• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop is a superb game...why do people want it to be bad so bad?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Personally, I got sick of this game before it even released. Seems like every industry presser for the last two years has been "Deathloop Deathloop Deathloop"

In this case, less would have been more. By the time it came out I was only excited because it meant I wouldn't have it sit through yet another 10 minute presentation on the game in next year's E3.

Shut0wen

As an xbox and switch owner im so gutted ill probs never play this game because it looks like a easy top 5 best game this year imo, arkane are a great developer

McCheese

Personally, I got sick of this game before it even released. Seems like every industry presser for the last two years has been "Deathloop Deathloop Deathloop"

In this case, less would have been more. By the time it came out I was only excited because it meant I wouldn't have it sit through yet another 10 minute presentation on the game in next year's E3.

And then people keep making threads about why we all hate it. On my gravestone, somebody is going to bloody carve DEATH LOOP!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I wasn't wishing it was bad, Arkane is one of my favorite studios.

But in all the trailers leading up to the release the game looked awful to me. It looked so unappealing I wasn't even going to bother with it on Game Pass. After it got great reviews and seemingly a lot of people really like the game, I'm cautiously optimistic and looking forward to playing it on Game Pass next year.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
probably because of mediocre graphics and tidious advertising, was showing everytime on sony presentation when people were expecting gow2 or mgs remake etc
This.

Same thing happened with No Mans Sky last gen when Sony kept trying to shove an indie game down our throat conference after conference for almost 2 years.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was good, but it felt like a very trendy game. It had too many bursts of banter that were only good during your first experience with the game. The gunplay was good for a while and it was something to forget about. I had the same feeling with Dishonored 2. The gameplay felt good for a while, but the levels and objectives never stood out as something I wanted to redo 10 or so times in a row. You could obviously make adjustments to how you go about completing objectives, but for me it was never that satisfying after the day reset. I think the game would have been better had they not made you redo the whole thing, but does that even matter? It’s a rouge FPS. My feelings about it go against the genre and what that genre tries to accomplish.

You're fucking naive if you think otherwise. I never said they were bad characters though and its the only opinion I may be swayed by when someone says they liked the game but that is it because everything else is absolute mediocrity and I will even go as far and say that's a fucking fact, at least compared to Prey or Dishonored 2.
Deathloop doesn’t need to be endlessly compared to Prey ot Dishonored in order for it to be considered anything is the point YOU are missing.

I’ve never played either of those games and neither does anyone else need to in order to appreciate the game for what it does.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Unmemorable characters.
Unmemorable Locale.
Gameplay is the most shallow in ANY Arkane release in years.
AI is the dumbest I have seen in any AAA title I have seen in years.
Nothing about hte game is ‘unique’. It’s a basic gameplay loop that feels boring and monotonous. There is very little you can do “off the beaten path” and there is a very clear and present “one way” route to get the ending.

The game is mediocre by all counts on my end. If you like it? So be it. But don’t try to make this out to be anything other than what it is: People aren’t that hot on this game. It has nothing to do with console warring. It has nothing to do with “woke/SJW/Anit-SJW”. It’s just a mediocre product.

The game is nice; its just that it was shown too much by sony in their state of plays, and ended up being just alright (like minimal cutscenes, limited map etc.). I personally enjoyed it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was a very good game that I recently platinumed, but it was one of the most frustrating games I have played in a long time. It had a lot of little things that were annoying. The way enemies would swarm you, and that you were stuck with the same loadout if you accidentally entered a map. Stealth was completely broken at times. I can't count how many times I got seen when I was out of sight. Other little things.

Last edited:

Markio128

I really enjoyed the first couple of hours, when the game pointed me in the right direction - but once the game left me to it, I lost interest really fast. Shame really because I was having a good time up until that point. It all became too much like hard work. Maybe it’s because I need to think so much at work and just want the opposite when I game.

Arachnid

I almost want it to win GOTY just to taste the salt. Thankfully, this threads alright giving me by sodium intake for the day so my vote goes to RE8.

