• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

#Phonepunk#

Banned
been thinking about this game, isolation, and the Corona virus.

in the game, Sam has a condition called aphenphosmphobia, a fear of intimacy, phobia of contact.

now in real life i've been seeing people recommend no contact, don't leave the house, don't even shake hands.

meeting are cancelled. entire industries shut down. people are told to stay home. don't leave unless you have to.

once again Kojima is ahead of his time!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
more DS in the real world: there will be delivery people dropping off stuff to these subterranean hideouts.
5597.jpg

Last edited:

nowhat

So this is only a tangentially related fluff piece (a fun enough series though, depending on the interviewee), but here goes anyway:

But as far as slim pickings go, there's some indication of future endavours with Kojima. Whether that means DS DLC or something else remains to be seen.

(on an unrelated note, man does this forum software's search function suck, you'll be better off typing what you're after + "neogaf" into Google to find the relevant thread)

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Bit late to the party on this one but I've been playing it over the last two days and its really good so far. The only criticism I have at moment is the amount of information and detail thrown at you early on can be overwhelming, to the point I stop registering some of it, which isn't good considering how most of that information is necessary to fully enjoy all gameplay mechanics.

I have some questions for my experienced hikers, do I need to carry metals and resin in order to build bridges, towers, postboxes etc? Or do I just recycle them and the game will know I have the required materials to build stuff? Also what is the optimum load out that I should be carrying for a order? Like how do I know how many ladders I should take with me?

Mista

Banned
Bit late to the party on this one but I've been playing it over the last two days and its really good so far. The only criticism I have at moment is the amount of information and detail thrown at you early on can be overwhelming, to the point I stop registering some of it, which isn't good considering how most of that information is necessary to fully enjoy all gameplay mechanics.

I have some questions for my experienced hikers, do I need to carry metals and resin in order to build bridges, towers, postboxes etc? Or do I just recycle them and the game will know I have the required materials to build stuff? Also what is the optimum load out that I should be carrying for a order? Like how do I know how many ladders I should take with me?
Glad you're enjoying it! As for your questions, yes you do need to have them on you. Only carry them when you're planning to build to save lots of weight during your long trips

You'll have trucks later on which will make storing everything better. If you got any more questions, hit me up any time.

near

Gold Member
Glad you're enjoying it! As for your questions, yes you do need to have them on you. Only carry them when you're planning to build to save lots of weight during your long trips

You'll have trucks later on which will make storing everything better. If you got any more questions, hit me up any time.

Damn, I recycled all the metals and resin I had collected! So I should only recycle materials if I want to fabricate stuff and carry materials only when I want to use a PCC?

Hans Bubby

Banned

I just started playing this game a few weeks ago. At this point, I only ever carried a bola gun, blood bags, and hematic grenades during the first half of the game. I rarely ever brought a ladder since there was usually enough out there laid down already, same with ropes and bridges.

When you get the option to use zip lines then I always had 3-4 PCCs with me so I could lay them down while making deliveries. I never liked to carry too much shit on my back except for delivery packages only. I always kept the PCCs on my suit, and any gun on the tool rack.

Place personal locker somewhere convenient like in the crossroads and dish all unnecessary stuf in there whenever you pass by it. Then you can simply pick up the exact ammount you need to upgrade a part of the road or something else, that way you can load on number of deliveries at once on that truck [i think it's like 2 Tons of deliveries at once]. I upgraded all roads really fast. Then next step will be those high posts where you can zip around in a straight line - fastest way to travel in game.

Oh and don't forget to do premium deliveries once you found a good road early on - so you rank up your relatonships with npc's to 5 stars supper fast. [some deliveries can net you ~4000 likes, so will only take 2 or 3 deliveries and bam you've got 5 stars and get free stuff from that npc whenever you drop something else to them]

near

Gold Member
I just started playing this game a few weeks ago. At this point, I only ever carried a bola gun, blood bags, and hematic grenades during the first half of the game. I rarely ever brought a ladder since there was usually enough out there laid down already, same with ropes and bridges.

