• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding TGS 2019 Gameplay Session Volume 1 gameplay walkthrough | Breaking Down The Gameplay Video | Gameplay Session Volume 2

Seems pretty decent, but I think it'd come off better if it were a more alien planet with super-weird landscapes and more hostile life you could interact with. Like, LV-426 meets crazy-ass Go Nagai shit, but not all the aliens want to kill you. Something like that.

Also I can see this game being perfect fodder for the "games-as-art" crowd...unfortunately I don't gel with those self-absorbed hipsters.

its a film

TBF this game's literally got a fleet of actual actors in it, so you gotta give a point for that one.

Last edited:

Hawke502

I dunno what animations looked 'janky', they look very similar to MGS animations, probably the same animator and that was never criticized much in that area.... I don't remember any. Maybe cause it was multiplatform?!?
The jump animations, the climbing, the first stealth kill. It all looked janky and sometimes it seemed like the character was stuck on the ground, if you can't see it, i don't know what to say, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

CyberPanda

Banned
The jump animations, the climbing, the first stealth kill. It all looked janky and sometimes it seemed like the character was stuck on the ground, if you can't see it, i don't know what to say, but it seems pretty obvious to me.
Noticed that too.

GymWolf

Yeah animations are for the most part very janky.

They look even worse than mgs5 animations.

But the game is interesting, kinda...

Last edited:

PapiKong

Banned
Totally agree with you. I don't get it, if you don't like the game why even bother posting in a thread about a video game you know you wont like. This is like talking to dumb WWE fans who complain about the product but still watch the show and pay for everything they have to offer?????
because we like to discuss about videogames and were curious about this game. I guess only positive posts are allowed, my bad, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
[/QUOTE]
Yo like when i don't like something i don't even bother looking up information about it, that's just me. The game isn't even out yet and people are already talking like its gonna be ass. And yeah im a little sensitive about it because the whole message behind my favorite kojima game (MGS2) was about Fanboyism and not getting what you want. Snake (Kojima) is literally telling the player to make their own future and not to be obsessed with literal words but to try and understand the meaning behind those words. So if you dont like something, why dont you just make it yourself? Make your own Death Stranding.

mortal

Gold Member
Not really.

You know very well how Kojima cultists are and you understood very well what the poster was saying.
"Kojima cultists" lol you think you're on 4chan? And no, I don't understand any of that nonsense. Nothing I said was false. We're disagreeing right now, are we not?

GHG

Gold Member
Not really.

You know very well how Kojima cultists are and you understood very well what the poster was saying.

Honestly this is so fucking boring it's nauseating.

Criticise the game itself not the people who are interested in the game or people who are fans of Kojima's work.

If you can't do that then it's pretty telling.

Hawke502

This is so disingenuous.

You aren't being banned or pilled on for speaking your opinion, you're being challenged or opinion is being contested. No one is stoping you from expressing yourself or hindering you from criticizing the game in anyway. There are of people literally doing that in this very thread.
I wasn't being serious, i was just making fun of some comments here complaining about people expressing their insatisfaction with the game.

Honestly this is so fucking boring it's nauseating.

Criticise the game itself not the people who are interested in the game or people who are fans of Kojima's work.

If you can't do that then it's pretty telling.
I'm thinking that you missed the whole context in that exchange.

iconmaster

Banned
They found a convincing Japanese voice actor for Norman Reedus.

I had to keep fast forwarding. In 49 minutes there was 1 encounter and 1 boss battle. I dunno. World still seems pretty empty. Would be better if it was Mad Max style and there were roving enemies. Still looking like a pass for me. Not seeing $60 worth of content.

It's very much not an action game, it seems. It'll depend a lot on how they entice the player to explore. Breath of the Wild's world was fun just to wander around in and see what you could find. This doesn't look to be on that level, but we'll see.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Well, I for one am still excited and very interested in what the game has to offer. I'm by no means a Kojima stan in any form either.

