• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEATH STRANDING PC Launch Trailer

Orta

Banned
nope.

i paid £25 (down from £55) for it and feel it was too much. i'm struggling after about 5 hours. it really is a walking simulator and i hate using that phrase. walk from one city to this building then back again. now walk to this place and back. now you need to walk from the US east coast to west (no joke) but you need to walk back and forth between locations. it feels like 1 step forward and 2, 3 or 4 steps backwards.

i hear you unlock motorbikes so i'm gonna try get that far and see if it makes it bit better. the movement of the character is ridiculous...it's fine when he isn't carrying much but even well before you reach your limit he's falling about all the time. you better watch you don't fall because you'll lose items and need to backtrack. if you fall in a river then good luck.

the story is interesting and bizarre but you need to do a lot of reading logs/emails/interviews and even then it's still WTF. apparently a large part of the game it's focused heavily on just gameplay (building structures etc) and doesn't progress story much until the end where it just dumps a shit load on you. the usual kojima crap.

That sounds absolutely horrendous tbh.

treemk

Banned
That sounds absolutely horrendous tbh.

Well it's not for everyone, but blly155 is VERY early in the game before anything that makes it "not a walking simulator" has been unlocked. You get the first motorcycle early on, but it can take a while if you take your time and do side jobs. This is all in the intro/tutorial-esque area of the game, so not much has happened both with gameplay and story. There are also RPG like elements that upgrade your ability to transport cargo, so this is kinda like complaining about a weak character at the beginning of an RPG without ever progressing further.

Aion002

So is this game worth paying full price for?
I liked a lot I finished on the Ps4 and I will get the plat... eventually. I paid 40 usd however. Also, I intend to buy on pc during a good sale.

The world is really well made and fun to explore... The shooting is meh, the soundtrack is amazing and the story is fun, bad, weird, new, cringy, unique and awesome at the same time... It also has some cool unique gameplay mechanics and concepts. A Kojima game indeed.

If you don't like Kojima stuff, just avoid it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Loved the story loved the gameplay. It was surprising how addicting this game is.

So many people are going to be like “holy shit why didn’t someone tell me about this”.

Game is something else. It’s like living in a 1970s sci fi movie.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Its almost a year later, and I still have no idea what to make of this.

All I can say is, buy if you're feeling experimental, ready to risk the $40 on that experimentation, and feel some kinship to the themes and gameplay you've seen in the trailers and around.

I don't regret the purchase. Its the most unique game in forever, and it was worth the entry fee to experience that alone. I have to be honest though -- despite some real highs, it didn't always connect with me, and sometimes left me wanting.

I don't think Kojima quite nailed base gameplay. Walking and travel is the challenge is a brilliant concept, but sometimes, it felt like I was pressing the analog stick forward with little input or reward as a player. Its weird, because there's some unprecedented systems to make that interaction fun, but I don't think they're used enough.

On the other hand, when engagement does strike, it can sometimes be way too much. Trying to deliver under stressful conditions while jackasses repeatedly smack boxes off you, and you're fighting the controls to do what you want to do...

That said, sometimes it also soars as well. Looking at the utterly beautiful (artistically and technically) environments, trekking through an area that requires a lot of thought and skill to get through, enjoying the awesome worldbuilding and story, cooperating with other players to bring civilization and entire road systems to these long-abandoned places, are some of the most awesome experiences I've had last year.

It's just an utterly polarizing game. Even for one person.

treemk

Banned
Loved the story loved the gameplay. It was surprising how addicting this game is.

So many people are going to be like “holy shit why didn’t someone tell me about this”.

Game is something else. It’s like living in a 1970s sci fi movie.

It was one of my favorite games, one of those games you can get completely lost in to the point you forget your are playing again.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Glad I didn't pre-order. Thought we had a few more weeks to go before my first daughter would be born, but looks like the wife will be induced tomorrow night, so I wouldn't have had the time to play it anyways. Enough can't be said about the graphics though, The Decima engine is truly a stunning piece of tech.

As the gentleman Bryank75 Bryank75 already said, good luck and hope all goes well with the birth of your daughter! Get some gaming time in while they’re small and can sleep on you!

Thaedolus

I’m really curious about giving this a shot but the story scenes I’ve seen are so incredibly stupid I’m thinking I need to wait for a sale in case I hate it. But the gameplay loop seems fun/interesting/absurd and mods could be incredible

Rikkori

The game is too "weird" to really pay full price for, and sadly on PC they don't really push any graphical boundaries. Higher res + higher framerates are nice but hardly a big deal considering you had good res on the Pro & as for FPS it's not a very action-oriented game.

Meh. I say wait until it's a tenner and buy it then.

Armorian

Banned
TRvqsSx.png

Holy shit at Ryzen performance

yMC85Sq.png

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last edited:

iorek21

Enjoy the game, everyone! It's a very good experience!

Death Stranding is so unique that gave me an opportunity to briefly analyze it in my master's dissertation

waylo

Banned
Really tempted to pick this up just because of how well it apparently runs. Got a 3800X/2060 combo and I'm itching to see how it does and how the game looks.

DeaDPo0L84

Having never played it but always been curious I picked it up on PC. Only 4 hours in but I'm really enjoying it,went in having a good idea of what I was getting into. I play a lot of destiny 2 so this is a nice change of pace. Also to echo others it looks/plays absolutely beautifully.

Something about wandering the open area and a song will start playing with rain trickling in is quite the experience.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Having never played it but always been curious I picked it up on PC. Only 4 hours in but I'm really enjoying it,went in having a good idea of what I was getting into. I play a lot of destiny 2 so this is a nice change of pace. Also to echo others it looks/plays absolutely beautifully.

Something about wandering the open area and a song will start playing with rain trickling in is quite the experience.
Yeah it's an experience. Once You get to 2nd area, don't hang on completing all side quest. Just leisurely play

Armorian

Banned

No in game music player fucks me up, I have to use spotify.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I finished the game on PSPro, it took me about 45 hours. I liked it at first but when the game actually starts with the package delivery and walking around I wasn't having fun anymore.

The game always works against you to make everything more frustrating than it should be. I always felt like I was wasting my time.

The story is nonsense shit, I feel bad for the actors who had to put up with this.

The only way I would play this game is with infinite cargo cheats, fast travel anywhere, unlock all vehicles, hubs and roads etc. Basically a huge sandbox because the world looks good but everything else is a chore.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Main stuff is labeled as "SAM" missions. All other stuff is optional but can give some cool items and so on.
You can return to any sidequest giver at any point I think

Thanks, that clarifies a couple things before getting too far ahead.

Hinedorf

Banned
I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it and finding myself so deeply engrossed in just traversing the beautiful scenery. Running this game on maximum is just absolute eye candy. From the vibrating controls which really improve the tense moments to the music this game is far and away last years GOTY that I never realized. The Decima engine is just tits!

Kadayi

Banned
I intend to pick it up at some point, if nothing more than to check out the tech but I'm probably going to wait until around Christmas.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
How do I get this to run in 4K? I'm on a 1440p display, and there is nothing in the options to put my resolution past 2560x1440, even with DLSS on. I went into my control panel and enabled DSR factors, but that still didn't allow me to go past native resolution.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How do I get this to run in 4K? I'm on a 1440p display, and there is nothing in the options to put my resolution past 2560x1440, even with DLSS on. I went into my control panel and enabled DSR factors, but that still didn't allow me to go past native resolution.
Your monitor must support 4k downscaling to be able to fake being able to do 4k.
Otherwise You have to use nvidia downscaling in drivers

waylo

Banned
Your monitor must support 4k downscaling to be able to fake being able to do 4k.
Otherwise You have to use nvidia downscaling in drivers
I've got a Dell G-Sync display. And I've gone into the drivers and enabled DSR Factors, but that does nothing.

I've never had a problem in other games. Control just lets me select 4K, or if games don't allow it, DSR Factors usually works.

For those wondering about the game and the PC release, having gotten it I've been having a lot of fun with it. People say the game is a walking simulator, but I'm not so sure I agree. The game is more of a stealth horror game imo; a lot of the fun comes from trying to maneuver your way around BT territory to get to an objective, which'll happen often when traveling since they tend to be in the way of any important landmarks. Trying to climb your way through a mountain pass full of packages while surrounded by BTs can be incredibly tense and scary. Your BB (the baby) will tell you what direction they're in, but since there's usual several and they move around, every few steps it might point somewhere else. The challenge of getting through the bad weather, the BTs, sneaking around and keeping quiet and keeping BB happy...It makes it all really rewarding to make it through the other side of a storm to your objective.

The port isn't bad either; its definitely demanding but it seemed to be impressively well optimized for a game as high fidelity as it is. My 970 runs it at 60fps with drops.

Last edited:

Keihart

For those wondering about the game and the PC release, having gotten it I've been having a lot of fun with it. People say the game is a walking simulator, but I'm not so sure I agree. The game is more of a stealth horror game imo; a lot of the fun comes from trying to maneuver your way around BT territory to get to an objective, which'll happen often when traveling since they tend to be in the way of any important landmarks. Trying to climb your way through a mountain pass full of packages while surrounded by BTs can be incredibly tense and scary. Your BB (the baby) will tell you what direction they're in, but since there's usual several and they move around, every few steps it might point somewhere else. The challenge of getting through the bad weather, the BTs, sneaking around and keeping quiet and keeping BB happy...It makes it all really rewarding to make it through the other side of a storm to your objective.

The port isn't bad either; its definitely demanding but it seemed to be impressively well optimized for a game as high fidelity as it is. My 970 runs it at 60fps with drops.
I started to have zero respect for BTs pretty quickly when i grasped how much of an advantage you have, you are way faster than them even on foot and even if you they catch you in the black pool, there are several ways to get yourself out of there.
It is the ultimate walking simulator. It's not what people usually call "walk simulators" but instead a real walking simulator, more precisely a Delivery and hiking simulator.
I love how Kojipro it's not afraid to accommodate mechanics to the concept of the game, the game really shines when you start getting more ballsy about what you can or not do. You start taking risks to min max as much as possible those scores.

Some videos i saved of my favorite chenanigans while playing:
Some highlights i saved:

fulfilling those SSX urges

dwish

So is this game worth paying full price for?

I loved it. People say its about walking, and yes a lot of it is, but the walking is way more involving than most other games. Its like saying Celeste or Super Mario are games about jumping. It really is one of a kind.

The story was a bit too crazy for me though.

Play it with headphones on loud.

Last edited:

Irobot82

I just picked this up on Steam for 50%. Graphically it looks astounding. Runs great on my 1080 at 1440p. I do wish DSR worked for it or there were more TAA options because i get a lot of flickering/aliasing on fine lines/hair.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this for £17 - time to see if it’s actually any good.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Played an hour or so before having to make a mad dash across the border and yeah this game has got something. Visually it’s amazing but we all knew that. The early hints at the story have already got my attention.

Keihart

For anyone not sure on the gameplay part of it when outside of menus, i think you should give it a shot if this looks fun to you, i had a lot of fun after learning the mechanics, you start to get bolder as routine sets in and at the same time you might start to get better at knowing how to push your luck.

A little bit of everything.

Mountain stuff.

Edit: i had already posted in this same thread...it's so old that i had completely forgot about it.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Well i just bought a Day 1 PC edition at a discounted price, so ill be soon joining in the the adventures.

Always loved the cast and the concept, but initial reviews threw me off.
After some time, my appetite has come back and looking forward to it once again.

Top Bottom