Kokoloko85

Because Playstation did trailers for it a million times, when we wanted new game annoucements

Last edited:
My initial experience with this game wasn't good at all. I actually stopped playing, but I'll try again some time. It's the first game in a long time I kind of regret buying, even though I got it at half price. I thought it would be a slam dunk because I like Dishonored and Prey.

The setting was kind of ugly and uninteresting and the characters were all obnoxious. Even the main character, a lot of his dialogue early on just didn't work for me. The game constantly feels like it's winking at you and trying to be clever but then it forgets to provide a story a world or characters that grab you. It's like I loved the worlds of Dishonored and Prey, but I don't enjoy being in the world of Deathloop at all.

I don't think people give rogue-likes a fair shake to start with, and I'm usually one of them tbh. I thought most rogue-lite games were just a cheap way to artificially lengthen what should have been a great, concise shorter indie title.
On top of that, showing AI that doesn't seem to do much and Dishonored type gameplay isn't for everyone. Dishonored didn't exactly light up the sales charts. It seems more like a puzzle game with FPS elements. I don't think I'd like it, but I love Returnal. So some rogue-likes are starting to win me over. I might get Deathloop when it's cheaper.

I’m reserving judgement until I can play it when it comes to Xbox. As for Arkane’s games I’ve really only played Dishonored 1 and Prey. Dishonored was pretty good, but not my favorite thing ever. Prey was really good, but could’ve been shorter as it kinda overstays it’s welcome and gets old after a while.

From what I read Deathloop is closer to Dishonored than Prey, so when I do play it I may not have high expectations of loving it. Arcane make good games, but none have really “clicked”, with me personally yet.
I guarantee when it hits xbox, its suddenly going to become one of Arkanes best games to xbox gamers. " i didnt like it at first, but wow, it's like Dishonored, but with multiplayer"....:messenger_smirking:

Topher

Gold Member
You could feel the fanboys in turmoil in every thread.

The blue rats wanted to brag about it, but they knew that a sequel was never going to grace their console.

The green rats wanted to say that it looked bad, but couldn't because it was from a 1st party studio and the franchise (should it become one) will be on their console.

It has been amusing to say the least

The attitudes around this game have been bizarre to say the least. I haven't engaged in much of the conversation as the game hasn't interested me, but you can tell at times a lot of folks are struggling to form their console war narratives when it comes to this game. Doesn't fit the typical mold for either side.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I didnt like it, the shooting felt horrible, honestly the worst shooting I've ever experienced in a FPS. I couldnt play it more than 4 hours before giving up on it. The story and narrative were super interesting to me, just not enough to wade through the gameplay.

I honestly believe the game is good. But not as good as their previous games. And yes, even if it was a little boost, it did benefit from having PoC Black protagonists to get better review scores than their previous games.

sainraja

I like the game. The only low point for me was the AI. It was too easy to go through the first encounters but looks like AI thing has been addressed.

NahaNago

I thought the game just looked boring from the first trailer and then they had that marketing campaign that seemed to go on for forever didn't help when I already wasn't feeling it.

Deathloop doesn’t need to be endlessly compared to Prey ot Dishonored in order for it to be considered anything is the point YOU are missing.

I’ve never played either of those games and neither does anyone else need to in order to appreciate the game for what it does.

What a dumb reply. If we cant compare things, we might as well just make every game the same and give it a 10. Anyway glad you liked it, but I doubt critics liked it for the same reason you did.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Ever since Deathloop was revealed people have been seemingly wishing it was bad. After it released to critical appeal people seemingly stuck to their guns claiming it's bad or undeserving of praise. Why do people want to dislike this game so much? It has some of the best level design of all time and a really fun gameplay loop where you can play it for 15 minutes or 5 hours.
I don’t want to read about it ever.

marketing for this game suuuuucked.
I’m sure its fine 👆

Cryio

I'd say people got sour with it due to the following:

1) Game announced way too early
2) Sony had no games to show for a long time, so they showed TOO MANY previews
3) Tons of ads and trailers all the time before it coming out
4) Too many mechanics not properly explained even AFTER it was shown so much
5) As much as Arkhane's games are absolutely brilliant, they're too complex and ambitious for mass market appeal. Dishonored 1 was a one off miracle as far as its succes is concerned
6) People are sort of sour on Arkhane due to: janky Dishonored 2 performance on consoles. BOTCHED Dishonored 2 launch on PC. For many, underwhelming standalone expansion Death of the Outsider, compared to The Brigmore Witches.
7) People being irrationally upset at them due to Prey "stealing the spotlight from Prey 2", even if it was Bethesda's call all along for the games to share the same name.
8) Deathloop is one of the first "next-gen only" console games, yet because it's Arkhane, it's got a stylized aspect to it, whereas people were expecting amazing next-gen visuals a la Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Demon's Souls Remake.
9) Reputation of janky performance on PC due to launching with no DLSS, performance being erratic, RT being underwhelming on PC and broken on consoles and mouse movement being janky.
10) It's a roguelike, which took people by surprise.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I honestly think people were really tired hearing about it. Seeing all the advertising, etc. For the longest time, no one really knew how the game really played, etc. By the time it was finally about to release a lot of people were happy because they thought they didn't have to hear or see it anymore.

Some people may just hate cause they like to hate, haha. But I know people had issues with it on PC because of performance, some just wish it had more content, etc. I figured it'd be a fine game, just thought I'd wait to check it out for awhile.

anthony2690

Banned
Salt.

Xbox fans want it to be bad since they can’t play it.

Playstation fans want it to be bad since it’s a Xbox Game Studio game and a sequel won’t arrive on Playstation.

Really? I was happy to hear it was great, I like the dishonored series.
& It means it's another game for me to look forward to next year alongside redfall & starfield & whatever else comes. :)

Last edited:
When several publications give the game perfect or near perfect scores, obviously expectations are going to be through the roof and gamers are going to expect perfection. Any little flaw or imperfection will generally be called out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A big reason is that people got sick of seeing it on every single trailer sizzle reel for months on end, to the point that it became a meme.

A good reason? No, but a big one. Also the rabid anti woke crowd didn't like it because anything without a white male protag is pandering.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Personally I'm glad I took a moment away from the game. They ended up coming out with some new patches that somewhat addresses the poor AI, pvp issues, the physics and the performance.

I ended up finishing the game and pretty much uninstalled. If there is dlc i will jump back in.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Because it is GENUINELY bad. So bad that they're "fixing" the shit AI MONTHS later.

Graphics - terrible
Sound - average
Gameplay - okay but the same as dishonored, ai drags it down
Buggy
Level design - good
Story - terrible

The fact this game is leading in GOTY nominations says a lot about the gaming industry.

JayK47

I have it on my Steam wishlist. I plan to get it at some point. Have not heard that it is bad, but also not super awesome either.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Because it is GENUINELY bad. So bad that they're "fixing" the shit AI MONTHS later.

Graphics - terrible
Sound - average
Gameplay - okay but the same as dishonored, ai drags it down
Buggy
Level design - good
Story - terrible

The fact this game is leading in GOTY nominations says a lot about the gaming industry.

Yep I had faith in the game and even defended it here before its release.But now having played it at a friend's house it is not great and I didn't really liked it wwhich is weird because I loved their version of prey and dishonored 1&2.That AI was atrocious and the kick way overpowered.

//DEVIL//

Ill answer the OP question honestly.

Its because the guys made thegame became MS exclusive and Sony fanboys don't want to support them...
If the studio was owned by sony, you would have seen everyone all over it. same goes with if the game was MS exclusive on MS console.

.......that or the game looks ugly and boring from the videos I have seen..

lol

I've got no skin in the console war and am an Arkane fanboy. To me Deathloop felt like a $39.99 game. At that price I'd look at it differently because it's not meant as a full product. It's rough around the edges and the very core concept doesn't even feel fleshed out.

Deathloop was a big step backwards for Arkane, and yet the reviewers fell all over themselves praising it.
The gameplay loop gets worse the longer you play. There's no plot to speak of. The immersive sim aspect of their games has been almost entirely removed.
Prey and the Dishonored games were simply better, with WAY more replay value, and none of them got the praise that Deathloop received. Deathloop was an OK game that is being treated like it's an all-time great.

Top Bottom