A hell of a lot of people out there saying that this is massively overrated....
That it's not tight and is way too easy..... ACG, Supanova, Sophia above and pretty much everyone Ive talked to...which is about 6 or 7 people have said it's anywhere between a 6.5 to an 8. Most said about 7.
I'd believe that.... there seems to be a huge push behind this game from the media. Of course the fact that it is easier probably makes it more attractive to media types.
There’s some console war bullshit going on in all of it, for sure. It’s a great game. Is it a 10/10? No. But it is a solid 9. Great exploration and investigation. Cracking gameplay loop. Interesting story. Original structure. Cool multiplayer.
Some folks just need to get out of the way of their prejudices and expectations.
Just completed it yesterday. I want to share a couple of thoughts that might help someone. Don't give up early on, the learning curve of this game is huge and also, you start with no weapon and skill and that makes the first few hours of the game extremely tedious and frustrating to play. But once you gain new skills and weapons, the game transforms into something I have not experience in the longest time.
I absolutely loved the game and its mechanics. It plays very well and I realy enjoyed solving the mystery behind the loop. and btw, this is coming from someone who wasn't a fan of Arcane Studios. I just never liked their previous games. This game has definitely won me over.
I don't think this is a 10/10 experience as some critics have rated it but I think this is a solid 8.5 or even 9 IMHO. Excellent game! Do give it a try!
I received a copy of this game for free from Arkane Studios for both PlayStation 5 and PC. Despite this - I have provided what I feel are my true and honest opinions of the product in its current state.
This review was created in a way that is intended to avoid any spoilers, and therefore will not cover any late game material specifically - though my criticisms still apply.
What I liked:
1. The banter between Colt and Julianna was hilarious
2. Excellent story and progression.
3. Solid level design, but not Arkane's best by any means.
4. Fairly challenging at times. If you died, you had to restart the entire day. No checkpoints or autosaves.
5. Not a whole lot of handholding.
What I didn't like:
As fun as the game was, it was one of the most frustrating and infuriating experiences I have been in a long time. The game needs many quality of life fixes that shouldn't alter the experience, but remove some of the tediousness.
1. Stealth was at times broken. Enemies could see you from a mile away and they would all converge upon your location no matter how far away you were from the action. This created major Havok at times.
2. The die and restart the loop thing made for a challenge, but it started to get old when the above issues reared their ugly head.
3. Julianna invasions got REALLY aggravating at times. That was a huge part of the game, but I found it created far more frustration than fun, especially towards the end.
4. You are stuck with the loadout you choose at the beginning of the map and can't change it. This was downright infuriating when you accidentally started a level with the wrong loadout. It meant you either had to complete the level with the given loadout or quit the level and progress into another day with the preferred loadout.
5. Enemies would just swarm you if you were spotted and it was insane how many kept appearing.
Some major quality of life fixes I'd like to see in future updates.
1. The ability to switch weapons/powers after you start the level. Have it in the tunnel. maybe even make it a one time thing so you don't have to repeat the loop when you are trying to do a perfect run. Or give players the option to restart the map so they can pick a new loadout. You could exit the game and it would restart the map, but you were still stuck with the same loadout. No reason that can't be fixed.
2. Have the option to turn off Julianna invasions after you complete the main game once. Caused wayy too much frustration when she would appear when you were trying to stealth your way through an area and do some trophy cleanups. On Fia's reactor level this was a whole new level of frustration.
Those two things would alter the experience.
Stuff I'd like to see in a sequel.
1. Have more ways to end the game instead of doing the perfect day. The game had one way to get to the ending. It would be nice to have a game where there were multiple ways to get to the ending.