A LOT of the animations straight up remind me of MGSV. Weird stuttering here and there, a slight jank, etc. But nothing concerning or immersion breaking.

I'm just really wondering how much time you're expected to put into this, because it looks very large. Well, and at times, slow, but that's when it's leaning harder on immersion it seems.

I'm curious to see how it all comes together.

GrayFoxPL

Amazing presentation, Kojima.

LfKE3xB.gif

Elenchus

Banned
They found a convincing Japanese voice actor for Norman Reedus.

It's very much not an action game, it seems. It'll depend a lot on how they entice the player to explore. Breath of the Wild's world was fun just to wander around in and see what you could find. This doesn't look to be on that level, but we'll see.

Perhaps. Mad Max is just such an underrated game this gen. A lot of lessons could be learned from it on a design level but too few played it.

There is a way to have open exploration without constant combat while maintaining an ever present sense of danger.

I thought we’d be hunted by this force as we moved through the world but the possibility of any danger evaporates when you see Norman feeling comfortable enough to go skinny dipping in a hot spring.

If this were the walking dead we’d get cans hung on a string as an alarm to remind us of the danger. Norman is just walking through yellow stone park here without a care in the world it seems.

Lol.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm thinking that you missed the whole context in that exchange.

If sarcasm was intended then I apologise. If not then... What I said stands.

people are critizing the game

:

How can you guys look at these janky animations and say this looks great? The combat seems boring as hell too.

When you start off with "how can you guys", it makes it about other people's opinions rather than your opinions on the game alone.

shoegaze

I was so hyped after the first trailer where we saw five figures in the sky. Thought this is going to be something amazing, Kojima finally released from his shackles, imagination let loose. Thought that after this game I'm going to have to build a shrine for him in my gaming room.

What the fuck is this though? Hope this bombs hard and we'll never see his pretentious face ever again. Really gone too deep up his own ass.

I haven't seen much of this game yet and have been cautiously interested. I really like all the new mechanics and things that I am seeing introduced. This kind of AAA experimentation is fantastic!

I really hope this game is successful if only to encourage more growth and creativity. I feel like gaming has kind of stagnated this gen. Sure there are lots of choices but so much sameness across the board.

Time to figure out how to get the fundage to pre-order this bad boy.

GymWolf

different engine so could be that.
maybe you are on to something, horizon has very good animation for aloy movements and dinobot, but the combat against human and the melee is really mediocre in terms of animation...

well at least the acting in cut scene is far beyond anything we've seen in the guerrila game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Mista Mista

Might be worth adding the following to the OP:

Note : all the demo takes place in the real world with Sam. No Hades, no Beach, No Cliff or other characters except a bit of Die Hard Man. This is only about delivery, travel mechanics, multiplayer and what kind of stuff you can find in the world.

Lore details:

• Civilians live underground, in buried shelters or whole cities. Above is too dangerous, that's why they need a delivery man. Port Knot City for example has more than 50,000 inhabitants.
  • Connecting the chiral network allows Bridges not only to connect with settlements but also to somehow recover data about history and life on Earth before the Death Stranding. Maybe they are looking for Wikipedia pages.
Being Sam:

• Many gauges : Movement Speed; Stamina/Fatigue Resistance; Balance; Carrying Capacity; Rugged Terrain Resistance; Resistance to falling unconscious; Sync Level; Lung Capacity; Battery Capacity
  • If you find a hot spring you can bath to recharge your stamina and other gauges (depending on the hot spring)
  • Walking progressively destroys your boots (on rugged terrain even faster). When they are out you'll start losing stamina and blood.
  • Drinking from the Canteen allows Sam to recover Stamina. The canteen refills automatically when it rains (even Timefall) or when crossing a river by filtering the water. Water has been replaced by Monster Energy drink though, for dubious marketing purposes.
  • Sam can jump on a Floating Carrier and use it like a Hoverboard from Back to the Future. That's rad.
Private Room:

• In every Bridges facility you get access to your private room.
  • You can choose your suit : Blue, Orange, Red and even a Black one. What's specific to each color is still unknown.
  • You can use a fancy 3D printer to fabricate equipment. The printer needs connection to the Chiral Network.
  • You can fabricate Tools (ladders, ropes and even dummies), Gears (boots, exoskeletons), Weapons and Vehicles.
  • Every equipment has a Resources cost : Resin, Metal, Ceramic, Chemical substances, Special Alloys or Chiral Cristals (those golden hand-shaped things that grows in Timefall areas).
  • You can take a shower and use the toilet. This may be a way to refill your EX grenades, but need confirmation on that.
  • You can check your miniatures collection (same green figures used to illustrate Amelie's story in the Briefing trailer).
Cargo:

• Once you have selected your delivery boxes and equipment, you need to load them all on Sam (there is a weight limit).
  • You can stack on the backpack, shoulder pads, leg pads or carry it by hand. Some equipment can also be carried without the box (like boots, ropes) or spread into small pouches (like grenades, repair sprays).
  • To help you balance the cargo a yellow circle on the floor shows how Sam is leaning. An unbalanced load will make Sam prone to fall and require the player to shift the weight more often.
  • Sam has to transport various items, from weapons to medical stuff but also cryogenized sperm and eggs.
  • You can have up to two Floating Carriers to carry more stuff. They just follow you like drones.
  • You can find lost cargo in the world and decide to pick it up and deliver it to the owner. Doing so will get you special rewards.
  • Timefall progressively damage cargo, except those protected by a Chirallium layer.
  • The Likes you get upon delivery depends on the state of cargo, time and other factors.
Controls:

• Keep balance : sometimes Sam will loose his balance when running or going up/down a slope and the player has to quickly shift the weight left or right using L2 or R2 buttons. Failure was not shown in the demo.
  • Crossing a river: the scanner shows the water level. Blue is knee to waist deep and fine to cross; yellow is waist to chest deep and will drain Stamina to fight against the current and keep your balance; red is too deep, Sam will be washed away and will have to recover by paddling left or right (L2/R2) until he reaches low level waters and be able to stand up. Cargo can be washed away and recovered.
  • Touch panel is the Communication button. This allows Sam to call in order to locate and/or activate communal objects dropped or built by other players (see Multiplayer).
  • Take a rest to save the game. While resting you can massage your shoulders or stretch your legs (but it doesn't seem like it does anything). You can also sleep to slowly regenerate blood.
  • While grabbed by BTs you need to push Square to try and shake them off, as well as L2/R2 if they put you off balance. If you fall, they get you.
Scanner:

• When looking at a point it shows not only the distance but also the elevation graph.
  • The scanner shows wet terrain in blue, slippery terrain in yellow and rugged terrain in red. It also shows the depth of the rivers: blue, yellow and red.
Map:

• You can trace a route on the map by placing checkpoints.
  • The map features a basic 3D mode to check elevation.
  • Signs placed by other players appear on the map (see Multiplayer).
Combat:

• MULES try to steal you equipment and gear. They'll even take your shoes. Their camps are full of Resources.
  • MULES area is marked with red poles. They won't chase you beyond that.
  • Non Lethal take out is possible using the Strand item: sneak up to a guy and tie him up unconscious. The Bola Gun does the same from a distance, but is loud.
  • You can hijack vehicles GTA-style. However a Shock spear will shut it down immediately.
  • You can throw cargo boxes at the enemies to stun them, but it will destroy the content.
  • BTs are vulnerable to bodily fluids. You can use blood grenades against them.
  • The Bola Gun can also be used to immobilize BTs. And then pissing on them until they vanish is probably an option, but that was not shown in the demo.
  • When BTs grab you, they drag you to the mini-boss nearby. This area is a potential crater, should Sam end up being eaten and trigger a Void-out.
  • To defeat the mini-boss, just dodge the attacks and shoot as many blood/piss ammo you got at it.
Multiplayer:

