• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Digity

Any news on the DLC or was it just a rumor?
This is one hell of an amazing game an my gotg probably. Finished it twice on release date on ps4 slim.
Now gearing for pc 4k60 replay, so better performance, graphics and I've heard You can even skip the odradek animations now!

I am wondering how it would be to play the game off-line? Is it even possible to turn online off on steam?
Also - I kinda wanted to to "all lethal" run. How does that work ?
I’m playing through the game a second time right now on PC in offline mode.

If you wanna do all lethal and not deal with game over screens you’re gonna be transporting a lot of bodies to be burned.

rofif

Banned
I’m playing through the game a second time right now on PC in offline mode.

If you wanna do all lethal and not deal with game over screens you’re gonna be transporting a lot of bodies to be burned.
so the bodies don't leave craters? these end the game? How will I know a body is about to end the game? is it marked on a map?

Umbral

so the bodies don't leave craters? these end the game? How will I know a body is about to end the game? is it marked on a map?
You have a timer that starts when you kill someone, much like the first body transported with Igor. You have to burn the bodies before they cause a voidout.

It’s been a while, but there’s some sort of indicator. You have to transport and incinerate each dead body. You’re gonna need a truck sometimes and multiple trips.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yes it is marked on map with a body icon... you need to burn it or then in 30 minutes I think it will give game over.

But I believe the easy difficult it doesn’t...

You have a timer that starts when you kill someone, much like the first body transported with Igor. You have to burn the bodies before they cause a voidout.
I think that depends of the difficult.
On easy it is optional.

Last edited:

Umbral

Yes it is marked on map with a body icon... you need to burn it or then in 30 minutes I think it will give game over.

On easy it is optional.
Oh, I wouldn’t know, I only played on…HARD.

4195252936332f11e3.gif

rofif

Banned

On easy it is optional.
does it depend on difficulty really? I remember playing on normal.
I searched for differences and it seems difficulty only affects combat?

ethomaz

Banned
does it depend on difficulty really? I remember playing on normal.
I searched for differences and it seems difficulty only affects combat?
I can be mistaking it.

Anyway I never had that game over screen and never burned any corpse except the one story related.
When it showed the icons I go there the first time and I saw the corpse... I ignored... after that I ignored all icons and the radio about it.

I played on normal.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I can be mistaking it.

Anyway I never had that game over screen and never burned any corpse except the one story related.
When it showed the icons I go there the first time and I saw the corpse... I ignored... after that I ignored all icons and the radio about it.

I played on normal.
I am seeing reports that sometimes it turns into game over (voidout) and sometimes it just turns into BT.
I understand that if that bt touches someone, then it's a voidout but not sure if it's random or based on proximity of body to route or other players ?

ethomaz

Banned
I am seeing reports that sometimes it turns into game over (voidout) and sometimes it just turns into BT.
I understand that if that bt touches someone, then it's a voidout but not sure if it's random or based on proximity of body to route or other players ?
From the game lore the corpse needs to be in a BT zone (and the rain happening) to the voidout happens... and yes the BT needs to touch the corpse (dead or alive).
That is probably why maybe I never faced it.

PS. Voidout was one of the things I left to do in the late game to see how it is but I ended forgetting it lol

Last edited:

Shmunter

It’s been a while, but there’s some sort of indicator. You have to transport and incinerate each dead body. You’re gonna need a truck sometimes and multiple trips.
Can they be thrown into the tar pits?

Dries

I’ll be recieving my 3080 tomorrow and I think Death Stranding will be the first title I’ll try DLSS on. Can’t wait. Is it still true that DLSS looks better than native? So even if I have the choice, I should always have DLSS on?

my setup is a 32 inch 4K screen btw.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’ll be recieving my 3080 tomorrow and I think Death Stranding will be the first title I’ll try DLSS on. Can’t wait. Is it still true that DLSS looks better than native? So even if I have the choice, I should always have DLSS on?

That is what Digital Foundry said, but I dunno, try both.

I can say I think that DS is a pretty good candidate for an AI algorithm, just lots of clean lines, sparse landscapes, I dunno.

Dries

That is what Digital Foundry said, but I dunno, try both.

I can say I think that DS is a pretty good candidate for an AI algorithm, just lots of clean lines, sparse landscapes, I dunno.

yeah, true. I did hear DLSS kinda blurs the rain effect too much though. But maybe that’s fixed by now.

What's your target frame-rate?

Yes? But Dries Dries is playing at locked 45FPS so there's no difference. It's a matter of what SS solution looks better to his eyes.
Oh he's playing at 8K? My bad.

edit: ok I read hes got 4K screen, why limit to 45 fps though on such monster gpu? Even if its only 60Hz gsync the minimum you'd want is limit your fps is 56-57 fps so gsync is always on and just force vsync off in nvidia control panel for smoothest most responsive experience with no screen tear.

Last edited:

Dries

Oh he's playing at 8K? My bad.

edit: ok I read hes got 4K screen, why limit to 45 fps though on such monster gpu? Even if its only 60Hz gsync the minimum you'd want is limit your fps is 56-57 fps so gsync is always on and just force vsync off in nvidia control panel for smoothest most responsive experience with no screen tear.

I get this a lot. “Why play at 45 fps? Don’t you want 144 frames!” But for me, it’s just personal preference. Anything near 60 feels too soap-opera for me and 30 is too choppy. Therefore, 45 is my exact sweet spot. And G-sync already does its magic starting from 31 fps- so it gives me full freedom how I want to personalize my PC gaming experience, which is in fact the whole idea of PC gaming.

oh btw, I don’t play competitive games. Just singleplayer stuff. And I’m (obviously) a massive settings over framerate guy.

Last edited:
Hideo Kojima just minted himself a new fan.

Death Stranding is one of the most profound gaming experiences I've ever had. It delivers an immersive story in a rich, atmospheric world in tandem with finely tuned and rewarding gameplay. Coupled with an outstanding soundtrack that swells at key moments and haunts and lingers long after each session, the whole thing is just elevated to another plane.

The cast really shows what's possible when games invest in acting talent. Mads Mikkelsen in particular was a real highlight, but I also really enjoyed Troy Baker's performance (which could've easily been cheesy) and was impressed by Tommie Earl Jenkins' watershed moment.

Is it perfect? No, it does have a few flaws. I agree with others here that there's too much robotic explanation at times and I generally don't appreciate info dumps in any medium; they're lazy. Also, there's a faint wokeness that I find self-defeating, though it wasn't too bad and Kojima seemed to subvert my assumptions somewhat by the end anyway. Hopefully this was a reflection of the environment he had to work in and the pressures of AAA more than anything else.

Overall, however, Death Stranding will be a classic. A landmark game everyone should check out and one that shows what the medium is capable of in the hands of a bona fide creative genius.

Shmunter

Death Stranding is one of the most profound gaming experiences I've ever had. It delivers an immersive story in a rich, atmospheric world in tandem with finely tuned and rewarding gameplay. Coupled with an outstanding soundtrack that swells at key moments and haunts and lingers long after each session, the whole thing is just elevated to another plane.

The cast really shows what's possible when games invest in acting talent. Mads Mikkelsen in particular was a real highlight, but I also really enjoyed Troy Baker's performance (which could've easily been cheesy) and was impressed by Tommie Earl Jenkins' watershed moment.

Is it perfect? No, it does have a few flaws. I agree with others here that there's too much robotic explanation at times and I generally don't appreciate info dumps in any medium; they're lazy. Also, there's a faint wokeness that I find self-defeating, though it wasn't too bad and Kojima seemed to subvert my assumptions somewhat by the end anyway. Hopefully this was a reflection of the environment he had to work in and the pressures of AAA more than anything else.

Overall, however, Death Stranding will be a classic. A landmark game everyone should check out and one that shows what the medium is capable of in the hands of a bona fide creative genius.
Good to hear. One of the most impressionable gaming experiences ever crafted.

kyussman

Yea,was my first Kojima game,I'd never had an interest in MGS at all....but this game caught my attention from the very first trailer.
I got it on release day(PS4) and played ever day for a month solid until completion...164hrs.
I got totally addicted to the games systems....can't wait to see what his next game is now!

Decima(?) Is a crazy engine, and at 60fps, it will look incredible. Not only that, since it has nice, full animations, the movement of everything will benefit so much as well. Might be another case like God of War where a performance patch makes it literally look next gen.

kingwingin

Just beat the game and need some things answered.

whats the timeline like? Did death stranding happen before or after sam was born?

why did amelie seem to flip flop so much? She's trying to destroy the world, working with higgs but yet he kidnaps her towards the end? She also tells sam to promise to stop her in flash backs/dream sequences.

Whats with the last names, death stranding and the presidents last name is strand. Sam goes by bridges which is a company name and also happens to be his actual mothers last name? Just coincidences?

Top Bottom