• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death's Door |OT|

kostasfil

Neo Member
I' m around 10 hours in the game, searching a lot and liking everything, in such degree that i wish it has a new game + when i finish it (which shouldn't take me long). Only ommission i find, is the lack of a map. Because you have to remeber all the routes, otherwise you do a lot of backtracking.
Game of the year for me!
Best money spended in 2021.

Davey Cakes

Ceramic Manor is cool. I'm a sucker for the aesthetic.

The gameplay is like a somewhat more complex Link's Awakening, for better or worse. I'm not in love with it, but it's serviceable. I need to experience more of the weapons. The knives are a nice change from the sword. Shooting arrows is simply fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz
Game is good. Scratched the action adventure itch a little, but definitely needs more fleshed out combat. It's serviceable and does the job. A map is needed for this game. That's the biggest issue with the game.

This is the only game I've cared to play to 100% completion in all my years gaming and I loved everything about it. What really made the game stand out for me is the writing. It's not a story heavy game by any means, but what's there gives you so much personality without being heavy handed. It's refreshing to see.

Tip for item hoarders: Don't do it- plant all the seeds you find in every pot as you go. I was worried I might run out and drops would be scarce but there's a seed for every pot.

Roberts

Any tips for Betty?

Going back around looking for the secrets and souls to power up.
Patience is your friend. Dodge when it leaps at you, approach and hit one or two times and dodge again. Once in a while she rolls at you, three times in a row - don’t bother attacking her, just avoid her. Later on you will get a snowball shower, but it is telegraphed by a shadow on the ground. That is pretty much it.

GymWolf

Finished after almost 13 hours with a good number of secrets, all the weapons and almost all the ability upgrade, but no secret finale.

The game is a good 7\8 depends on how much you like the genre, my biggest problem was the very weak progression, you barely feel more powerfull and the weapons are very similar.

Not every location was in the same quality tier as the first area with the witch.

The game is also pretty much a cakewalk if you are familiar with action games, last boss was cool tho.

i liked more ender lilies tbh.

GymWolf

Enjoying the atmosphere. Studio Ghibli vibes with a little dash of Hyper Light Drifter mechanics. Making slow, steady progress chipping away at the game.
Yeah that's a very similar game except for the puzzle solving, but i enjoyed HLD more, the challenge was fairly higher and the progression much more meaningfull.

Atmosphere is ace in both.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a very similar game except for the puzzle solving, but i enjoyed HLD more, the challenge was fairly higher and the progression much more meaningfull.

Atmosphere is ace in both.

For sure. I adore Hyper Light it sits pretty high on my list of recent favorites. Deaths Door not quite there for me but it's got its own charm for sure.

GymWolf

For sure. I adore Hyper Light it sits pretty high on my list of recent favorites. Deaths Door not quite there for me but it's got its own charm for sure.
If you like 2d metroidvania, try ender lilies.

Do you have any advice for games of similar genre? (metroidvania and what the hell HLD genre is...)

I love me some isometric view.

Last edited:
If you like 2d metroidvania, try ender lilies.

Do you have any advice for games of similar genre? (metroidvania and what the hell HLD genre is...)

I love me some isometric view.

Ill check out Ender Lilies, i remember not being totally turned on by the art style. But will take another look.

Oh man dont ask me, ill quote almost any isometric game. Isometric is absolutely my jam. Usually more on the crpg/rpg side.

On the more action leaning side I had a lot of fun with Darksiders Genesis, could be worth a look. Still need to finish that.

reksveks

Patience is your friend. Dodge when it leaps at you, approach and hit one or two times and dodge again. Once in a while she rolls at you, three times in a row - don’t bother attacking her, just avoid her. Later on you will get a snowball shower, but it is telegraphed by a shadow on the ground. That is pretty much it.
Got past her as soon as I got the extra health bar, didn't need it though in the end.

GymWolf

Ill check out Ender Lilies, i remember not being totally turned on by the art style. But will take another look.

Oh man dont ask me, ill quote almost any isometric game. Isometric is absolutely my jam. Usually more on the crpg/rpg side.

On the more action leaning side I had a lot of fun with Darksiders Genesis, could be worth a look. Still need to finish that.
Already finished that one :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I guess you are gonna be there for the ascent day one...