• When connecting an area to the Chiral Network you get to see and use items built or dropped by other players.
  • You can “Like” an item and see how many Likes each item received.
  • For big constructions like bridges or repair towers, many players can help building or upgrading by spending Resources on the build.
  • Players can place signs. Danger signs, info signs, all kind of signs.
  • Players can build shared lockers (Postbox) and put items inside other players can take.
  • Players can dismantle communal items for Resources but not take and re-use.
  • Players can find other players lost/dropped cargo, repair it, and deliver it to a Postbox to see what's inside. You can then leave it there or take it.
  • It was not stated if you can tweak the number of communal items you see, limit to Friends only or even turn the whole multiplayer system off to avoid your surroundings being littered with garbage and signs.
  • During combat against BTs, a player can call for help. Other players can answer by giving items or cheer. They'll show up as white characters in the black substance.
  • I could be wrong on that one, but I think white strands in the sky point to communal builds and black strands point to where a player is fighting a mini-boss and may require help.
Cameos:

• I'm pretty sure Edgar Wright is Nick Easton in the game, manager of the Capital Knot City distribution center.
  • Daichi Miura is the Musician (just a civilian, like the Ludens Fan).
  • Patrick Claude is Viktor Frank, manager of the Port Knot City distribution center. Note that Patrick Claude was a Corpse Disposal Team member in the third trailer. No idea if that's the same character later in the story or if there was a cast change.
All from the following reddit link:

scalman

i like it that Kojima just did what he wanted and not for pleasing someone , so now a lots of people have no idea what it is and mistaking from seeing 50 min of gameplay that its what game is because its not , but its ok because you must just go off if its not seems game for you. nobody cares why you dont like it realy. noone will change it for your liking. plenty other casual games out there.

Reactions: GHG

Steez

Well, to be fair to The Postman, it HAD a plot before Costner was allow to dip his pen in an do bunch of heavy nodding and rewrites.

Rockstar celeb ruins film... who knew.

There's a Tomokazu Fukushima joke hidden somewhere in here.

scalman

game looks great and gameplay is great. and yes i wanna just walk long time on mountain .. problem ? i see lots to do there in mountains too . i saw that in demo and i will do it a lot there.. yes slowly walking and sleeping and drowning in rivers but i will have my way there ... :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
So, I just checked what I wrote almost a year ago about this game.

Not too sound like 'No man's sky', but what do you do in this game? It looks like you have to deliver packages and manage the terrain? Almost like orienteering but with other hazards as well? Looks stunning though

I am still in the same position. It looks like you are an Amazon Prime courier in the worst place ever. And most of your job is on foot. The graphics are stunning, like literally on par with RDR2 for me, but much more atmospheric. Don't think this is for me. At all. The core game loop is so unappealing here. I can understand what they're going for but I'd sooner go actually on a real trek or climb a mountain than deal with bullshit like this in game. Your shoes wear out and then you bleed? In a game where you will be primarily walking for ages? That's like having football boots wear out in a football game. Sounds horrendous.

If it had a deep orienteering system then maybe it could have been fun. Risk the steeper shorter route, or take the longer, flatter route. It looks like it has a really basic imitation of that. And the penalties are massive in terms of lost cargo. I think this is a massive miss in single player and I don't think the social/strand aspect is strong enough to carry it.

PapiKong

Banned
He is making his game so he can sell it to people and earn a living.
You said it yourself, he is doing it for himself. I think the game will do just fine. Just because some nerds on here dont like the direction the game is going doesnt indicate whether the game with sell successfully or not.

Stuart360

Can we create a thread for the Kojima haters so they are free to spout their nonsense in one place around like minded individuals?
That works both ways though. If this wasnt a Kojima game, and was say a Ubisoft or EA game, people would be like 'What the fuck is this shit', instead of 'looks amazing', ' GOTY already' type of hyperbole posts.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm so confused as to why people are excited about this based on this footage. It looked unbelievably dull and uninteresting, to the point where I am wondering if Kojima is playing some weird Kauffman-esque prank to show how people will get excited for literally anything with his name on it. I feel like I have to be missing something here because people do seem to be genuinely enthused and I spent a bunch of time looking at a videogame adaption of Kevin Costner's The Postman.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
I take these janky looking, but still perfectly fine, quick responding character controlls over the meticulously crafted slow RDR2 control fiesta.

I'm so confused as to why people are excited about this based on this footage.

Same with me on stuff like Animal Crossing and Pokemon, then I just go oh right it might just not be for me.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
That works both ways though. If this wasnt a Kojima game, and was say a Ubisoft or EA game, people would be like 'What the fuck is this shit', instead of 'looks amazing', ' GOTY already' type of hyperbole posts.

Funnily enough I actually I think the opposite would be true, especially if it were a multiplatform game. The trolling would be less intense, that's for sure.

Anyway, let's see, there's another video due tomorrow and it's not far off release anyway.

Roni

Gold Member
Well, I've only watched three minutes in a language I don't understand, but I'm confident I won't get lost in the menu!

GHG

Gold Member
So, I just checked what I wrote almost a year ago about this game.

I am still in the same position. It looks like you are an Amazon Prime courier in the worst place ever. And most of your job is on foot. The graphics are stunning, like literally on par with RDR2 for me, but much more atmospheric. Don't think this is for me. At all. The core game loop is so unappealing here. I can understand what they're going for but I'd sooner go actually on a real trek or climb a mountain than deal with bullshit like this in game. Your shoes wear out and then you bleed? In a game where you will be primarily walking for ages? That's like having football boots wear out in a football game. Sounds horrendous.

If it had a deep orienteering system then maybe it could have been fun. Risk the steeper shorter route, or take the longer, flatter route. It looks like it has a really basic imitation of that. And the penalties are massive in terms of lost cargo. I think this is a massive miss in single player and I don't think the social/strand aspect is strong enough to carry it.

There's a huge post on this page outlining a number of the things you touch on. It's all in the video, but it means paying attention to the menu systems and/or understanding the Japanese voiceover.

shoegaze

So instead of "This game is not for me, I'll pass", you want it to bomb? lol wtf

Misery loves company I suppose.

I'd be really happy with the biggest bomba gaming has ever saw. We know this is not going to happen because of his cult following, but a man can dream.

All that money and time wasted on something that should've been his indie side project. All this wasted potential for a CG movie with a hiking / postal service simulation wrapped around in a sci-fi robe. Kojima has such a favourable position in the industry. He is able to make games for millions of players while not being a huge faceless money grubbing mega corporation. He's like someone you could trust not to fuck you over. He's like someone you could trust to make a beautiful, meaningful, inspiring game like Nier:Automata.

Instead, he gets in a little air tight room after a good Mexican meal and starts snorting the shit out of his own farts to be able to meet Peter Molyneux in another plane where they both fly high into the centre of the universe naked in a gentle embrace whispering to each others buttholes how amazing and deep they are.

What a joke.

GHG

Gold Member
I'd be really happy with the biggest bomba gaming has ever saw. We know this is not going to happen because of his cult following, but a man can dream.

All that money and time wasted on something that should've been his indie side project. All this wasted potential for a CG movie with a hiking / postal service simulation wrapped around in a sci-fi robe. Kojima has such a favourable position in the industry. He is able to make games for millions of players while not being a huge faceless money grubbing mega corporation. He's like someone you could trust not to fuck you over. He's like someone you could trust to make a beautiful, meaningful, inspiring game like Nier:Automata.

Instead, he gets in a little air tight room after a good Mexican meal and starts snorting the shit out of his own farts to be able to meet Peter Molyneux in another plane where they both fly high into the centre of the universe naked in a gentle embrace whispering to each others buttholes how amazing and deep they are.

What a joke.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom