• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop is a superb game...why do people want it to be bad so bad?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Take away the whole loop gimic you are left with essentially a worse modern Hitman game, you dont even get a homing briefcase. So why does Deathloop get all the praise and Hitman 3 just get to be a generic assassin 8/10 game despite far more interesting targets, superior level design and more intresting interactions between your character and the worlds NPC's?

Sneed Wagon

Neo Member
I'd hazard a guess it's because it was a good game that was revered as an amazing game by news outlets before actual leveled opinions could be made.

The dissonance between the two outlooks clashed and you had people calling the game overrated as early as its honeymoon phase.

Personally I enjoyed my time with it. I played knowing I'd get a unique experience, and that's exactly what I got. It's hardly the best shooter I've ever played, and maybe not even best written. Though the sum of its parts gave me something I've personally never experienced before in interactive media.

I think that's worth at least something.

FlyyGOD

Because unless you have a PC you need a Playstation to play it at this point. It’s just how it goes. Look at any timed exclusive, the ones being left out are always salty. Do you ever see Playstation fans rave about how great The Ascent looks? It’s mostly about downplaying and concerns or talk about how it’ll be better or cheaper or less buggy later etc.
Absolutely ridiculous assumption. Nobody want Deathloop to be bad. This sounds like projection to me.

Fredrik

Absolutely ridiculous assumption. Nobody want Deathloop to be bad. This sounds like projection to me.
It’s what the OP asks about, if you think it’s ridiculous then post your own assumption on why the talk is the way it is. I’m saying it’s salt. You’re saying what?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I have had an Xbox for the last year and just got a PS5 (mainly for Deathloop). It is really an amazing game. I'm still trying to figure out how it all works but it looks great, plays smoothly and is very polished. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Kydd BlaZe

Just completed this recently. Huge fan of Arkane, but I never understood the 10/10 scores this game received. It’s a very tough game to understand at first and you’ll spend a lot of time really trying to figure out just what the hell you have to do just to progress the game/story. Almost felt impossible to beat without some sort of guide, and it starts to get really repetitive after a while when you’re looping and can’t really figure out what you’re supposed to be doing.

With that said, I definitely appreciated it for what it was. It was certainly a unique experience, and once I finally got the hang of it I really began to enjoy it.

Dr. Suchong

My biggest pet peeve was Julianna’s writing, she was so obnoxious - I couldn’t wait to kill her at the end of the game
Aside from a ridiculously obvious revelation at the end, revealing a more human side to her, she had as much depth as a carpark puddle.
Just spat childish vitriol.
I agree, I didn't hesitate to shoot her at the end.
Loved the game though!, Arkane are masters at encouraging exploration and rewarding players for their inquisitiveness.

Mossybrew

I enjoyed the game but it's very poorly paced. It starts as a fun and interesting experience, but by halfway through you've seen everything the game has to offer and it just gets increasingly boring, you are literally just going through the motions and you still have hours left to play if you want to finish and break the loop.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

It’s what the OP asks about, if you think it’s ridiculous then post your own assumption on why the talk is the way it is. I’m saying it’s salt. You’re saying what?
I'm asking the question is the salt coming from the Sony side since it's a Microsoft studio?

CitizenZ

Banned
Arkane is one of my favorite devs(best level designers in the business), but for me, there is something about the art style and attitude. Its too...gamey? IDK, Ill pick it up eventually on a deep, deep sale but nothing grabs me about it as its a must play, right away.

Fredrik

I'm asking the question is the salt coming from the Sony side since it's a Microsoft studio?
I’m just posting what I see. From a Sony fan side of things I would say things are complicated, some are boasting about having yet another critically acclaimed exclusive, but some are looking ahead and seeing that this is the last good Arkane game they’ll get to play and try to downplay the positives of both the dev and game to soften the future blow.

From a Xbox fan side of things it’s also complicated, it’s an awkward scenario this year but it might easier to swallow the downside from an exclusivity deal this time. Some are annoyed that Sony have yet another critically acclaimed exclusive this year but some realize that the game will eventually come to Xbox, and to Gamepass, and are glad to see the quality of the dev knowing that future games will be exclusive to Xbox.

I can understand both scenarios. Haven’t played it though, I’m too cheap to pay for something that I know will be on Gamepass so I’ll play it on Xbox or PC sometime next year.

The game has poor performance on pc so unless your lucky enough to get a ps5 you have to tend with another terrible Dishonored 2 style port from arkane studios. And thats before we talk about how the limit the amount of powers and weaponds and basic stuff you can carry at one time. The game looks like it gives you dishonred/doom style inventory were you get everything or anything you want and can keep everything at all times and not have to pick and choose like your doing a loadout in call of duty.

Top Bottom