.

This is simply extremely poor research by whoever wrote this. They got it all wrong.
That is Sony interactive Entertainment, they are a division of Sony so they have this label. All the new studios acquired by Microsoft also have this label.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That is Sony interactive Entertainment, they are a division of Sony so they have this label. All the new studios acquired by Microsoft also have this label.

LOL. No. It has nothing to do with being a division of another company. It has to do with using the service of a company called Corporation Service Company, which a ton of companies mostly in America do.

Why would they sulk to be independent then want to be acquired a few years later.

Why would Microsoft acquire Bungie after letting them go? Of they really wanted Bungie they just could have kept them.

Money. They sulked to be independent then realised they can't financially go it alone...twice.

As for what MS would gain, the Bungie assets and IPs I suppose, also the fanboy dream of a competent team handling Halo again lol.

Bernkastel

LOL. No. It has nothing to do with being a division of another company. It has to do with using the service of a company called Corporation Service Company, which a ton of companies mostly in America do.
Whenever company in US gets acquired they add this role.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

Not gonna happen but would be hilarious if it was Microsoft and they disband 343i and expand Bungie to manage multiple IPs including Halo, Destiny, and new projects they want to pursue. Would be hilarious but not gonna happen. A big fuck you to Bonnie Ross and Frank O'Connor.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

So who is going to acquire Activision Blizzard? 😂

YIt0eRI.jpg

Corporation Service Company is not a "role." It's a company offering them services that incidentally works with almost everyone, alongside other similar companies like Corporation Trust Company which works with EA.

If you don't know what you're talking about, why do you even try?

Last edited:

Bernkastel

YIt0eRI.jpg

Corporation Service Company is not a "role" is a company offering them services.

Thats why this thread is tagged "rumour". Because they recently added the same role that all companies do after acquisition.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Thats why this thread is tagged "rumour". Because they recently added the same role that all companies do after acquisition.

That's not a role. It's a corporate services providing company working with them, and it's a company working with a TON of companies.

This is not a "rumor." It's false speculation stemming from poor research and not knowing what one is talking about.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

YIt0eRI.jpg

Corporation Service Company is not a "role." It's a company offering them services that incidentally works with almost everyone, alongside other similar companies like Corporation Trust Company which works with EA.

Fire!

Aion002

Not gonna happen but would be hilarious if it was Microsoft and they disband 343i and expand Bungie to manage multiple IPs including Halo, Destiny, and new projects they want to pursue. Would be hilarious but not gonna happen. A big fuck you to Bonnie Ross and Frank O'Connor.
I was going to post that.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

But it would also be sooo weird, because Bungie left to have freedom. I would assume that if MS bought them, the creative minds would leave... Unless the money and promises are good.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's funny that people are still responding to this like it isn't completely false speculation that came out of someone being completely ignorant about the subject matter.

Lemme repost for your benefit folks.

ZTEIGf2.jpg

YIt0eRI.jpg

Nonetheless, a few sources here are saying Bungie are looking to be acquired (Jez Corden, Eurogamer, Jeff Grubb) so at least it qualifies as a rumor from that POV.

Jez Corden said he's just guessing. The others have been shut down by Bungie itself. It's not called a "rumor." It's called a "debunked" rumor.

VAVA Mk2

I was going to post that.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

But it would also be sooo weird, because Bungie left to have freedom. I would assume that if MS bought them, the creative minds would leave... Unless the money and promises are good.
If the price is right, MS gives them a good degree of creative freedom and resources, and let's them do multiple IPs, I think Bungie might be happy. They left because they didn't want to just do Halo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
XboxEra jumped the gun. They identified a loose pattern but lacked an understanding of business and corporate structure to properly attribute it to anything. They didn't know what they were talking about and started spreading info (bad idea given they are a brand new site). I'll blame the outlet.

That's not OP's fault. "Don't shoot the messenger" and all.

Not an unusual appointment at all. Essentially what this means is the company hired a third party to act on their behalf. If I had to guess I would imagine that the appointment had to do with the NetEase investment or Activision separation.

Jez is speculating based on his perception of cash flow...which is another issue on it's own.

Could Bungie consider looking for a buyer and could Microsoft be looking to acquire Bungie? Absolutely but not for the reasons that XboxEra is suggesting.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

XboxEra jumped the gun. They identified a loose pattern but lacked an understanding of business and corporate structure to properly attribute it to anything. They didn't know what they were talking about and started spreading info (bad idea given they are a brand new site). I'll blame the outlet.

