• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding has sold five million copies on PS4 and PC

GHG

Gold Member
What's the split between platforms?

According to steamspy between 1-2 million on PC:

Also currently sat at a 90% positive rating on Steam reviews.

Kojima haters in the mud.

mejin

At least 4 million on PS4.

Probably wasn't the hit SIE expected, but it was on par of what to expect from Kojima.

SIE was way more enthusiastic about Ghost of Tsushima performance and talked about it every time as an example of success from a new ip.

Anyway, I still think Kojima should have some credits with SIE. I wonder if he'll go with a new ip or DS2.

Jack Uzi

Banned
mgnmmfg.png

What is the point of you?

realcool

yep. Would love it. NO bt's, no mules. Just survival
Obviously, I must've missed something in the conclusion because that's exactly what I was expecting after completing the story and was confused for a little bit when it didn't. Either way, I enjoyed myself.

realcool

According to steamspy between 1-2 million on PC:

Also currently sat at a 90% positive rating on Steam reviews.

Kojima haters in the mud.
Is it possible for steam users to hide their ownership data from steamspy?

GHG

Gold Member

No idea but there's a reason steamspy gives a range.

Information on how they collect their data is here:

GHG

Gold Member
Because why not?

Funfact: A game doesn't necessarily need to be PANPAN BOOMBOOM EXPLOOOOOOOOOOOSIONS... to be good game.

This game even has the PANPAN BOOMBOOM moments as well, it's just not all the time.

I feel sorry for those ADHD gamers who struggle to play anything that doesn't have a feedback loop like COD.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Obviously, I must've missed something in the conclusion because that's exactly what I was expecting after completing the story and was confused for a little bit when it didn't. Either way, I enjoyed myself.
lol yep. You can easily see who have not played the game.
"it's just a walking simulator" while in the real game you drive motorcycle and are interrupted every 3 seconds to kill bt's or mules :p

SSfox

This game even has the PANPAN BOOMBOOM moments as well, it's just not all the time.

I feel sorry for those ADHD gamers who struggle to play anything that doesn't have a feedback loop like COD.
Yes but the weapon in DS are uncommon and unique. And yeah i agree about the second part.

Also don't get me wrong, i like weapons in games specially when it's well made, in this generation RDR2 is the game that represented well weapon in terms of design and feeling imo, it's just annoys me when i see people trash a game because it's not in the categorie of their usual FPS shooter genre.

Reactions: GHG

SSfox

Dusk Golem's credibility went out the window when he admitted to making shit up to "balance things out between Xbox and PlayStation" and was stripped of his moderator position on ResetEra for it. If that wasn't the nail in the coffin, then this needs to be it.
Don't forget the "RE Village struggles to hit 1080p on PS5". Such a clown.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
100+ goty awards by far the most critics and fan awards out of any 2019 game.
5 million copies sold
Jim Ryan: not enough for a sequel. Greenlights deathloop instead.

Shameful.

tassletine

I was just messing with the gif. :messenger_beaming:
I really didnt like the game though. I managed 5 hours before giving up. I know its supposed to get better in the second half but i couldnt manage it lol.
It doesn't actually change much, just clicks. You start seeing optimal routes everywhere and taking chances.
Static boulders become small obstacles to your next destination, like cars would in GTA, and you begin to realise that Kojima is mocking open world game design -- Pretending you're doing nothing, when there is actually lots to do.

GHG

Gold Member
5 million copies sold

Shameful.

Although the sentiment is correct I don't think he greenlit Deathloop. That's a classic moneyhat job of the worst kind. Sony won't even own the IP which goes against what they usually do.

Last edited:

mejin

5 million copies sold

Shameful.

Jimbo wouldn't even bother with a Director's Cut if this was the case lol

mckmas8808

Banned
5 million copies sold

Shameful.

Are you sure Kojima even wants to make a sequel to DS? And how will he find the time to make that AND Silent Hills?

I think any game that sells over 5 million units is hardly a flop or failure. I think more of a issue for Halo 5 was it didn't move Hardware like MS were no doubt expecting
If a company has 750 developers, game directors keep quiting, a marketing budget almost as large as its development budget.. yeah 5 million can be a flop. Even if in the end it was a net profit.

hlm666

private profiles have always been ignored, but valve changed the api a few years back to stop the data being accurate. He used to be able scrape public user profiles and look at their game library basically, from what I understand after valve changed things he goes by reviews with the assumption x% to y% of the steam users leave reviews for games and thats why now you have the range instead of a pretty accurate single number.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Ok maybe this is separate question

But what is death stranding directors cut

The message is not clear i only see metal gear solid cardbox there

ZywyPL

Banned
Huge number, my personal guess was something around 3M, and in reality it's almost twice of that. People downplaying it here forget that it's a very specific title that doesn't have a universal appeal, it's not you everyday shooter/action game, and yet it did better than many of those kind of titles.

realcool

private profiles have always been ignored, but valve changed the api a few years back to stop the data being accurate. He used to be able scrape public user profiles and look at their game library basically, from what I understand after valve changed things he goes by reviews with the assumption x% to y% of the steam users leave reviews for games and thats why now you have the range instead of a pretty accurate single number.
I see. Thanks.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Ok maybe this is separate question

But what is death stranding directors cut

The message is not clear i only see metal gear solid cardbox there

It’s extra content, extra features, new stories, upgraded graphics/framerate/widescreen/dualsense support, new missions from diehard man and others and more. No content was cut from the game it was content complete.

im shocked at that figure even though i put in 178 hours into the game. the type of game it is, i would never have expected 5m and counting.

also with the directors cut, it could even go on to become kojima's best selling game, which is even more surprising. really happy for the studio. where is the flop brigade now?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
5 million copies sold

Shameful.

according to the above, ps4 version sold only 3m, maybe that is why, below Jimbo AAA sales expectations?

/greenlights jade raymond new project 🥱

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] below Jimbo AAA sales expectations?

I do think Ryan's expectation is double figure sales on PS consoles alone, 10M at least. He sees games like HZD, GoW, UC4, TLoU2, S-M etc. pushing 15-20M units just on the PS4 alone, plus then further sales if ported to PC like HZD, whereas here we have 5M combined already, and probably similar result with Days Gone if we're at it.

yazenov

At least 4 million on PS4.

Probably wasn't the hit SIE expected, but it was on par of what to expect from Kojima.

SIE was way more enthusiastic about Ghost of Tsushima performance and talked about it every time as an example of success from a new ip.

Anyway, I still think Kojima should have some credits with SIE. I wonder if he'll go with a new ip or DS2.

Yes If the Detroit Become Human sales is anything to go by, the majority of the sales are on the PS4, and soon to be on PS5 with the director's cut.

PlayStation is a software beast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom