• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding on PC will use DENUOVO ANTI TAMPER DRM

If you were to buy Death Stranding on PC, would it having Denuovo impact your decision?

• yes

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • no

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • something else, I'll elaborate

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
https://www.pcgamer.com/death-stranding-will-use-denuvo-drm-on-pc/

Death Stranding finally got a release date this week, with Kojima Productions announcing that we'll be climbing and peeing all over post-apocalyptic America on June 2. Good news, then. Not as welcome was an addition to the Steam page that notifies prospective couriers that the PC version uses Denuvo DRM.

The controversial anti-tamper software typically draws plenty of ire whenever it crops up, and not just from the pirates it's designed to foil. Indeed, it's historically not done a great job of stopping piracy. Resident Evil 7 was cracked in less than a week, leading to Denuvo acknowledging that "there is no uncrackable product."

Denuvo has been criticised for allegedly causing all sorts of problems, especially in regards to performance. When Devil May Cry 5 was compared to a build without Denuvo, there was a 25 percent jump in performance on average, with players able to squeeze another 20 fps out of the game. Capcom eventually removed the DRM.

In other cases, it's had little or no impact at all. Durante put Final Fantasy 15 through its paces, for instance, and found that it didn't negatively affect the in-game performance, though it possibly increased load times by a small amount.

Publishers and developers relenting and removing Denuvo isn't uncommon. Along with Devil May Cry 5, it happened with Mass Effect: Andromeda, Rime, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, Rage 2 and plenty of others.

Predictably, the Steam forums are already full of posts on the subject, none of them positive. Thankfully, if you're not keen on the idea of buying a game that uses Denuvo, you can just wait a wee while for it to be removed once Death Stranding's been inevitably cracked.

Well, honestly I have no intention of buying Death Stranding. I just don't like walking simulators.
But if I were to buy it, I sure as hell would be pissed off. Nobody likes Denuovo, it causes various problems especially on the performance side of things.

-Arcadia-

Banned
ZeK5Ezl.jpg

XGEUFES.jpg

MTEJBIy.jpg

🤔

Mithos

Yes. (Denuvo impacts my decision)
I own no game that have Denuvo (active) any game that I have that one time did have Denuvo, removed it before I got it/picked it up.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I already got this for PS4 Pro. I love the shit out of it. Played it for hundreds of hours and couldn’t get enough really

Definitely had thoughts of double dipping. Now, that’s up in the air. I might just wait til it’s super cheap

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Probably at locked 30 fps and monthly subscription costs for playing online.

X - Doubt

When PC games were bought in high numbers we got games that pushed the envelope constantly, still had free online, lax drm and games were designed with the PC in mind. The reality is that last two real PC exclusives were Doom 3 and Crysis

When piracy started exploding in the early 2000s with the rise of high speed internet it wasn't just few hundred thousand copies that were pirated to millions of copies.

Steam helped, but it sure as hell didn't stop the problem. Even GOG when it launches DRM free modern AAA games that are worth the money it didn't stop The Witcher 3 from being pirated even though it met 100% of the things that people who pirate said would stop from pirating!

-Several games worth of content
-DRM free
-Well optimized
-Constant support from developers

Numbers were still ridiculous. Don't accuse me if being a console fanboy either, I'm sending this to you from my Razer Blade Pro.

Last edited:

Aidah

I had already bought it on PC before I even played it on PS4. No, Denuvo has no impact on whether I buy it or not anyway. Also "walking simulator" lol.

Ellery

X - Doubt

When PC games were bought in high numbers we got games that pushed the envelope constantly, still had free online, lax drm and games were designed with the PC in mind. The reality is that last two real PC exclusives were Doom 3 and Crysis

When piracy started exploding in the early 2000s with the rise of high speed internet it wasn't just few hundred thousand copies that were pirated to millions of copies.

Steam helped, but it sure as hell didn't stop the problem. Even GOG when it launches DRM free modern AAA games that are worth the money it didn't stop The Witcher 3 from being pirated even though it met 100% of the things that people who pirate said would stop from pirating!

