• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding has sold five million copies on PS4 and PC

Genx3

Maybe because halo is a very well known and popular franchise and Death Stranding is a new and quite particular ip ? also that 5 millions for Halo 5 is a failure compared to the sales of the old Halo ?
Halo 5 sold well over 5 million copies. It literally sold 5 million copies in just 3 months and was considered a flop.
Even with the constant hypocrisy from fans Death Stranding still sold well.

Last edited:

A.Romero

disappointed with mgs3 sales, it's Koji best game 🤷‍♀️

It probably doesn't include subsistence (plus is PS2 only right after all the MGS2 controversy).

I'm glad for Kojima. He has maybe 3 more games in him if he takes care of himself. I'm looking forward to all of them.

MHubert

I do think Ryan's expectation is double figure sales on PS consoles alone, 10M at least. He sees games like HZD, GoW, UC4, TLoU2, S-M etc. pushing 15-20M units just on the PS4 alone, plus then further sales if ported to PC like HZD, whereas here we have 5M combined already, and probably similar result with Days Gone if we're at it.
He does, but, unless he is an idiot, he doesn't expect a new IP to magically sell almost double the amount of copies than the guys' previous games, Kojima or not.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Halo 5 sold well over 5 million copies. It literally sold 5 million copies in just 3 months and was considered a flop.
Even with the constant hypocrisy from fans Death Stranding still sold well.
Halo 3, Reach and 4 all sold 3.3 million units in NA alone in their first month.

Halo 5 sold 900k including bundles according to NPD in NA. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/npd-sales-results-for-october-2015-up1-xbox-1.1139444/post-185310434

MGS1-5 all sold around 5 million. DS selling 5 million is considered on par. Different expectations.

And speaking of expectations, Sony clearly expected a lot more than just five million. Days Gone supposedly sold 5 million as well. But Sony didnt greenlight either sequel.

Last edited:

Vasto

And yet when Halo 5 sells 5 million copies in 3 months its a flop

Halo 5 sold that much on Xbox One which around that time had only sold about 20 million units.

Halo is just in a league of its own. Still waiting to see what game is going to go up against Halo Infinite this holiday. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GymWolf

Me too. I think I put in 9 hours. Too much unfun bullshit. Also sales are tied more to hype, not whether the buyer actually enjoys the game. The percentage that actually completed the game might prove interesting for this title.
People are NEVER gonna understand this simple fact.

crozier

Sitting on my digital copy, patiently waiting for the $10 upgrade to PS5. This is how you do it, not forcing consumers to buy the stupid thing all over again. Looking at you FF7R and Greedfall.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

UnfinishedFamousCrocodileskink-size_restricted.gif

4d05fb362e8b259c5c51b353bfed87adc17e043b.gifv

Kind of nuts to be honest. It's basically going to sell on par with most MGS games when all is said and done. With a new ip, without the massive legacy that the MGS franchise had and it's insane hype cycles. Excited for whatever crazy thing Kojima makes next.

Vasto

Delusional. Bf and cod will eat it for breakfast. You not getting Halo 5 sequel because it failed.

Its not delusion, its Halo. Halo Infinite will be a bigger than both Call Of Duty, Battlefield and especially anything coming from Playstation. Halo is just on another level compared to everything else.

Halo 5 is getting a sequel. When you have games that you know are bigger than anything the competition has you can give a release for your game early not caring about what else is coming. Just like Bethesda already letting the world know Starfield is holiday 2022. You want some, come get some. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Good for them. It's a pretty unique game and it's nice we're also getting games like this instead of copy-pasted open world titles. With that said I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay as much as people I know who have finished it. At some point I just focused on the main story and didn't even think about going for the platinum.

SLB1904

Banned
Its not delusion, its Halo. Halo Infinite will be a bigger than both Call Of Duty, Battlefield and especially anything coming from Playstation. Halo is just on another level compared to everything else.

Halo 5 is getting a sequel. When you have games that you know are bigger than anything the competition has you can give a release for your game early not caring about what else is coming. Just like Bethesda already letting the world know Starfield is holiday 2022. You want some, come get some. :messenger_beaming:
You need help.

Kilau

Gold Member

4kwfsQV.gif

Outrunner

Danny Brown Laughing GIF by DANNY'S HOUSE

SLB1904

Banned
Imagine comparing your flagship game with a new ip from a new studio. Flexing Around 5 million shipped? Probably under 5 milliom or would definitely said over 5 mil. Because there is no confirmation halo sold through 5 million copies in 3 months at all the source for those numbers is neogaf from a MS employee.

Prove me wrong

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Congrats to Kojima and his team on the success of death stranding.

Dusk Golem The biggest fake insider in the industry proven wrong again.

How does this news prove that the info about 3 million unsold copies (something which by the way was reported a year and a half ago) was wrong?

Dream-Knife

Banned
It was a really good game, and I got the platinum in it, but I probably won't play it again. I'm a pretty big fan too, and I actually have a ton of merchandise from the game.

It's a niche game in all honestly. It's an experience that I think people should have. Unfortunately "game journalists" didn't really see the vision as they probably rushed through the game and played before other players were in the game.

I will say MGSV is my favorite Kojima game. Story isn't the best, but gameplay is GOAT.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You have any idea who you are talking to? You dumbass, I'm probably one of the biggest Sony and Death Stranding fans in all of GAF, and yet you're calling me a troll? Get the fuck outta here with your fanboy bullshit.
Eat iron and make bubbles tough guy

chill out guys. it aint that serious! who gives a shit what some insider said? they're all full of shit anyway and looking for followers. time will always do its work and reveal the rats.

we have the facts before us now and know that death stranding was a success.

Last edited:

Gp1

New franchise, niche/artsy game, complete out of the box gameplay, no multiplayer, didn't cost or was marketed nowhere near as Halo (or any consolidated AAA franchise),

That's why 5m here is a success and 5m at Halo 5 isn't.

Umbral

I’m glad the game sold well. I will be truly sad when Kojima leaves us and I pray that it is not for a very long time.

yurinka

So Kojima sells to about 5 million people, not to me though, not a big fan of his style. He must be doing something right if 5 million (I know technically more but will go by sales) people think his game is worth dropping cash on
They sold "more than 5 million' DS copies until now. It will continue selling and the DLC will give it a bump and will become his best selling game.

With something as risky as it is a new AAA IP about a futuristic mailman. Got great reviews and profit from both PS4 version and the PC port. And it must be a good profit since Days Gone also was profitable selling more or less the same but with a way longer development time and more people involved in the game.

So yes, it's a good business to invest in Kojima.

SLB1904

Banned
They sold "more than 5 million' DS copies until now. It will continue selling and the DLC will give it a bump and will become his best selling game.

With something as risky as it is a new AAA IP about a futuristic mailman. Got great reviews and profit from both PS4 version and the PC port. And it must be a good profit since Days Gone also was profitable selling more or less the same but with a way longer development time and more people involved in the game.

So yes, it's a good business to invest in Kojima.
This. kojima didn't have engine when death stranding was announced. It helps when you have a clear goal of what you want to do.
Everyone who worked on death stranding said kojima had the all game in his head.
Dude is a genius

SLB1904

Banned
So new IP now.? Is GT Sport a flop then since its a established IP. And millions down in sales compared to previous entries ?
Gt sport sold over 10mil copies. Also community is active as ever. And it's a spin off. Watch the numbers 7 will pull.
Halo 5 is failure that's why they rebooted.
Deal with it.

Last edited:
So new IP now.? Is GT Sport a flop then since its a established IP. And millions down in sales compared to previous entries ?

not an outright flop but not as big as it used to be. not surprising for halo after the original creators left. many of the fans left with them. many casuals left too after cod 4 modern warfare. 343i aint a good replacement imo. they're an average studio.

Top Bottom