• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop – Official Gameplay Walkthrough

On paper Hades is exactly what you described and yet I've spend 60 hours with it and counting...

Returnal 20 hours and counting.

With Prey Mooncrash I finished up with around 25 hours.

It's a rogue like. It will live or die based on the quality of the gameplay loop. Arkane have rarely let anyone down in that department.

I'll just say that if you go into this expecting an FPS (or play it like a traditional FPS) you'll likely be disappointed.

We'll see how it turns out. No point getting excited about it. Hades was exceptionally extended and had gameplay variety. Deathloop feels like any other Arcane game, a gameplay loop you'd maybe want to play through once or twice, unlike any other roguelikes/lites. They promoted it with full combat mostly but I saw some stealth here and there and if I can do each loop full stealth, like their previous games, than that will certainly extend and please me immensly.

Shmunter

Voicework is super weak. Why does a 30 year old sound like some whiny school girl?I also hated Alloy in the Horizon trailers so maybe its not that bad.

Ultimately I hate deathloop. Im tired of seeing it.
The gameplay is unknown and still may prove to be innovative, who knows. But the idiotic commentary is a total turn off. It’s so bad it’s sufficient for me to skip this.

Must be getting to old or something. Kids these days.

Green_Eyes

Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

MastaKiiLA

I'll just repeat what I said in the livestream thread. I think the SoP was a good idea, as it allowed us to see more of the gamplay mechanics, and better understand what makes this different from a regular FPS. My interest had waned considerably since the initial reveal, and this got me more interested, although it didn't sell me.

I like that it's not a multiplayer-focused FPS, because I hate those. This looks like it'll have story, and a decent campaign. It looks like a fun game to play by yourself, and get creative with kills, or stealth your way around. However, what keeps this from being a win for me are the visuals. I know it's a stylized look, but it's possible to be stylized, and still have more impressive visuals. Things that bugged me were the poor enemy designs. There's just not a lot to them. We've seen the clown army kind of thing done before, but these were just a bunch of mannequins being offed. Also, it's a bit off-putting seeing a snowy environment, where there is little to no interaction with any of the snow. Both the main character, and the enemies (plus the weapons too) just don't seem to be a part of the world. No footprints, weapons sitting on top of snow, like it's concrete, and the shadows make it look like the characters are all hovering on these surfaces.

I don't know much about Arkane, but I thought they had financial backing of Bethesda. I was expecting the visuals to improve from last year, but they don't seem to have improved at all. I'm not wowed by this, and that's kinda what I need to pull the trigger on an FPS. That said, if it reviews really well, I'll have to take a look, but for now, it's kinda meh. When I get a PS5, I want to focus on indies that offer quirky-but-fun game experiences, and visual juggernauts. I don't know if I have time for this game, which looks competent, but isn't a stunner in any particular area.

But good on Sony to do the SoP. I hope it gets fans of the genre to give the game a proper look.

Troozi

Nah, it's a pass for me.

This feels like one of those games that I won't buy straight away, then wait year for it to be £15 in some sale, play it for an hour and then never go back to it.

GymWolf

Game looks fucking amazing! I'm officially annoyed it's on PS5 first for a year now lol cause I'm not getting this on my PS5.. Can't wait to play this is on Series X. Also makes me even more excited for Redfall, which seems to take the concept further but with 4 unique character personalities.

Loving this fucking artstyle!
Why don't you buy the game on ps5?!

Isn't already 4k60 on ps5?!

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I can't seem to find any hype for this in me. The art style is horrible, the game doesn't seem to be as complex in terms of assassinations as Hitman, some powers look too OP and it certainly doesn't look like a PS5-only game.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find any hype for this in me. The art style is horrible, the game doesn't seem to be as complex in terms of assassinations as Hitman, some powers look too OP and it certainly doesn't look like a PS5-only game.

Agreed, although I’m not much of a Bethesda person to begin with.

Looking polished and graphics look nice. Definitely close to release.

Wasn't sold on gameplay, but latest showing looks amazing. Dishonoured without holding me back via different endings.

I have a question, does your health regenerate or do you have a fixed pool?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Idk but the video runs at 30fps and with tons of stutter to boot. Or maybe it's uncapped and fluctuates, but it looks really bad in motion in that video.

I'm sure there will be a 60 FPS mode, maybe the state of play was 30FPS and that was causing the issue. We have seen this before, makes the game look stuttery due to the encode.

Andodalf

Banned
Blows my mind how much marketing Sony are doing for a 1st Party Xbox game that will be on GP day one.

They knew they had a hole in their lineup and bought a year of 2 Bethesda games to fill it. Made sense at the time

I think it's safe to say if this was made from Sony studios or first party, it'll be praised and worshipped, but considering microsoft owns bethesda now, Sony fanboys are turning this game into a negative.

Chevy Chase could be making the game for all I care

Esteldan

This game looks like a flop. I think putting it out for free via PS Plus and Game pass later on when the exclusive deal ends would be a very smart move.

With Halo Infinite, Battlefield 2042 and Call of duty 2021 coming out around the same time, this game is going to get lost and forgotten.

Possibly, less AAA Single Player games around these days though so for anyone less keen on GaaS it may have a decent share of the market to itself.

Biggest problem Arkane have is that Bethesda horribly markets their products (maybe this will change in time with Microsoft behind the wheel, though their video game marketing is a mixed bag also).

Before this video I was heavily turned off by Deathloop as it seemed like more an FPS with some GaaS gimmick based on the marketing. Now we get some concrete gameplay and it actually looks more in line with Dishonored and I'll probably get it Day 1.

They did this with Prey too, it was marketed as a generic sci-fi shooter despite the finished product being possibly the best Immersive Sim in that style since System Shock 2. By the time anyone realised how creative it actually was it was already in the bargain bin and the Studio Founder had been fired. Thanks Bethesda.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Does not matter if it's good. It has this flop aura around it. I don't think anyone will play it

Yep. It will sell just as bad as Prey if not worse. I've heard some folks say "well maybe PS5 owners will buy it cuz there's not much else" but in September PS5 owners also get

September 10 - Tales of Arise
September 16 - Rainbow Six Extraction
September 23 - Diablo II Remastered
September 24 - Death Stranding: Director's Cut
September 24 - Lost Judgement

Looks to me like PS5 owners have plenty other options. Who the fuck is gonna pay $60 for Deathloop except for me & a few other enthusiasts?

RGB'D

I am super hyped for this game. I'm really holding out hope that they will lowkey add it to PC Gamepass, but if not I will buy on PC for MSRP. I could buy for my PS5 but if it's anything like Prey, the PC version will be significantly better than console and dual sense support doesn't sway me that much (especially since they keep stick drifting on me). But Arkane is one of my top 3 developers and they haven't disappointed yet.

Day 1, and with microsoft backing, Arkane will forever be making these type of games regardless what the casual thinks. Win win.

GymWolf

Day 1, and with microsoft backing, Arkane will forever be making these type of games regardless what the casual thinks. Win win.
My fear is the exact opposite, being semi-independent was the reasons why they tried risky games like dish or prey, and now under M they are making their first heavy multyplayer game (i don't consider the small multy part in deathloop that important tbh, the game is 99% single player).

We are not gonna have dish3 or prey 2 full single player under microsoft...hopefully i'm wrong.

My fear is the exact opposite, being semi-independent was the reasons why they tried risky games like dish or prey, and now under M they are making their first heavy multyplayer game (i don't consider the small multy part in deathloop that important tbh, the game is 99% single player).

We are not gonna have dish3 or prey 2 full single player under microsoft...hopefully i'm wrong.
You were not getting them anyway with how yhe series ughh 'underperform' before ms bought them.

GymWolf

You were not getting them anyway with how yhe series ughh 'underperform' before ms bought them.
Sooo...why are you happy?!

Deathloop was made before the M acquisition and the only new project under them is a 4 coop multyplayer game...and i don't know you, but i like my arkane immersive sims single player only...

Last edited:
It like Dishonored but with more guns.
i know, sounds awesome to me! at first i was like mehhhh but now that i've seen a lot more gameplay i'm actually really excited for it. i really really like pretty much everything arkane has done. i wonder if it's coming to gamepass on PC day one

GymWolf

To me one of the best selling point is that you have to do stuff to group the targets in a unique place to kill some of them at the same time because the devs said that it is impossible to kill them separately.

And knowing how much freedom arkane games have, i expect some genius mechanics to achieve that, youtubers are gonna have a lot of fun trying to create the perfect loop where you kill all the targets in the smallest amount of time.

This video kinda explain what i'm trying to say

Last edited:

RGB'D

Redfall was in production before the acquisition. MS has not impacted the development of that game (or deathloop) at all.

GymWolf

Redfall was in production before the acquisition. MS has not impacted the development of that game (or deathloop) at all.
Do we have info about the genre of this game?! I only know that it is a multyplayer project...

Does not matter if it's good. It has this flop aura around it. I don't think anyone will play it

Like all of arcane's games than? I dont get it. They have such high quality but they always underperform. What is it that turns people away? The art style? The lack of deep storytelling.

GymWolf

Like all of arcane's games than? I dont get it. They have such high quality but they always underperform. What is it that turns people away? The art style? The lack of deep storytelling.
Casuals don't like to use their brain or just not exceptional graphic with kinda janky animations\weak plots (but great lore and world building).

The fact that a lot of people think that botw or tlou2 are the pinnacle of level design for last gen make me feel like a mix of cringe and pity.

Last edited:
Yep. It will sell just as bad as Prey if not worse. I've heard some folks say "well maybe PS5 owners will buy it cuz there's not much else" but in September PS5 owners also get

September 10 - Tales of Arise
September 16 - Rainbow Six Extraction
September 23 - Diablo II Remastered
September 24 - Death Stranding: Director's Cut
September 24 - Lost Judgement

Looks to me like PS5 owners have plenty other options. Who the fuck is gonna pay $60 for Deathloop except for me & a few other enthusiasts?

Besides Lost Judgment they're multiplat. R6 will most likely be played on PC and same with D2, Tales of Arise will have a huge boost on steam as well based on previous ones and most ps5 owners own both a PC and the console itself and would rather wait for exclusives only. The games I mentioned can be purchased A LOT more cheaper as well on PC. That being said, I will save my money for Lost Judgment because the prequel was my goty so I'm all in on it. Death Loop can wait.

Corgi1985

Banned
Possibly, less AAA Single Player games around these days though so for anyone less keen on GaaS it may have a decent share of the market to itself.

Biggest problem Arkane have is that Bethesda horribly markets their products (maybe this will change in time with Microsoft behind the wheel, though their video game marketing is a mixed bag also).

Before this video I was heavily turned off by Deathloop as it seemed like more an FPS with some GaaS gimmick based on the marketing. Now we get some concrete gameplay and it actually looks more in line with Dishonored and I'll probably get it Day 1.

They did this with Prey too, it was marketed as a generic sci-fi shooter despite the finished product being possibly the best Immersive Sim in that style since System Shock 2. By the time anyone realised how creative it actually was it was already in the bargain bin and the Studio Founder had been fired. Thanks Bethesda.
Yeah the few people I introduced prey to all loved it and didn't know it existed. Bethesda's is terrible at marketing their games. Hell, everyone thought Doom 2016 was going to flop because of the awful beta.

amscanner

I don't understand such a hate on this. Calling this game 'boring and uninspired' while praising generic samey 3rd person action adventures?

Top Bottom