When you get the option to use zip lines then I always had 3-4 PCCs with me so I could lay them down while making deliveries. I never liked to carry too much shit on my back except for delivery packages only. I always kept the PCCs on my suit, and any gun on the tool rack.

Wow you travel really light. I'm only around 3-4 hours into the game, just finished a delivery in episode 2 were I retrieve an order from a Mule postbox, and so far I've not seen too many ladders and ropes set up. But I'd still prefer to carry one or two myself at least for convenience.

Place personal locker somewhere convenient like in the crossroads and dish all unnecessary stuf in there whenever you pass by it. Then you can simply pick up the exact ammount you need to upgrade a part of the road or something else, that way you can load on number of deliveries at once on that truck [i think it's like 2 Tons of deliveries at once]. I upgraded all roads really fast. Then next step will be those high posts where you can zip around in a straight line - fastest way to travel in game.

Oh and don't forget to do premium deliveries once you found a good road early on - so you rank up your relatonships with npc's to 5 stars supper fast. [some deliveries can net you ~4000 likes, so will only take 2 or 3 deliveries and bam you've got 5 stars and get free stuff from that npc whenever you drop something else to them]

I've not used the personal locker yet, but it makes sense how useful it could be later on in the game. Roads, ziplines, these all sound like they're much further along in the game, how many hours will I have to invest to be able to start placing these down?

Also can someone explain the relevance of picking up lost cargo and then the "Entrust" "Don't Entrust" system of delivering them. I don't get it. I suppose delivering them improves relationships, but when I find them I just deliver them to the nearest place and just file them under "Don't Entrust", so will that I'll be rewarded for them. But when I do put them under 'Don't Entrust' when it comes to actually delivering them to the right place there is nowhere to retrieve them from. Its a bit confusing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Wow you travel really light. I'm only around 3-4 hours into the game, just finished a delivery in episode 2 were I retrieve an order from a Mule postbox, and so far I've not seen too many ladders and ropes set up. But I'd still prefer to carry one or two myself at least for convenience.
earlier in the game it is more dependent on you bringing everything. as you sign up more outposts, the network will expand, and you will see more things in the world. at first the world is barren and you don't see much but as you complete orders, it reveals more and more. it's quite nice because after you've made the same route once or twice you no longer need to place stuff to help you get around. instead you will see what other people have used.
I've not used the personal locker yet, but it makes sense how useful it could be later on in the game. Roads, ziplines, these all sound like they're much further along in the game, how many hours will I have to invest to be able to start placing these down?
personal locker is nice, you can store cargo and stuff, drop things off that are on the way, etc. you will need to carry Metals/Resins/etc. in order to put them into building or upgrading structures so a private locker is a great place to store these. after a successful delivery, if the location has resources, and you don't need space for more packages, you might as well grab some. once you get to chapter 3 you will have most of the stuff in the game unlocked or at least accessible. ziplines unlock a few chapters later and are endgame gear.
Also can someone explain the relevance of picking up lost cargo and then the "Entrust" "Don't Entrust" system of delivering them. I don't get it. I suppose delivering them improves relationships, but when I find them I just deliver them to the nearest place and just file them under "Don't Entrust", so will that I'll be rewarded for them. But when I do put them under 'Don't Entrust' when it comes to actually delivering them to the right place there is nowhere to retrieve them from. Its a bit confusing.
you can deliver these to anywhere, but delivering them to the right destination gives you more likes. Lost Cargo mostly helps you up your "Bridge Link" score which is on the star whenever you get rated for deliveries.

when you Entrust, you are basically dropping off the packages, so that some other porter can deliver them. you are "entrust"ing it to them. automatically when you use Lost Cargo it will entrust everything. you need to select "Don't Entrust" in order to not drop them off. iirc you just keep those packages.

Last edited:

Hans Bubby

Banned

Yeah, I guess I should say you might prepare better since you're early in the game. You won't start to see other people's stuff until you open up the chiral network across the map. Even still, I still rarely needed a ladder or rope. I don't like to carry much except for the essentials as stuff will get damaged easily during any timefall. Until you get further in the story, I would suggest to carry a ladder or two. Don't forget to always have blood bags and hematic grenades ready whenever you run into some BTs.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
roads are cool, here are some tips.
if you start seeing roads, then build those ASAP. first off roads let you drive cars and motorcycles (imo the fastest vehicle is the Long Range #2 Motorcycle) which increases your speed and also carrying capacity. second, the roads are a kind of power grid, they will power any battery-using item you want to use. the center of the road is an area which acts as a battery so basically you can power run or whatever without using any battery juice so long as you run on the center line of the road. cars and motorcycles operate this way as well, only using power when off the grid. third ofc the roads go over many obstacles, making delivery a pleasant and painless experience.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
personal locker is nice, you can store cargo and stuff, drop things off that are on the way, etc. you will need to carry Metals/Resins/etc. in order to put them into building or upgrading structures so a private locker is a great place to store these. after a successful delivery, if the location has resources, and you don't need space for more packages, you might as well grab some. once you get to chapter 3 you will have most of the stuff in the game unlocked or at least accessible. ziplines unlock a few chapters later and are endgame gear.

I filled a personal locker in the Distribution Center West of Capital Knot City with things I didn't need to carry, by the time I got to the Waystation West of Capital Knot City my personal locker was empty. So I presume every outpost has it's own personal locker that I can only access there? If this is the case I'm a bit disappointed. Accessing resources that I know I have in storage only at specific locations is a bit tiresome considering the amount of travelling I'm already doing.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Accessing resources that I know I have in storage only at specific locations is a bit tiresome considering the amount of travelling I'm already doing.
it comes in very handy when you start moving things around. think of these as distribution centers. you can stash delivering that are out of the way, or if you need to make room, and come back for them later. you can drop off Lost Cargo that you picked up along the way. or Metals, Ceramics, etc. other resources that you come across, you can save them for a time when you want to build or upgrade structures. granted i did not use these until maybe a dozen or two hours in, but they are very helpful in the endgame. they are another tool for you to use. there are many different ways to go about doing things, it's up to you to find the best or most fun way to do them in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

near

Gold Member
it comes in very handy when you start moving things around. think of these as distribution centers. you can stash delivering that are out of the way, or if you need to make room, and come back for them later. you can drop off Lost Cargo that you picked up along the way. or Metals, Ceramics, etc. other resources that you come across, you can save them for a time when you want to build or upgrade structures. granted i did not use these until maybe a dozen or two hours in, but they are very helpful in the endgame. they are another tool for you to use. there are many different ways to go about doing things, it's up to you to find the best or most fun way to do them in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

To be fair I didn't think of that, that's a good way to utilize them. Storing deliveries between orders makes things easier to manage logistically in the long run when I'm actually handling a lot of orders at once. Thanks.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I bought this game on Day 1, played for about 1 hour and then I put it aside even if I was very intrigued by it.

I have more time now so I start playing again this weekend and I was shocked at how dogshit the actual gameplay was. I literally had to stop playing multiple times in disbelief with my mouth open. Is that really what it's about? Walking around slowly for miles with cargo? Struggling to keep your balance? Bad terrain, weather, invisible enemies, anything to make you drop your shit and stop your progress? Rocking a BB? Inventory management, stats, likes and all kind of other pointless shit.

I'm now in the middle of Chapter 3, I have finally access to vehicles, roads, power skeleton etc. and I'm starting to see what was their vision. I'm having fun now. The gameplay of Chapter 3 should be how you start the game. I don't blame people that drop it after playing Chapter 1 and 2. It's absolute garbage, I've never been this frustrated with a game before. What were they thinking? Everything you do up to that point is pointless busywork.

I filled a personal locker in the Distribution Center West of Capital Knot City with things I didn't need to carry, by the time I got to the Waystation West of Capital Knot City my personal locker was empty. So I presume every outpost has it's own personal locker that I can only access there? If this is the case I'm a bit disappointed. Accessing resources that I know I have in storage only at specific locations is a bit tiresome considering the amount of travelling I'm already doing.