Already finished that one :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I guess you are gonna be there for the ascent day one...

You betcha, have a friend who is uber psyched for this one. I might wait for impressions to roll in but it's totally on my radar.

edit Below is another one to check out maybe if you haven't already*

Last edited:

Tangerine

Just 100%ed Death's Door the other day, no Google help.
Found the real ending and secret end boss.
All secrets, powerups, weapons and collectibles. Game file says 100%

20 hours it took.

I would need to play through the game again with just umbrella as weapon to get the last 100 achievement points. Oh and I missed my chance to get the lil creatures who follow you around and infest the commission headquarters, to follow me through the metal detector there. So I'd need a new file to get that achievement too. So almost got 900/1000 achievement points.

One of my favourite games of all time. 9.5/10 I'd give it. Honestly. The atmosphere, music, the lore, the graphics, the secrets, the boss battles.

Anyone else who got the real ending notice the inspiration they took from full metal alchemist? The eye of truth. The soul bonding to a piece of armour? Nice!

Last edited:
Just 100%ed Death's Door the other day, no Google help. Found the real ending and secret end boss. All secrets, powerups, weapons and collectibles. Game file says 100%

20 hours it took.

I would need to play through the game again with just umbrella as weapon to get the last 100 achievement points. Oh and I missed my chance to get the lil creatures who follow you around and infest the commission headquarters, to follow me through the metal detector there. So I'd need a new file to get that too. So almost got 900/1000 achievement points.

One of my favourite games of all time. 9.5/10 I'd give it. Honestly. The atmosphere, music, the lore, the graphics, the secrets, the boss battles.

Anyone else who got the real ending notice the inspiration they took from full metal alchemist? The eye of truth. The soul bonding to a piece of armour? Nice!
I agree but might want to spoiler tag the stuff about the true ending. Some haven't seen it yet!

Just 100%ed Death's Door the other day, no Google help. Found the real ending and secret end boss. All secrets, powerups, weapons and collectibles. Game file says 100%

20 hours it took.

I would need to play through the game again with just umbrella as weapon to get the last 100 achievement points. Oh and I missed my chance to get the lil creatures who follow you around and infest the commission headquarters, to follow me through the metal detector there. So I'd need a new file to get that too. So almost got 900/1000 achievement points.

I know the full ending ties to
Titan Souls, their previous game which I've never heard of till Death's Door. I hope DD was successful enough where they'd consider remaking Titan Souls as an DLC for Death's Door.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I know the full ending ties to
Titan Souls, their previous game which I've never heard of till Death's Door. I hope DD was successful enough where they'd consider remaking Titan Souls as an DLC for Death's Door.
Interesting. I didn't think to look for their past work, but I should do since I liked Death's Door so much.

If you can be bothered, edit my quote from your post. I changed my original post to add spolier tags, as suggested by DarkMage. Thanks!

Last edited:

Phase

Just finished. It's very Zelda-esque. Level design is fantastic. I felt like a kid again finding secrets and solving puzzles to unlock keys and new paths forward. Boss design is great as well, just hard enough that you have to learn the patterns to succeed. And the music ties it together creating a wonderful experience with a perfect length (for me) of about 10 hrs.

Roufianos

I ain't big on the indie scene but I'm loving this so far.

Crazy how much shit makes it on to GP but this didn't though. MS should reevaluate where they splash the cash.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Playing it on switch atm.
It’s alright..

A bit overhyped but the artstyle is pretty
Reminds me of that weird phone game that was best seller for years

Last edited:

DjMystix

Just completed this on PS5 yesterday and I cannot believe I slept on this for so long. This is a GOTY contender just like HADES was. Excellent game with some really amazing music. The story was also great (including the true ending and the other game that it connects to). The combat was simple but it didn't need to be complex at all. Very rarely, but sometimes the game gets tough but overall, very accessible. The puzzles and the environments are designed so brilliantly that you never feel lost.

Love this game and I highly recommend that you give it a try if you haven't already.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Picked this up after Christmas and finished it today. Really, really enjoyed the game overall. Read about the true ending and didn't want to spend more time with it so I just watched that on youtube.

Top Bottom