• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Review Thread

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nope, kept it close to the original, they did some some armor though. Added 8 axis movement. Some QoL stuff as well.

Cool haptic feedback stuff.
i only played the ps5 version never played the OG..
(i did download the ps3 game after playing the ps5 version)
and it was weirdly similar

iHaunter

i only played the ps5 version never played the OG..
(i did download the ps3 game after playing the ps5 version)
and it was weirdly similar
Looking back now, the PS3 version sucks. Even though I must've beaten it 20+ times.

It's crazy how the remake captured the essence of it though.

Explosion Reaction GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Looking back now, the PS3 version sucks. Even though I must've beaten it 20+ times.

It's crazy how the remake captured the essence of it though.
it had some difficulty with the ps5 game ar first.. then i just clicked like souls game can do..
i was just surprise how effortless the ps3 version was after playing the ps5.

saintjules

I didn't get too far into the game. I crossed over to the new Continent (not sure on the chapter). Perfect time to get back in and continue.

All these games coming out this week, who really needs a big holiday game anyway? I'm set for the next year with what have alone lol.

saintjules

Transferring saves will be interesting.

A rather annoying process, although Ghost of Tsushima recently changed that, as the PS5 version of the title would scan the console for PS4 saves, and handle everything directly from that version, which is a great time saver that we hope gets implemented in other titles.

Sadly, Death Stranding doesn’t support that kind of save transferring, but instead opts in requiring users to have the original PS4 version installed in order to start the process of transferring a save. However, unlike all those other titles that allow you to upload your saves directly from the main start menu, Death Stranding adds an extra step to this by only making the menu accessible from a delivery terminal. Meaning you’ll need to play the game before you can transfer your save.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Transferring saves will be interesting.

yes you have to run the regular ps4 version of the game and upload the save from the in-game menu. That should enable a load option when you boot DC version for the first time.

If you own the PS4 version do you have to re-buy this on PS5?

I don't get it? In the UK PSN it shows 44GBP price for the DC when I already own the OG on PS4. I thought it was supposed to offer a $10 or so upgrade?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The best game.
Was hoping for "no bt, no mules safe mode" just to focus on landscapes and traversal but ok. I hope new additions do not detract from survival core

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
What I'm most curious about is how some people who enjoyed it described it as a journey, a work of art and something almost transcendental. The word "game" didn't exist.

Can't wait to jump in.

MattVT

If I have the disc version of the PS4 base game, how do I upgrade to the PS5 digital deluxe edition? Do I do it through the game itself? I don’t see a way to do it on the store without paying full price.

My only criticisms about death stranding are: the gameplay is not suited for combat. I hated the boss fights. BTs are more of an annoyance than a threat.

Mozzarella

Honestly I dont understand the reviews for Director Cuts, unless they are adding a lot of new stuff then i dont think they deserve to get another review. Expansions got reviews in the past and that is understandable but upgrade with few addition? im not sure it should get reviewed like that. P.S not criticizing the thread so dont get me wrong, just giving my thoughts on this new trend in the industry, it seems to me that the new reviews purpose is just to make the score higher and sell more copies. Same happened with other Director cuts and game re-release like Persona 5 Royal. Expansions and New games only imo. I think CDPR will try this trick with their next gen of Cyberpunk as well, good marketing move lol.

Anyway, I played Death Stranding recently, good game with top tier directing, it genuinely felt like a movie, its also inspired game with innovative ideas, but it wasnt very fun to play honestly, a lot of talking when i did deliveries too, overall it was good game for sure, the music and the scenery are so amazing, rivals Hollywood. The gameplay is innovative but basic and becomes a slog sometimes, the inventory is overwhelming with all the info and text. But if you want new experience you have to try this game, its great on PC and on PS5.

Sorry for the rant.

Sadly, we were a bit late in requesting a copy from Sony for a prior to launch chance review. However, they were nice enough to send us a review voucher today on the day of release. So super stoked to have an official product code from Sony, this is the first time we ever get anything from them and I am super excited for this. Shout outs to them and looking forward to playing it, glad I skipped the original PS4 release. I hear there is much more here, so can't wait to dive in, I love ALL THINGS GAMING!

THEAP99

Banned
My only criticisms about death stranding are: the gameplay is not suited for combat. I hated the boss fights. BTs are more of an annoyance than a threat.
Yeah honestly I avoided combat at all costs. Just wasn't that fun to do.

I also hated how there'd be loadtimes in-between some cut scenes. Really would kill the vibe. I'm glad that at least they're 1-3 seconds now instead of 30+. Still wish they were fully seamless though

Top Bottom