I was devastated when I noticed they were independent and totally useless. Just another awful decision to stop your progress. I never went back to get my stuff in the private lockers, I lost all that shit. Fuck that.

You should have access to fast travel and a shared private locker between hubs right at the beginning. It might not be as useful later but you have to keep players engaged day 1.

Hopefully PC players will be able to hack it and they won't have to suffer with this nonsense.

Bryank75

Banned
So happy to see more people come back and give the game a chance and realize it is actually incredible... (IMO)
I am playing FFXV right now but I'm going back to platinum this after I finish, loved just hiking and overcoming the obstacles.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So I’m going around with the map below

Just collecting all the memory chips one or two or three at a time. It’s so much fun. Still, this game is a blast to play, hundreds of hours in. This game is for real incredible. I’m still amazed by it.

Earlier I climbed on top of the roof of an incinerator building. I’m telling you it’s a fun scavenger hunt.

Terenty

I was devastated when I noticed they were independent and totally useless. Just another awful decision to stop your progress. I never went back to get my stuff in the private lockers, I lost all that shit. Fuck that.
So you could take order , put everything in your locker then come to your destination without any burden and troubles, access your private locker, take magically teleported things from your locker and complete mission that way? Sounds like bad game design

Last edited:

ROMhack

Love the game but I must say I'm getting burned out building roads. I built them all the way to South Knot City and it took quite a while of sheer drudgery getting ceramics (always ceramics!).

Now I'm working my way to Mountain Knot City and I'm like fuck this, not again. I question the design of roads because the idea is very good but in practice auto-pavers are wayyy too close.

It's basically, you take on loads of side-missions and get them built or you don't (I'll likely stop at 36 when I get the trophy).

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Eh... the roads are pretty useful. Your gonna want all the roads you can get. Auto pavers are where they need to be. I say push through.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Yeah they're incredibly useful. I just feel like I've been grinding for a bit too long, keen to get on with the story :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Are you building them from scratch? If I recall correctly, a large chunk of their resources will be filled up by other players once you connect the region they're in to the Chiral Network.

So just progressing the story a bit or doing deliveries to convince people to join the network might reduce the grind and vary your gameplay some more 😊

It's definitely not worth it burning yourself out to build the roads, even though they are super handy

ROMhack

Are you building them from scratch? If I recall correctly, a large chunk of their resources will be filled up by other players once you connect the region they're in to the Chiral Network.

So just progressing the story a bit or doing deliveries to convince people to join the network might reduce the grind and vary your gameplay some more 😊

It's definitely not worth it burning yourself out to build the roads, even though they are super handy

Yeah they are but I'm not sure how it works exactly. I'm often still 800+ metals and ceramics away from rebuilding each auto paver, in addition to 500 or so Chiral Crystals. I don't get that much from doing side missions so at this point it's definitely a pain in the booty.

For the record, I'm about 40 hours in and maybe halfway through the story missions so the fact it's taken me this long to build only the roads down to South Knot City and the single one outside the Craftsman's vault is, I think, a testament to how long this shit takes.

I genuinely think it would take another 20 hours to get them all the way up to Mountain Knot City

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
800+ metals will automatically spawn at locations, once you have done enough missions. delivering lift the star rating and also raise the chiral bandwith. the higher bandwidth, the more materials will automatically be stored. at any rate you should get in the habit of taking some materials whenever you do a delivery (especially chiral crystals, which weigh nothing, so take all them if you don't need to fabricate). if the locations don't have many materials in them, then yeah, you should probably do some more deliveries to those places.

not sure why it would take another 20 hours to build roads. feel like it only took me a few hours in a row when i sat down and focused on them. just load up a truck full of materials and drive down, hit the auto paver, then drive back and get more materials, rinse repeat. you can drive across the entire map in like 5-10 minutes, so if you need to collect materials from other locations that's the fastest way to get them.

Last edited:

ROMhack

800+ metals will automatically spawn at locations, once you have done enough missions. delivering lift the star rating and also raise the chiral bandwith. the higher bandwidth, the more materials will automatically be stored. at any rate you should get in the habit of taking some materials whenever you do a delivery (especially chiral crystals, which weigh nothing, so take all them if you don't need to fabricate). if the locations don't have many materials in them, then yeah, you should probably do some more deliveries to those places.

not sure why it would take another 20 hours to build roads. feel like it only took me a few hours in a row when i sat down and focused on them. just load up a truck full of materials and drive down, hit the auto paver, then drive back and get more materials, rinse repeat. you can drive across the entire map in like 5-10 minutes, so if you need to collect materials from other locations that's the fastest way to get them.

I'll take that on board, cheers. It's usually ceramics I'm missing rather than metals.

Woggleman

I respect what Kojima did but honestly this game was not enjoyable to play at all for me. I dreaded the trips back and forth to deliver the packages even after I had vehicles and ziplines.

Javthusiast

Banned
This definitely made my day♥

Oh Fuck, my birthday was at the end of April and I didn't even think about starting Death Stranding, cause I completely forgot we had to type our birthdays at the start of the game and I knew at the time something like this would be happening ingame.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
So you could take order , put everything in your locker then come to your destination without any burden and troubles, access your private locker, take magically teleported things from your locker and complete mission that way? Sounds like bad game design

Then make it limited for tools and equipment or between places you already visited or between your existing postboxes only etc. There are many ways. Same for fast travel. Hundreds of other games manage to do it.

This constant back and forth for small stuff and materials is just artificial busywork. That's the bad game design imo.

I respect what Kojima did but honestly this game was not enjoyable to play at all for me. I dreaded the trips back and forth to deliver the packages even after I had vehicles and ziplines.

Same. I thought the ziplines and trucks were going to help but of course the next missions are all in the mountains full of rocks and shit so I'm back on foot with all my shitty cargo on my back. Too many roadblocks to make it enjoyable.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Oh Fuck, my birthday was at the end of April and I didn't even think about starting Death Stranding, cause I completely forgot we had to type our birthdays at the start of the game and I knew at the time something like this would be happening ingame.
my birthday was this week. i was out all day but thankfully got home in time to play for a bit. love the kind message from Mads!

Terenty

Then make it limited for tools and equipment or between places you already visited or between your existing postboxes only etc. There are many ways. Same for fast travel. Hundreds of other games manage to do it.

This constant back and forth for small stuff and materials is just artificial busywork. That's the bad game design imo.
You can manufacture tools for cheap in any distribution center, what's the problem?
Same. I thought the ziplines and trucks were going to help but of course the next missions are all in the mountains full of rocks and shit so I'm back on foot with all my shitty cargo on my back. Too many roadblocks to make it enjoyable.
Did you use floating carriers? I always had 2 with me specifically for places with rocky surfaces. You can load tons of cargo and materials and using a speed skeleton traverse very fast. I dunno, imho there were enough tools to make deliveries efficient. And the way they were gradually doled out kept the game interesting throughout.

ROMhack

I also agree that there are enough resources to make deliveries efficient. Often it only requires one trip to figure out the best way there too. Like yesterday, I went across loads of rocky terrain and snowy mountains on my way to Mountain Knot City. When I got there, I figured the best way is largely up river past the mule camp - a real journey of discovery. No need at all to struggle up the snow.

Again though, this is why roads are such a big deal in this game. Following them makes everything easier.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
If you need resources the MULE camps are good places to jack them. Just craft a bola gun or non lethal assault rifle and go to town.

I spend hours driving around with a truck and stealing their shit. Even tried to drive two trucks at once that one time, cause I wanted to take so many materials with me. Would drive with one for a while get out to run back and drive the other untill I got to where I wanted to go, lmao. Got attacked in the middle with their stun spears, shit was wild.

Ozrimandias

Been replaying this game ( i put it aside just to finish FFVI) and yeah, in this times its kind of relaxing a game like this. Its in fact a dalivery simulator. In this game, like maybe no other the terrain and geography is another protagonist.
But man that story and that stupid symbolism..... hate that, and i was a HUGE Kojima FAN.

Top Bottom