That's not OP's fault. "Don't shoot the messenger" and all.

Not an unusual appointment at all. Essentially what this means is the company hired a third party to act on their behalf. If I had to guess I would imagine that the appointment had to do with the NetEase investment or Activision separation.

Jez is speculating based on his perception of cash flow...which is another issue on it's own.

Could Bungie consider looking for a buyer and could Microsoft be looking to acquire Bungie? Absolutely but not for the reasons that XboxEra is suggesting.
To be frank I heard this from Jez's tweet.

DavJay

Sony should get Bungie. MS already have a ton of first person game and they need more diversity. Spend money on other studios.

Not that I think it should or would happen, but Sony would really benefit from a studio like Bungie that can create amazing FPS. I feel that's the one major glaring weakness in Sony's otherwise excellent portfolio of exclusives. Killzone just doesn't cut it. Although the FPS genre is kind of oversaturated, it's too big and important a genre to not have a 1st party studio dedicated to it.

Sony investing the cash they currently give to Activision for COD timed exclusivity into a studio to develop an exclusive FPS for PS5 would be great imo.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Maybe we shouldn't make everything Jez Corden says into a thread, especially when he says he's just guessing.
In all fairness, Jez and the others in Xbox that circle have made some "guesses" before that turned out to be right. They certainly aren't ace reporters or anything but do on occasion cross the line from speculating fan to somewhat credible source.

To be frank I heard this from Jez's tweet.
He and the folks at xbox era probably meant well and just weren't equipped to interpret this data.

Doesn't mean Bungie isn't a possible acquisition for a larger pub but their evidence is not indicative of that.

Either way, I think it would be great to have Bungie under the Xbox banner again. I doubt they remain indie forever and there very few pubs that would be able to make that acquisition...Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, NetEase, Tencent just to name a few. I think Xbox would be the best fit for the studio and their future games.

Last edited:
He and the folks at xbox era probably meant well and just weren't equipped to interpret this data.

Doesn't mean Bungie isn't a possible acquisition for a larger pub but their evidence is not indicative of that.

Either way, I think it would be great to have Bungie under the Xbox banner again. I doubt they remain indie forever and there very few pubs that would be able to make that acquisition...Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, NetEase, Tencent just to name a few. I think Xbox would be the best fit for the studio and their future games.
I kinda hope this happens, and they, or even I'd, take the reigns for Halo and dissolve 343 studios, and fire Bonnie Ross. she's run the franchise in the ground and is poorly managing the team. She's way too focused on diversity and her own accomplishments. She needs to get out a quality product and shut the hell up or get out.

Coconutt

I was a big fan of Destiny but I quit playing around the time it became f2p, something about the game was just ruined for me, good luck to whatever company acquires it.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I kinda hope this happens, and they, or even I'd, take the reigns for Halo and dissolve 343 studios, and fire Bonnie Ross. she's run the franchise in the ground and is poorly managing the team. She's way too focused on diversity and her own accomplishments. She needs to get out a quality product and shut the hell up or get out.
I can't say that 343 needs to be dissolved. They have some fantastic talent and passionate Halo fans there-including many women. The MCC patch team, the forge team, the community team, etc are all really passionate about what they do. I want to be fair to those people and be sensitive of the fact that these are all real people and their jobs that we are talking about.

While I cannot stand most of what 343 has done with the franchise I do have to give Bonnie credit where cried is due. There is no telling what Halo would have turned into if she had not stepped up and been willing to take on Halo after Bungie split. Spinning up 343 was certainly better than some of the alternative ideas such as contracting Gearbox to make Halo games.

They do seemingly have a management/focus problem. Gameplay, story, art, music, etc all took a sharp left turn from the older games that fans loved. There is also a huge focus on merchandising over games. Seemingly a lack of cohesion and ability to hit deadlines. I've described my ideal Halo game many times...there is plenty of opportunity for the series if they choose to challenge the way they view the franchise. Microsoft should certainly reassess their approach to Halo and 343's trajectory.

All of that said I can't say that Bungie would produce a great Halo game either. Much of the talent that made Halo special has left that studio and their focus is not on the hyper competitive PVP anymore-Destiny has struggled to find its footing with PVP ever since that game launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom