• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop – Official Gameplay Walkthrough

TonyK

I really love Dishonored 1, 2, and Prey. I think they have some of the best designed levels I played in my life. However, I don't feel any hype for Deathloop. I don't know exactly why, but I see the gameplay and I don't feel I want to play that.

First, I don't like the concept of dying and repeating. Second, I don't like the idea of that other player or AI chasing you. Third, I don't like how they try to sell a fast paced game.

I loved the slow pacing of their previous games. This gameplay is super weird, like slow and fast pacing at the same time. It seems DOOM Eternal + Hitman, and the mix is super weird for me.

However, if reviews are +90% in Metacritic I will give it an opportunity.

Hezekiah

Banned
You can't just throw money..... now let's see gameplay for this $70 moneyhatted game that will be free for the "others" a few months from now

On topic, game looks fantastic, arkane never disappoints, I'm looking forward to play it on gp
Isn't it September 2022 that it will be on GamePass?

I might subscribe to PC GamePass if reviews are decent.

rofif

Banned
Like all of arcane's games than? I dont get it. They have such high quality but they always underperform. What is it that turns people away? The art style? The lack of deep storytelling.
art style and jus another 4 people shooty game.
I am absolutely not interested and I've bought and loved PREY

GymWolf

I really love Dishonored 1, 2, and Prey. I think they have some of the best designed levels I played in my life. However, I don't feel any hype for Deathloop. I don't know exactly why, but I see the gameplay and I don't feel I want to play that.

First, I don't like the concept of dying and repeating. Second, I don't like the idea of that other player or AI chasing you. Third, I don't like how they try to sell a fast paced game.

I loved the slow pacing of their previous games. This gameplay is super weird, like slow and fast pacing at the same time. It seems DOOM Eternal + Hitman, and the mix is super weird for me.

Dishonored saga always had more action trailers than what the games actually are.

I bet you can go stealth in deathloop too.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nah, my PS5 is for Sony exclusives and games I can't get on Series X. Series X will be for everything else. Plus I also get the PC version with Xbox, so buying it on PS5 for me wouldn't make sense. I hope PS5 only gamers support it though cause it looks great.
Clear, but personally i couldn't wait one year for a game i'm hyped for.

art style and jus another 4 people shooty game.
I am absolutely not interested and I've bought and loved PREY

but even dishonored and prey underperformed even though they were great single player games. this is why we're getting deathloop instead of prey 2 or dishonored 3. after deathloop, i expect they will do a live service multiplayer game and it will be the end of arcane and single player games from them. sad end to a very talented studio.

GymWolf

but even dishonored and prey underperformed even though they were great single player games. this is why we're getting deathloop instead of prey 2 or dishonored 3. after deathloop, i expect they will do a live service multiplayer game and it will be the end of arcane and single player games from them. sad end to a very talented studio.
I mean deathloop is still 100% single player if you play offline.

And even if you are online, having a single dude that sometimes you fight for a couple of minutes is hardly multy heavy...

Clear, but personally i couldn't wait one year for a game i'm hyped for.

I have plenty else to play in the mean time till it comes, plus it's coming to Game Pass day one when it hits Xbox. To buy it on my secondary console would def be a waste of money unless it was a true exclusive. Then again, it's coming to PC. If Microsoft allows a PC purchase of it now to translate to Xbox, then I'll do that and play on my PC.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Besides Lost Judgment they're multiplat. R6 will most likely be played on PC and same with D2, Tales of Arise will have a huge boost on steam as well based on previous ones and most ps5 owners own both a PC and the console itself and would rather wait for exclusives only. The games I mentioned can be purchased A LOT more cheaper as well on PC. That being said, I will save my money for Lost Judgment because the prequel was my goty so I'm all in on it. Death Loop can wait.

I know they're multiplat, so is Deathloop. Same month as PS5, likely same day too. Its only PS5 console exclusive, and timed at that.

My point is simply that there's so many other titles in September, this is gonna be overshadowed. In your case its Judgement.

Can't help but feel there are a lot of people who aren't interested only because Microsoft now owns the studio. Very few games shown for PS5 thus far look anywhere as fun or as high quality an experience as this one does.

My fear is the exact opposite, being semi-independent was the reasons why they tried risky games like dish or prey, and now under M they are making their first heavy multyplayer game (i don't consider the small multy part in deathloop that important tbh, the game is 99% single player).

We are not gonna have dish3 or prey 2 full single player under microsoft...hopefully i'm wrong.
Hope so too - that did not look like the most interesting thing to me

This is something that I've been wondering. Is this the kind of game that will always be connected online? Will there always be someone chasing you? I'd hope you'd be able to just have it so the AI only controls that other character.

Corgi1985

Banned
I know they're multiplat, so is Deathloop. Same month as PS5, likely same day too. Its only PS5 console exclusive, and timed at that.

My point is simply that there's so many other titles in September, this is gonna be overshadowed. In your case its Judgement.
Yeah this type of game is perfect for a june/July release. Releasing in the fall with every other fucking thing is going to kill any chance this might have.

Also I fucking love arkane but this looks like a mid gen ps4 game. It's not nearly pretty enough to justify the garbage frame drops.

TransTrender

Gold Member
First time I've seen any media for this game.
VtjpkhT.gif

Something seems off here....

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Eh will see. Arkane deserves better and I will certainly get it after I finish Judgment. I'm just worried about its longevity.

I'll just repeat what I said in the livestream thread. I think the SoP was a good idea, as it allowed us to see more of the gamplay mechanics, and better understand what makes this different from a regular FPS. My interest had waned considerably since the initial reveal, and this got me more interested, although it didn't sell me.

I like that it's not a multiplayer-focused FPS, because I hate those. This looks like it'll have story, and a decent campaign. It looks like a fun game to play by yourself, and get creative with kills, or stealth your way around. However, what keeps this from being a win for me are the visuals. I know it's a stylized look, but it's possible to be stylized, and still have more impressive visuals. Things that bugged me were the poor enemy designs. There's just not a lot to them. We've seen the clown army kind of thing done before, but these were just a bunch of mannequins being offed. Also, it's a bit off-putting seeing a snowy environment, where there is little to no interaction with any of the snow. Both the main character, and the enemies (plus the weapons too) just don't seem to be a part of the world. No footprints, weapons sitting on top of snow, like it's concrete, and the shadows make it look like the characters are all hovering on these surfaces.

I don't know much about Arkane, but I thought they had financial backing of Bethesda. I was expecting the visuals to improve from last year, but they don't seem to have improved at all. I'm not wowed by this, and that's kinda what I need to pull the trigger on an FPS. That said, if it reviews really well, I'll have to take a look, but for now, it's kinda meh. When I get a PS5, I want to focus on indies that offer quirky-but-fun game experiences, and visual juggernauts. I don't know if I have time for this game, which looks competent, but isn't a stunner in any particular area.

But good on Sony to do the SoP. I hope it gets fans of the genre to give the game a proper look.

Just because some multiplayer focused FPS games tend to not offer much in the way of story or campaign doesn't mean they all won't.

Their next game has 4 characters that have different personalities and their own story motivation for being in the town. There will be story details and more according to what they've said. Can also be played alone. There will be gear, skill trees to customize and upgrade to fit your playstyle etc.

Also, this is a smaller game from Arkane. Their bigger budget game is Redfall next year. Deathloop is a smaller budget release, but still looks great.

John Wick

Graphics look fantastic, art direction is incredible, gameplay looks amazing and inventive. I see all kinds of possibilities. The game looks like a definite hit to me. I don't know how anybody can look at that and claim the graphics look outdated... what?
The company is now owned by MS.....
The game doesn't look so exciting now.....
Console wars.......
You get my drift...

Thirty7ven

Banned
Looks super boring and low budget. It should be a PS+ release or a 40$ game.

Can't help but feel there are a lot of people who aren't interested only because Microsoft now owns the studio. Very few games shown for PS5 thus far look anywhere as fun or as high quality an experience as this one does.

There was no hype for this game before, nobody ever considered it a looker, at best people were curious about its concept. Just because it's a Xbox studios game, now its supposed to be different? "Graphics look fantastic", lol come on, jesus. I guess if you look at it from the POV of "It's a gamepass game", then sure.

Last edited:

ButchCat

Ignore Youtube compression, there are some visual differences. I don't know if it's an artistic choice or if the changes were made to make room for optimization but they've played around with the neon signs as there is some missing shadow detail in the new walkthrough

Screenshot from last year's gameplay reveal trailer.

wzyfbk0.png

Screenshot from new gameplay walkthrough

RZWP3ZI.png

Ignore Youtube compression, there are some visual differences. I don't know if it's an artistic choice or if the changes were made to make room for optimization but they've played around with the neon signs as there is some missing shadow detail in the new walkthrough

Screenshot from last year's gameplay reveal trailer.

wzyfbk0.png

Screenshot from new gameplay walkthrough

RZWP3ZI.png

Second shot has much better contrast and looks atmospheric.

First one looks cartoony.

Inviusx

Not vibing with the attitude of this game. The main character is too "edgy cool guy" and I was already sick of hearing the chick on the radio 5 minutes into this demo.

This seems revolutionary for a 2011 game.

Last edited:
Sadly, I just can't get into cartoony action games as much as those that are not. It just doesn't feel immersive. Borderlands 2 is still probably one of my favorite games of all time, but games like that I would prefer to not have the cartoon gimmick.

SSfox

Wow only 3 pages!!! i mean i'm not excited about the game but i though it would hit more pages in this time frame lol

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Wow I didn't even know this was a PlayStation exclusive. Goes to show how closely I follow gaming news for stuff I'm not already on the look out for.

Anyways, I'm just not feeling it. It has a lot of character but it looks rote and after Returnal I am done with roguelike-ish games for a good long while.

Graphics look fantastic, art direction is incredible, gameplay looks amazing and inventive. I see all kinds of possibilities. The game looks like a definite hit to me. I don't know how anybody can look at that and claim the graphics look outdated... what?

Script is phenomenal. Voice acting is stellar. Game is made by a newly acquired Xbox studio, so let's use every adjective to convey how exquisitely, uniquely, stupendously good the title is...I got your back with some adverbs.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Just because some multiplayer focused FPS games tend to not offer much in the way of story or campaign doesn't mean they all won't.

Their next game has 4 characters that have different personalities and their own story motivation for being in the town. There will be story details and more according to what they've said. Can also be played alone. There will be gear, skill trees to customize and upgrade to fit your playstyle etc.

Also, this is a smaller game from Arkane. Their bigger budget game is Redfall next year. Deathloop is a smaller budget release, but still looks great.
FPSes aren't my thing in general, but I can get behind one that has a story and nice visuals. I enjoyed both Shadowfall and Resistance, for example. This looks like it'll have the story elements I like, and honestly, the gameplay mechanics look fun. I like a grappling hook/teleport mechanic, to zip around levels. But the visuals aren't doing it for me. It's probably my biggest gripe with the demo. I was expecting more in that department.

Still, I hope it reviews well, so I might be encouraged to give it further consideration. Of course, all of this hinges on me getting ahold of a PS5, which might not be realistic until 2022 at this rate.
Wow only 3 pages!!! i mean i'm not excited about the game but i though it would hit more pages in this time frame lol
TBF, it kinda received a lukewarm reception at the PS5 reveal last year. Over the ensuing months, it probably lost even more favorability, due to all the trailers doing a rather poor job of demonstrating what made this different from a generic FPS. It just looked like any old FPS, with a death loop mechanic, and so-so visuals. This SoP showed more of the gameplay, and I think it did a good job in showing how it could be fun to play. However, I don't know if it's going to resonate with the PS fans on this forum, who don't seem to be all the hyped for FPS games in general. I think that's a genre that resonates more with the Xbox fans on this board, rather than PS fans. So the response on here was probably always going to be rather muted.

How it performs in sales will be interesting. I'm sure that with a clever ad campaign, and little competition in the release schedule, it could possibly do well for itself. Or, it could be an immense flop that Sony regrets signing an exclusivity deal for.

makaveli60

I don’t know if I ever had such mixed feelings about a game. On the one hand the graphics, the world, the gameplay look amazing and Arkane is one of the best developers and I worry about their future but on the other hand ”roguelite” makes me puke, I can’t enjoy playing the same thing over and over again, the banter is horrendous and that assassin woman will be a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom