• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Nintendo, we have to talk…

Impotaku

Easy way to mantain backwards compatability, stop selling your consoles the second a new one gets released. For me this is a total non issue i never got locked out of any of the older libraries of games as i kept everything. The drama & pearl clutching on here is pretty laughable.

I’m all in on the Switch. If Nintendo decides to not do BC with their next console, that’s the one I’m not gonna bother with. Sony was smart enough with the PS5 otherwise I wouldn’t have bought one, because the PS5 library just isn’t there yet. Nintendo needs to give me a good reason to upgrade, and that will be a tall order without BC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is 100% why I'm not buying Tears of the Kingdom.

Same.

Well, to be more accurate, my nephew borrowed my Switch like a year ago (I wasn't really using it anymore), and I'm not getting that one back. So as much as I want to play TOTK, that would mean buying a new Switch, and they are still the same price they were six years ago (!!!). Nah, not doing that at this point. Give me that Switch 2.

Alkemyst

Still getting TOTK day 1 whether the next system is BC or not. I’ll just keep my Switch if it’s not.

Dear OP,

Nintendo here. We would like our next Switch to be BC too. This is in our interests as well as yours. We don't want people like you going somewhere else because our new machine doesn't play your old games. In the past we've made our machines BC wherever possible.

However, this isn't always possible because of the nature of the evolution of CPUs and GPUs.

Thank you for your feedback,

Nintendo

PS. We know you're going to buy our new stuff whatever

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Not sure if I'd approach the (potential) problem the same way. Just don't buy the new console if it's not BC and maybe wait until its library of new games is large enough to justify the purchase.

As long as digital games are supported idc.

But the discussion is kinda funny to be honest. GAF in
2019: Switch is old, bring a new one.
2020: Now it must be coming, it‘s obvious it‘s old
2021: seriously Nintendo, what you waiting for?
2022: It can‘t even run your first party titles without shitty framerate, a successor is long overdue!!!
2023: This will be the year we‘ll get a new one!

Also GAF:
2023: No, without BC I‘m not upgrading.

Last edited:
I mean unless they’re assholes and make Metroid Prime 4 a “Switch 2” exclusive I won’t even be tempted to buy a new system anyways. It’s not like Nintendo is likely to do performance enhancing BC like Xbox anyways, so I wouldn’t be tempted that way either.

BC has no bearing on games released now. Would you really avoid a critically acclaimed game because you might not be able to play it on the Switch's successor? Nintendo has usually tried for some form of BC. GC games on Wii, Wii on Wii U, GB on GBA, GBA on NDS, and NDS on 3DS. Nintendo's move to an account system also supports efforts towards BC. Wild speculation by those whose business is to generate attention shouldn't lead to an immediate rejection of Nintendo's track record.
I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear enough. I’m not avoiding because of punishment towards Nintendo.

I would avoid because I’m certain new Nintendo hardware is mid/late 2023-early 2024. ( If this premise is true, I’m sure Nintendo will release upgraded versions of these Switch games if it is not BC).

Essentially, why am I double dipping if they are going to make us by the games again as Deluxe versions? This time I would wait or consider skipping Switch 2.

Games like Mario Strikers, and Mario Golf be released with more features and content? Will the re-release Bayonetta 3 so it runs the way a Bayonetta game should run? Will they re-release some games so they don’t look like a blurry mess…ahem *cough* Xeno 2. It just seems like Nintendo is moving this way. Again, I’m not against this. Just communicate.

I realize this goes in the face of business practices. Yet, I think they still will address it honestly. Likely around the investor meeting or in June after Zelda.

Last edited:

kubricks

They will re-release switch games on the new HW in forms of enhanced/complete edition at full price and fanboys will love them for it.

Better yet, drip feed old Switch games via the latest Nintendo online + Ultra expansion turbo pack, where carefully selected switch games will be playable on the new HW!!!

Joke aside, given the number of switch console they have already sold, I doubt the extra cost of BC on the new HW is justified. People wanted to play switch games already bought the console, most likely more than one.

Last edited:

Woopah

I’m sorry. I wasn’t clear enough. I’m not avoiding because of punishment towards Nintendo.

I would avoid because I’m certain new Nintendo hardware is mid/late 2023-early 2024. ( If this premise is true, I’m sure Nintendo will release upgraded versions of these Switch games if it is not BC).

Essentially, why am I double dipping if they are going to make us by the games again as Deluxe versions? This time I would wait or consider skipping Switch 2.

Games like Mario Strikers, and Mario Golf be released with more features and content? Will the re-release Bayonetta 3 so it runs the way a Bayonetta game should run? Will they re-release some games so they don’t look like a blurry mess…ahem *cough* Xeno 2. It just seems like Nintendo is moving this way. Again, I’m not against this. Just communicate.

I realize this goes in the face of business practices. Yet, I think they still will address it honestly. Likely around the investor meeting or in June after Zelda.
Nintendo has said that Nintendo accounts and NSO will continue on their next platform.

But I doubt they go into any details on BC for a console which isn't even announced yet. Don't expect anything at the investor meeting, unless an investor asks about it.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Same.

Well, to be more accurate, my nephew borrowed my Switch like a year ago (I wasn't really using it anymore), and I'm not getting that one back. So as much as I want to play TOTK, that would mean buying a new Switch, and they are still the same price they were six years ago (!!!). Nah, not doing that at this point. Give me that Switch 2.
To me, it's like why buy it now when Nintendo will inevitably re-release it in a year or so on more capable hardware? And if the new console won't be backwards compatible, all the more reason to wait for the better version.

Nautilus

Banned
Meanwhile at Nintendo...

Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

belmarduk

I don't understand why this would impact your decision to buy TotK.
Surely, Nintendo has a new console they're working on and it will probably at least be reveled later this year or early next year.. long after you would have played and beaten TotK.

It's a Zelda game, bruh. Its going to be great.

dezzy8

So you currently own a switch... but are going to hold out buying any more Switch games if its successor isn't backwards compatible?

What kind of retarded logic is this?
Because he thinks that if it isn’t bc then Nintendo is just going to port the switch games to the news console and he wants to avoid buying games twice.

Sgt.Asher

Is this because some twat without any knowledge of what they are doing said switch 2 may not be backwards compatible?

Nintendo has said that Nintendo accounts and NSO will continue on their next platform.

But I doubt they go into any details on BC for a console which isn't even announced yet. Don't expect anything at the investor meeting, unless an investor asks about it.
You are correct. I take that to mean NSO will continue on next gen. It does not mean eshop purchases will be. I personally think that statement was crafted very specifically.

I also think they will be asked some tougher questions this year. Honestly, I think ToTK was specifically placed in May so they can try and pivot the questions. Stating “We have This major release in the next few weeks they will carry the first 2/3 of the fiscal year”.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

The company is not going to start marketing the next thing until they need to. If you don't want to buy Nintendo games because you don't know what the future holds that is fine, but there is never a guarantee that SW on one device will work on future devices. I think we all assume our switch games will work because we all think we are getting a more powerful switch. But we have no idea. I think it would be a smart idea to essentially create a more powerful switch at the same price point.

VAVA Mk2

It's pure speculation based off a video of what hardware they could use and not an insider report of trouble with BC or anything of the sort. We should pay it no mind until proven otherwise.

And yeah I don't really want to mar Tears with that 8 year old underclocked TX1, the "Nintendo doesn't need power because art" crowd is dead wrong and there's a bunch of that beautiful art hidden under the lacks of AA, AF, and resolution
Plenty of Unreal Engine Zelda demos shows they are wrong. I want a beautiful, technical marvel set in the Zelda world (I still love me some OoT, WW, and BotWz though).

LordOfChaos

Plenty of Unreal Engine Zelda demos shows they are wrong. I want a beautiful, technical marvel set in the Zelda world (I still love me some OoT, WW, and BotWz though).
Even just CEMU etc. Crank up the resolution and filtering and it looks way better than any official hardware you can run it on. Even the Steam Deck would play it visually better. And that's just with the same assets in the same Nintendo engine.

Is this because some twat without any knowledge of what they are doing said switch 2 may not be backwards compatible?
Partially, yes. I actually asked a software developer for another platform. They don’t develop for Nintendo. They said the easiest answer is to include an X1 chip on every board of Switch 2. The downside to this, is Nvidia’s board price would increase. I was told a $500 minimum Switch 2. If this was the case. Which is not a deal breaker. But the hardware quality needs to improve over Switch.

LordOfChaos

Partially, yes. I actually asked a software developer for another platform. They don’t develop for Nintendo. They said the easiest answer is to include an X1 chip on every board of Switch 2. The downside to this, is Nvidia’s board price would increase. I was told a $500 minimum Switch 2. If this was the case. Which is not a deal breaker. But the hardware quality needs to improve over Switch.

I think everyone is overthinking this and this solution is unnecessary and costly, so long as they have ARM cores with equal to more threads and more performance per thread, and an Nvidia GPU, it shouldn't take that much to offer BC without a second chip. This was the whole appeal of sticking with x86+AMD in the other camps, but both the CPU and GPU architectures are newer than the old ones in all cases. This is not a problem so long as you haven't done bizarrely old school to-the-clock programming as on the first generations of consoles. Nvidia is also helping with the NVN2 API again.

That silly video based on parts bin speculation threw everyone off and should be ignored. It wasn't even an insider rumor of struggles with BC or anything.

Last edited:

Woopah

You are correct. I take that to mean NSO will continue on next gen. It does not mean eshop purchases will be. I personally think that statement was crafted very specifically.

I also think they will be asked some tougher questions this year. Honestly, I think ToTK was specifically placed in May so they can try and pivot the questions. Stating “We have This major release in the next few weeks they will carry the first 2/3 of the fiscal year”.
They'll have to talk about the 2nd half of their fiscal year at somepoint, as so far we know next to nothing about it. But they'll porbbaly do that in June or July.

Marvel14

Banned
I think Nintendo will announce what is to come when Nintendo is ready to share that information.

You can do whatever you want, enjoy this stance you’ve taken. You’re gonna go far.

EDIT:

Dear Nintendo,

(Know your audience, bro. Am I Nintendo? Do you expect someone of my age to relate agreeably to your cause through digital, wrongly addressed snail-mail? I’m a cynical dickhead on the internet, old enough but not too old, to think it’s still funny to post .gifs. .Gifs that I alone, search up, download, and upload to this site. They’re uploaded because I’m too tired to copy and paste some URL I found on Google Images and have it not be compatible with the site. I figure I’m safe, I only allow access to “select photographs.”)

In light of recent conversations (With me?) regarding future Nintendo hardware, (Oh, my holms Nintendo) and this rampant speculation (by who) that the Switch successor (they’re making one!?!?) may not be Backwards Compatible, (oh shit, what?) combined with my belief that you will indeed talk about Switch 2 this year…2023. (You must know your stuff, I haven’t even heard of a successor to the mighty Nintendo Switch.)

(“In light of recent conversations“ implies that you, personally, have had multiple conversations with the multinational, conglomerate known simply as “Nintendo.” Nintendo is not a singular entity, it is a corporation assembled by a shit load of people (Father, Son, Holy Ghost) who don’t spend their time writing fake letters to the one, youthful side of middle aged GAF (and the other, scarier side) to appease masturbatory rants. I can only assume, by this posting that you are among us somewhere in age. Anyone who pens a “Dear Abby” letter to NeoGAF ain’t no spring chicken.)

I think I am going to refrain from buying any more Switch games until we have clarification on next gen. I am not saying BC is a deal breaker. (I like how threatening you are here. It would have been more entertaining if you called for the public execution of every board member. But, your approximate $180 dollar withdrawal from their coffers is, hilarious as laudable.) Far from it (again, love the drama). Yet, I do want to know, before I spend money. So myself and many other consumers can make sound decisions. (You might not want to think this decision you have made is public hivemind consciousness.)

Hopefully (Haha) you decide to shed some light at the investor meeting in late April. (I want a full and precise count of every single word and breathe spoken/taken at this meeting. I now believe that you are a large investor who can obtain this knowledge themselves. I cannot wait for you to pose them this question. I hope you frame it as you have here.) You can give basic answers without confirming new hardware. I am looking forward to TOTK (being older, it took me some time to figure out what the fuck this acronym is. I thought with your great investor knowledge you had some sort of insight to a new piece of hardware known as the TOTK. I thought the name might have been inspired by the ever popular Tik-Tok. And no, douchebag, not that Ke$ha song.) but I will wait until we have clarification. (Again, I wish you luck at this board meeting, you have them by the short hairs.)

I am curious what other consumers think (Is this market research?)…not about my decision, but actually about your feelings toward Nintendo and the recent speculation. Regardless of anyones opinion, the whispers and forum speculation is only growing louder. What do YOU think about Nintendo and their lack of communication? (No, not market research. It’s a way to sum a rant up by peppering on some sort of appeal to like minded thinkers. Most letters don’t end this way. The use of bold and the full-on capitalization of YOU proves this case like I’m mother fucking Johnnie Cochran.)

I’m not trying to be an asshole; I like that you’re standing up and making an informed decision as a consumer towards a company currently worth forty-eight billion dollars

While I don’t agree with the general principals of your argument due to a basic knowledge of business decisions, I’ll stand with you. If everyone was like you, we would know about the newest Nintendo hardware the second this was posted. It would be a badass utopia where we would know everything in advance so that we, as consumers, could make better, smarter decisions. But alas, we are only consumers, and this is only a video game forum in a time where no one under the age of 24 knows the meaning of the word.

I don’t take issue with the message, it’s the format. But, I stand with you. Two years ago, the wife and I had a flat during hard times. Had to sell the Nintendo Switch for a tire, on a car that said “Just Married.”

FUCK NINTENDO, those fuckers, the bitches who won’t tell me, ME, if I should buy an OLED Switch or wait for new hardware.

Cocksuckers, do you think I want to spend the $350 plus TOTK plus PRO CONTROLLER to only find out tomorrow, because of us, that they are announcing the next console without backwards compatibility? I would feel worse than a fool, worse than an asshole. I’d be a pigeon. Some bitch-ass sucker.

Fuck that, let’s do this. 100%
You have a lot of time on your hands.

Filben

I only play a handful of games on the Switch and that is Switch only games like Mario Kart and Zelda games. So BC would be welcomed but isn't something important to me. Unless there is a new Zelda for the Switch 2 only I've little reason to buy the successor anyways.

I most certainly have finished Tears of the Kingdom, too, by the time Switch 2 comes.

StereoVsn

I stopped buying bigger games on the Switch since performance is crap for a lot of them. Hopefully next Switch is BC and if not, will wait a few years to get it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo has historically been one of the most anti-consumer when it comes to digital ownership and BC.
Nintendo consoles with BC:
Gameboy
Gameboy color
Gameboy advance
DS
Wii
3DS
Wii U

Nintendo consoles without BC:
SNES
N64
GameCube
Switch

WTF are some of you talking about, Nintendo had non existent account system until Switch.

I'm not counting NES for obvious reasons.

BTW Nintendo is saying since 2015 that they don't want to start future generations from zero and that it was the reason why they invested in a better account system, people is overreacting or just taking advantage of the situation to shit on them

Edit: I put GC as BC before lol, but even then then only non BC console from Nintendo in the last 17 before Switch came out was the that one, quite a record for BC support if you ask me

Last edited:
PS4 didn't have backwards compatibility and it still sold like hotcakes to the tune of 118 million. If Nintendo still goes with the hybrid system in its new hardware and with no backwards compatibility, it would still sell like hotcakes more than likely.

Most of Nintendo Switch owners are loyal fans, casuals, and portable enthusiasts. I'm sure there will be disappointed people if there is no bc, but probably won't doom their new Switch hardware.

Gameboy
Gameboy color
Gameboy advance
GameCube
DS
Wii
3DS
Wii U

SNES
N64
Switch

WTF are some of you talking about, Nintendo had non existent account system until Switch.

BTW Nintendo is saying since 2015 that they don't want to start future generations from zero and that it was the reason why they invested in a better account system, people is overreacting or just taking advantage of the situation to shit on them

That’s a lot of important consoles that don’t have BC

Gameboy
Gameboy color
Gameboy advance
GameCube
DS
Wii
3DS
Wii U

SNES
N64
Switch

Half of the posts in this thread was nothing more than console warring from other console fans saying that Nintendo has no history or a poor history of backwards compatibility. Kind of like the other thread where they don't count the Wii or the Switch success as a recovery from poorly sold consoles, whereas in the business and financial world this is considered a recovery. Only some delusional console warrior definition that wasn't a recovery.

This reads like you're afraid to fully call out nintendo for their shitty practices. Grow some balls man!

No BC? NO BUY for me.
No. They totally do have some faults.

Am I willing to trade BC for say better hardware or actual “good” Major 3rd party support. You betcha.

IE…COD, madden, SFVI, Dead space or Mass Effect, Resident Evil, etc.

Or hardware that was the build quality of Apple? You bet.

But do they need to start being more open with consumers? Yes, absolutely.

Quite honestly, I actually wished Apple would acquire Nintendo and just be done with it.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

you're not that gullible are you?

Nevermind that not buying a game like Tears of Kingdom because you don't have a written guarantee of b/c for future hardware you haven't purchased is a heavy dose of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It will have to be BC otherwise, expect another Wii U/Gamecube/N64 type of flop Compared to its predecessor. Seriously doubt it wont have BC. Nintendo and their portbales have normally had BC. And consoles/portables are more like PC architecture now days.

Last edited:

SnowydayUK

Neo Member
Dear Nintendo,

In light of recent conversations regarding future Nintendo hardware, and this rampant speculation that the Switch successor may not be Backwards Compatible, combined with my belief that you will indeed talk about Switch 2 this year…2023.

I think I am going to refrain from buying any more Switch games until we have clarification on next gen. I am not saying BC is a deal breaker. Far from it. Yet, I do want to know, before I spend money. So myself and many other consumers can make sound decisions. Because, if there is no BC, everyone realizes you will sell everyone enhanced Switch titles as Deluxe versions on Switch 2. Which is fine. Not at $60-$70, imo. But overall it is fine. But why make us buy twice? Dirty pool.

Hopefully you decide to shed some light at the investor meeting in late April. You can give basic answers without confirming new hardware. I am looking forward to TOTK, but I will wait until we have clarification.

I am curious what other consumers think…not about my decision, but actually about your feelings toward Nintendo and the recent speculation. Regardless of anyones opinion, the whispers and forum speculation is only growing louder. What do YOU think about Nintendo and their lack of communication?

Edit: I apologize for confusion. That was my bad on not clarifying. I am operating under the premise that new Nintendo hardware is coming between mid 2023 and early 2024. *Assuming this premise is correct* (I realize it could be wrong). Assuming it is correct, without BC I 100% expect Nintendo to resell Deluxe versions with upgraded graphics and content of many of the Switch era games. Mario kart 8 Complete Ultra edition for example. I would expect ToTK to be a launch game also.

This is why I would refrain from future Switch purchases until clarification.

Ironically, Nintendo investor meeting is right before ToTK. Nintendo will not be able to evade tougher questions this year. Everything from Switch releases going forward, Saudi investment, next gen questions, to the Microsoft partnership.

I think it is a unique time where some clarifications will have to be made. Will they answer all these questions? Absolutely not. Some of them… Yes, I believe they have too.
Hi mate it’s me SnowydayUK on Twitter I missed you please come back to twitter I miss talking to you and I thought something happened to you I was worried

Marvel14

Banned
Easy way to mantain backwards compatability, stop selling your consoles the second a new one gets released. For me this is a total non issue i never got locked out of any of the older libraries of games as i kept everything. The drama & pearl clutching on here is pretty laughable.
Its fun to want things...

Impotaku

Gameboy
Gameboy color
Gameboy advance
GameCube
DS
Wii
3DS
Wii U

SNES
N64
Switch

SNES had backwards compatability just same way as GameCube did. You could play gb games on SNES with the super gameboy in the same way you could play gb/gba on GameCube with gameboy player. So that leaves at the moment only n64 and switch.

Shocking how so few on here seem to know fuck all about Nintendo as like your list shows most of Nintendo’s consoles have bc in some form weither built in or in the form of some additional hardware add on like SNES/GC.

Top Bottom