-DRM free
-Well optimized

Numbers were still ridiculous. Don't accuse me if being a console fanboy either, I'm sending this to you from my Razer Blade Pro.

Thank you for this thorough reply. I was just making a joke and now I feel terrible that you took the time to make a serious reply.

Fuz

Banned
X - Doubt

-DRM free
-Well optimized

You're a biased console fanboy who has zero grasp on reality.

it didn't stop The Witcher 3 from being pirated even though it met 100% of the things that people who pirate said would stop from pirating!

Thing is, there are some people who will pirate 100% of everything; they will never pay for books, movies, music, or games. They're rare, probably just as rare as those who never pirate a thing (who also exist..!)

The other thing is, most people reside somewhere along that spectrum. I'm probably right in saying that the vast majority of peeps on NeoGAF, for example, buy all their games, music, movies, and books. But there will be the odd occasion when we turn to a torrent for something. When Game of Thrones first started out, I torrented all the episodes because there was no way to watch it without a hefty cable subscription (and I wasn't prepared to wait for the DVDs). Then it became available on no-contract streaming, so I switched to that instead.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I have no intention on Day 1 for this game at $60. It does not represent any kind of value to me for what the game is doing and offers. That said, I'd be fine picking it up at $20. But Day 1 @$60 with Denuovo? De-nothanks.

X - Doubt

Don't forget Cryostasis. People really forget about this game. It's a low key masterpiece. And it's a pc exclusive. Came out in 2008, I believe.

Interesting, just today a new cracker is entered in the scene promising to defeat Denuvo. This will be really interesting !
But how do you rationalize that?
If I buy the physical copy, I'm allowed to play the non drm pirated version?
Yeah, I think that sounds reasonable.

luca_29_bg

But how do you rationalize that?
If I buy the physical copy, I'm allowed to play the non drm pirated version?
Yeah, I think that sounds reasonable.

Do you mean the ps4 version ? Or there will be a physical copy of the game for pc ? Beside the steam version ?

Do you mean the ps4 version ? Or there will be a physical copy of the game for pc ? Beside the steam version ?
No I mean, how do you approve piracy in your head?
Straight up pirating is bad.
But if I buy Death Stranding on steam or the physical version, but I don't like denuovo, I guess it's okay for me to pirate it? Because the pirated version doesn't have denuovo.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

No I mean, how do you approve piracy in your head?
Straight up pirating is bad.
But if I buy Death Stranding on steam or the physical version, but I don't like denuovo, I guess it's okay for me to pirate it? Because the pirated version doesn't have denuovo.

I said that it's interesting because i want to know how this will end up between the two parts, not that i approve piracy. And the pirated version will have denuvo, it's just emulated to make the game playable, it's not removed!

Leonidas

6 month delay from console release is an automatic what till half off at least from me, Denuvo might detract from that even further, haven't really put too much thought into it though.

I didn't mind Denuvo in DMC5, then again that came free with some stopgap GPU I was using for a month.

Kenpachii

This game is going to cost 20 bucks 2 months later. Feel bad for anybody buying this at full price.

These games have no legs at all on PC even remotely.

Last edited:
I am one of the people that absolutely loved DS and I will probably buy it again on PC because I'm a sucker.

If Denuovo has a significant performance hit, I'll just wait a few months for them to patch that bullshit out.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

X - Doubt

-DRM free
-Well optimized

Piracy on consoles is far bigger than PC, so there goes your argument.

Devs in the 2000's left PC because they where stuck in delivering death end single player games while everybody and there mom where playing online games. Which were simple not piratable because no online servers. Consoles where traditional single player machines which made it attractive specially with a PC like platform such as xbox360 to move towards it.

Single player games even today aren't really much interesting for most people, if it doesn't have online features its pretty much death on the spot on PC unless its a really really good game but also more PC centric than consoles like anno or billions.

Reason also why witcher 3 and metro moved to console solutions and not staying completely on PC because boom there you go, market just isn't there.

About your exclusives, PC has tons of exclusives mate. i should probably spend some time playing on PC. The biggest juggernaut games are all PC games already for two generations by now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom